Sports Cards Collectors

Fitzroy

Any idea what and when the next release is?

EX is already released.. Up next is Topps Thirple Threads, tentative release is next month.. EX provides stunning cards but is also an expensive product.. EX stuff might be on display in Vertu's stores this coming week.. :cool:

I agree to all of you guys. The big issue here is the expensive price of cards/packs, that is killing this hobby. I started collecting in '95 and the most expensive packs before, if I'm not mistaken, was Topps Finest (around PHP400-600). Look at the prices today, your 600 pesos can't even afford to buy a single pack.

Gone are the days where we can go to different places in the Metro looking to trade with other collectors. I remember one time, I have a 1-pocket binder full of commons and subsets, but at the end of the day, I was able to get a high-end MJ insert card. We surely miss those days where we can have good cards by trading. Now it is almost impossible to get these cards without money involved.

I'm also trying to encourage old friends in the hobby to start collecting again, but they all have similar reasons why they don't want to get back, and that is the price of the cards. Very Sad!!!

As what revi said, as long as there are true collectors, this hobby will NEVER die!!!

OT: Pwede ba tayo magkaroon ng SIG about NBA Cards Collector para ma recognize tayo dito sa MTC. Baka marami pa mga collectors dati na hindi pa nabisita dito sa thread na ito. Maganda sana kung pare-parehas tayo ng sig... B)

As what revi said, as long as there are true collectors, this hobby will NEVER die!!!

OT: Pwede ba tayo magkaroon ng SIG about NBA Cards Collector para ma recognize tayo dito sa MTC. Baka marami pa mga collectors dati na hindi pa nabisita dito sa thread na ito. Maganda sana kung pare-parehas tayo ng sig... B)

Thank you, DShock.. :cool: Your suggestion is possible.. I don't think the moderators would mind if we advertise this thread to other MTC peeps.. :mtc:

Regarding the signature.. I agree and I have already added a small portion (a link) in my sig that says: Member: NBA CARDBOARD FANATICS IN MTC as a sample.. Is this fine with you guys? Suggestions of a nice and catchy signature/statement on the link?

Click on the link to try it.. Sa akin, kahit hindi pare-pareho ang itsura ng signature/link as long iisa ang statement, ok na yun.. :)

Edited by revi

Guess the bottomline really is the money...

Well, I take comfort at what Dshock said. Real collectors never die they just go broke!!! hahaha

Seriously, we need also to help one another fan the flame because others I believe need some encouragement and having this thread and ultiamtely some kind of a "revival" meeting of sorts that we can do in the next months or so would really help others. I mean we all know how expensive it is. BUt I guess as long as we keep a tight reign on the matter I think others can still afford the hobby. Problem is if we don't have the netweork and the collectors' mindset and understanding... the smackers will just make more money out of us! We need to bring back some honest to goodness trading and dealing as a good start. so?....

About the SIG, good idea. I haven't thought of a catchy phrase yet but allow me to comment on your sample SIG Revi....

I think putting the word BASKETBALL is a bit redundant don't you think? The word NBA is already there. Also, is the word FANATICS really necessary? hehehe

Ok guys send in some nice simple catchy phrase. Others might want to modify what Revi has suggested...

Hmmmm....

Pinoy NBA collectors at MTC...

NBA collectors at MTC...

Edited by clydedrexler
About the SIG, good idea. I haven't thought of a catchy phrase yet but allow me to comment on your sample SIG Revi....

I think putting the word BASKETBALL is a bit redundant don't you think? The word NBA is already there. Also, is the word FANATICS really necessary? hehehe

Ok guys send in some nice simple catchy phrase. Others might want to modify what Revi has suggested...

Hmmmm....

Pinoy NBA collectors at MTC...

NBA collectors at MTC...

In my humble opinion, you can't just say "NBA Collectors.." Why? Coz we are talking about NBA Cards not just the NBA.. There should be at least the words "cards" there.. Plus I don't think that the phrase, "NBA Basketball" is redundant.. Remember the phrase that broadcasters do.. "If you don't like that, you don't like NBA Basketball.." :)

I used the word "Fanatics" coz I was actually thinking of "fanboys," but what about the girls? hehe.. It is more to create an impact.. Coz if you want the link to be clicked/noticed, it has to creat an impact.. Maganda sana kung banner para mas may dating.. but I dunno how to make one.. Gamitin kaya natin, "maniacs.." hehe!!!

