His Airness Michael Jordan

revo20012000

So for the rest of us unfortunate enough not to have read the book, please enlighten us on which player was considered the greatest ever. Thanks. ^_^

actually, i`m not buying the chapter about MJ hook, line and sinker bro..

talagang mapapaisip ang makakabasa nito as to who should be considered as the greatest basketball player in history..

to answer your query, the author(s) have stated that The Big O., Oscar Robertson is more worthy than MJ to be called the best ever..

:mtc:

Edited by peterparker
actually, i`m not buying the chapter about MJ hook, line and sinker bro..

talagang mapapaisip ang makakabasa nito as to who is to be considered as the greatest basketball player in history..

to answer your query, the author(s) have stated that The Big O., Oscar Robertson is more worthy than MJ to be called the best ever..

Thanks dude!

Interesting choice on the Big O but i think he lacks in the winnability department.

Thanks dude!

Interesting choice on the Big O but i think he lacks in the winnability department.

yup, i have to agree with you on that..

in terms of skill and talent, however, the Big O can hold his own against MJ.. although Air Jordan is the better defender between the two..

Edited by peterparker

sa dinami dami ng mga online forums na nabasa ko, mtc included, about michael jordan, all of them are so similar. Michael is the Best Player there ever is. Michael is that... mike is this..., pero wala pa kong nababasang post na nag eexplain, bakit ba sya ang best ever basketball player in history? Puro mga general statements lang ang nababasa ko? Stats wise? i dont think so. Most famous cguro, no doubt. Michael = Basketball Personified.

Ever imagined if he was born in Communist Russia where Arvydas Sabonis is lording over the sport? What if MJ is a filipino with same skills, can he be considered as the greatest worldwide?

I must admit he's the most perfect basketball marketing machine there ever was, but to be generally called the best, kung pag iisipan nating mabuti, is what we want to see.

To look at the basketball players as a human beings is another topic. Also with their status after they hang their shoes.

sa dinami dami ng mga online forums na nabasa ko, mtc included, about michael jordan, all of them are so similar. Michael is the Best Player there ever is. Michael is that... mike is this..., pero wala pa kong nababasang post na nag eexplain, bakit ba sya ang best ever basketball player in history? Puro mga general statements lang ang nababasa ko? Stats wise? i dont think so. Most famous cguro, no doubt. Michael = Basketball Personified.

Ever imagined if he was born in Communist Russia where Arvydas Sabonis is lording over the sport? What if MJ is a filipino with same skills, can he be considered as the greatest worldwide?

I must admit he's the most perfect basketball marketing machine there ever was, but to be generally called the best, kung pag iisipan nating mabuti, is what we want to see.

To look at the basketball players as a human beings is another topic. Also with their status after they hang their shoes.

those are completely not the point...kung gus2 mo mag debate tayu...sige do the honors...teka marunong kaba kahit mag dribble or crossover...baka naman haharapin ko ay isang inutil...o puro lang dada na madaming alam?... :rolleyes:

Ano ba ang basis mo ng best ever?

Stats? Then how about the 8- or 9-time (?) scoring champion, 3rd all-time and highest career scoring average. 2nd all-time in steals, plus 5,000 assists and rebounds.

Individual awards? - How about 5 MVPs, 6 Finals MVPs, ROY, DPOY, College Player of the Year, etc.

Team awards? - How about 6 NBA rings, 1 NCAA ring, 2 Olympic rings

Transcendent performances? - How about The Shot (vs CLE), The Shot II (vs UTA), the Flu Game (vs UTA), the Shrug (vs POR), the 63 (vs BOS), the Double Nickel (vs NYK) and many more memorable games and moments?

Has there been any other player who can top all of those? True, there are some who may have gaudier stats (Wilt), more rings (Russell), more MVPs (Kareem). But these other guys fall short in some other department. Huwag na tayo mag what-if what-if, i-base na lang natin sa actual achievements.

Edited by dencio
Ano ba ang basis mo ng best ever?

