Who Are Your Favorite Authors? Favorite Books?

For Science Fiction, I like David Drake, especially his Hammer's Slammers series.

Other good Science Fiction authors are John Ringo, Jerry Pournelle, David Weber and S.M. Stirling.

Hehehe, you forgot to include Eric Flint in your star studded cast of Sci-Fi writers from the Baen stable. His collaborations with David Drake and David Weber have been excellent.

Best Sci-Fi Series: Battletech

Best Sci-Fi Author: Mike Stackpole

Best Military Sci-Fi Author: David Drake

Best Sci-Fi Publisher: www.baen.com (check out their free downloadable library at www.baen.com/library)

Aw shuchs, I forgot to add my ultimate favorite author MARIO PUZO :( How can i be sooo retarded as to forget the guy who gave us The Godfather :angry:

I also like JK Rowling, Thomas Harris (his stories on Hannibal Lecter never fail to give me the thrill that blood and gore often bring me :lol: ), Wally Lamb is also commendable.

Aw shuchs, I forgot to add my ultimate favorite author MARIO PUZO :( How can i be sooo retarded as to forget the guy who gave us The Godfather :angry:

I remember reading this book many years back. I also remember how I just couldn't get myself to put it down until I finished it. And this was after watching the movie! Sometimes, I tend to miss something when I watch a movie and everything just makes sense when I read the book. Had the same experience reading "Omen" and watching the movie of the same title.

Hey! I've read two or three Piers Anthony novels na! The one about TIME and the other one i forgot. But i enjoyed the Time story immensely :)

Hmm, Time?

That is a good one.

That is the 3rd book in the Incarnations of Immortality series.

You should try reading one or two of his books in the Xanth series.

Personally, I think that Piers Anthony really excels at short stories. I have a copy of one of collections and it is very good reading. Sharp, funny and witty.

For Science Fiction, I like David Drake, especially his Hammer's Slammers series.

Other good Science Fiction authors are John Ringo, Jerry Pournelle, David Weber and S.M. Stirling.

Yup, David Drake is good.

And I really like the Hammer's Slammers series.

Have you tried reading the Man-Kzin Wars series?

That is also good.

Both Jerry Pournelle and SM Stirling were involved there.

Hey! I've read two or three Piers Anthony novels na! The one about TIME and the other one i forgot. But i enjoyed the Time story immensely :)

My favorite authors are: Graham Greene, Milan Kundera, Robert James Waller, Sophie Kinsella (Shopaholic series), Clive Barker, and whole lotta more. I'll go back to my stacks of books at home muna :lol:

The apprentice adept series by Anthony while not really as good as the Incarnations series (of which TIME is a part of) is also a great read. I do suggest you give it a try, it has all the peculiar Anthony writing style that makes it a pleasure to read.

My liking towards books started with the Three Investigators during my high school days, it evolve to Agatha Christie and during college days where me and my friends started swapping reading materialsthat I started reading Ludlums, Clancy, Morrel, Puzo, Forsyth.

After all these years, I never thought that I ended up reading, Who Moved My Cheese, Rich Dad, Poor Dad, Dilbert and most currently Baby Blues.

Maybe age have something to do with it. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hmm, Time?

That is a good one.

That is the 3rd book in the Incarnations of Immortality series.

You should try reading one or two of his books in the Xanth series.

Personally, I think that Piers Anthony really excels at short stories. I have a copy of one of collections and it is very good reading. Sharp, funny and witty.

Incarnations of Immortality...that's right! :)

My good friend loaned me his copy two/three years ago...it's definitely a treat! Where can i find copies of the series? Are they still available in Powerbooks or NB?

Somebody told me Mitch Albom's Five People You Will Meet in Heaven is also a good read. I'm planning to get myself a copy real soon. Hopefully, before I finish Legends of the Fall.

I believe that the Incarnations is the best series that Anthony has ever written. I doubt you'll have an easy time completing all 7 books, the last time I saw more than two books of the series was last year at Page 1. A day later, they ran out. Good Luck though. I am tempted to snap up any Incarnation book I find because my set at home is falling apart due to age.

P.S.

If you don't mind reading the electronic versions of the series in your pda or cellphone, I can help you out. I have the entire set in electronic format. :)

Hehehe, you forgot to include Eric Flint in your star studded cast of Sci-Fi writers from the Baen stable. His collaborations with David Drake and David Weber have been excellent.

Best Sci-Fi Series: Battletech

Best Sci-Fi Author: Mike Stackpole

Best Military Sci-Fi Author: David Drake

Best Sci-Fi Publisher: www.baen.com (check out their free downloadable library at www.baen.com/library)

I agree with you wholeheartedly on David Drake being the Best Military Sci-Fi Author, though I think that John Ringo's works (A Hymm Before Battle, Gust Front, Hell's Faire, etc.) are up there with David Drake's Hammer's Slammer Series.

By the way if you don't mind reading books in the e-book format, you can get practically a lot of them through P2P networks. Have already downloaded a lot. I read using my palmpilot as I find it very convenient to have a lot of books uploaded in my palmpilot, less bulk, and always ready anytime....

Baen Publishing even came out with special CD-ROMs for David Drake and David Weber, wherein all their works are compiled in one CD-ROM in different e-book formats (HTML, Palm OS, MS Word, etc.)

I agree with you wholeheartedly on David Drake being the Best Military Sci-Fi Author, though I think that John Ringo's works (A Hymm Before Battle, Gust Front, Hell's Faire, etc.) are up there with David Drake's Hammer's Slammer Series.

