Team Pilipinas Basketball

rakizta

a lot of other FIBA- supposed-to-be national teams are reinforced by the so-called "naturalized" reinforcement. Jordan, Japan, Germany, heck, even Russia (akala ko first time kong makakita ng rusong egoy) are reinforced, if not being lead, by their "import". Andaya ngang tingnan. But that's their way to get into the competition, so why not ? tutal, if im not wrong, CJ is in the process of naturalization na rin.

Ok, CJ is such a big help. but nung na foul trouble sya, the team still kept their composure, still executing the plays the way it should be, kitang kita ang disiplina. Im may be exag regarding the 6th placed finish kung sila ang nasa Tianjin but what im really impressed about is the way they play as a team. I dont care kung anung place pa sila as long as nakikita ko ang character ng team. Gusto ko naman kahit papano makakita ng national team natin na disiplinado, di nagkakanyakanya, walang masyadong nagpapa showtime, walang wanna-be iverson, walang feeling "sya ang Michael Jordan ng team na ito so ia isolation play ko na lang". I've been wishing of a team comparable to what im seeing in FIBA Europe, which i can say, the definition of a National Team, regardless of the results. Come 2012 at walang nangyaring maganda sa team na to, i wont be disappointed. We should be happy that at least were doing something different, hindi yung puro superstars na lang ng PBA na kulang sa preparasyon ang laging pinapadala.

kung ano ano pang suot sa katawan, headband, arm band, shoulder band, ewan... I agree kahit matalo pa basta maganda execution ng plays. dyosko, bakit mo sasabihing shooter ang isang player kung pag walang bantay minsan hindi pa tumatama sa ring ang tira. sabi ng announcer "guiao is waiting for someone to explode..." ganyan naman parati hihintayin mong may uminit. PEro kung ang team mo based sa plays, walang init init na hihintayin. A shooter is a shooter. Pwera lang kung magaling talaga depensa. Trabaho nila yan eh. Parang gumagawa ng computer. Magpapasweldo ka ba sa computer tech ng P300,000.00 kung minsan ayos ang gawa nya minsan sumasabog ang pc na pinagagawa mo?

Therein lies the failure of the PBA Teams. Yung training. Yung development ng players. Look at Dennis Espino. Nagretire na ang katawan nya ganun pa din, yung style ng paglalaro nya hindi nadagdagan. Natuto lang manggulang. In the NBA, pagdating ng off-season, lalong nageensayo ang mga players. Yung walang mid-range jumper tinuturuan magkaroon. Yung malalaki, tinuturuan mag hookshot. Yung mga payat pinagwoworkout. Nakita nyo ba katawan ni Lebron James nung rookie tapos ikumpara nyo katawan nya ngayon parang katawan ni Karl Malone. Sikat na yan ha, naghire pa sya ng personal shooting coach.

Sa coaching naman, kelan huling nagpadala ang mga PBA Teams ng mga coaches sa ibang bansa para mag-aral ng mga bagong techniques? If these teams really love the sport, they wouldn't mind hiring a foreign consultant. So, ang nangyayari, kung ano yung alam ni Guiao, yun ang naipapasa nya sa mga players na future head coaches. Eh walang natututunang bago eh. Andudun pa rin sila sa stage na maghahanap ng mismatch tapos ieexploit. Pano pag nag adjust ang depensa?

If you watch the San Antonio Spurs, meron pa silang play na, yung shooter nasa baseline binabantayan ng depensa tapos may magka-cut, tapos papalit yung nagcut sa shooter akala nung bantay yung nasa likod nya yung shooter pa din yun pala nasa three point line na yung shooter.

Would you believe that this is the same formula that then RP Coach Ron Jacobs tried to emulate in the 80's ... naturalizing American collegiate players as Filipinos, to pass basketball technology to Filipino cagers.

But this was not accepted before by the Filipinos ... so he eventually scrapped the idea ... and left 3 ... Dennis Still .. Jeff Moore .. and now NBA shooting coach Chip Engelland ...

Coach Rajko Toroman is doing a fine job of preparing the team for future tournaments .. I do hope that they would emulate the old NCC team that won the Reinfored Conference in 85 ..

yes hopia... 3 years din lang ang gusto ni ron jacobs. then pagpasok ng mga players sa PBA, eh di maipapasa na ng players yung natutunan nila. Ilan sa mga coaches ang natuto kay Ron Jacobs? Uichico is one. Pumaren is another. And look where they are now. But still, dapat hindi ka hihinto dun kasi madaming nakakaisip ng bago.

yes hopia... 3 years din lang ang gusto ni ron jacobs. then pagpasok ng mga players sa PBA, eh di maipapasa na ng players yung natutunan nila. Ilan sa mga coaches ang natuto kay Ron Jacobs? Uichico is one. Pumaren is another. And look where they are now. But still, dapat hindi ka hihinto dun kasi madaming nakakaisip ng bago.

--

I agree .. Sad to say .. this is a never ending process of learning ... Maraming magaling na coach .. But wala silang vision of the game in the next couple of years .. on how it would evolve ..

