Who Are Your Favorite Authors? Favorite Books?

Hi guys. I've sort of been under a rock lately. I've noticed branches of Books For Less popping out but I haven't been to one yet. What's it like there? I hope it's not like Booksale. Will it be worth my tryip? Have they got tons of hard-to-find books there? :)

Edited by Zerreit
Bods, I'm from Paranaque. I get my books anywhere. :lol:

Sometimes I buy books at Powerbooks & National Bookstore.

Sometimes I get books at Page One and Bibliarch.

Most of the time I buy it online at avalon.ph. :)

zerreit, neighbors lang pala tayo nila Lord R... i'm from paranaque too... :)

i liked "like water for chocolate" a lot... memoirs of a geisha, maganda ba yun? :unsure:

Hi there.

I like Catcher in the Rye. I know that it's a pretty classic book and a lot of people has read this already. But it is truly captivating. One of the best books I've read ever.

Also Angela's Ashes. Truly a good book during the post potato famine which talks about the author's Irish family.

Seems like there's a rise of popularity for Memoirs of a Geisha. I oughta pick this book one time. How'd you guys like this ?

Guest Insomnia Girl

1. Self-Help (Lorrie Moore)

2. High Fidelity (Nick Hornby)

3. Equal Affections (David Leavitt)

4. The Brotherhood of the Rose (David Morrell)

5. Damage (Josephine Hart)

6. One Hundred Years of Solitude (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)

7. Reasons to Live (Amy Hempel)

8. The Lords of Discipline (Pat Conroy)

9. Endless Nights (Neil Gaiman)

10. The Catcher in the Rye (JD Salinger)

Heyyya! ;) Wow, seems like a lot of you guys are from paranaque just the same. Mind if I join in? :blush:

I'm not that much of a bookworm though, but I have read some good books. I've tried to read memoirs of a geisha, but I stopped halfway through it. (I got a lil bored I guess, it was too slow-paced for me) I'm more for the fast-paced novels minus the mushy gushy stuff. :rolleyes:

Lately, I've been into novels that's quite reflective and a bit philosophical.. most of paulo coelho's literature (The Alchemist, By the river piedra..blah blah) and they're quite good, I also like ' Tuesdays With Morrie.' I'm a huge fan of Sidney Sheldon and I know them all by heart (or so I think!hehehe)

Oh yeah and I forgot! I'm also nuts about Pugad Baboy *teehee!

It's nice to read that sweetallure likes J.D. Salinger's Catcher in the Rye. This story of a troubled teenager, Holden Caulfield, is a masterpiece. Unfortunately, it is J.D. Salinger's only published novel. I love many classics too. We must not forget books that had withstood the test of time.

When I was a student I read a lot of thick classical books like War & Peace of Leo Tolstoi and Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky. Now, however, time constraints force me to pick briefer tomes. Also, the necessity of making a living has inclined me more to non-fiction books.

A classic of a different genre is Napoleon Hill's Think and Grow Rich. For those who want to be financially successful it is a Gold Mine! :)

:mtc:

The subject of memoirs of a geisha is obvious, but what's "like water for chocolate's" about and who is the author?

hey jimmy.....

the movie is titled Like Water for Chocolate, but the book it is based on is entitled Chocolat (correct me if I'm wrong) by Julie Harris? (this too I'm not sure)....saw a copy of Chocolat at Booktopia just tonight....haven't read it though or saw the movie.....I think the movie was nominated for a Best Picture a few years back....it had Juliet Binoche in it.....

Heyyya! ;) Wow, seems like a lot of you guys are from paranaque just the same. Mind if I join in? :blush:

I'm not that much of a bookworm though, but I have read some good books. I've tried to read memoirs of a geisha, but I stopped halfway through it. (I got a lil bored I guess, it was too slow-paced for me) I'm more for the fast-paced novels minus the mushy gushy stuff. :rolleyes:

Lately, I've been into novels that's quite reflective and a bit philosophical.. most of paulo coelho's literature (The Alchemist, By the river piedra..blah blah) and they're quite good, I also like ' Tuesdays With Morrie.' I'm a huge fan of Sidney Sheldon and I know them all by heart (or so I think!hehehe)

Oh yeah and I forgot! I'm also nuts about Pugad Baboy *teehee!

you're very much welcome here, sweet_d :)

daan-daan ka lang lagi....

madami nang lumabas na collection of Pugad Baboy strips, right? I guess you have them :lol: Quite entertaining talaga yun.....

ok....the funnies....people here...what comic strips do you like? Ako, I have always been entertained by Calvin and Hobbes, The Far Side, Wizard of Id, Broomhilda :lol: ....sa locals yung Pupung and then dati yung Tisoy ni Nonoy Marcelo