WWE Wrestling/Usapang Wrestling

A look at the career of the "Rabid Wolverine"

By Louie Dee

Written: June 25, 2007

The sports-entertainment world has lost a Legend, as WWE is saddened to report that Chris Benoit and his family were found dead in their Atlanta-area home today. Benoit was 40 years old.

A trainee of the legendary Stu Hart, Benoit began his career in 1985 in Calgary after training with Stu and the Hart Family in the infamous Dungeon. Benoit idolized former World Tag Team Champion Dynamite Kid, and the high-flying style Benoit utilized throughout his career was influenced heavily by the British Superstar. However, his training in the Dungeon helped mold him into one of the best technical grapplers in sports-entertainment history as well.

Benoit competed for Stu Hart’s Stampede Wrestling organization from 1985-1989, where he held both the British Commonwealth Title and the International Tag Team Title four times each, before heading to Japan, where his career truly blossomed. He originally competed as the masked Pegasus Kid and had numerous classic clashes with Japanese legends such as Shinjiro Ohtani and Jushin “Thunder” Liger. It was in New Japan Pro Wrestling where he also met a man who would become one of his closest friends, Eddie Guerrero.

While in Japan, Benoit held the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship and won the 1994 Super J Cup tournament, one of the most prestigious light-heavyweight tournaments in sports-entertainment.

It was that same year that Benoit burst onto the scene in the United States. He had competed in the States before, taking part in the NWA World Tag Team Title tournament in 1992 and wrestling briefly in WCW, but it was in South Philadelphia where Benoit truly cut his teeth in America. Benoit joined ECW, where he teamed with another long-time friend, Dean Malenko, to win the ECW Tag Team Championship. It was also during his time in South Philadelphia where Benoit became known as the “Canadian Crippler,” as it was during a match with Benoit where Sabu suffered a broken neck.

After a year in ECW, Benoit headed back to WCW (and also New Japan, who had a working agreement with ECW at the time). His career elevated to the next level when he became an official member of the Four Horsemen, joining Ric Flair, Arn Anderson and Brian Pillman in 1995.

During his near five-year stay in WCW, Benoit went from an unknown to household name and bona-fide Superstar. Staying close with the Horsemen through numerous incarnations of the group, Benoit became known for his hard-hitting, smash-mouth, no-nonsense style. His rivalry with Kevin Sullivan throughout 1996 (including their legendary Falls Count Anywhere Match at the 1996 Great American Bash) was lauded as one of the greatest and most intense in the company’s history.

While in WCW, Benoit also racked up numerous accolades. He held the Television Championship on three occasions, was a two-time United States Champion and won the WCW Tag Team Championship twice as well (once with Malenko, once with Perry Saturn). He also faced Bret Hart in a tribute match to Bret’s brother and Benoit’s good friend Owen Hart in 1999, and in his final WCW match in January 2000, Benoit defeated Sid to win the WCW World Heavyweight Championship.

Unfortunately, trouble in WCW led to Benoit, Guerrero, Malenko and Saturn leaving the company the next day, so the reign was nullified. The foursome, however, debuted later that month in WWE as The Radicalz.

Benoit immediately found success in WWE, claiming the Intercontinental Championship at WrestleMania 2000. He would go on to hold that gold on a total of four occasions. Through 2003, he also held the World Tag Team Championship and the WWE Tag Team Championship.

Finally, in 2004, after nearly 20 years of struggle, Benoit reached the top. Starting the match at No. 1, Benoit lasted over an hour to win the 2004 Royal Rumble Match, last eliminating the mammoth Big Show to win. That earned him a World Championship match, and at WrestleMania XX in Madison Square Garden, he defeated Shawn Michaels and champion Triple H in a Triple Threat Match to claim the World Heavyweight Championship. The celebration is one of the most memorable WrestleMania moments of all-time, as he and best friend Eddie Guerrero (the reigning WWE Champion at the time) embraced in the center of the ring amidst a stream of confetti and the cheers of a raucous capacity crowd.

In the next three years, Benoit would go on to hold the World Tag Team Championship twice more and had three reigns as United States Champion, the last of which ended just two months ago at Backlash. He was drafted to ECW in the 2007 WWE Draft, and in his final WWE match, Benoit defeated Elijah Burke on the June 19 ECW on Sci Fi.