Well, its still up to us to decide.. Nasa sa inyo yun kung ano sa tingin niyo ang maganda.. It has to be uniform.. Anyone can use the signature.. Walang restrictions.. :).. No fees.. Nothing..

cencya na if my post is like cold water that dose off the fire you were making.

i admire the effort you guys are doing, grabe as much as i wanna get back at collecting. the sting of that experience kse was heavy on us.

ganito kse un, if im not mistaken ang name ng store ata was "cats" dont know if i spell it right, sobrang kilala ng bro ko ung may ari and ako naman mga sales ladies. they even have an outlet sa greenhills dati.

nung time na sbrang sikat jordan cards,penny, etc etc sa sobrang gusto namin ng bro ko makakuha nung mga magagandang cards for personal collection lang talaga. we weigh our options kse sure na dami ordinary cards na baka hindi namin ma dispose. pero for the fun of it na makakuha ng really good cards we bought 4 box if im not mistaken fleer or tops ata.

so when we open it, patagal ng patagal kme nagbubukas we were dismay about what we were getting. ika nga we get only 2 of the promise 4 o none of the promise 1 etc etc. to the point we got wiser kse napansin nga namin those that wasnt sealed properly we didnt open it anymore at nung pinapalit namin pinalitan naman. s@%t sila!

we only got 60% of the promise amount of good cards, iba pare parehas pa na sikat na players pero hindi ganun kataas ang value. we have to sell bagsak presyo ng ordinary cards meaning at a range of 5 pesos to 40 pesos (superstar) may kasama pang iba cards of their liking basta ok sa amin.

my bro reklamo sya sa may ari at sinabi lang na ganun talaga daw ang boxes, kahit daw sila ganyan for their retail. what the f#&k! so after that incident we close the albums we have and say its "done"

Ya, card or cardboard or anything to that effect should be there I agree. I didn't say we shouldn't. I was just referring to the basketball word.

Easy lang po boys. This reminds me of Philippine politics, great ideas being derailed by logical reasoning. Both are correct to the detriment of the goal. Actually, it really doesn't matter how or what you call it as long as the members are true to the objective and essence of the program. For me, any name would do.

I like Sir Clydedrexler's idea of 'some kind of a "revival" meeting of sorts that we can do in the next months or so would really help others'. I hope this does push through with enough participants. Maybe we can take an initial roll call on how many active collectors are currently in tis MTC thread?

cencya na if my post is like cold water that dose off the fire you were making.

i admire the effort you guys are doing, grabe as much as i wanna get back at collecting. the sting of that experience kse was heavy on us.

ganito kse un, if im not mistaken ang name ng store ata was "cats" dont know if i spell it right, sobrang kilala ng bro ko ung may ari and ako naman mga sales ladies. they even have an outlet sa greenhills dati.

nung time na sbrang sikat jordan cards,penny, etc etc sa sobrang gusto namin ng bro ko makakuha nung mga magagandang cards for personal collection lang talaga. we weigh our options kse sure na dami ordinary cards na baka hindi namin ma dispose. pero for the fun of it na makakuha ng really good cards we bought 4 box if im not mistaken fleer or tops ata.

so when we open it, patagal ng patagal kme nagbubukas we were dismay about what we were getting. ika nga we get only 2 of the promise 4 o none of the promise 1 etc etc. to the point we got wiser kse napansin nga namin those that wasnt sealed properly we didnt open it anymore at nung pinapalit namin pinalitan naman. s@%t sila!

we only got 60% of the promise amount of good cards, iba pare parehas pa na sikat na players pero hindi ganun kataas ang value. we have to sell bagsak presyo ng ordinary cards meaning at a range of 5 pesos to 40 pesos (superstar) may kasama pang iba cards of their liking basta ok sa amin.

my bro reklamo sya sa may ari at sinabi lang na ganun talaga daw ang boxes, kahit daw sila ganyan for their retail. what the f#&k! so after that incident we close the albums we have and say its "done"

Sir, I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Ganun talaga negosyo. There are some shops that put profit above all else. It takes one rotten egg to ruin your hobby, but that doesn't mean there aren't any honest shops around na. Maybe you can give the hobby another chance, sir. Daan po kayo Vmall. Maybe just by browsing, you can bring back the memories and thrill of collecting... :)

Ya, card or cardboard or anything to that effect should be there I agree. I didn't say we shouldn't. I was just referring to the basketball word.