Just think before .. kaya natin talunin ang mga teams from the Middle east ... Ngayon .. Tayo na ang whipping boys ...

Ganda ng sinabi mo brod. right on target!!! :thumbsupsmiley: Thanks din kay btljc for sharing this article by chris tiu^^^ . At least, He was saved from being another "James Yap,- PBA glamour boy syndrome".

Sino sino pa ba ang mga possible na idagdag sa smart? Rabeh? pwede ba ung "import" ng Letran? Para magmukhang mixed chinese-arab-american ang national team natin? Wala bang mga Fil-Serbian, Fil-Lithuanina jan?

nalala ko yung lineup ni chot reyes dati sa jones cup nung suspended tayo sa FIBA

Ali Peek - Brown

Joseph Yeo - Singkit

DonDon Hontiveros - Pinoy

Jon Arigo -Puti

Ranidel Deocampo-Mangyan

Ronald Tubid-Mongoloid

di ko na matandaan yung iba hehe

Smart-Gilas relies heavily on their American reinforcement inside the shaded area and since they don't allowed reinforcement/import sa FIBA-Asia Smart-Gilas would have finish 10th or lower

Too early to tell, madaming accomplishments si Coach Ron Jacobs, si Toroman natalo lang ang isang unprepared na pro team. Tama ang sabi noong isang nag-post, parang nanalo na sa Olympics ang Smart-Gilas ni MVP.

I hope they do.

Huwag kayo masyado magdiwang, dahil hindi pa naman nila natalo ang mga powers sa Asia Powerade lang ang natalo nila dahil hindi ito prepared, tingin n'yo ba ganoon lagi ang ilalaro ng SG against much organzed teams like China, Iran, Sokor, Lebanon, etc who are much taller and heftier as compared to them and who also have big guys that are mobile and can also shoot well from the perimeter and the outside? Without their American reinforcement mahihirapan sila sa mga teams ng aforemetioned countries.

:thumbsdownsmiley: :thumbsdownsmiley: A lot of money did it for Japeth

there are things we can always expect:

1. expect some people to rejoice when they are in the dumps and suddenly a glimmer of hope appears... so there's nothing wrong na magdiwang at itrato na parang nanalo na tayo sa olympics kahit na powerade pa lang tinalo.... our basketball program is in the dumps so if see that the gilas system is much better than the current system we should rejoice...

2. expect sore losers to be still sore and depend their soreness specially after losing bigtime... and after predicting that their team will win bigtime... hahaha... so who won bigtime?

3. expect some close minded people to depend their team by either coming with excuses or undermining the victory of the other team, or both... in this case... like claiming powerade is unprepared and/or they only won one senseless exhibition game with a player who's playing for money not love for the country...

we have to remember though that the beauty of gilas' win is not in the boxscore... they could have lost the game but im sure most of the true fans of the game and those who really care about the national past time will still see the glimmer of hope the way the gilas team played... its the way they played that we loved not the trashing they gave to the powerade team...

:thumbsupsmiley:

Smart-Gilas relies heavily on their American reinforcement inside the shaded area and since they don't allowed reinforcement/import sa FIBA-Asia Smart-Gilas would have finish 10th or lower

Too early to tell, madaming accomplishments si Coach Ron Jacobs, si Toroman natalo lang ang isang unprepared na pro team. Tama ang sabi noong isang nag-post, parang nanalo na sa Olympics ang Smart-Gilas ni MVP.

I hope they do.

Huwag kayo masyado magdiwang, dahil hindi pa naman nila natalo ang mga powers sa Asia Powerade lang ang natalo nila dahil hindi ito prepared, tingin n'yo ba ganoon lagi ang ilalaro ng SG against much organzed teams like China, Iran, Sokor, Lebanon, etc who are much taller and heftier as compared to them and who also have big guys that are mobile and can also shoot well from the perimeter and the outside? Without their American reinforcement mahihirapan sila sa mga teams ng aforemetioned countries.

:thumbsdownsmiley: :thumbsdownsmiley: A lot of money did it for Japeth

there are things we can always expect:

1. expect some people to rejoice when they are in the dumps and suddenly a glimmer of hope appears... so there's nothing wrong na magdiwang at itrato na parang nanalo na tayo sa olympics kahit na powerade pa lang tinalo.... our basketball program is in the dumps so if we see that the gilas system is much better than the current system we should rejoice...

2. expect sore losers to be still sore and defend their soreness specially after losing bigtime... and after predicting that their team will win bigtime... hahaha... so who won bigtime?

3. expect some close minded people to defend their team by either coming with excuses or undermining the victory of the other team, or both... in this case... like claiming powerade was unprepared and/or they only won one senseless exhibition game with a player who's playing for money not love for the country...

we have to remember though that the beauty of gilas' win is not in the boxscore... they could have lost the game but im sure most of the true fans of the game and those who really care about the national past time will still see the glimmer of hope by the way the gilas team played... its the way they played that we loved not the trashing they gave to the powerade team...

