Who Are Your Favorite Authors? Favorite Books?

Keegan reader here too, malachi. Have you seen the guy sa Discovery Channel? They had a documentary about the battleship Bismarck and John Keegan was one of those experts interviewed. He talks well too. Very composed and articulate.

I have little time for new readings lately, and too often I find myself rereading my old books. I read the Robert Fitzgerald translations of the Illiad and the Odyssey once a year, the LOTR once in 2 years, and some occassional favorites are Seamus Heaney's Beowulf translation. At home theres always the oldies from my Great Books collection. Plutarch, Herodotus, Thyucidides, Xeno, and the other ancient historians. Ive been trying to read Dante, but I just couldnt manage it.

Malachi, is 12 Caesars any good? I read the first few pages and I wasnt gripped. John Romer writes well but I own none of his books--ive seen some sa Powerbooks and sa Fully-booked--medyo naging kuripot na ako sa pagbili ng new books e. (John Romer is the old,bald, fat guy in blue shirt, a fedora hat and khakis seen usually sa Discovery Channel features on ancient history).

mark30,

nice to see you here. even nicer to find out that you enjoy keegan too. no, i didn't see that interview on the discovery channel (sayang!) but i'm sure i would've found it interesting, particularly since i have never read his views on naval warfare. (all of my keegan books deal with land battles.) which of his books have you read?

you also mentioned a book by xeno. are you by any chance referring to the anabasis by xenophon?

yeah right! haha!!!  :P  :lol:

i still can't get over the fact that i still do not have my geisha book.  :(  anyways, i finished the garp book a couple of weeks ago. real nice! :D am now planning to start reading 100 years by g.g.marquez.  :)

so, you're done with Garp....I have a hardbound copy of A Son of the Circus: wink wink hehehe...

well happy reading! I seem to recall you had the Garcia-Marquez book before you had the John Irving....

bods1000,

sorry for the late reply. at any rate, it's moot; the sale was only til april 4.

i do recall seeing some travel books at books for less - pearl drive earlier this week, although i don't remember the titles. for all i know, you may already have them :lol:

sayang that sale....

well thanks for the tip...I've been planning to visit Books For Less at Pearl Drive for quite some time now - but parking there's a bummer - but I really plan to go there one of these days...

so, you're done with Garp....I have a hardbound copy of A Son of the Circus: wink wink <darn this tic> hehehe...

well happy reading! I seem to recall you had the Garcia-Marquez book before you had the John Irving....

bods1000, i bought the garp book before i purchased my 100-years book. :)

oh, and sorry to hear about that tic of yours. you better see a doctor about it and have it treated na. hehe!!! :lol: ;)

bods1000, i bought the garp book before i purchased my 100-years book. :)

oh, and sorry to hear about that tic of yours. you better see a doctor about it and have it treated na. hehe!!! :lol: ;)

.....but I love winking :(

didn't think you'd be here tonight....but anyway Happy Easter....and kainggit kayo at mabilis kayo nakakatapos ng book :lol: I've been reading mine for months!

.....but I love winking :(

didn't think you'd be here tonight....but anyway Happy Easter....and kainggit kayo at mabilis kayo nakakatapos ng book :lol: I've been reading mine for months!

if that's the case, then forget about seeing the doctor. ;) hehe!!! :D

ay naku, i've read the garp book for months din. i only got the chance to open it when i wasn't too tired from work. <_<

happy easter to all! :)

if that's the case, then forget about seeing the doctor. ;) hehe!!! :D

ay naku, i've read the garp book for months din. i only got the chance to open it when i wasn't too tired from work. :)

well then, I'd hate to think of how long you'll be reading 100 Years which is a denser book....

bods1000,

passed by books for less pearl drive yesterday. ang daming titles sa travel section, although i don't know which of those are new arrivals.

parking probably won't be as much of aproblem at this time of year, since walang pasok sa ua&p

pare thanks so much!

I was at Richmonde Saturday evening at pumasyal ako sa area but it was already closed when I got there.....gotta check it out again....thanks pare...I'm salivating at what those titles are hehehe

Re: utos ng hari

I think I have a copy of the author's short stories although di ko ren maalala full name nya. Got it from the book fair at megamall a few years back. Great read although yung writing style nya super consistent to the point na pare-pareho nalang yung tempo, style at overall pagkagawa nung mga kwento

Books by Mitch Albom specially Tuesdays with Morrie -- thought I'd never shed a tear...

Dan Brown of course -- Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons, Digital Fortress...did not like much Deception Point

J.K Rowlings -- Harry Potter

John Irving -- Cider House Rules and A Prayer for Owen Meany

Thomas Harris -- Red Dragon, Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal

B)

House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende

Barabbas came to us by the sea...

Clara: Yellow eyes, green hair

The book was hauntingly beautiful, moving. Tried to translate some parts of the English version into Filipino. Since I was able to digest the words closely, only then did I realize that it did highly encourage sensory experiences.

If it was a food, it surely was filling.