As I have said, clyde, I don't think that the word "Basketball" makes the phrase "NBA Basketball Cards/Cardboard" redundant.. But that's just me.. Again, its up to you, guys.. Nasa sa inyo yan.. I am just saying my thoughts aloud..

@psa10: We are not actually fighting, psa10.. Sharing ideas lang po ang mga iyan.. :cool:

DShock's suggestion for a uniform signature is the start for any "meeting" to be successful here in MTC.. We can not push any Basketball Card EB's without many attending.. This thread has to be noticed by MTC members, that maybe, #1.. they are collectors, #2.. ex-collectors, and #3.. interested (in other words, could be enticed) in collecting.. Hwag lang tayong magmadali..

Again, this is the reason why I will always take pictures of the stuff we (Vertu's group) open.. To entice (and make this thread fun to visit) other members, and some of the old collectors who are also members to start collecting or to rekindle their interest in collecting.. IMO, Vertu's appearance in the hobby for the past years has made two options for the collectors out there in getting their cards, either you could buy singles from his stores and in e-bay or boxes in Courtside for example.. Hindi kamukha noon na kadalasn packs/boxes ang pwedeng bilhin para lang to trade di ba?

As I have said before, the collecting industry in the PI has changed.. Vertu's entry just made it more interesting and dynamic.. :thumbsupsmiley:

Edited by revi
Sir, I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Ganun talaga negosyo. There are some shops that put profit above all else. It takes one rotten egg to ruin your hobby, but that doesn't mean there aren't any honest shops around na. Maybe you can give the hobby another chance, sir. Daan po kayo Vmall. Maybe just by browsing, you can bring back the memories and thrill of collecting... :)

I agree.. (But I was surprised that the store is CATS, Wow!!! :lol:

@launchpad: I also would like to invite you to Vertu's shops in Greenhills and in Megamall.. You don't need to buy, as psa10 said, just window-shop.. Try to feel that long-lost collecting fire that we (as collectors or ex-collectors) always carry.. :)

Edited by revi

We really need to encourage others so this "meeting" would push through. And revi is right, we should not rush things, let's do it one step at a time. If we can encourage more people then we can start a Group of our own here in MTC, much like the group of Magic The Gathering, they call themselves "MTC Wizards". :cool:

How about calling ourselves "MTC Thrill Seekers :: NBA Trading Card Collectors". Because there is always a thrill in this hobby, what do you think? :lol: :mtc:

Yes revi, the Signature Banner would be much better so it could easily be noticed by others. :thumbsupsmiley:

@launchpad: I also would like to invite you to Vertu's shops in Greenhills and in Megamall.. You don't need to buy, as psa10 said, just window-shop.. Try to feel that long-lost collecting fire that we (as collectors or ex-collectors) always carry.. :)

To launchpad & others:

Yes, try to visit Vertu's shops or other card shops, or you can browse Ebay's page and look at those exquisite cards. Feel that long-lost fire and see for yourselves if you could give it another spark. B)

Edited by • dShock •
How about calling ourselves "MTC Thrill Seekers :: NBA Trading Card Collectors". Because there is always a thrill in this hobby, what do you think? :lol: :mtc:

Yes revi, the Signature Banner would be much better so it could easily be noticed by others. :thumbsupsmiley:

Thanks dShock..