:thumbsupsmiley:

Edited by silentwater
Would you believe that this is the same formula that then RP Coach Ron Jacobs tried to emulate in the 80's ... naturalizing American collegiate players as Filipinos, to pass basketball technology to Filipino cagers.

But this was not accepted before by the Filipinos ... so he eventually scrapped the idea ... and left 3 ... Dennis Still .. Jeff Moore .. and now NBA shooting coach Chip Engelland ...

Coach Rajko Toroman is doing a fine job of preparing the team for future tournaments .. I do hope that they would emulate the old NCC team that won the Reinfored Conference in 85 ..

Toroman cant do a Ron Jacobs

mainly, FIBA now has explicit rules on naturalized players

isa lang kada team and also, must not have played in any FIBA tournament for another country

so, for Gilas' naturalized palyer, its just gonna be Giles unless somebody decides to replace him with another :)

also, ewan ko kung ano na balita kay Chris Lutz, 6'4" with deadly hands from the 3 point area

unlike Giles, Lutz is a legitimate Filipino-American....Pinay yata nanay nya

i know, na-invite sya to play...ano na kaya nangyari

meron din addition on Greg Slaughter, 6'11" ata ito, playing for the university of the visayas

i think kailangan nila itong si Slaughter, if there's a lack of a better choice for a big man

kahit quality minutes lang ilalaro nito...reliebo for Aguilar and Giles

may 5 fouls din yan na pwedeng gamitin :)

Guest megalodon
i think what amante was trying to say is that team gilas cannot do what the nc team did years ago- employ 3 naturalized players in it's roster.

I was thinking of Toroman being unable to lead them to the FIBA-Asia title which Jacobs did with NCC. But I really hope this Smart team would improve by leaps and bounds come the FIBA-Asia in 2011.

Toroman cant do a Ron Jacobs

mainly, FIBA now has explicit rules on naturalized players

isa lang kada team and also, must not have played in any FIBA tournament for another country

so, for Gilas' naturalized palyer, its just gonna be Giles unless somebody decides to replace him with another :)

also, ewan ko kung ano na balita kay Chris Lutz, 6'4" with deadly hands from the 3 point area

unlike Giles, Lutz is a legitimate Filipino-American....Pinay yata nanay nya

i know, na-invite sya to play...ano na kaya nangyari

meron din addition on Greg Slaughter, 6'11" ata ito, playing for the university of the visayas

i think kailangan nila itong si Slaughter, if there's a lack of a better choice for a big man

kahit quality minutes lang ilalaro nito...reliebo for Aguilar and Giles

may 5 fouls din yan na pwedeng gamitin :)

Coach Ron Jacobs may have decided to use 3 naturalized players back then as he deemed that those players namely Dennis Still, Jeff Moore and Chip Engeland are the player that can truly do the job and help the Philippines to win titles in international competition (or at least be competitive enought) not only in Asia but in other tournaments as well. Si Still ang bahala sa rebounds (dahil wala pa namang 6'7 pataas na Pinoy back then who is mobile and strong enough), Moore sa inside scoring (and even rebounding) while Engeland sa outside shooting, those guys did helped the cause of the Philippines back then. I remember na bukod sa Jones Cup (which they won in 1985 against an American team) sumali din sila sa isang tournament sa Spain na nakalimutan ko na ang pangalan. Now circa 2009, Smart-Gilas got players like Aguilar, Husseini, Ballesteros who can greatly helped Giles sa shaded area, and shooters like Casio and Ababou, a promising point guard in Barroca. Now, like I said, if the pro league and the SBP can get their acts together we will truly have a promising team come FIBA Asia 2011. Baka may commitment pa si Chris Lutz sa college/school n'ya sa U.S. Alam ko kasama din sa Smart-Gilas si Husseini, baka 'di lang naglaro against the Powerade Team dahil naka-focus sa laro ng ADMU against UE..

Si Japeth pumirma na BK pero ang balita ay after ng ilang games ay ititrade na siya ng BK sa TNT.

oh??!!! sino kapalit? si ranidel? o bigay n nman??

ktulad ng ginawa nla ky Arwind???

If I were BK, hayaan ko nlng si japeth sa smart gilas, Mas maganda panoorin na solid ung line-up ng Smart Gilas and how coaches from PBA will adjust para ma beat nila ang team na ito.

So tama ang hinala ko noon pa na he would end up after all sa team ni MVP sa PBA....

Edited by Agent_mulder

Sama ng laro ni Japeth sa BK kagabi, pilit na pilit ang isolation plays ni Guiao para sa kanya, tignan n'yo ang kaibahan ng style ng coaching ni Guiao kesa kay Toroman, JA managed to score 20 something points against Team Pilipinas nang 'di naka-focus sa kanya ang offense whereas sa BK puro isolation pero 'di masyadong matindi ang contribution n'ya.

yup!.. japeth will be suiting up for the BK's for 1 year

..and after mate-trade na ba s'ya sa ibang team and if I am right sa tnt. Masterful plan huh MVP...

Edited by Agent_mulder