How Can I Quit Smoking?

was a 3 pack a day smoker

quit cold turkey

only first week was hard because you are breaking a habit (would find myself walking towards my fav smoking spot, have to control myself and walk back)

look for anything else to do to keep your mind occupied

4 years na not smoking

my cardio prescribed me a drug called champix... i think pfizer made it... it actually helps you curb down ur nicotine addiction gradually until your body no longer needs it...

kinda expensive at 72 pesos per pc... but if it's your health at risk... 72 is nothing as compared to the hospital bill you'll get soon...

Quit cold turkey. Tell family and friends that you're quitting. This will make it more difficult to go back on your word. The first 21 days are the hardest (friend told me it takes the body 21 days to learn or relearn something), after that you're good. Just remember that you are a recovering addict because it's always easy to fall off that horse. Quit smoking 6 months ago.

my cardio prescribed me a drug called champix... i think pfizer made it... it actually helps you curb down ur nicotine addiction gradually until your body no longer needs it...

kinda expensive at 72 pesos per pc... but if it's your health at risk... 72 is nothing as compared to the hospital bill you'll get soon...

I asked about champix in mercury drug but it needs doctor prescription. Is it true. Ok lang kahit mahal kasi at least diba kesa naman ilang years hintayin mo para makapag quit ka. ang hirap kasi pigilan.

• 2 weeks later...

one guy said quitting smoking is the easiest thing to do. he's done it a thousand times. today is the longest i've been an ex smoker. 6 days with nary a puff. congrats to those of you who's been succesfull quitting. i hope i could hold on to my dream of becoming an ex smoker for good. mahirap talaga cold turkey and no help from champix and other pills and aids. it was prescribed by my cardio but i dont wanna use it. in a way mas gusto ko din mas mahirap para mas nakakapanghinayang na bumalik sa bisyo and go over the hardship of quitting again.

I had a bad cough last June. I did not want to worsen or prolong the cough. I took this opportunity to quit smoking.

I quit cold turkey. I smoked less than half a pack a day so I guess the nicotine addiction is not so bad that it was not too hard to quit. I have managed to keep cigarettes to less than half a pack a day for 21 years. I admit that I craved for a smoke in the first few weeks but now, two months after quitting, the craving rarely comes back and can be easily beaten or ignored.

I had a bad cough last June. I did not want to worsen or prolong the cough. I took this opportunity to quit smoking.I quit cold turkey. I smoked less than half a pack a day so I guess the nicotine addiction is not so bad that it was not too hard to quit. I have managed to keep cigarettes to less than half a pack a day for 21 years. I admit that I craved for a smoke in the first few weeks but now, two months after quitting, the craving rarely comes back and can be easily beaten or ignored.

Congrats sir. I envy you. I have been smoking my lungs out for 22 years at 1 1/2 packs a day. i just hope it's not too late to stop. 6 days and counting.

somebody told me about "Varenecline" and it's very effective daw... 2x a day and he took it for 1 week... he no longer smoke for more than a month now.... hmmmm

Varenecline is the generic name of Champix. Ask your doctor about it and if he/she prescribes Champix to you, ask the doctor to give you a Sulit Card (doubles as a discount card) which you can present to all Mercury branches. Good luck! :thumbsupsmiley:

Edited by Saxman
Im trying to quit smoking na pero im afraid of the withdrawal period... tried it before 1 week pa lng pero sobrang nagcrave ako. Cant even sleep dahil parang lutang ang feeling. Can anybody suggest anything so that I can overcome that lutang feeling? TIA

I'm on my 8th day. tremendous withdrawal syndromes. indigestion/gas, vertigo, palpitations, nausea. Still not using Champix and other pills or patches. Like you, I am having light headedness attacks. just like this morning. I was told it will go away naman. It's just hard and medyo delikado specially if you are driving alone. causes anxiety din kasi and panic attacks.

Hindi naman ako sleepless. pero 2 nights ago, i dreamed i was smoking. =) saraaaaap!!!

yesterday i walked past 4 smokers. medyo hindi ko na gusto amoy ng usok nila. and when one of my men entered my car, amoy na amoy ko agad na nagyosi siya unlike before hindi ako nakakaamoy ng taong nagyosi.

Varenecline is the generic name of Champix. Ask your doctor about it and if he/she prescribes Champix to you, ask the doctor to give you a Sulit Card (doubles as a discount card) which you can present to all Mercury branches. Good luck! :thumbsupsmiley:

Saxman, thanks :mtc: .... i'll do that... im now 33 and nag start ako mag smoke nung 3rd yr HS pa ako... so, around 18 yrs nako nag i-smoke... haay, nuon ko pa gusto talaga mag quit but sabi nga nila "The mind is willing but the flesh is weak"

in my previous job, whenever we have a scheduled jogging for our physical fitness, lagi n ako kinakabahan :cry: .. hehehe laging kapos sa hininga kasi... and after that, sabay kuha agad nang 1 stick... ang sarap kasi mag smoke pag hinihingal after a workout... hehehe haaay :boo:

as of now, about a pack/day ang consumption ko.... hope i can do it!! :rolleyes:

Edited by tints97
yesterday i walked past 4 smokers. medyo hindi ko na gusto amoy ng usok nila. and when one of my men entered my car, amoy na amoy ko agad na nagyosi siya unlike before hindi ako nakakaamoy ng taong nagyosi.

That is a good sign. If you find yourself disliking cigarette smoke, you are very well on your way to succeed in quitting

From Health Today:

Benefits of smoking

Within 20 minutes of quitting- your blood pressure and pulse rate drop to normal.

Within 8 hours of quitting - your carbon monoxide and oxygen levels normalize.

Within 24 hours of quitting - your risk of sudden heart attack decreases.

Within 48 hours of quitting - your nerve endings begin to recover and your sense of smell and touch begin to return to normal.

Within 2 weeks to 3 months of quitting - your circulation improves and lung function increases.

Within 1 to 9 months of quitting - your overall energy increases and lung function start to normalize.

Within 1 year of quitting - your risk of heart disease is half that of a smoker.

Within 5 years of quitting - your risk for lung cancer death decreases by 50%.

Within 10 years of quitting - your lung cancer death rate becomes similar to that of someone who never smoked; your risk of stroke is lowered; you general risk for developing cancers of different organs go down.

Contrary to popular belief, smoking "light" cigarettes, supposedly with loweredtar and nicotine, is still bad for the health. "Light" cigarettes have about the same negative effects of "ordinary" cigarettes