Divorce In The Philippines

Yes, of course Lomex. :)

Once bitten twice shy, ika nga.

But then again, there are things that you don't have control over.

Like, say, falling in and out of love on a regular basis.

I know it sounds preposterous as some people can't even tell whether or not they've actually fallen in love.  But sometimes it happens that one falls in love and decides (blindly) to tie the knot, be happy for a year or two, wake up one morning only to realize that love has flown out of the window, petition for annulment/separation/divorce, gets it eventually, tries to pick up the pieces and start living like the single man/woman that he or she is (legally), meets someone, falls in love again, and the rest of this wonderful (albeit, painfully predictable) lovestory is well, history. :D

Bottomline, we CAN always try and opt to be careful the next time but there's really no telling what's gonna happen when we're not looking.  Unless we're clairvoyants.  In which case, happy-ever-after endings would be easy-peasy for us.

For that, let me state again FOR the RECORD  :lol:  that I am all for Divorce!

vics,

love fades... ganun talaga... admit it or not, it happens... sana we could be in love with our partners our whole lives pero very seldom nangyayari ito! im sure may mga exceptions pero in general, after 5-10 years of seeing each other day in and day out, you sort of get tired of each other... and then along comes this new person and just because he/she is new, bumabalik ang kilig!! well, napupunta na ko sa pagiging "unfaithful"! hehehe! that is for another thead... :D

divided ako sa issue ng divorce... kasi pag may divorce at madali nang magkahiwalay, magiging cycle na yan! people will get married without thinking kasi madali naman magdivorce if it doesnt work out?! pero on the other hand, when a marriage isnt working out... mahirap... maraming pros and cons ang divorce... :) live in na lang pagusapan natin!! trial muna bago bilhin! taste test kung baga!! see if you can live with the person muna bago magpakasal! when it comes to marriage, mahirap magkamali!

buti na lang may divorce dito! hehehe! at madali lang ang process!! hay salamat!!

ang gulo ng post ko!! sensya na kayo!! :D

:thumbsupsmiley:

Don't you think that divorce may be abused by some people.. (ex. when Dennis Rodman married Carmen Electra to gain publicity and then the following day or week divorce agad).. meaning they will get married then after a while just file a divorce coz may nahanap na naman na iba.. With divorce kasi its easy to get in & out of a marriage.. unlike with annulment and legal separation proceedings..

However, in the Phils., sometimes because annulment and legal separation entails money (lots of it).. poor folks resort to single parent living na lang.. so hiwalay lang but may papers na nagsasaad na kasal kayo.. Unlike sa States, na divorce would make you a free man/woman.. and you could re-marry.. In this scenario, divorce becomes more of a necessity.. don't you think?

So, I guess there are pros and cons of not having divorce in our country.. To put this issue to rest, I think divorce should be availabe in our country.. but dapat siguro may hangganan.. example is that you can only use divorce 2 times.. so that divorce will not be used in womanizing efforts of a man.. or in promiscuity of a woman.. What do you think? :blush:

Guest Inquisitive

Allow me to reiterate my earlier post to this engaging and animated discussion:

I agree that there should be divorce in the Philippines especially to those cases that merit it. Imagine a wife who is always beaten black and blue by his husband every single night not to mention their children who are also battered too. Legal separation will not do since the spouses are only to be separated from bed and board but legally they are still husband and wife. Hence, the wife will have to live her life alone and not get the chance to be happy and start over.

Bka Gawin lng yung ginagawa ni Tom Cruise. Type nyo ba yun mga girls?

Pag ang ginaya ng phils yung Divorce Law ng USA, Ang kawawa yung mga girls.

Pero pag yung divorce law hindi ipapattern sa USA, baka mas ok. Yung may sarili divorce law dapat pinas. Wag puro gaya-gaya sa USA.

There are marriages that are not good for either the man or the woman, for example, cases of adultery or physical abuse. Thus it is better for both if the marriage was dissolved. I know of a few unions that were better off broken...... that's the way life goes. The divorce however should not be taken advantage of, and I still believe in marriages lasting forever. :)

Guest Inquisitive
Ok lng mag-divorce pero hindi pde mag-asawa ulit para hindi ma-abuso if ever magkaroon ng divorce law. Pede lang mag-asawa pag namatay na yung partner nila.

Nasa Bible din ito eh.

Wag gagayahin yung sa states na parang laro lang yung kasal na after mag-divorce may kapalit na agad.

