Divorce In The Philippines

i know this may sound stupid to some.. but what's the diff between divorce and annulment anyway?

Up front, divorce tells you your marriage sucked and it failed big time. Annulment says you never really had a marriage in the first place since someone (there has to be someone whom you can point a finger to) lied and was really incapacitated from entering into this binding contract. Hence, to annul what is null ab initio.

What it really does is break up a bond. Both are just quick ways of saying "i quit and it's legal you stupid ass!".

Annulment for me is just a way around the conservatism of catholics. hell, you cannot call it a divorce! go refer to someone as psychotic before you both met and BAM! you have an annulment. or you can pay someone to annul the marriage for you for a fee (back read pls).

Give bad marriages a break, you cannot guarantee a perfect and fool-proof union. Children? face it, collateral damage. Be a good parent if you cannot be a good husband/wife. Do not be a hypocrite. Remember, if you live a life in denial, you will suffer. On judgment day, nobody will do the lawyering for you. Best you live your life to the fullest, take care of your obligations and be a happy person. A miserable person in an equally miserable marriage will inflict harm on a lot more people. end it when you still can. You will do the nation a favor. :goatee:

Hell Yeah .... YES TO DIVORCE

Give bad marriages a break, you cannot guarantee a perfect and fool-proof union. Children? face it, collateral damage. Be a good parent if you cannot be a good husband/wife. Do not be a hypocrite. Remember, if you live a life in denial, you will suffer. On judgment day, nobody will do the lawyering for you. Best you live your life to the fullest, take care of your obligations and be a happy person. A miserable person in an equally miserable marriage will inflict harm on a lot more people. end it when you still can. You will do the nation a favor. :goatee:

Take this

Parents fighting at any given chance they can ... may it be money, property, jobs, jealousy, values, decisions, others .....

Take a look on how children console each other during such times .....

.. get the picture

ewan ko ba kung bakit lumilitaw yung angle na kawawa ang mga bata ek ek kapag divorce na ang usapan. yung mga bata lang ba ang dapat pag-usapan? papaano naman yung asawa na nagdurusa? :rolleyes:

about time we have divorce. couples who cant stand each other should be given the chance to opt out of the contract. this will also give them the chance to sort out/divide properly their properties and most specially sort out the issues regarding the kids.

tricky and messy but better than letting things hanging in the air with one party holding the kids in an unpaid rented house and no money.

Up front, divorce tells you your marriage sucked and it failed big time. Annulment says you never really had a marriage in the first place since someone (there has to be someone whom you can point a finger to) lied and was really incapacitated from entering into this binding contract. Hence, to annul what is null ab initio.

What it really does is break up a bond. Both are just quick ways of saying "i quit and it's legal you stupid ass!".

Annulment for me is just a way around the conservatism of catholics. hell, you cannot call it a divorce! go refer to someone as psychotic before you both met and BAM! you have an annulment. or you can pay someone to annul the marriage for you for a fee (back read pls).

Thanks for this :) Very well explained! :thumbsupsmiley:

Agree ako sa sinabi mo bro. di lahat ng marriage ay nagiging sucessful. Mas kawawa ang babae kung BATTERED WIFE for how many years pati na rin ang mga anak nito, imagine children growing up sa ganitong environment di ba its a BIG TORTURE on their part. Mas mabuti pa mag LET GO kesa naman tanggapin pa ng wife ang karumal dumal na panghahalimaw ng husband. There are cases that nag let go na si wife but the husband siempre na realise nya na ang mga kamalian nya ayun habol ng habol sa wifey kahit na years past by na sa kanila at nakapag move on na si wifey and she has another life and a family, stil this bastard husband ay KSP kulang sa pansin at lahat ng traces ni wifey inaalam. KAWAWA naman cguro si wfey na lang ang bukod tanging nagkagusto sa kanya kaya ganun na lang ang habol kay wifey. How PATHETIC!!!!!

Agree of course kung may divorce.

I AGREE... KC DI LAHAT NG MARRIAGE IS SUCCESSFULL. OFTEN TIMES WE CHOOSE TO STAY AND SUFFER TO KEEP RELATIONSHIP STRONGER BUT SOMETIMES WE FORGET THAT IT'S LETTING GO MAKES YOU A BETTER PERSON. LALO NA SA MGA BATTERED WIFE. :thumbsupsmiley:
Edited by strawberryshortcake

^ actually, it isn't also an issue of religion. having a divorce law in the Philippines is a sign that we as a country and as a society are maturing- we are willing to embrace new concepts and start to break the bond from the idiotic, moronic and hypocritical religious charlatans the same way Europe slapped the face of the Roman Catholic Church, the dominant entity during the Dark Ages, through the Renaissance and the Reformation.

• 3 weeks later...

i am not for divorce...

believing that it only creates an easier way out for married couples...

i'd rather the government come up with laws and systems to strengthen marriage and protect married couples and their children... rather than enabling people to change their minds and stop working on the marriage...

• 1 month later...

