Team Pilipinas Basketball

rakizta

smart-gilas just massacred team powerade. cj giles was clearly the difference. but even during the extended stretch that cj giles was in the bench, the 5 inside the court were able to keep the lead. so all those arguments about which is the better team to represent our country just went out the window.

Guest megalodon

Smart-Gilas just annihilated RP-Powerade by 29 points. Crisp passing, tenacious rebounding, collapsing defense especially CJ Giles who made the paint his house by blocking or intimidating whoever treaded it. It may be too early to say but if Smart-Gilas plays this way and goes to international competitions frequently, we may just go to the Olympics in 2012. This team will go places. :thumbsupsmiley:

Edited by megalodon

^

just as long as mvp has crushes on boys, funding won't be a problem. :D

Smart-Gilas just annihilated RP-Powerade by 29 points. Crisp & accurate passing, tenacious rebounding, collapsing defense especially CJ Giles who made the paint his house by blocking or intimidating whoever treaded it. It may be too early to say but if Smart-Gilas plays this way and goes to international competitions frequently, we may just go to the Olympics in 2012. This team will go places. :thumbsupsmiley:

not too sure about this though. more like wishful thinking in my perspective. but hey, i'm with you in hoping.

Guest megalodon
^

just as long as mvp has crushes on boys, funding won't be a problem. :D

not too sure about this though. more like wishful thinking in my perspective. but hey, i'm with you in hoping.

I'm basing my assessment on what I saw today and the fact that there is still room for improvement since the next major tournament to qualify for the Olympics is 2 years away. It's not really a pipe dream. Mukhang kakayanin.

Makakaroon pala ng exhibition games ang Powerade Team Pilipinas at Smart-Gilas for the benefit of the typhoon victims, maganda 'to para ma-assessed ang capability ng Smart-Gilas, I pick Team Pilipinas to romp away by 15 points or more..

which team pilipinas are we talking about now? :thumbsupsmiley:

Guest megalodon
i wasn't able to watch the game but how was it? pba players embarassed by the amatuer players? pano nangyari yun? who watched the game? any feedbacks?

You better believe it. 98-69. The outside guns of Smart-Gilas were blazing all-night long plus the crisp passing. What I liked was their hustle and defense. This team could be the new NCC.

You better believe it. 98-69. The outside guns of Smart-Gilas were blazing all-night long plus the crisp passing. What I liked was their hustle and defense. This team could be the new NCC.

hahahahaha .... the strongest backer of the POWERADE TEAM suddenly becomes a believer of the GILAS TEAM.

Isn't it what me and other guys have been saying all along? LETS GIVE THIS TEAM A CHANCE!!!

• Like (+1) 5
This may not be the last time a PBA team will represent RP in international competition based on what Commissioner Barrios said. Yeng Guaio suggested that we send our best to major tournaments. Barrios will discuss this with the PBA Board and if he gets its consent, Barrios will talk to his predecessor regarding the sending of an all-pro team to major tourneys. I absolutely agree with this.
Which is why I said in my earlier posts that this should be the same team sent to future major tourneys since the players are quite familiar with each other. If ever a player retires or gets old, that's the only time that player should be replaced.

As for the score comparison, I know it wasn't an indication. I was just elated at the fact that Iran beat us only by 10 points while they beat China by 18 points. It was the finals last night so it is expected that China play as if there was no tomorrow. However, Iran proved that it was the better team and it wanted it the title more. Mejo nakakapagpanibago coz I remember Iran used to be our whipping boy in the 90's. Now, they made China their whipping boy.

The amateur players still don't have the maturity to play FIBA level. Asi and Mick should be replaced since they're getting old but the core of this team should be kept. In my opinion, the team should ditch De Ocampo and Thoss and replace them with Seigle and K-Will once the 2 recover.
Well, then just send the Smart-Gilas team but I very much doubt that they could qualify for the Olympics. I'm not being pessimistic. Just being realistic. Unless Toroman could do wonders in 2 years time. A more realistic goal would be the 2016 Olympics but Smart-Gilas has to have an intact line-up until that time and of course naturalize a big man or two.

