Who Are Your Favorite Authors? Favorite Books?

Good morning, booklovers!

Am now reading Rogue Trader by Nick Leeson (he of the Baring scandal). Just wondering if there's anyone else who's into this genre? :)

malachi! sounds like you have an interesting read there. I actually worked for them for a time - post leeson, though. Where did you get your book? I've been waiting for a used one to come up in the book sales and in books for less. So far, no luck!

peace!

you mean non-fiction?

I'm into a lot of travel lit, but right now I'm reading SEE NO EVIL by Robert Baer, who was a CIA ground operative. The book is his account of his recruitment and his years in the field, mostly in the Mid-East, and tells of how he thinks America's indifference and downright lukewarm attitude in the name of political correctness indirectly led to 9/11....quite a good read.

Ha! That I can believe! I was reading one of noam chomsky's articles or interviews on the internet and he echoes that thesis.

Personally, I think it did lead to 9/11 - the concept of terrorism as we know it developed as a means to "equalize" the strength of a force at a severe disadvantage to those more equipped or technically advanced. I think its true that america has been pushing its own agenda since the 1800s and has not stopped since.

I just picked up howard zinn's A People's history of the United states - the guy is a great revisionist historian. If I could afford it, I would have also gotten bury my heart at wounded knee, kaya lang on a budget ako.

Peace, Bods!

Ha! That I can believe! I was reading one of noam chomsky's articles or interviews on the internet and he echoes that thesis.

Personally, I think it did lead to 9/11 - the concept of terrorism as we know it developed as a means to "equalize" the strength of a force at a severe disadvantage to those more equipped or technically advanced. I think its true that america has been pushing its own agenda since the 1800s and has not stopped since.

I just picked up howard zinn's A People's history of the United states - the guy is a great revisionist historian. If I could afford it, I would have also gotten bury my heart at wounded knee, kaya lang on a budget ako.

Peace, Bods!

for political correctness daw, America has been cutting down on its ground operations and putting unqualified people in sensitive positions in the CIA...plus big business has encroached on the White House, thus confusing its priorities.....if it had given priority to ground operations, it would have had a man in a mosque in Hamburg and it would have somehow got wind that Muhammad Atta, the supposed leader of the hijackers, was on to something big.....

BURY MY HEART? is that the book about the American Indians? If so, I have an old paperback of that.....

bods 1000,

is robert baer the same guy who wrote that islamic extremism can be traced to the us-backed coup in iran (plotted by the cia from within the confines of the us embassy, no less) that reinstated the repressive and draconian regime of the shah? interesting thesis. perfectly plausible, too. it chillingly and tragically illustrates the adage that "what goes around comes around"

as for non-fiction, are you by any chance into john keegan or geoffrey regan?

have a nice day!

forbidden,

the copy of rogue trader that i'm reading isn't mine, actually. it does have a national bookstore sticker on its rear cover, although i'm not sure how long ago the owner bought it. you're right, it has been an interesting read, so far. the book was even made into a movie with ewan mcgregor in the title role, although it bombed horribly (mahirap yata iexplain sa movie ang concept ng derivatives trading :) )

are you referring to bury my heart at wounded knee by dee brown? wonderful book. your heart will really bleed for all those native americans who paid the price for american westward expansion.

dee brown cowrote another good book, "fighting indians of the west", which is less detailed than "bury my heart at wounded knee", but which covers the plight of the other native american tribes as well

have a nice day!

forbidden,

the copy of rogue trader that i'm reading isn't mine, actually. it does have a national bookstore sticker on its rear cover, although i'm not sure how long ago the owner bought it. you're right, it has been an interesting read, so far. the book was even made into a movie with ewan mcgregor in the title role, although it bombed horribly (mahirap yata iexplain sa movie ang concept ng derivatives trading :) )

are you referring to bury my heart at wounded knee by dee brown? wonderful book. your heart will really bleed for all those native americans who paid the price for american westward expansion.

dee brown cowrote another good book, "fighting indians of the west", which is less detailed than "bury my heart at wounded knee", but which covers the plight of the other native american tribes as well

have a nice day!

ah.. i for the life of me I can't remember who wrote it - but that's probably the same one. I think I need to pay that bookstore a visit again before someone picks it up.