Stats? Then how about the 8- or 9-time (?) scoring champion, 3rd all-time and highest career scoring average. 2nd all-time in steals, plus 5,000 assists and rebounds.

Individual awards? - How about 5 MVPs, 6 Finals MVPs, ROY, DPOY, College Player of the Year, etc.

Team awards? - How about 6 NBA rings, 1 NCAA ring, 2 Olympic rings

Transcendent performances? - How about The Shot (vs CLE), The Shot II (vs UTA), the Flu Game (vs UTA), the Shrug (vs POR), the 63 (vs BOS), the Double Nickel (vs NYK) and many more memorable games and moments?

Has there been any other player who can top all of those? True, there are some who may have gaudier stats (Wilt), more rings (Russell), more MVPs (Kareem). But these other guys fall short in some other department. Huwag na tayo mag what-if what-if, i-base na lang natin sa actual achievements.

total points 2ol...3rd si MJ...pero sa all time Scoring Average si Jordan ang 1st-30.18 si Wilt 2nd-30.12...^_^

the best ever. why? he never lost a finals series in the NBA. he went to the finals 6 x and won them all.

that sets him apart from the other basketball legends. aside from his individual achievements which are not only too many to mention but became the yardstick for all would be heir apparent to follow.

who else became a scoring champion and defensive player of the year in the same season? this to me, is what made him set apart. he's both good offensively and defensively.

scoring champ for 10 seasons. consistent 1st defensive team. one of the best ever clutch shooter in the history of the game.

enough said.

why MJ is "considered" to be the best player to lace 'em up:

this aint about old school stats (PTS, REB, AST, STL, BLK, FG%, etc.) because these stats dont hold water when comparing players from different eras.

on a PER (Player Efficiency Rating) basis, MJ registered the 3rd highest single season PER rating.

of the 10 greatest PER seasons, MJ owns 4 of them. the next is wilt chamberlain with 3.

but if you consider the 20 greatest PER season, MJ owns 6. the next guy is shaq w/ 5.

MJ is also tops in career PER.

in playoff PER, MJ also is the career leader.

he also led the league 6x in playoffs PER rating, the only one who has more is KAJ w/ 7 (he also played 6-7 more years than MJ).

Win Shares (explanation)

MJ topped the league in WS 9 times in his career (tied w/ wilt and russell), nobody else has more than 5.

playoff career WS, MJ is also the career leader.

also has the most times leading the league in playoff career WS with 7. shaq w/ 3, kobe w/ 2, KAJ w/ 3, russell w/ 5, bird w/ 2.

lemme ask you, what is the anomaly with that stat? MJ led the league in WS during the playoffs 7 times and yet he only reached the finals 6 times. meaning that in one year he didnt reach the nba finals, he STILL led the league in win shares.

im not saying these stats are the be all and end all of basketball greatness. these are just to illustrate in perspective (compared with the other greats) what he has done in his career to be considered probably the GOAT.

to be made the yardstick of sports (not just basketball), is an accolade itself. it has even transcended not just into sports but into life. some people are called the michael jordan of golf, the michael jordan of business management, the michael jordan of hosting, the michael jordan of this and that. blah blah blah.

if he was of a different race with the same skills, charisma and same level of play playing in the nba, why wouldnt he be considered the greatest of all time? as long as he played exactly the same way, i dont see any reason why race or origin would be a factor.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/

Check this site. You can compare any nba player's stats. At least back up your claims with some statistics. Let the numbers speak :) Si Oscar Robertson, malayo kay jordan. IMHO the only player na can contest jordan for being the greatest player so far is Bill Russell, wala nang iba.

some Jordan stats:

5 season mvp awards (runner up 3x and 3rd on the running 2x).

6 nba championships.

6 final's mvp.

1987-88 defensive player of the year.

Led the nba in steals for 3 seasons.

