Very useful info here....

I lost a lot of money hanging on to foreign currencies for the last year or so. Euro has dropped from a highest P76 late December 2004 to P60+ something today. If you think in scale of tens of thousands of euros then that's a lot just for the currency rate drop. USD hasnt been going up either. So now I'm thinking of just converting all these to Peso and invest them in UITF or other better performing investments. Would you guys agree with this? If yes, can you point me to which bank currently has a better deal on this? I have already talked to Equitable PCI and the figures I got are 10-11% interest per annum based on last year's performance. The manager also told me that it is very rare that this goes lower than 9% so it seems ok with me. Do you have better suggestions?

============

Most UITF funds will not pay dividends. All profits (net of management fees) are invested back into the fund. For example: You invest P100,000 composed of 1,000 units of P100/unit on day 1. The P100/unit will increase daily such that it may be worth P105/unit on day 10. On day 10, your investment is now worth P105,000. You can withdraw the P5,000 if you want by withdrawing the equivalent number of UITF units.

Unit Investment Trust Funds (UITF) are just like the old common trust funds. It is open ended, which means you go in or out as you please. If you are talking about dividend declaration, thesre is NONE as the nature of UITF is not like a stock wherein dividends are declared by the Board of Dirctors. The behavior of a unit of holding in a UITF is much like a share of stock wherein its market value changes everyday. So the earnings of a unitholder in a UITF will come from the rise in the market value of the unit, aside from the income of the assets of the fund itself. Both of these are used in computing the net asset value per unit (NAVPU) everyday and it is up to the unitholder to realize his profit by redeeming his units or just letting the fund manager try to increase the NAVPU as time goes by. So to be short about it, no dividends are declared for UITF by its very nature.

Very useful info here....

I lost a lot of money hanging on to foreign currencies for the last year or so. Euro has dropped from a highest P76 late December 2004 to P60+ something today. If you think in scale of tens of thousands of euros then that's a lot just for the currency rate drop. USD hasnt been going up either. So now I'm thinking of just converting all these to Peso and invest them in UITF or other better performing investments. Would you guys agree with this? If yes, can you point me to which bank currently has a better deal on this? I have already talked to Equitable PCI and the figures I got are 10-11% interest per annum based on last year's performance. The manager also told me that it is very rare that this goes lower than 9% so it seems ok with me. Do you have better suggestions?

If you are in US$ just keep it as is and invest in a US Dollar UITF. Almost all the big banks have them and most of their assets are in ROPs and Dollar Time Deposits. Look at their historicals, they have been performing very well as they have been managing their ROPs very well. If you convert to Phil Pesos now you may lose on the conversion factor, particularly if you had bought it when the Phil Peso was doing poorly against the Dollar.

=========

I've additional info. If you really want dividents, you can purchase (when available) Retail Treasury Bonds issued by the phil. gov't. Interest from the RTBs are deposited into your settlement savings account every quarter ata.

Technically speaking RTBs do not pay dividends, they pay interest, or coupon payments, just like any other fixed income instrument. Only stocks pay dividends, which are at the whim of the Board of Directors as to when and if they are declared, unless they are preferred stocks, which behave like fixed income instruments. Usually RTBs are cornered by institutional investors so you may still have to go through a bank or a financial institution to be able to get RTBs.

what bank in Singapore fo you have in  mind? How much the minimum to open an account? you can actually invest here, we also have global funds offered by banks and investment companies..

really? any local bank that offers clients access to: DBS, ABN AMRO, ABERDEEN, FIDELITY, SCROEDER funds?

i just opened an account at DBS... min initial amt to invest in most funds is SGD1,000 i think.

• 2 weeks later...

Suggest you guys go to the big banks branches (Metrobank, BPI, EPCIBank, Banco de Oro) and ask about their UITF. Banks have better distribution centers (the branches) and see to it that customer service is maintained plus will often have complete data. Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas is stricter that the Securities and Exchange Commission which is the regulatory body for Mutual Funds.

• 2 weeks later...
Tanong ko lang, sino ang currently with Philequity funds?  Mukhang ok ang returns, pero kamusta naman customer service, sales load, etc....Hope someone here can provide answers :)

pre, i'm into phileq..

got to open last 2 mos with them

they have a mktg arm right now -- EBIZ << nasa western union braches.

mas maganda yng meron in-house manager .. mas maganda yng services.

at makapag tanong k ng mga questions mo.

but if your near PSE just go there nandon yng Phileq.

pre, i'm into phileq.. 

got to open last 2 mos with them

they have a mktg arm right now  -- EBIZ << nasa western union braches.

mas maganda yng meron in-house manager .. mas maganda yng services.

at makapag tanong k ng mga questions mo. 

but if your near PSE just go there nandon yng Phileq.

Salamat ng marami bahaykubo...:)

• 1 month later...

i'm beginning to invest to this kind business, however, i still lack the knowledge and hindi ko pa siya masyadong maintindihan. siyempre i don't want to invest something na di ko maintindihan.

sir financial advisor, meron ba kayong ginagawang seminars for this kind of investment. maraming ring newbie na katulad ko ang interesado sa ganito kaya lang marami pa ring question. kung meron man where and when para maayos ko ang sched ko.