Pards, that is one cool name for the banner.. I like it.. "MTC Thrill Seekers: NBA Trading Card Collectors" can really turn heads.. The "Thrill Seekers" slogan just made the name more noticeable.. :cool: You get my vote.. :thumbsupsmiley:

i would like to share kme ng brother ko how we do collecting, the reason also we bought the 4 boxes. our aim was also for trading meaning if we have a duplicate card which others like and we also like some of his cards we trade,

plus we sell in the price that we feel right not feel we could earn so much. a price that could put a smile in your face that didnt rip you off. at a price we felt were happy and the other felt its perfect for the money.

we dont follow the becket just a guide. cguro thats the difference between a collector and a businessman e

d bale ill give it thought thanks guys

i would like to share kme ng brother ko how we do collecting, the reason also we bought the 4 boxes. our aim was also for trading meaning if we have a duplicate card which others like and we also like some of his cards we trade,

plus we sell in the price that we feel right not feel we could earn so much. a price that could put a smile in your face that didnt rip you off. at a price we felt were happy and the other felt its perfect for the money.

we dont follow the becket just a guide. cguro thats the difference between a collector and a businessman e

d bale ill give it thought thanks guys

Hi guys,

just my two cents worth on this issue. I think its a great idea to revive the hobby here. Believe me, with the March madness happening plus next year's rookie crop, its only good things to come for us this next NBA season. But the thing is, smackers galore na naman yan. I always say that its hard to separate the collectors with the "collectors" minsan its really a fine line with them. Everyone wants to make a buck or two for the next issue or card that comes along. Basta huwag lang naman garapal right?

i like dshock's idea of a meet for collectors. Set a time for everyone and i'll surely go. Its nice to get to know you guys not only through this thread but in person. Think we are all for one common goal, its to keep this hobby alive and afloat.

EX is out guys. It should be in the stores in the next two days.

Hi guys,

just my two cents worth on this issue. I think its a great idea to revive the hobby here. Believe me, with the March madness happening plus next year's rookie crop, its only good things to come for us this next NBA season. But the thing is, smackers galore na naman yan. I always say that its hard to separate the collectors with the "collectors" minsan its really a fine line with them. Everyone wants to make a buck or two for the next issue or card that comes along. Basta huwag lang naman garapal right?

i like dshock's idea of a meet for collectors. Set a time for everyone and i'll surely go. Its nice to get to know you guys not only through this thread but in person. Think we are all for one common goal, its to keep this hobby alive and afloat.

EX is out guys. It should be in the stores in the next two days.

its hard to separate the collectors with the "collectors"

Nicely said Sir Vertu, i myself is a long time "TRUE COLLECTOR", pero still a constant victim to these collectors. I even gave up on ebay, most of my recent purchases were either lost or got stolen, maski redemption card. Anyway, just a few reasons why i "temporarily" stop collecting, but i still do frequently drop by card shops and ebay just to check on the latest release.

hi guys! i just want to say that since my first post in this thread (page 25 i think) and after reading all the posts and saw the pics. i must say that i am definitely back in the hobby or i guess i'm trying to. since feb, ive bought learned how to look for bargains, i've gotten alot of info from this thread's members. i've even discovered the gold mine that's called "ebay". i've bought a couple of cards that i wouldn't have dreamt of having a few years back. i am happy and sad at the same time. Happy because the excitement and joy is back whenever i see good cards posted on ebay that i can affordf for my collection. I'm sad because i do not know which one to buy first because lets face it, cards on ebay can be very cheaper than its actual value but at the end of the day your wallet would always take a definite hit. But i'm so happy just the same. (just wishing my credit card bill doesnt arrive anytime soon! :P)

By the way, here's a list of cards that i've won since i unofficially came back into the hobby:

1) 2005-06 ULTRA BUYBACK 2 COLOR JERSEY KARL MALONE 7/16 - $10.95 (inc. shipping)

2) 91-92 FLEER KARL MALONE NBA SCHOOLYARD STARS 5 OF 6

3) 96-97 FLEER GAME BREAKERS KARL MALONE JOHN STOCKTON - #2 & 3 = $7.95 (inc. shipping)

4) 93-94 Upper Deck MJ's Flight Team Karl Malone

5) 93-94 Finest Main Attraction Karl Malone

6) 93-94 Finest Midwest's Finest Karl Malone subset - #4-6 = P420 (inc. shipping)

7) CLYDE DREXLER 97/98 TOPPS AUTO w/ GAI certificate - $7.25 (inc. shipping)

8) 1997-98 SP Authentic Sign of the Times Stars and Rookies with bonus card - $67.00 (inc. shipping)

Just wanted to share with you guys. Let's keep the hobby alive!