Over the course of his 22-year career, Chris Benoit solidified his reputation as one of the greatest to ever set foot inside a ring. He was a man of few words, but his passion for the sports-entertainment business was almost unrivaled. Whether loved or hated, Benoit was always well-respected by our fans and his peers for his in-ring ability, his trademark toothless grin and his no-nonsense attitude.

The sports-entertainment world has truly suffered a loss with his passing, as one of the all-time greats was taken well before his time.

Sayang. Isa pa naman to sa mga totoong may talent. Another blow to the industry no doubt. Technical and ground-based pero yung kaisa-isa nyang high-risk, high-risk talaga. It's always fun to watch him do his flying headbutt - one of the few top-rope moves that looks GENUINELY painful.

He will be missed. Panonoorin ko sigurado yung tribute sa kanya.

one of the few top-rope moves that looks GENUINELY painful.

uhmm dude most all the "high risk maneouvers" you see in wrestling is genuinely painful.

remember wrestling isn't fake, it's pre-determined, but it's not without its share of pain.

The question now is how did Vince escape his fiery "death"?

Vince showing up on RAW is him breaking Kayfabe out of respect to the Benoits.

It's likely that they will scrap the dead Mr. McMahon storyline after this.

got this from the internet, and this is still unconfirmed

From the Wrestling Classics board:

There is no official statement from the Fayette County Sheriff's Department on the case, with the exception that they are indeed investigating it as a murder-homicide. Initial autopsy results are expected Tuesday.

An unnamed source with involvement in the case has revealed that it is being speculated that Chris Benoit murdered his wife sometime Saturday, before taking his son's life sometime Sunday, and finally his own.

Benoit's body was found in a weight room, his wife's was in the living room, and their son was found in his bedroom, according to the source

if true then that's really f*cked

but I have that sinking feeling that this is a huge huge possibility, and the legacy of one of my pro-wrestling heroes will forever be tainted.

semi PBP of tonight's RAW (swiped from another board)

I missed the middle hour, but they're showing old matches, vignettes, and tributes from other wrestlers.

Stone Cold, as always, didn't cry but was just somber. I've noticed that about him. After all the wrestling tragedies, Austin has never once cried. He had alot of good things to say about Benoit.

HHH recounted a story where Benoit saw some rookie disrespect HBK. He made the rookie do 1000 squats right there. The next day, he made him do 500 more.

JBL recounted a story where Benoit felt a couple guys weren't showing enough respect, so Benoit kicked them out of the locker room for good.

Malenko mentioned that he was the one who offered the Crippler Crossface to benoit when Benoit was young and looking for a finisher. He also mentioned what a surly guy benoit was and how many people got the wrong impression of him. They called him Houdini because he would just get up in the middle of a conversation and just walk away without saying a word. LOL

Cena said he was the type of guy you'd want to go to war with and that CHris was the kinda guy you could never say "i love you" to, but then mentioned that he did love Benoit.

Vince dropped the death gimmick and came out.

Chavo also said how Benoit was the first person he called about Eddys death and Benoit was part of his family.

Edge mentioned how 2 of 3 guys that He could go talk to are now gone. Eddy Guerrero and Chris Benoit. He said some nice things about Benoit and started to get very emotional at the end.

Edited by Larry
I hope the murder-suicide angle isn't true

me too bro

it's unthinkable, but right now it's where all the stories point too.

MSNBC Online is reporting it as a murder/suicide

also this other article from: AccessNorthGa.com reports it as such:

excerpts from the AccessNorthGa article:

Pro wrestler Chris Benoit, his wife and 7-year-old son were found slain Monday at their Fayetteville home, authorities said.

Detective Bo Turner told television station WAGA that the case was being investigated as a murder-suicide, but said that could not be confirmed until the evidence was examined by a crime lab.

WAGA reported that investigators believe Benoit killed his wife and son over the weekend, and then himself sometime Monday.

A concerned neighbor called police. The bodies were found in three different rooms.

more at the link....

ahhhhhhh f*ck

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Sports/story?id=3315501&page=1

Wrestling star Chris Benoit, his wife, Nancy, and their 7-year-old son, Daniel, were found dead in their suburban Atlanta home Monday. The deaths are being investigated as a possible suicide and double homicide, authorities told ABC News.