Ahem.....

Paalala ko lang ung mga discussions natin 2 months ago.

Also, think of Smart-Gilas last vs Powerade

Insert mo si Rabeh, Greg Slaughter, insert mo si Chris Lutz, insert Jared Dillinger and Gabe Norwood

Give the team maybe 1 reinforced conference with the PBA (open height limit for imports); 2 Jones Cup stints; 2 FIBA Champions cup tournament; add perhaps exhibition games in Serbia

My friends, you have a formidable team right there.

some people tend to think the conventional way kasi ... porke na ang mga PBA superstars ang more established players ofcourse logically they are the best but that is for now.

remember that the pba continously turn into these amatures as rookie draftees to infuse "fresh blood" into the pba. in due time these amatures/rookies will become the established superstars.

therefore are we preparing for the battle now or in the future?

ofcourse, in the end the Gilas team may still fail to qualify for the olympics. that is fine as long as we know that we have a battleplan and executed it well. for me what is there to loose anyway, the pba have been trying since 1990 and failed.

• Like (+1) 5

i think last night's charity game settles the debate on which team is best to send to international tourneys

granted, Powerade didnt have all its players at its disposal (for various reasons) and they obviously they played it loose and light...kasi nga in about 6 days start na ng 35th season

but you have to hand it to a team that is still in development

who is not expected to reach its peak in 2 years

malaki ang potential...ika nga

but is it enough?

i'm not sure, but from how they played last night...they're the best chance we've got to get that ticket to 2012

Smart-Gilas just annihilated RP-Powerade by 29 points. Crisp passing, tenacious rebounding, collapsing defense especially CJ Giles who made the paint his house by blocking or intimidating whoever treaded it. It may be too early to say but if Smart-Gilas plays this way and goes to international competitions frequently, we may just go to the Olympics in 2012. This team will go places. :thumbsupsmiley:

YUP ... sing your HOSSANAS now Mr ALL PRO PBA TEAM SHOULD REPRESENT THE PHILS IN INTL TOURNAMENT SUPPORTER

Shows na may PANININDIGAN KA TALAGA!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

No wonder, you're all praises for your team if it wins and makes excuses when it LOSE!!!

• Like (+1) 5
Guest megalodon
Ahem.....

Insert mo si Rabeh, Greg Slaughter, insert mo si Chris Lutz, insert Jared Dillinger and Gabe Norwood

Give the team maybe 1 reinforced conference with the PBA (open height limit for imports); 2 Jones Cup stints; 2 FIBA Champions cup tournament; add perhaps exhibition games in Serbia

The game last night made me a believer. The next FIBA for qualifying for the Olympics is still 2 years away so the Smart-Gilas team still could polish their game. I guess I underestimated the team. Hehe.

Guest megalodon
Wala bang video nyan? Kelan ba ipapalabas o replay man lang, di ko kasi napanood... Nakakahiya naman yun, 29pts ahahahah...

Nakatago pa rin ba ang alas ni Yeng Guaio? hehehe

Kaya pala hanggang elimination lang sila paglalaruin ng pba, kasi baka smart gilas pa ang mag Champion hehehe...

Not sure when but the game showed the potential of Smart-Gilas. Puede magchampion tong Smart-Gilas. Under PBA rules yung laro kagabi tapos talo pa din yung Powerade. Smart-Gilas played excellent team ball.

The game last night made me a believer. The next FIBA for qualifying for the Olympics is still 2 years away so the Smart-Gilas team still could polish their game. I guess I underestimated the team. Hehe.

pare, with all my sincerity MY HATS OFF TO YOU for humbly accepting that you underestimate the Gilas Team.

