if you like mutual funds you should divide your money between a group of funds, use investment averaging, and not worry about what others think of your investments. There is no such thing as a mutual fund expert. Just a lot of people who are doing what you are.

I balance my money between six funds, I do not look at short term performance because mutual funds are medium to long term instruments.

B)

if you like mutual funds you should divide your money between a group of funds, use investment averaging, and not worry about what others think of your investments. There is no such thing as a mutual fund expert. Just a lot of people who are doing what you are.

I balance my money between six funds, I do not look at short term performance because mutual funds are medium to long term instruments.

B)

There is also such things as losing money in mutual funds. Even some mutual funds have to

close shop. So I think it is better to know whether the fund managers in the fund you invested

in is reliable. For me of course I want to multiply my money fast and i look at short term returns too.

you want to multiply your money fast you shouldn't have invested in mutual funds. two years pa bago mo makukuha yun... unless you are willing to pay the holding fee... or you define two years as quick or short term

There is also such things as losing money in mutual funds.  Even some mutual funds have to

close shop.  So I think it is better to know whether the fund managers in the fund you invested

in is reliable.  For me of course I want to multiply my money fast and i look at short term returns too.

you interpret diversification ba as putting money in several mutual funds? kasi i interpret diversification as different financial instruments and choose (hopefully) the best among them. for example i have mutual funds too but i choose only the best performers lang. then for diversification, i also have dollar account - i hope i choose a bank that gives higest interest to my dollars, stocks - i hope i bought the best performing stocks, savings deposit - pare pareho interest ng mga banko, time deposit - the same as savings, etc.

anyway just exchanging ideas...

B)

Mutual Funds are just one of many tools I use. I also have short term bonds, stocks, and long term land is always a good investment. As to mutual funds closing up I have never experienced it, also I only invest with funds that are governmet insured.

My balance is such that I have already retired from work and I am living off my investment income comfortable and I am 48. B)

you interpret diversification ba as putting money in several mutual funds? kasi i interpret diversification as different financial instruments and choose (hopefully) the best among them. for example i have mutual funds too but i choose only the best performers lang. then for diversification, i also have dollar account - i hope i choose a bank that gives higest interest to my dollars, stocks - i hope i bought the best performing stocks, savings deposit - pare pareho interest ng mga banko, time deposit - the same as savings, etc.

anyway just exchanging ideas...

Cool!!! Galing

Mutual Funds are just one of many tools I use. I also have short term bonds, stocks, and long term land is always a good investment. As to mutual funds closing up I have never experienced it, also I only invest with funds that are governmet insured.

My balance is such that I have already retired from work and I am living off my investment income comfortable and I am 48. B)

B)

six funds?? i guess you are too over diversified..hehe.. you could be exposing yourself to more risk than minimizing it.. its useless.. mutual funds are safe since they can't just close shop, not unless the stocks or bonds they own also close shop.. its different from pre-need plans.. when you buy shares of a mutual fund, you buy shares of the stocks and bonds they own.. when you buy pre-need plans, you put your money in that pre-need company.. that is why mutual funds have NAV or share price..

that is why mutual funds are transparent.. they give you a detailed financial statement every quarterly and annually.. its better than pre-need plans ..

• 3 weeks later...
Hi mutual fund experts,

I need your advise.  I just bought Php 200k worth of BDC fixed income fund.  Have I made the right choice?

Hey I am surprised that this thread on mutual funds is not moving. Anyway I bought the Php 200,000 worth of BDC fixed income fund and asked for advice and no advice was coming. I got it around 1131 per unit just last Jan 28. Now it has grown to 1145 per unit in less than a month. Looks like it is moivng. Mutual funds is the inthing right now in asia. Guess Philippines is still a very young market.

looks like you got a whole lot of money to spare.

good decision, i guess

Hey I am surprised that this thread on mutual funds is not moving.  Anyway I bought the Php 200,000 worth of BDC fixed income fund and asked for advice and no advice was coming.  I got it around 1131 per unit just last Jan 28.  Now it has grown to 1145 per unit in less than a month.  Looks like it is moivng.  Mutual funds is the inthing right now in asia.  Guess Philippines is still a very young market.

B)

you maintain six (phil) funds here?

dont they overlap already?

I suggest to invest only in rep*table banks and institutions mutual fund products. But also to look into the underlying risks of the particular fund and not just at the expected interest rate. Remember that higher interest rate is almost always equivalent to higher risk.

Remember:

1. Choose a rep*table bank (i.e. BPI, BDO, Metrobank etc.)

2. Look at where the fund's money is invested (i.e. Phil gov't bonds, Private Companies' bonds, etc.)

To spread risks due to currency, you can convert some Pesos into dollars and then invest the dollars in Dollar-denominated mutual funds. There is no point keeping dollars in savings account coz of the very low interest rates.

Before selecting a mutual fund, look also at the minimum initial amount, the minimum additional investment and holding period.

Look also at how the bank facilitates acceptance of additional funds. Some requires the existing investment to be withdrawn first and then re-invested together with the additional amount. Other do not.

Look also at the kinds of reports that the bank gives you. These should be regular, transparent and detailed. It should include details on where the money is invested.

Before selecting a mutual fund, look also at the minimum initial amount, the minimum additional investment and holding period.

Look also at how the bank facilitates acceptance of additional funds. Some requires the existing investment to be withdrawn first and then re-invested together with the additional amount. Other do not.

Look also at the kinds of reports that the bank gives you. These should be regular, transparent and detailed. It should include details on where the money is invested.

That is a sound advice. I am a newbie in mutual funds and have been studying the ABC of

equity funds. Especially in the Philippines anything can happen. So defnitely it is good to

look at the track record of the company that is offering the fund and on where our fund will

be invested in?

guy i have a question with regards to the UITF...

if you try to hold on that for maybe 5 yrs....will you get anything in the first, second....to the fifth year?...

UITF is different from stock market shares. In Stock Market shares they pay dividend

at the end of every year. As for UITF the profit that is made by fund manager from

the company they invested in is ploughed back into the fund. Of course some fund

manager will pay dividend for the year but frankly usually UITF don't pay dividend for

the profit they made but put the profit back into the unit fund you have invested in.

I even read that it is the fund manager's descretion to decide on whether to give dividend

or not. But before you want to invest in a certain fund, you should read the prospectus

and ask question and most likely they will inform you whether you will receive dividend.

But again as I say, most UITF don't pay diviidend.

guy i have a question with regards to the UITF...

if you try to hold on that for maybe 5 yrs....will you get anything in the first, second....to the fifth year?...

============

Most UITF funds will not pay dividends. All profits (net of management fees) are invested back into the fund. For example: You invest P100,000 composed of 1,000 units of P100/unit on day 1. The P100/unit will increase daily such that it may be worth P105/unit on day 10. On day 10, your investment is now worth P105,000. You can withdraw the P5,000 if you want by withdrawing the equivalent number of UITF units.