• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
thanks for the reply,

i understand that all investemnet involved risk, between Mutual funds and UITF which among the two is more conservative when it comes with risk?

im looking for a long term investment (10 -15 years) lets say 150K pesos, am i better with UITF or Mutual funds?

Cheers,

i think the difference between mutual funds and uitf is the intitution thats managing the funds..

mutual funds are a good place to start with... since you can place to as small as 5k.. and you can monitor daily performance through icap.com.ph. but if your into mutual funds usually your into long term, and when your into long term... make sure you know your risk appetite.. :D

matagal na akong napupunta sa bangko....at nagta-time deposit din paminsan-minsan.

Pero sa mga katalogo nila, wala akong nakikitang "avail of our MUTUAL FUND"....kaya ako na isang mahiyaing ngongo, di na nagtatanong doon.

So dito ko na lang itatanong.....ano ba talaga physically yang MUTUAL FUND na iyan? Paano ko ito ma-aavail? At ang daming nagpapayo dito tungkol sa mga Pro and Con nito, e hindi ko maintindihan paano malalaman ang mga impormasyong iyun (i.e. where the bank puts the money, how is their performance etc).

Isang hanes to godness kwestion lang po.

^banks do not offer mutual funds but they usually have UITF (Unit Investment Trust Fund). If you'd like to know more about mutual funds you can go to insurance/investment companies like Sunlife or Philam. UITF and Mutual Funds are alike in a way that Fund Managers (this is the term they use in MF..i forgot if they call it the same for UITF) pool money from investors and invest them in equities/stocks or govt bonds.

^ ingat ka lang pagpunta mo sa investment companies kasi baka ma convince ka nila agad maglagay ng pera. not that pangit product nila or malulugi ka, its just you being able to make the proper decision with your own free will and without pressure (redundant na ata)

^^ anyway simple concept ng mutual fund, kung mag invest kasi ito ang problema:

1. common tao is not knowledgable how to invest in stocks, etc and how to paly the money to make it earn

2. common tao do not have much money for minimun investment (bonds for example requires 100K and tbills 10K and to buy PLDT stock you need at least 32K - last time i check)

3. you are not sure if they guy you entrust your money is reliable.

mutual fund solve these problems by:

1. a competent fund manager will handle the money. they know how to invest in stocks, bonds etc and they do research about market conditions

2. many of people will contribute/pool their money

3. mutual funds are heavily regulated by SEC. meaning there are guidelines where a fund manager can put the money so that it will be 'safe'. for example a fund manager cannot put the money in extremely speculative stock

hope that helps

i think the difference between mutual funds and uitf is the intitution thats managing the funds..

mutual funds are a good place to start with... since you can place to as small as 5k.. and you can monitor daily performance through icap.com.ph. but if your into mutual funds usually your into long term, and when your into long term... make sure you know your risk appetite.. :D

These are the differences between UITFs and Mutual Funds:

1. Prerequisites to issuance of authority to sell.

Mutual Fund - Registration under Investment Company Act (ICA) of 1960; Registration of shares to be sold to the public as required by the Revised Securities Act; Filing of a Registration Statement & Prospectus of the Fund.

UITF - Only institutions authorized to engage in trust business are allowed to operate a UITF; UITF operate under a written Declaration of Trust approved by the board of directors of the trustee and a copy submitted to BSP.

2. Supervisory/ Regulatory Agency.

Mutual Fund - Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)

UITF - Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP)

3. Participants in the Fund.

Mutual Fund - Stockholder with rights and obligations as provided in the Corporation Code

UITF - Trustor whose rights and obligations are defined in the Trust Agreement.

4. Documents Issued.

Mutual Fund - Depository Receipt for Payments/ Stock Certificates.

UITF - Written Trust Agreements / Certificate of Participation

5. Handling of Operations/ Management of the Funds.

Mutual Fund - Independent Fund Manager as required by SEC.

UITF - Trust Department of banks and other authorized Non-Bank Financial Institutions.