yes, mahirap yata ipaliwanag ang derivatives trading sa movie. Even in boiler room, they had to work in a whole scene where Giovanni Ribisi has to explain the concept of "bridge financing". Must have been a lot harder to do that for Leeson's movie. I wonder where you can get it, though? that would be interesting to see

good evening everyone! :cool:

bods 1000,

is robert baer the same guy who wrote that islamic extremism can be traced to the us-backed coup in iran (plotted by the cia from within the confines of the us embassy, no less) that reinstated the repressive and draconian regime of the shah? interesting thesis. perfectly plausible, too. it chillingly and tragically illustrates the adage that "what goes around comes around"

as for non-fiction, are you by any chance into john keegan or geoffrey regan?

have a nice day!

where'd you read that...in an article or what?

He could be the same guy, but the Baer I'm reading now was a former CIA operative who prematurely retired because he was fed up with how the Intelligence network has evolved....plus, he was investigated by the FBI around '97 for allegedly being in a plot to assassinate Saddam! :lol:

He could have been involved in that Iran scenario but I haven't gotten around to that in the book I'm reading....you're right - the US has messed up quite a bit in the Middle East..

I'm more into reading travel literature...Theroux, Iyer, Bryson, Cahill, Jan Morris...

occasionally I get to be interested in such books like the Baer book....

hey,

only business book i read was in search for excellence, medyo luma na and it doesn't probably qualify as a real business book.

fave book would be the hobbit, introduced me to fantasy.

most of you have probably read it

also, smith of wootton major. tolkien din

Can anybody recommend a good business book?

what aspect of business are you interested in? I'll always recommend marketing by kotler and armstrong. Sure, its a textbook, but all the foundations of business building are there.

Hope that helped!

Malachi and Bods... I finally passed by books for less today and picked up a copy of Bury My Heart at wounded knee. Malachi, you were correct - it was by Dee brown. I'm quite excited to get started with it.

Good morning, everyone! :cool:

forbidden,

congratulations on your find. that is one of the most poignant and moving books i've read.

i've seen a pirated copy of "rogue trader" floating around somewhere in greenhills. i just don't remember exactly where :( didn't buy it because of all the negative reviews. i'll probably enjoy reading the book for a second time instead. :)

happy reading!

Thanks 'forbidden' and 'ryan00' for the advise. I am an entrepreneur besides being a book lover so I read mostly business books. Kotler has always been the marketing guru and he had taught many basic principles. In Search of Excellence first came out in the early 80's. I also read it, a little dated really but you can get a lot of ideas to apply to your company.

Anyway I also like to read other types of books. Classics, Best sellers, Biographies (especially about Bill Gates and Jack Welch!), etc. (I even read all the Harry Potter books!).

what aspect of business are you interested in? I'll always recommend marketing by kotler and armstrong. Sure, its a textbook, but all the foundations of business building are there.

Hope that helped!

Malachi and Bods... I finally passed by books for less today and picked up a copy of Bury My Heart at wounded knee. Malachi, you were correct - it was by Dee brown. I'm quite excited to get started with it.

Good morning, everyone! :cool:

I could have given you my copy of BURY MY WOUNDED HEART.... :D but I'm sure you got it cheap at Books For Less.....was there at the Roces Branch a week ago and I picked up S.J. Perelman's collection of his humorous pieces from the 40's to the 60's THE RISING GORGE......Eine Klien Mothmuzik! hehehe....

anybody here into reading humor?......Perelman is a contemporary of Robert Benchley and James Thurber back in the 40's and 50's and although his chosen forte is humor, he writes in this really elegant prose....grabe!

i read a lot of varied stuff...

however my all time faves remain to be the LOTR series -- from the hobbit, fellowship, two towers and rotk. am currently trying to read silmarillion... slowly :)

i also like musashi's story of the rings :)

i read grisham, crichton, and a lot of other stuff - at best my taste would be called eclectic... :)

ryt now im reading artemis fowl and the arctic experiment (down to the last couple of chapters) - about a 13 yr old criminal mastermind...sorta a harry potter with syndicate undertones :) kewl ...

reading is such fun!