I don't agree with the aforementioned post. And my reply concurs with the reasoning of the following message.

so what you mean is not really divorce, but legal separation?

it is not divorce.

and in my opinion, i hate it when the bible is used as a basis for the law. there are many religions. why base it on the bible alone?

and speaking of the bible, it was written there that divorce was allowed. especially in the old testament.

Moreover, a law which allows absolute divorce but disallows the parties to marry is oppressive and most of all ridiculous. It is oppressive because it hinders the right of a person to exercise his freedom to do what he wants and that includes to get married again after having a divorce. It is riduculous because in effect there won't be any complete severance of the marital bond between the parties.

To use the Bible in order to justify a law is erroneous. The Non Establishment Clause of the Constitution is clear on this matter. Said provision provides that "No law shall be made respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof (Article III, Section 5, 1987 Constitution)."

Guest Inquisitive

Pero pag yung divorce law hindi ipapattern sa USA, baka mas ok. Yung may sarili divorce law dapat pinas. Wag puro gaya-gaya sa USA.

I agree that the Philippines should not use any foreign law as a mental crutch in crafting its own laws. However, I can't help but wonder what Divorce Law are you talking about?[/I] With due respect, I hope you realize that each state in the United States has its own Divorce Law. Hence, arguing with the use of sweeping, hasty and non sequitur statements (referring to your paragraphs 2 and 3) makes your point a bit hazy.

Guest Inquisitive

I agree that the Philippines should not use any foreign law as a mental crutch in crafting its own laws. However, I can't help but wonder what Divorce Law are you talking about? With due respect, I hope you realize that each state in the United States has its own Divorce Law. Hence, arguing with the use of sweeping, hasty and non sequitur statements (referring to your paragraphs 2 and 3) makes your point a bit hazy and unresponsive to the issue at hand.

To paraphrase what John F. Kennedy used to say: "Let us first agree on the essential, before we disagree on the peripherals."

To use the Bible in order to justify a law is erroneous.  The Non Establishment Clause of the Constitution is clear on this matter. Said provision provides that "No law shall be made respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof (Article III, Section 5, 1987 Constitution)."

Point ko lng naman sa Bible ksi karamihan ng mga laws natin Bible based.

I agree that the Philippines should not use any foreign law as a mental crutch in crafting its own laws. However, I can't help but wonder what Divorce Law are you talking about?[/I] With due respect, I hope you realize that each state in the United States has its own Divorce Law. Hence, arguing with the use of sweeping, hasty and non sequitur statements (referring to your paragraphs 2 and 3) makes your point a bit hazy.

Yung sinasabi ko lng kung ano yung majority ng divorce na nakikita natin sa situation sa USA. ksi ang pinas mahilig gumaya sa America.

Example: Right After Mag Divorce Wag naman sana within a year Papakasal agad.

Dun sa sinabi ko about divorce kung magkakaroon dito sa pinas nasa government natin yan kung ano magiging basis nila.

Pero as for me ang pde lang magdivorce: Mga Nabubugbug ng Asawa, Mga Shotgun Marriage, Infedelity.

If ever may asawa ako tpos magdivorce kami baka hindi na ako mag-asawa ulit. Sa akin ganyan.

Tingin ko ksi Sa Marriage Sacred eh. Hindi ko tingin jan paulit-ulit. Pero sa akin ganyan.

So tingin ko sa Marriage ay Sacred so bago ako mag-aasawa magiisip ako ng Sobrang dami beses

Masarap kasi Single eh :D

PEro para Hindi nyo na maisip yung divorce at yung hassle ng situation, Especially sa mga babae, Kung pipili kayo ng lalake magisip kayo ilan beses. Minsan madali bolahin mga babae.

Edited by edc

Though I may not like divorce, the reality is that not all marriages work for a variety of reasons. Not all marriages can be saved by the parties involved. Thus, let us respect them and give them the right to dissolve a failed marriage so that they can, hopefully, better their respective lives by finding the "right" partners. Even if there's children involved, I think it would be better if the children do not get trapped in their parents' failed marriage by living in an unhappy household.

if it did not workout (say you've been trying to work on it for years) and you're affecting other people (like your children), it's only logical to part ways.

I didn't know the difference between annulment and divorce before but now, medyo meron na rin akong konting pagkakaintindi. Annulment its like marriage never happened while with divorce, you are the ex-husbond/wife (nakatatak na sa inyo). Mas parang OK sa kin annulment.

OK din sa kin ang divorce pero before sana nila i-approve yun, mas maging strong yung foundation ng mga kasal dito. Lately, people in their early 30's has been seeking divorce/annulment. not only here in the philippines but in other countries as well. i guess we have this tendency to look forward to the wedding more and spend so much effort on it rather than prepare for the marriage and the years that you'll be spending together.

