Team Pilipinas Basketball

rakizta

also, as far as I remember/know, Wang played around Marlou as he definitely knew his advantage against him was his quickness. even Bateer Mengke(?) took advantage of Marlou's thin frame by bullying his way inside for points and rebounds.

IMHO, I liked the 2002 team better than that "Centennial Team". tragic though they lost to the eventual gold medalists Korean team. destined to win that tournament I believe were the Koreans...

I remember that game against China in the 1998 Asian Games. Wang didn't run rings around Marlou. He had a hard time against Marlou.

If I recall it correct, Wang played limited minutes in 1998.

Menk Bateer was the dominant center for that team.

^^ That's right! And in the closing minutes they put him against Patrimonio while Sun Jun stuck to Caidic, thereby nullifying our 2 best offensive threats. Yung power moves in Alvin di nya magawa against Ba Teer who'se a full 9 inches taller.

On the offensive end, it was their sweet shooting PF Liu Yudong and gunner Hu Wei Dong who did us in.

Edited by dencio

ahhh hu wei dong, the slim frail sf who can dribble the ball pass mid court and a deadly feel in the perimeter.

i cant honestly think marlou can guard anybody, if you remember the soft staggering twin towers of ginebra, marlou and EJ cant stop a patrimonio who just keep spinning inside.

so your telling me he can slow down or make life hard for wang . . . . take me back in time pls.

ahhh hu wei dong, the slim frail sf who can dribble the ball pass mid court and a deadly feel in the perimeter.

i cant honestly think marlou can guard anybody, if you remember the soft staggering twin towers of ginebra, marlou and EJ cant stop a patrimonio who just keep spinning inside.

so your telling me he can slow down or make life hard for wang . . . . take me back in time pls.

si GONG XIAOBIN!

Just my opinion...

Barroca isn't ripe yet for the big time international hoop competition. He can't even dominate and be consistent in the UAAP, much more in the PBL. Not like Jason Castro when he was in the amateur.

Yeng Guiao's preference for PBA players to represent the national team makes sense. Then put in an experienced international amateur coach who can mold their system suitable to the wars ahead. And add a hardworking naturalized player to even up the height disparity.

Just my opinion...

Barroca isn't ripe yet for the big time international hoop competition. He can't even dominate and be consistent in the UAAP, much more in the PBL. Not like Jason Castro when he was in the amateur.

Yeng Guiao's preference for PBA players to represent the national team makes sense. Then put in an experienced international amateur coach who can mold their system suitable to the wars ahead. And add a hardworking naturalized player to even up the height disparity.

And now he finds himsleft on a middle of a controversy, ayaw pa aminin ng FEU na game-fixing related pero obvious naman na ganon dahil, ang isang university ba aalisin bigla sa line-up nila ang isa o ang pinaka-prolific player nila? Come on!

Smart Gilas is a promising team.But, against the other Asian teams participating in FIBA tournaments, they certainly lacks the ceiling against bigger, heftier, and taller teams such as Iran, Lebanon, and Jordan.

But, let's all give Coach Toroman a chance to mold the team into one cohesive, fighting unit. If Coach Yeng Guiao failed with Team Pilipinas who's supposed to be an all-pro squad, why not try a new system.

The mission of Smart Gilas is to earn a spot for the Philippines in the 2012 London Olympics via the FIBA Asia Basketball Tournament.Indeed, it is a very tall order, literally and figuratively speaking.

Let's just hope for the best with this Smart Gilas Team. :thumbsupsmiley:

Fight mars scrimmage between Smart Gilas and Talk ‘N Text

If there was a storm brewing outside last Friday, there was one that hit inside the Moro Lorenzo Sports Center at the Ateneo de Manila University. Smart Gilas Pilipinas engaged pro ball club Talk ‘N Text in a scrimmage when Tropang Texter Ranidel De Ocampo began throwing punches at the national’s Chester Jarrel Giles, the former Los Angeles Laker draftee who is a candidate for naturalization.

Talk ‘N Text, down by 10 points at that point in the 2nd Quarter was getting frustrated because they could not score down low with Giles and Japeth Aguilar swatting shots left and right. In one rebound play, Giles and De Ocampo got entangled with the latter emerging from the pile and throwing punches. Three other Tropang Texters – Jared Dillinger, Ali Peek, and Mac Cardona – joined the fray before cooler heads intervened. The incident happened in from of Talk N Text’s bench.

Both squads have telecommunications mogul Manuel V. Pangilinan as their sponsor. The two clubs have been practicing together for several months now with the National Coach Rajko Toroman helping the pro team adapt to their style of play.

The two teams have played one another several times with the pro club having been on the losing end. “It’s an unfortunate incident,” said Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas Executive Director Emmanuel Eala. “But it was patched up.”

Sources say that the four pro players ganged up Giles while all others were stunned. Talk ‘N Text claim that Giles threw the first punch but video taken by the SBP showed otherwise.

The match was discontinued and the two players were made to meet at halfcourt by their two coaches and patch things up. But a Talk ‘N Text official who refused to be named said, “This is just Talk ‘N Text. Imagine when they meet up with Powerade.”

Other Tropang Texters team officials did not return BUSINESS MIRROR’s text messages.

The two national squads are set to meet up this coming Monday, October 5 for the charity game “Pinoy Basketbol Kakampi Ninyo” which is for the benefit of Typhoon Ondoy victims.

Aguilar, the controversial Number One Draft Pick who has spurned Burger King the team that selected him will be donning the national colors for the game. His Powerade coach, Yeng Guiao, also the mentor for Burger King will be calling the shots for the match.

“I like to think that everyone will be professional enough because this game is for charity,” added Eala. “I don’t think anyone is going to back down from a good thing.”

Said one Gilas player, “Sayang. We looked up to them (Talk ‘N Text) as big brothers practicing with them from the start, idolizing them on television. Nakakawalang respeto.”

Whether the two clubs separate their practice sessions now is unclear.

Smart Gilas will be playing Alaska and San Miguel in tune-up games next week before their stint in the Philippine Basketball Association begins.

A few months earlier, it was the Powerade team that figured in a near free-for-all in a tune up match with the Lebanese National Team. Coincidentally, heavy rains also hit the country then.

Source: Bleacher's Brew