Well, my opinion on mutual funds is that , I would go for consistency of performance thru the years than the funds that suddenly boosted up this year

since my criterion on selecting MF is how they fare in both good times and bad. Considering my previous statement. I would prefer Sun Life since ever since my brother started plunking money on to with a few years ago, I was tasked to analyze its annual statements for him and I find its performance consistent with its goals of maximum shareholder wealth. Take it from an HK equities trader in Ortigas. :D

BPI's ALFM makes good returns since Jan 06 till now. Downside is ang tagal ng holding period (6 months).

yeah, i just read in the papers yesterday that the BPI mutual fund managed by BPI AMG (Asset Management Group) is number 1 in the industry.

the entry fee however, keeps ordinary working people away from it and other mutual funds.

recently i've been hearing about funds that don't require large entry fees (5000 Php+ only), are these ok?

i'm beginning to invest to this kind business, however, i still lack the knowledge and hindi ko pa siya masyadong maintindihan.  siyempre i don't want to invest something na di ko maintindihan. 

sir financial advisor, meron ba kayong ginagawang seminars for this kind of investment.  maraming ring newbie na katulad ko ang interesado sa ganito kaya lang marami pa ring question.  kung meron man where and when para maayos ko ang sched ko.

Good day,

If you are interested in learning about the different investment instruments, try dropping by my blog. The link is in my sig. There are a couple of articles there that I wrote for a local magazine. They may help you make your decision.

• 2 months later...
Good day,

If you are interested in learning about the different investment instruments, try dropping by my blog. The link is in my sig. There are a couple of articles there that I wrote for a local magazine. They may help you make your decision.

If i'm gonna invest, where do i go to buy mutual funds? Are you a financial manger?

• 3 weeks later...

contradictory ata statements mo? :D :D you are beginning to invest on a thing you can't understand yet you don't want to invest in things you can't understand hehehe peace man

what do you want to know?

i'm beginning to invest to this kind business, however, i still lack the knowledge and hindi ko pa siya masyadong maintindihan. siyempre i don't want to invest something na di ko maintindihan.

sir financial advisor, meron ba kayong ginagawang seminars for this kind of investment. maraming ring newbie na katulad ko ang interesado sa ganito kaya lang marami pa ring question. kung meron man where and when para maayos ko ang sched ko.

you are talking about mutual funds of mf companies which are member of investment company association of the phil.

check their website out www.icap.com.ph

and here you can monitor the performance of the member's mutual fund:

http://www.icap.com.ph/factsfignavps.asp

to answer you question: YES.

yeah, i just read in the papers yesterday that the BPI mutual fund managed by BPI AMG (Asset Management Group) is number 1 in the industry.

the entry fee however, keeps ordinary working people away from it and other mutual funds.

recently i've been hearing about funds that don't require large entry fees (5000 Php+ only), are these ok?

the usual thing to do is (assuming you know what fund to invest in) to contact the investment company, go to their office and give your money.

I already went to sunlife and purchase 10,000 worth of bond fund. From the NAVs, i lost P500 already for the upfront tax and fee. What to do next? Do i just leave it for 1 year ,2 years perhaps

Mutual funds are not created equal... I would suggest to invest a little time in studying their prospectus that would at least discuss their investment strategy, portfolio composition, goal, management fees and their qualifications.

There are multitude of fund types available and it depends on their portfolio composition i.e. Bond fund (treasury etc..), some holds Commercial Paper, some holds pure equities and those bolder one will have foreign instruments in their portfolio.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
the risk is there if you won't wait for it to mature. otherwise the interest is guaranteed

hmm, correct me if I'm wrong but i don't think mutual funds have "maturity dates" ? I believe the different mutual funds have holding periods, after which you can redeem anytime. Also, I don't think interest can be guaranteed since it is marked-to market. Just my two cents, though :)

hmm, correct me if I'm wrong but i don't think mutual funds have "maturity dates" ? I believe the different mutual funds have holding periods, after which you can redeem anytime. Also, I don't think interest can be guaranteed since it is marked-to market. Just my two cents, though :)

i think he was talking about bonds.

• 2 weeks later...

I started reading Robert Kiyosaki's "Rich Dad Poor Dad" last week. That's where I got the idea of investing in mutual funds. If there is a particular holding period, does this mean that I cannot withdraw my money during this period? Isn't that in contrast with the idea that you have ready access, and can therefore withdraw anytime, your investments?

I started reading Robert Kiyosaki's "Rich Dad Poor Dad" last week. That's where I got the idea of investing in mutual funds. If there is a particular holding period, does this mean that I cannot withdraw my money during this period? Isn't that in contrast with the idea that you have ready access, and can therefore withdraw anytime, your investments?

Generally speaking, you can still withdraw your money during the holding period. However, you will most likely be charged a penalty depending on how long your money stayed in the fund.