F. T. L. O. C.

For The Love Of Cardboard!

We also liked to meet you in person Vertu, you are the finest collector here in PI, your cards are sooo cool. :cool: Hope this meeting would push through...

Nicely said Sir Vertu, i myself is a long time "TRUE COLLECTOR", pero still a constant victim to these collectors. I even gave up on ebay, most of my recent purchases were either lost or got stolen, maski redemption card. Anyway, just a few reasons why i "temporarily" stop collecting, but i still do frequently drop by card shops and ebay just to check on the latest release.

That is a bad experience for you on Ebay, sorry to hear that... But it is good to know that you just temporarily stop collecting, so the interest and the love for the hobby could still be there... Hope you can give it another chance. :heart:

hi guys! i just want to say that since my first post in this thread (page 25 i think) and after reading all the posts and saw the pics. i must say that i am definitely back in the hobby or i guess i'm trying to. since feb, ive bought learned how to look for bargains, i've gotten alot of info from this thread's members. i've even discovered the gold mine that's called "ebay". i've bought a couple of cards that i wouldn't have dreamt of having a few years back. i am happy and sad at the same time. Happy because the excitement and joy is back whenever i see good cards posted on ebay that i can affordf for my collection. I'm sad because i do not know which one to buy first because lets face it, cards on ebay can be very cheaper than its actual value but at the end of the day your wallet would always take a definite hit. But i'm so happy just the same. (just wishing my credit card bill doesnt arrive anytime soon! :P)

Good for you bro! Welcome Back to this hobby! :thumbsupsmiley:

That is one thing I like in Ebay, we can get the cards much cheaper compared to buying them with the smackers. Just be sure to keep note on your purchases, so you won't be surprised when your credit card statement arrives. :upside:

Conratulations on your recent purchases! More cards to come! B)

Pards, that is one cool name for the banner.. I like it.. "MTC Thrill Seekers: NBA Trading Card Collectors" can really turn heads.. The "Thrill Seekers" slogan just made the name more noticeable.. :cool: You get my vote.. :thumbsupsmiley:

Thanks hehe... I also like styx310's F. T. L. O. C. (For The Love Of Cardboard!). :cool: Anymore suggestions? :mtc:

We (Vertu's group) opened 12 cases of 06-07 EX yesterday and a case of 03-04 Triple Dimensions..

The EX was a fun case to break.. It has good quality cards and featured a lot of memorabilias and autographs.. Jambalayas are seeded at around one per case and is one of the best card to pull.. I was so excited to pull a Jambalaya and all I was able to pull was just a Peja Stojakovic.. Vertu and the others were able to pull Jambalayas of Jordan, 2 Wades, a Dr. J, Olajuwon and Stockton.. Guess my luck was short on that day.. :P Still I had a fun time busting the cases/boxes.. :)

Here is the picture of the stack/pile of cards that we were able to open.. As you can see we were able to get a lot of RC autographs which includes 2 Brandon Roys, Lamarcus Aldridge, 2 Rudy Gays.. Essential Credentials were a-plenty.. Credentials are low numbered cards and we pulled an Autographed RC of Bargnani, 2 Adam Morrisons, a Redick.. Veteran credentials include 2 Kobe's, Melo, and 2 Wades... 1 Kobe Credential was Numbered to 8 of __ (1 of 1) and 1 of the Wades was also numbered #3 of __ (another 1 of 1).. :cool:

Several autographed patches were also pulled which includes Carlos Boozer, Tyson Chandler (#d to 10), Andre Iguodala.. Some included tag patches which are numbered to 10.. We also pulled 3 sick Kobe Bryant patches.. 3 colors minimum ang patches.. Ganda..

These would be availabe in Vertu's VMall store today (March 20) at around 12NN.. Megamall would probably have these stuff by Thursday or Friday.. Also check attyball23's items in e-bay within the week for more doses of EX 2006-07.. :thumbsupsmiley:

post-75683-1174334274.jpg

Edited by revi