6. Purchase Price

Mutual Fund - Based on Net Asset Value Per Share (NAVPS) at time of subscription.

UITF - Determined by a formal method of participation valuation established in the DOT of the UITF.

7. Withdrawability.

Mutual Fund - Shares in the mutual fund are redeemable anytime; Although redemption is available at anytime, the mutual fund has up to 7 banking days to make payment on redemptions.

UITF - Terms of withdrawal provided in the trust agreement. Banks may pay within 1, 2 up to 7 days or more after notice of redemption.

8. Fees.

Mutual Fund - management fee ranging from 0.5% to 2% p.a; Sales charge ranging from 0 to 5%

UITF - Trust Fees – 0.5% to 1.5% plus Other Expenses

• Like (+1) 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Guys if you would just know how ForEx trading is done and the potential income from it.

you will realize that it is much better than stock trading and buying mutual funds.

Although forex is the largest financial market in the world, it is relatively unfamiliar terrain to retail traders and investors.

Until the popularization of internet trading a few years ago, FX was primarily the domain of large financial institutions,

multinational corporations and secretive hedge funds. But times have changed, and individual investors are hungry for information on this fascinating market.

For questions and queries about online ForEx trading just pm me or contact me at 09** *** ****

Public posting of contact numbers on the board is not allowed. Please refer to the Posting Primer for your guidance. Thank you. - DarkAngel

Sincerely

Victor Garcia

Performance Foreign Exchange Corporation (eforex-asia.com)

The Enterprise Center, Tower 2, Mezzanine

6766 Ayala Ave., cor. Paseo de Roxas, Makati City

Edited by DarkAngel
Guest lustfortravel
Meron na ba magandang phisix index fund ?

Right now I only know 2 offering Phisix index fund

and IUTF at BPI and Philequity index fund :)

my take on this - the equity funds where the portfolio managers are the ones who decide on the mix would most probably do better since their goal is normally to beat the index. you must remember that funds that track the index only mirror exactly the ratio invested in the companies that comprise the phisix. it's a no-brainer. the equity funds that perform best are the ones with the fund managers who are able to show their wisdom and experience in choosing the mix of stocks to invest in, to be able to maximize returns.

Edited by lustfortravel
my take on this - the equity funds where the portfolio managers are the ones who decide on the mix would most probably do better since their goal is normally to beat the index. you must remember that funds that track the index only mirror exactly the ratio invested in the companies that comprise the phisix. it's a no-brainer. the equity funds that perform best are the ones with the fund managers who are able to show their wisdom and experience in choosing the mix of stocks to invest in, to be able to maximize returns.

maganda kasi pag index dapat mura ang management fee kasi pwede di na mag trade abangan na lang ang health ng market , mababawasan ng malaki yung management fee, atsaka based sa mga data di naman malayo yung perf ng index fund compared sa karamihan ng mutual funds. No brainer talaga kasi kung gagamitin mo brain mo di mo talaga malalaman ang mangyayari bukas hehehe diyos lang ang nakaka alam kung ano mangyayari bukas kaya yung mga fund manager na magagaling na sinasabi ninyo wala yan . No choice lang talaga kaya kailan ko mag invest sa mutual fund kasi yan ang uso ngayon hahaha. Fund manager cmon , dapat nga pag nagkamali sila dapat bayad din sila para masaya.

pansin ko lang maliit ang pse kaya karamihan ng stocks na hawak ng fund manager ay phisix .

Guest lustfortravel
maganda kasi pag index dapat mura ang management fee kasi pwede di na mag trade abangan na lang ang health ng market , mababawasan ng malaki yung management fee, atsaka based sa mga data di naman malayo yung perf ng index fund compared sa karamihan ng mutual funds. No brainer talaga kasi kung gagamitin mo brain mo di mo talaga malalaman ang mangyayari bukas hehehe diyos lang ang nakaka alam kung ano mangyayari bukas kaya yung mga fund manager na magagaling na sinasabi ninyo wala yan . No choice lang talaga kaya kailan ko mag invest sa mutual fund kasi yan ang uso ngayon hahaha. Fund manager cmon , dapat nga pag nagkamali sila dapat bayad din sila para masaya.

pansin ko lang maliit ang pse kaya karamihan ng stocks na hawak ng fund manager ay phisix .

you don't have to invest in mutual funds kasi "uso" sya. you have to fully understand the product before you can invest in it.

just my two cents as an investor . i think dr. pepper would be the expert on this subject. would you care to comment, sir?