By the way if you don't mind reading books in the e-book format, you can get practically a lot of them through P2P networks. Have already downloaded a lot. I read using my palmpilot as I find it very convenient to have a lot of books uploaded in my palmpilot, less bulk, and always ready anytime....

Baen Publishing even came out with special CD-ROMs for David Drake and David Weber, wherein all their works are compiled in one CD-ROM in different e-book formats (HTML, Palm OS, MS Word, etc.)

So I guess that you're also under the webscription plan of Baen. If you are interested in some e-books, PM me what you're missing and I'll see if I have it. :).

Actually no, I'm not under the webscriptions plan of Baen. I downloaded all my stuff thru the Donkey P2P network, even the CD-ROMs (someone was so nice to post the whole CD image). Have Baen CD-ROM Vol.1 (Honorverse-David Weber), Vol.2 (Legacy of the Aldenata-John Ringo), and Vol.3 (Hammer's Slammers-David Drake). Each CD has a full compilation of each author's works, along with some others as a bonus. I find really interesting especially for David Weber's books in the Honor Harrington series and David Drake's Hammer's Slammers, beats the hell out of buying all the books on-by-one.

The downside here is that you're not updated with Baen's latest releases, you have to wait for someone to post the file for download, so for the newer titles, you have to wait a while (1-2 months).

Actually no, I'm not under the webscriptions plan of Baen. I downloaded all my stuff thru the Donkey P2P network, even the CD-ROMs (someone was so nice to post the whole CD image). Have Baen CD-ROM Vol.1 (Honorverse-David Weber), Vol.2 (Legacy of the Aldenata-John Ringo), and Vol.3 (Hammer's Slammers-David Drake). Each CD has a full compilation of each author's works, along with some others as a bonus. I find really interesting especially for David Weber's books in the Honor Harrington series and David Drake's Hammer's Slammers, beats the hell out of buying all the books on-by-one.

The downside here is that you're not updated with Baen's latest releases, you have to wait for someone to post the file for download, so for the newer titles, you have to wait a while (1-2 months).

I've been part of the webscription program since it started about two to three years ago. So I've amassed quite a collection already of the various months they sell. While the CDs are nice to download, they still don't contain the entire catalog and most of the time the contents are redundant. Lately though due to the increasing lowering value of the peso, I've found myself limited to just buying a single book here and there from their release.

I've been resorting to e-donkey/overnet and even kazaalite and yet still I can't find some of the baen books available for download. Would you happen to know if there is a good copy of The Reaches by David Drake available for download via P2P?

to all booklovers, just wanted to share this one with you... :) happy shopping! ;)

3-Day Sale at Powerbooks!!!

Enjoy up to 20% OFF on all imported books (except "X" items) from May 28 to 30, 2004 at Powerbooks Greenbelt 4, Glorietta 3 (inside Tower Records) and Alabang Town Center.

to all booklovers, just wanted to share this one with you... :) happy shopping! ;)

3-Day Sale at Powerbooks!!!

Enjoy up to 20% OFF on all imported books (except "X" items) from May 28 to 30, 2004 at Powerbooks Greenbelt 4, Glorietta 3 (inside Tower Records) and Alabang Town Center.

thanks!

I was at GB4 last week and they have these hardbound books again that sell for P99. Got hold of an interesting book by Jon Ronson called Them which is all about conspiracy theories and the like.......

Incarnations of Immortality...that's right! :)

My good friend loaned me his copy two/three years ago...it's definitely a treat! Where can i find copies of the series? Are they still available in Powerbooks or NB?

Hmm, I have a copy of all seven(7) of them. Or shall I say, had. They make good reading and it took a while before I was able to read all seven(7).

But that was a while back and I've loaned/given most of them away.

Seven nga ba? Let's see:

Death

War

Time

Fate

Nature

Evil

Good

Yup, seven(7) nga.

I'll see if I still have a copy of the last two. Since they're relatively the latest, I might still have my copies of them.

Although for me, the first about Death was the best.

You can try Booksale, I've seen several used books of this series there.

Thony's suggestion of the Apprentice Adept series by Piers Anthony is also good.

Thanks for the props! :) Hehehehe

Anyway, I guess you've read the Xanth series. Is it any good? Oh yeah, do I have to start on the 1st book or can I just dive in and read somewhere in middle?

The Xanth series is pretty good.

But I think that it is more geared towards the young adult market.

It is best if you can start with the first novel but is not essential. The writing is pretty straightforward and Piers Anthony explains all the stuff you need to know.

Besides, there are now about, I don't know, about 20++ books in the series. So it would be quite a monumental task to get all of them.

I thing I noticed though, is that after you've read a few of them, the rest seem to be just the same. Piers uses the same formula for all the Xanth novels.

Personnaly, I think the first two novels in this series were the best: "Spell for Chameleon" and "Source of Magic". (Hmm, I think that I got that second title wrong, somehow).

Besides, there are now about, I don't know, about 20++ books in the series. So it would be quite a monumental task to get all of them.

No biggie on that. I was able to download a whole bunch of xanth novels a few months ago, I haven't checked them out yet because my hard drive looks like my room. All messy and disorganized. :evil:

No biggie on that. I was able to download a whole bunch of xanth novels a few months ago, I haven't checked them out yet because my hard drive looks like my room. All messy and disorganized. :evil:

Hahaha!

Well, good for you, dude.

Try one or two and see if my observation(of them being all the same structure) is valid.

Hehehe.....