Who Is Into Scale Modelling?

coolestboy

Ask ko ulet - does anyone know where I can get sandpaper with 1800 and above grit?

Doc,

Haven't seen 1800 grit, but I just bought 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper at ACE hardware. Just to be safe, look up the ACE hardware branch telephone numbers in the yellow pages and call before going, just to make sure that the branch has it. I got mine at ACE hardware in SM Bicutan - P19.75 per A5 sheet size.

Happy hunting!

BTW, when painting a battleship, which do you paint first - then red hull paint or the battleship gray color from the waterline up?

boss dr. pepper....

now im ready to paid my models...

do i have to use primer paint first?

what kind?

Sir Buttakkal, it all depends on you whether to use primer. If you are brushpainting, I recommend using a primer. If you use an airbrush, a basecoat of the proper color will do. If your plastic is dark colored but you are painting the model a light color, I also suggest using a primer.

The primer I use is Painter's Touch. It is a spraycan sandable primer and I use the gray colored one. When I bought it at True Value it was about P130 a can, much cheaper than Tamiya primer spray. Hope this helps.

Edited by Dr_PepPeR
Which is better?

Tamiya plastic cement or Mighty Bond.

I use Mighty Bond for my 1:144 models and it is ok naman...

Again it depends.

If it is a styrene to styrene plastic bond, tamiya cement would be better because the cement melts the styrene at contact point so it really fuses the plastic together.

If you are joining different materials, then mighty bond, which is a cyano based glue or superglue would be better. Superglues are strong in holding materials together but are weak in shear types of separation.

Either will work with styrene plastic, I sometimes use a combination of both for the same join since Mightybond will harden in a few seconds and the Tamiya cement is there to make sure the bond is semi forevern

Thanks Dr.Pepper.  :)

Yeah, the Tamiya fuses the plastic parts together and the problem I get is when I apply too much plastic cement the parts get warped that is why I use Mighty Bond sometimes...

You should use Tamiya cement sparingly because it is "hot" meaning that it melts plastic. The best way to apply this is to hold the pieces together with a rubber band (make sure it doesn't touch the seam line) then apply the cement to the seam using a small pointed brush. Capillary action will make the cement run down the join line. I highly recommend Tamiya Extra Thin cement. The brush that comes in the applicator cap can also be used to apply the regular Tamiya cement. You also want to keep the cement where it belongs - in the join - because it will craze or mark the plastic if you get it where it shouldn't be.

Be careful also with laquer thinner, it is also "hot" on styrene plastic. Some modellers even use this stuff for cement.

I remember when I was a kid and used about half a tube of Depont Duco cement to put some weights in a nose sitting 1/32 plane. The next day I saw that the weights had melted thru the fuselage and the nose was bent down. It wasn't funny at the time.

Ask ko ulet - does anyone know where I can get sandpaper with 1800 and above grit?

Doc,

Haven't seen 1800 grit, but I just bought 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper at ACE hardware.  Just to be safe, look up the ACE hardware branch telephone numbers in the yellow pages and call before going, just to make sure that the branch has it.  I got mine at ACE hardware in SM Bicutan - P19.75 per A5 sheet size.

Happy hunting!

BTW, when painting a battleship, which do you paint first - then red hull paint or the battleship gray color from the waterline up?

Sa mga hardware...........chill..........

Boss Yu-gi-oh, do you mean the hardware shops in the Quiapo area? All the hardware shops I've been to only have up to 1200 grit.  I'm looking for 1800 up to 12000 grit paper for doing a gloss finish on a car model.

Doc,

Try ACE hardware.

Boss Yu-gi-oh, do you mean the hardware shops in the Quiapo area? All the hardware shops I've been to only have up to 1200 grit.  I'm looking for 1800 up to 12000 grit paper for doing a gloss finish on a car model.

minsa kasi may hardware na nagcacary gaya nung isang hardware d2 sa tayuman pritil....dun bumibili bro ko ng sandpaper na hi grade.....

Doc,

Try ACE hardware.

Hey thanks! I did go to ACE before and was able to get one of those Scotch 1200 grit wet/dry sandpaper. But I'm still looking for really high grade sandpaper up to 12000 hopefully. I really want to do a high gloss finish this time.

For ships with red hulls, I usually paint the gray first then mask it for the dark red hulls. No matter what color the plastic, the gray will act as a primer for the dark red.

Sir Buttakkal, it all depends on you whether to use primer. If you are brushpainting, I recommend using a primer. If you use an airbrush, a basecoat of the proper color will do. If your plastic is dark colored but you are painting the model a light color, I also suggest using a primer.

The primer I use is Painter's Touch. It is a spraycan sandable primer and I use the gray colored one. When I bought it at True Value it was about P130 a can, much cheaper than Tamiya primer spray. Hope this helps.

pare thanks for your good advice.

ano ba yang primier...direct application ba yan or may mix formula dyan?

Hey thanks! I did go to ACE before and was able to get one of those Scotch 1200 grit wet/dry sandpaper. But I'm still looking for really high grade sandpaper up to 12000 hopefully. I really want to do a high gloss finish this time.

For ships with red hulls, I usually paint the gray first then mask it for the dark red hulls. No matter what color the plastic, the gray will act as a primer for the dark red.

Thanks for the advice Dr. Pepper!

Re: sandpaper - did I read it correctly - 12,000 grit sandpaper? Haven't heard about that. There are paint polishes that can achieve the high gloss finish your require, though.