Edited by lustfortravel

1997 ako nagsimula mag invest sa mutual fund , 4 months bago yung asian financial crisis . Palagay ko di pa uso ang mutual fund sa pinas nung panahon na yun, pero dapat in tayo sa financial hehehe kaya dapat tayo mag invest , jan ka matututo . mapapansin mo puro whats up ang nasa isip mo hehehe

you don't have to invest in mutual funds kasi "uso" sya. you have to fully understand the product before you can invest in it.

just my two cents as an investor . i think dr. pepper would be the expert on this subject. would you care to comment, sir?

I am hardly an expert sir but there is a wide array of Mutual Funds and UITFs out there, In an environment where fixed income rates are very low, there may be potential gains for short term trading of bonds and stocks, which is essentially what a good fund manager is supposed to do. So if you consider that an index fund simply mirrors the performance of an index, then you will never get better returns that what the general market does. So in my view, get a fund where the fund manager is more or less active in taking trading positions. The potential for better returns are there, of course together with the attendant risks.

how will the recent crash of the stock market affect mutual funds or UITF?thanks.

may binili ako mf ang navs niya 1.03 after 2 months ,nung nag asian crisis ng 1997, naging 0.6 na lang ang navs. Yung nangyayari ngayon wala pa yan, wala pa nga nag su suicide hehehe.

how will the recent crash of the stock market affect mutual funds or UITF?thanks.

probably i can relate on this in terms of mixed equity - conservative bond market.

i got one from BDO pero minimal investment lang. diversed kasi ang investment ko.

last december 12, the nav is 2,477.31/unit.

ngayon 2,101.16 na lang per unit. somehow, it peaked last december 27, 2007 with a value of 2,511.23/unit but since January 8, 2008, it started to slide down. this is the effect of the stock market crash related to the US economy.

but for conservative funds which are invested in philippine government securities, although minimal ang increase, hindi na fluctuating.

from december 11, 2007, i got it from BDO at 1,193.97 per unit. now its around 1,201.00 per unit.

probably i can relate on this in terms of mixed equity - conservative bond market.

i got one from BDO pero minimal investment lang. diversed kasi ang investment ko.

ngayon 2,101.16 na lang per unit. somehow, it peaked last december 27, 2007 with a value of 2,511.23/unit but since January 8, 2008, it started to slide down. this is the effect of the stock market crash related to the US economy.

but for conservative funds which are invested in philippine government securities, although minimal ang increase, hindi na fluctuating.

from december 11, 2007, i got it from BDO at 1,193.97 per unit. now its around 1,201.00 per unit.

Of course higher risk brings higher return and also higher loss. Lesser risk like bond brings lesser return and lesser loss.

But now the world economy is in topsy turvy state. So trade with caution.

sorry for late reply, thanks for the details. So i choose this time to come here again, because after what happen last week, i think the stock market is heading south, and it would not go down alone, properties, other investment will follow, so conservative or aggressive trust funds, i think will go down together, the differences are which trust funds will go further south. Better keep cash on hand right now guys.

sorry for late reply, thanks for the details. So i choose this time to come here again, because after what happen last week, i think the stock market is heading south, and it would not go down alone, properties, other investment will follow, so conservative or aggressive trust funds, i think will go down together, the differences are which trust funds will go further south. Better keep cash on hand right now guys.

Keeping everything in cash will still be a losing proposition. If you are unsure of how the market will go, go short term from 15 to 30 days. Incidentally, the BSP will slash overnight rates again, the question is whether it will be 25 or 50 basis points.