Definitely. Marriage is an act bound by a certificate indicating that you made a pact with God to stay together. Love fuels the Marriage. If there is no love then, the marriage would simply be nominal. I'm positive God will be understandable if the relationship just couldn't be repaired. He is forgiving and perhaps he knows that such a move will be for the greater good.

Sabi nga sa kanta...Learning to love yourself is the greatest love of all....sabi din sa bible...Love your neighbour (spouse) AS you love yourself NOT more than yourself. If you continue to live in an atmosphere wherein you couldn't make yourself happy, there is no way on earth you could make your partner happy in the process and vice-versa. You are not born unto this world to suffer for the rest of your life....that's like being condemned to hell. Same thing with your spouse. When this happens, it is best that you part ways and move on with your lives hoping to find happiness in yourselves or with someone else. I don't know about you pero i've observed a lot of men/women who decide to move in with the 3rd party had happy lives with their mistresses or those who chose to remain as single parents as opposed to those who chose to remain with their spouses despite a rocky and turbulent relationship. Point here is Happiness. Without happiness, you can never be alive.

As to the kids, they will always be the casualties of divorce. It is the responsibility of the parents to make sure that they grow up in an environment of love and affection despite the situation. It doesn't necessarily follow that a broken marriage results in a broken relationship between parents and children. Just because the parents couldn't stay together in one roof doesn't mean the offsprings couldn't and shouldn't be afforded the love that they deserve.

Edited by Waterbearer

Marriage should be a five (5) year contract renewable at the option of both parties. To make things simple, property regime to govern the relationship would be complete separation of assets and liabilities. Any kids resulting from the marriage shall be wards of the State and each party to the marriage contract has to assign fifty percent (50%) of all their assets to a trust fund to be managed by the State for their kids.

In order words: instead of having a nasty and possibly messy divorce, lets just have a contract with a definite term as regards marriage. That way, if both parties are happy with each other, they can always renew and renew. If one of the parties want out, then all she/he has to do is wait for the term to end and instant freedom.

divorce for me simply becomes an escape from responsibilites and promises made between people and God. vows which were freely taken and kept sacred must remain sacred. i would rather go through the lengthy process of annullment if only to know as a person i had done everything in my power in accordance to my vows of marriage with my partner and with God and that none of that which i laboured for, though invalidated, was never in vain nor mediocre. i understand however the difficult position divorce is in that it removes a lot of complications with regards to difficulties with relationships and being liberated from its seemingly exhaustive bonds. but convenience only cheapens or conviction for having entered into marriage, liberation merely masks our cowardice to face the responsibilities we have given to one another, the commitment that is meant to make love strong is merely set aside and viewed as burden. i strongly appeal to the proponents of divorce, to first look into the meaning of what it is to be married, that instead of endorsing divorce as an excuse, we could simply give the institution of marriage that respect and value it was always meant to signify have people realize it is not simply a ceremony, a reception, and a honeymoon.

Edited by poppinfresh2k5

You are precisely correct .....

Ambiguity is something life itself endowed to us ..... only death is certain

We all make choices

a contract with an exit clause cannot even be considered a contract as it is never meant to signify anything of value nor morally bound in good faith. why go through the charade of a contract when the exit clause provides legal ambiguity.

Trivia :

I pay my Broadband Internet bill religiously as I gladly enjoy the service (as my contract with them stated), until one day the service sucked big time and ingered, lingered ....

... Tech Sup, Management, bullcrap excuses were provides instead of rectifying the trouble .....

Edited by lomex32

In the Book of Malachi, God says, "I hate divorce". And yet, divorce is rampant even among Catholic and Christian couples. Divorce is a reality, sad to say. Divorce may not be allowed here but annulment is. Pinapahirapan lang nila mga Filipino couples by resorting to annulment since walang divorce dito. e kung sa talagang di na pwede magsama yung mag asawa, that's a reality the Catholic Church can't accept. sometimes i think they are callous and blind to the realities of life. pati birth control. but that's another topic...

I hope there would be a courageous lawmaker to file and pass a divorce bill to end the frustations/hardships of failed married couples.

kung di kayang magpakasal, wag magpakasal. kung tatahaking magpakasal, then by all means follow it to the letter of its essence. do not compromise the meaning of marriage simply because hindi na makayanan. yan ang di maintindihan ng proponents of divorce. thats why marriage, or at least the concept of marriage is losing its value. basta basta lang nagpapakasal. kung ganun lang napakadami nating pwedeng baguhin sa batas. tara magpatayan na lang tayo. total if i can bend circumstances and evidence to suit my needs na self defense ba sure, game. the world we live in now is overly liberal. where have the morals gone? we say these are the realities? no its not, in a way yan ang realities ng tamad. simply, a marriage is an unbreakable bond between man and woman under God where every possible hardship and trial has already been defined like a contract with the vows of marriage. wag naman sana bastusin ang meaning nito. as liberal a person as i am, i would want to find something decent in this world to believe in if not for myself, for other people and my kids. kung basta basta na lang ang mundo nagpapalit just for convenience, what the hell are we living with morality for? ba't pa tayo nagpapakabait.