How Can I Quit Smoking?

quit cold turkey and exercise... you will feel the urge to eat more when you quit smoking... you have to exercise... once you feel that you are getting fitter and stronger, the urge to smoke just goes away... however, be warned that the craving to smoke does not go away overnight... i have been smoke free for 2 years now and the urge to smoke, especially after a heavy meal, always says hello... its just a matter of motivating yourself to kick the habit

• 2 months later...

quit cold turkey. tapos iwas muna sa inuman and friends who smoke.

remember also that it is always the "firsts" ang dapat bantayan...

first day

first week

first month

first year

helps also if you have a "valid" reason to quit, mine was because of my doc's advise, simple lang sabi niya, "if you don't quit, the next time you have a stroke you die" :-)

its been 1 year and 6 months since i stopped, no stroke after that so far, seems like nothing happened.

• 4 weeks later...

Willpower lang. I quit cold turkey after smoking for more than 10 years. Of course, my body reacted to the sudden loss of nicotine (I got hives for a few weeks) but eventually I felt better. I regained my taste buds, my stamina improved, and I slept better. Once in a while I still take a puff or two while having a beer, but I can go months without it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Just do it. I was once a chain smoker,3 packs a day nauubos ko. But nung magkaanak na ako,itinigil ko na. As in diretso stop,cold turkey talaga. Maganda rin na may inspiration ka to stop,like on my part yung daughter ko. Ayokong magkasakit at mamatay ng maaga. I wanna be always there for her hanggang mkatapos siyang mag-aral at magka-pamilya siya. Kung nakaya ko,so can you.

mind over matter

Ha! That's easier said than done!

On saying that, though, I did quit - with the help of an electronic cigarette.

I'd been smoking for decades, and especially when I'm at work in front of my computer I would smoke AT LEAST 2 PACKS A DAY. My work being very mentally taxing, cigarettes provided my hands with something to do while I was thinking. It became a habit that eventually led me to chainsmoking level.

I saw somebody selling e-cigs at the Karl Edwards bazaar last Christmas and took the plunge. With the e-cig, in ONE week I stopped smoking. These days, I only use the e-cig once in a while (like once every two weeks). I don't crave for it; neither do I miss it. The best part is, my family is happy because I've stopped smoking, I save a lot (I used to buy 1 to 2 reams a week!), and I feel much healthier.

On the e-cig, later on I realized that there were variants and brands that were better than what I had bought. If you're planning to buy one, do your research before you buy.

Please note that I don't sell these e-cigs and I don't get paid to endorse them the way I'm doing in this post. I just want to share a solution for long-time smokers like me who want to quit but find it difficult to do so.

Just do it the alcoholics anonymous way. Take it one stick at a time, one day at a time. It's an addiction, so you always have to be on guard. The best pa rin is cold turkey, then willpower na talaga. It also helps to meditate, pray, do stuff that will take your mind off it, especially when the craving comes. Just don't give in, after 5-10 minutes mawawala din yung craving.

• 1 month later...

I don't believe in what they say na to quit smoking, you have to lower your intake of it gradually. I quit smoking instantly and it has already been almost a year since i did it.

I also run every morning to remove the toxins in my body, and got into boxing.

Nasa tao yan eh (if gusto mo talaga mag quit magagawa mo!), wala sa bisyo. ^_^

• 9 months later...

The tough part is beating the nicotine addiction. The ironic thing about smoking is that nicotine isn't really the carcinogen, it's the 70-odd other chemicals plus the tar and carbon monixide from burning that's killing you.

I quit cigarette smoking 30 days ago with the use of e-cigs. I still get nicotine, but minus the bad stuff that comes from burning tobacco. The better part of the deal is that I'm able to lower my nicotine intake by using e-cig juice that has lower nicotine content. I started with thhe medium nic content of 18mg per 10ml of e-cig juice. Now I'm down to 11-12mg per 10ml. I'm planning to go down to 9mg in a weeks time. By August, down to 5-6. Even now my craving for nic has dropped, and I've quit the customary puffs before my bedtime rituals.

I;m getting the benefits of quitting now-- no more wheezing, smoker's cough, my taste buds are back. Sadly, I'm putting in more weight because food now tastes better. I can't tolerate cigarette smoke now, my eyes get watery and I get coughing fits.

Not too many people of aware of what e-cigs can do though, so users are still lumped together with smokers and gettign 2nd hand smoke.

• 1 month later...

According to a motivational speaker I listen to sometimes, it’s almost impossible to achieve anything worthy in this life without having enough reason for having such a dream. Same thing apply to smoke quitting. Before you can be able to gain enough courage and confidence needed to stop smoking you really need to have enough reason for doing so.

Download this free ebook, it might be helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

One day, i forgot to buy my usual daily pack of cigarettes and I told myself I'd buy later. Then I was about to buy, I reminded myself again to buy later. Then later. And when I was already craving for a stick of cigarette, I just imagined myself to be smoking one.

Days turned to weeks, then weeks turned to months, and it's now 4 1/2 years since I last smoked.

Actually, I wanted to quit much earlier, but that resolve was finally realized only after 10 years of trying. At any rate, I "reassured" myself that I'd go back to smoking when I reach 70 years old and I'm still alive (about the average life expectancy of Filipinos) and if I still have the craving for it because in that age I don't care anymore if I die smoking. In the meantime, I will not even touch a pack of cigarettes.