Divorce In The Philippines

http://redseaforum.blogspot.com/2004/06/ci...hilippines.html

I am no lawyer nor a lawmaker .... hehe try lang

-----------------------------------------

Much to the Divorce bill ika nga (Just like the Death Penalty) is that most of its mistakes happens at way before ....

1. May time frame ang marriage contract - e.g. 3 years. 5 years

2. May renewal terms and ang default terms ay voidable na - kapag di kayo nagrenew - single na uli

3. Do an extensive and mandatory pre nuptial seminar

3.1 Outline of duties and responsibilities of husband and wife - which will be agreed before being solemnized.

4. Advocate a pre-nuptial agreement that will embody disollution clauses.

4.1 Other agreed clauses

-------------------------------------------

Sa mga ayaw sa proseso na ito, mag LIVE-IN na lang o kaya sa SIMBAHAN na lang magpakasal

NOW to those who got married without the above who wants dissolution. My dear just because a system works well it becomes an express counter. We perhaps want the wheel to be more systematic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Ground rules similar to annulment e.g. homosexuality, acquired diseases, adultery

2. PLUS the following

2.1 Deadlock disagreements minimum of 1 year

dami pa

Ah so, bale ur main beef with our present laws on the dissolution of marriages is the time frame. Ur right, it takes a very long time to go though the entire process, ang mahal pa.

What u want is an Express Counter where u can expedite the whole process and get a new lease on committing the same mistake again.

Well and good. I see ur point and I expect u see mine, too.

Just for the sake of discussion: could u draft ur idea of a divorce bill? What will be its provisions? How will it be different from our subsisting laws that address the same issues?

Should be interesting reading.

So basically, why not just do Contract Marriages??? People can get married for X number of years, renewable upon option of both parties.

Add in clauses for care of children, pets, etc. etc.

Add in penalty clauses for agreed upon issues (no infidelity, etc. etc.)

Is that more or less what you had in mind???

I like it.

I am no lawyer nor a lawmaker .... hehe try lang

-----------------------------------------

Much to the Divorce bill ika nga (Just like the Death Penalty) is that most of its mistakes happens at way before ....

1. May time frame ang marriage contract - e.g. 3 years. 5 years

2. May renewal terms and ang default terms ay voidable na - kapag di kayo nagrenew - single na uli

3. Do an extensive and mandatory pre nuptial seminar

3.1 Outline of duties and responsibilities of husband and wife - which will be agreed before being solemnized.

4. Advocate a pre-nuptial agreement that will embody disollution clauses.

4.1 Other agreed clauses

-------------------------------------------

Sa mga ayaw sa proseso na ito, mag LIVE-IN na lang o kaya sa SIMBAHAN na lang magpakasal

NOW to those who got married without the above who wants dissolution. My dear just because a system works well it becomes an express counter. We perhaps want the wheel to be more systematic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Ground rules similar to annulment e.g. homosexuality, acquired diseases, adultery

2. PLUS the following

2.1 Deadlock disagreements minimum of 1 year

dami pa

hmm... I guess it's nice to see that the "nays" for divorce outnumber the "yeas".

My two cents... if divorce were legalized, there's the question of paying ALIMONY, or child support for all the ex-wives and whatever kids you leave behind... that really complicates things and it's my guess that most people here (particularly the MEN) won't be too hot about paying child support.

Plus, consider that a SHERIFF will be COLLECTING the ALIMONY payments... unless they plan to make it billable to the guy's salary directly, via electronic transfer, lump sum or whatever...

So, maybe another angle for divorce... ladies, gents, would you LIKE to have divorce, knowing that there's a HUGE RISK involved in collecting alimony?

If I do find myself unfortunate enough to have to go through a divorce with OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM, I sure as hell ain't giving my money to no sheriff HERE! This is just a far-off detail, but think of the MONEY involved. Expect a rise in MURDER cases should divorce be made available in the Philippines.

Of course, this is all mere speculation.

oh, and besides, there's a neat little trick you can do... I've heard that you can get an annulment from your estranged spouse for a mere P70,000... and the beauty of it is, they won't even know about it unless they CHECK the court where you file it in, and by then it could be too late... but you won't be STUPID enough to tell them WHERE you filed it, now, would you? hehehe

Yes, please! I've seen a lot of failed marriages in this country that is beyond salvation, and I don't believe  in couples staying together even though the relationship is obviously f**ked up. Unfortunately for us, the Philippines is a predominantly Catholic country, and the chances of getting divorce implemented here can be compared to a snowball's chance in hell. So-called moralists came up with various arguments as to why divorce is evil, they keep on insisting that divorce would ruin the lives of the children and that couples who are joined together by God in the holy bonds of marriage should not be torn apart. Would you still subscribe to this bullshit even though the husband is beating the wife to a pulp every night and spending hard-earned money on gambling, alcohol and other women? (Women have their faults too, just to be fair to the men.) Would you still not contemplate breaking off the union even though the children are getting traumatized to listening to their parents yelling at the top of their lungs for all the neighbors to hear? Children would be better off in a civilized arrangement where the parents are divorced, peacefully, and not biting each other's heads off. Conservatives have to accept that not all relationships can be mended, and that dissolving it is a far better solution.

VERY GOOD!!I AGREE!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There are so many reasons why I am for Divorce being legalized in our country. While I uphold that marriage is a sacred vow and should be kept intact, I also know that there are many instances where that becomes impossible.

In the past years, there was a marked increase in "teen" (and not so teen) marriages due to unplanned pregnancies. Lets face it, these people marry because their parents made them marry. At that point, they can be in no worse state of mind to marry - they are stressed over the pregnancy, unsure of what to do next, their plans have just all been turned over. Yet they are placed in that situation where they have to marry. At some point, it becomes inevitable that these marriages break down. I think these people deserve a second shot at happiness and in their case, the only way they can have the family life and marriage they deserve is through a divorce.

Likewise, I see marriage as a contract (hence the term Marriage Contract on that form). As with any contract, while it is legal and binding because both parties agreed to and signed the said contract, there should also be a "way out" of that contract when the relationship becomes untenable and impossible to maintain. This is not to say that divorce is the first and only solution to marital problems. Divorce should be the last resort. When all else has failed.

In the end though, it all comes down to one thing. The fact that marriage is not an institution to be entered into lightly. I am amazed that the seeming impossibility of getting out of a marriage in our country has not deterred those who are not ready for marriage from getting married. Ideally, marriage is forever. That is a pretty long time if you think about it. It just makes sense then, to be sure that the decision to marry has been given the amount of consideration and thought due it.

In the final analysis, yes I would bat for the legalization of Divorce in the Philippines, but only if the proper implementing guidelines are put in place so that it is not abused. Only if it the Divorce law would still protect that sanctity of marriage and not bring it down to the level of something that becomes disposable.