Lt. Tommy Pope of the Fayette County Sheriff's Department told ABC News that Benoit had missed several appointments over the weekend, leading concerned parties to ask police to do a "welfare check." When sheriffs arrived at the Benoits' home, they found the wrestler, his wife and their son dead.

There were no signs of gunshot wounds or stabbing, according to Pope. Authorities are not ruling out other causes, such as poisoning, suffocation or strangulation. Pope told ABC News that his department is looking at this situation as a "possible double murder, suicide."

Pope said "the instruments of death were located on scene," but he would not specify what those instruments are or where in the house the bodies were found. Pope added the department is "not actively searching for any suspects outside of the house."

---------------------------

from TheCitizen.com

Wrestler, family found dead

Mon, 06/25/2007 - 10:06pmBy: John Munford

Authorities believe wrestler Benoit killed wife, son then himself

Authorities believe a professional wrestler, his wife and son ‑ found dead in their central Fayette County home Monday afternoon ‑ died in a murder-suicide.

District Attorney Scott Ballard said Monday night that he felt confident that Chris Benoit killed his wife Nancy, their 7-year-old son and then himself.

Ballard declined to release the cause of death, but said that earlier news reports that the Benoits died of gunshots were false. The crime lab is in the process of confirming the cause of death, but Ballard said there was enough evidence on scene to make him confident that the Benoits were not killed by another person.

Ballard said sheriff's deputies were called to the Benoit home around 2:30 p.m. after another wrestler called the sheriff's department asking them to check on the family because Benoit had failed to show up for an event in another state. When deputies got to the Benoit home off Quarters Road, they smelled the odor of decaying bodies, Ballard said.

The family's bodies were found inside the home, Ballard confirmed.

"Every indication is that this is a murder-suicide," Ballard said, adding that additional investigation still has to take place before a final determination can be made.

Ballard said when he heard that a young child was killed, it "just tore my guts out."

Benoit made his WWE debut in January 2000, following a stint in ECW and WCW and he was at one time world heavyweight champion, world tag team champion and intercontinental champion.

Something to think about (swiped from another board):

When I heard that Benoit had died the first thing that came to my mind was a Steroid induced heart attack like Eddie Guerrero.

But when I heard that his wife and Kid were dead also the second thing that came to mind was Kevin Sullivan.

Now for those of you not familar with wrestling let me fill you in. Kevin Sullivan was a big name wrestler in the South in the 80's and early 90's and worked as a "Booker" that is the guy who sets up matches and determines the outcome.

Sullivan booked a feud in which Benoit was having an affair with Sullivan's (real life) wife Nancy (also known as Woman). Benoit and Nancy were forced to spend time together to make the affair look real, (hold hands in public, share hotel rooms, etc.). Eventually the affair became REAL. Nancy Sullivan left Kevin and divorced him to marry Benoit. Because of this, Sullivan and Benoit had a contentious backstage relationship at best and Benoit defeated Sullivan in a Retirement match. Benoit does, however, admit having a certain amount of respect for Sullivan, saying on the DVD Hard Knocks: The Chris Benoit Story that Sullivan never took undue liberties in the ring during their feud, even though he blamed Benoit for breaking up his marriage.

That was 11 years ago, but s@%t maybe Sullivan is one patient MFer.

I mean Sullivan hated Benoits guts and the fact that both Benoit, Nancy and their son were murdered sounds like the murderer had personal reasons for this.

As a intresting side note, Sullivan is a self proclaimed Satanist.

it's a little too wild for me Kevin Sullivan doesn't strike me as the cool conniving type, but the way the case spins it's not that far off if you think about it.

Edited by Larry

It would take more than a police investigation to convince me that Benoit killed his family. I mean, toothless aggression aside, I just don't think this guy is capable of murder. Remember him crying over the death of Eddie Guerrero?

I think if there was murder involved, it would've been another person. Like the Sullivan guy...

RIP Idol.....

Im still not completely over Chavo's demise now The Great Chris Benoit.... :cry: He is one the few WWE wrestlers I truly respect.... He is the one that i can mostly relate to because he was a short guy like me...and i always admired a man with a few words but with lots of action.....He is the personification of a man with big balls...even if it were just fo sho.....As a big Benoit fan, this is painful for me.....I got a Benoit poster right next to my bed.....now how the hell am I suppose to sleep. :(

I don't think he could k*ll his wife and son.....no i don't want to believe this s@%t....somebody killed them :angry:

Edited by Waterbearer