10 scoring titles (including the six years the bulls won the finals)

still ranked number 1 in career efficiency rating as of 2008-09 season. (#2 shaq, #3 lebron - wow lebron)

some of these awards wala pa nun time nina russell and robertson.

russel 5 season mvp, 9 nba rings + 2 more as a coach (hanep!!!)

robertson 1 season mvp, 6-time assist leader

chamberlain 4 season mvp (if individual stats, sobrang dami, kaya lang 1 championship lang dahil sa celtics)

something for all Air Jordan fans to fuss over.. got this from the book i mentioned before.. B)

" In an age that worships style and showmanship and confuses celebrity and fame with raw talent or polished performance, it is little wonder that Jordan has been so widely hyped as "the greatest" in the game`s history. But the greatest showman is not automatically the greatest all-around player. And the game`s flashiest or most charismatic star is not simply by fiat it`s most fundamentally talented or richly endowed practitioner."

something for all Air Jordan fans to fuss over.. got this from the book i mentioned before.. B)

" In an age that worships style and showmanship and confuses celebrity and fame with raw talent or polished performance, it is little wonder that Jordan has been so widely hyped as "the greatest" in the game`s history. But the greatest showman is not automatically the greatest all-around player. And the game`s flashiest or most charismatic star is not simply by fiat it`s most fundamentally talented or richly endowed practitioner."

fuss about what?...those kinds of theories are baseless...unaccountable...and very meaningless specially it came from an idiotic author... :rolleyes:

you should always look beyond statistics to judge who the great players are.

i think MJ is the best player of all time because of:

1. He was competetive and will do everything to win. The best performance I've seen so far by any athlete was that game in, i think, game 5 of '97 finals against the Utah Jazz. MJ had a stomach flu and was physically weak. His teammates had to physically carry him to the bench during timeouts. Against all physical odds, he carried his team to victory and actually made that crucial 3 pointer that won them the game. It was just sheer determination to win.

2. He demands excellence. I've seen MJ in Rodman's face or whoever his teammates were that were not trying hard. As he said, he could not accept not trying.

3. He respected the game. He did not do anything that will harm the image of the nba.

4. He made his teammates look better. Remember the pass to Steve Kerr in game 6 of '97 finals. Steve Kerr's basket sealed them the title.

5. He made game winning shots not only in regular season but most importantly in playoffs and finals. He made shots that changed the tempo of the game. That beautiful lay-up in game 2 of '91 finals against the Lakers. That running jumper against Phoenix in '93 finals. That winning jumper on top of the key in game 1 of '97 finals against the Jazz.

6. He is a complete player. Most people forget that MJ is also a good defensive player. At one time he led the nba in scoring and steals (although AI did that also). MJ was named to nba all defensive team I think 7 or 8 times.

i'd like to add he was also defensive player of the year in 1988 i think :thumbsupsmiley:

kaya lang naman laging scoring champion si jordan & won 6 nba

title coz hindi siya natapat sa peak/time nina lebron,kobe, shaq, garnet etc. etc.

during the 90's. masuwerte si michael nung 90's at nataon wala pa yung mga

high caliber players nung time na yun. at nataon na yung existing high caliber

players nung time na yon past their prime na at palaos na. :P

kaya lang naman laging scoring champion si jordan & won 6 nba

title coz hindi siya natapat sa peak/time nina lebron,kobe, shaq, garnet etc. etc.

during the 90's. masuwerte si michael nung 90's at nataon wala pa yung mga

high caliber players nung time na yun. at nataon na yung existing high caliber

players nung time na yon past their prime na at palaos na. :P

2ol na breastfeed kana ba? may gatas kapa ata sa labi...parang binasura mo mga katulad nina Malone, Barkley, Hekeem, Drexler, Ewing, Thomas, Stockton sa sinabi mo...sino pinagmamalaki mo? ang mga players na hindi pwede e-handcheck? c OverHype LeBron? Kung si Wade iahalintulad mo medyu magdadalawang isip pa ako sa sinabi mo...pero si Lebron? Melo? seriously???