PEACE!!! :cool:

• Like (+1) 2
tinambakan ng Smart Gilas ang Powerade by 29 points. This is a wake up call for the PBA.

tama na yung puro pacute na players na puro naman alahoy ang tira. Smart Gilas is the real thing.

I concur, Yeng and his pro players were humiliated by 29 points, they were an eyesore to watched last night, to sum it all, its as if they were a bunch of amateurs..

i wasn't able to watch the game but how was it? pba players embarassed by the amatuer players? pano nangyari yun? who watched the game? any feedbacks?

Hanep ang outside shooting at movement ng mga players ng Smart-Gilas bro more particularly Casio and Ababou, while Giles is an imposing figure sa shaded area as he is swatting away shots (and even an attempted slam by Norwood yata), if he could do that against the giants of Asias powerhouses (like Iran, China, Sokor) then this team would definitely go places. Bilib din ako doon sa Ballesteros (SSC Stags), 'di takot makipagsabayan kina Thoss at Taulava sa rebound. Also, Giles is not exactly an amateur..

Under the tutolage of Toroman, they could might as well be the new NCC, now I know why Iran is where it is right now..

i think last night's charity game settles the debate on which team is best to send to international tourneys

granted, Powerade didnt have all its players at its disposal (for various reasons) and they obviously they played it loose and light...kasi nga in about 6 days start na ng 35th season

but you have to hand it to a team that is still in development

who is not expected to reach its peak in 2 years

malaki ang potential...ika nga

but is it enough?

i'm not sure, but from how they played last night...they're the best chance we've got to get that ticket to 2012

Its just one game, but it definitely showed what Toroman had done and what he could do for this team. To cut the pros some slack, well, according doon sa isang sportscaster kagabi, matagal na daw silang di nakakapag-practice at 5 players lang ang nakaka-attend sa practice nila dahil committed na din sila sa respective mother teams nila, that is tantamount to saying na they treated this game against Gilas lightly, thinking that they had the advantage, without being insesitive to the victims of Typhoon "Ondoy" and definitely no pun intended, its actually reminiscent of the government taking "Ondoy" for granted dahil signal no. 1 lang at wala pang dalang malakas na hangin. Also, kung tinanggap lang sana ni Guiao ang alok ni Toroman noon nang mag-volunteer s'ya (to be a scout) for the Powerade Team Pilipinas, well sobrang pride at divisiveness kasi on their part na din 'yun. In my opinion, dito makikita ang divisiveness natin, na maski sa basketball may dalawang organization who are trying to outdo each other. Actually walang talo si MVP dito, me team s'ya sa PBA at me RP Team pa s'ya..

ang isa sa magandang ginawa ng Gilas Team is yung consistency sa perimeter shooting

Na maski si Giles at Aguilar are sinking their outside shots..

Wala bang video nyan? Kelan ba ipapalabas o replay man lang, di ko kasi napanood... Nakakahiya naman yun, 29pts ahahahah...

Nakatago pa rin ba ang alas ni Yeng Guaio? hehehe

Kaya pala hanggang elimination lang sila paglalaruin ng pba, kasi baka smart gilas pa ang mag Champion hehehe...

Ipinalabas kagabi sa CS9 actually bro. Itinago nga ng todo ni Guiao ang alas ng na hanggang ngayon 'di pa din mahanap..

Edited by Agent_mulder

last night was a big game for the smart gilas i admit even i was surprised how they easily handled the powerade team pilipinas anyway let's hold our comment and watched what this team can do when they play against different pba ball clubs when the season opens i for one am excited to see what they can do and try to upstaged smb, ginebra, purefoods etc.. however i think japeth will not be able to suit up, tis a shame i really would like him to show coach yeng what he can do and let yeng salivate what he could have contributed to burger king.

Guest megalodon
Ahem.....

I think this Smart-Gilas team should be a guest team of the PBA every reinforced conference. Furthermore, this team should play exhibition games against topnotch European national teams, preferably Spain, Serbia and Greece. The SBP should send this team to as many international tourneys as possible.