Now this is something that you cannot impose on anyone, let alone a divorcee. :)

People petition for the dissolution of marriage for a lot of reasons, and unless the case is highly publicized, said reasons are pretty much private and are often discussed only by the parties involved. But one thing's for certain, married couples who petition for divorce do so because they want to pursue invidual happiness - or they may have already found someone (or something) that causes their endorphin-producing glands to go into overdrive.

And if the reason happens to be a "someone (else)", who's going to stop the "involved" party to make an honest man or woman out of the other person, especially after the previous marital ties have been severed legally?

To kibitzers, especially those who refuse to keep an open mind about situations that defy age-old norms, marrying more than once in this lifetime could mean making a mockery out of the sacrament of marriage.  Maybe.  Maybe not.  But then again, who are we to judge these people?  So they got married once, twice, thrice, maybe even four or five times?  What is it to us?

Why don't we, instead of going all didactic and biblical about it, think just for one second and maybe if it's not too much of a stretch, try and put ourselves in the shoes of these people who seem to be in a perpetual pursuit of happiness and have gone through so many partners in the process.  Maybe then we'll see that underneath the seemingly disintegrating morals and utter disregard for the sanctity of the institution of marriage are REAL PEOPLE who are great believers of true love and are willing to go through so many hurdles (and divorces) just to have a taste and feel of it.

And even if the reasons for the infinite cycle of marriage-divorce-marriage-divorce-marriage are not as honorable or romantic as love, still, we are not in any authority to pass on bigoted judgments.  People marry primarily to be happy.  Some of them file for divorce in order to dissociate themselves from things/situations that have ceased to bring them happiness.  At some point they remarry because they find themselves happy again. 

Such, my dear, is life.

So why marry? Why not just declare yourselves as life partners first, live together (trial basis), and if compatible, THEN get married? Funny, I'm the irreligious bastard, yet I still believe in the sacredness of matrimony.

Hey, instead of divorce, why not allow multiple partners in marriage. I've always wanted a son that has seven fathers and mothers. B)

divorce should be the last resort . only after the couple has gone through all the options availabe such as counselling, trial separation for 1 year, or attending marriage retreas,etc..if trying all these and they still find that living together is not workable..then divorce can be the solution. its proven that staying in a bad,unhappy marriage is bad for your wholebeing.

divorce should be the last resort . only after the couple has gone through all the options availabe such as counselling, trial separation for 1 year, or attending marriage retreas,etc..if trying all these and they still find that living together is not workable..then divorce can be the solution. its proven that staying in a bad,unhappy marriage is bad for your wholebeing.

i agree, its goint to be harder to stay married to the same person you have mixed feelings with. tipong "war of the roses" ang dating nyan :hypocritesmiley:

• 2 months later...

Agree, why live together kung makikita lang naman ng mga anak nio na palaging nag-aaway ang family.. mas magsuffer lang cla ng ganun.. better settle it nalang and let them choose rather than letting them see you everyday arguing.. but shempre kung pwede pa naman maayos at maremedyuhan like lay low ng konti.. mas ok yun dahil sabi nga nila mas maganda pa din kung "BUO ang Pamilya"

At the present time, I am happy with the legal separation idea. It gives you time and your partner to analyze your relationship and the reason for the separation. Sa divorce, if you just want to divorce you do it so as long as you both agree. Yes, there may be legal grounds for divorce but the separation is much faster that the legal separation thing. No more time to analyze your true feelings. Also with divorce, the effect on our moral fiber as a people would seriously deteriorate. Let us make it hard for two people to separate so they twice before they get married on the first place. The children protected din.

We already have legal separation and annulment. What's the market for divorce?

[/quot

What's the purpose of legal separation when you can't dissolve your marriage? As far as annulment, I think it's a farce. Kalokohan lang dahil meron mga nagpapa-annul after 3 or more kids...

Girls nga talo sa annulment. Kasi if the marriage was invalid in the first place, then the guy doesn't need to support the girl. Unlike sa divorce, you still have alimony.

Kung ayaw nyo, better for guys. Kaya nga di ito magkakaroon dahil mas konti ang susuportahan sa annulment eh (kids lang) compared to divorce.

well.. my point is not in the alimony issue or support... i am referring to a review of a relationship prior to final separation...

with regards to the alimony or child support... i would support expansion in the legal structure of annulment and legal separation to get a more fair distribution of responsibilities for all sexes... the children should not be made to suffer...