Guest lustfortravel
mutual or SDA (Special Deposit Acct)? given the situation in Philippines...

again, it depends on your personal risk tolerance. if you want liquidity, have a short term investment horizon and will settle for lower rates, sda will be fine. if you want the potential for higher gains and are willing to hold the investment for a longer term, then a mutual fund might suit you. check with your bank.

how much is the minimum investment in mutual funds?

^^^ depends on what bank. i believe some banks like BPI offer it as low as 50K. You can also ask from other banks on what their minimums are.

Most mutual funds are directly offered by asset management companies like Sun Life, Phil Am, ATR Kim Eng etc. Banks are prohibited from offering mutual funds except indirectly through their trust department. As LFT says, you can go directly to the trust department if they offer mutual fund investment outlets (like BPI) or to the Asset Management Companies or you can just simply check out their websites.

again, it depends on your personal risk tolerance. if you want liquidity, have a short term investment horizon and will settle for lower rates, sda will be fine. if you want the potential for higher gains and are willing to hold the investment for a longer term, then a mutual fund might suit you. check with your bank.

Sir thank you for the advise,, if you say longer term are we talking about a year (is it enough?) or at least how many more years? I just want to know how long can I hold the money i will invest,,,,

Guest lustfortravel
Most mutual funds are directly offered by asset management companies like Sun Life, Phil Am, ATR Kim Eng etc. Banks are prohibited from offering mutual funds except indirectly through their trust department. As LFT says, you can go directly to the trust department if they offer mutual fund investment outlets (like BPI) or to the Asset Management Companies or you can just simply check out their websites.

thanks for the clarification, dr. pepper. i sometimes forget. :lol:

Sir thank you for the advise,, if you say longer term are we talking about a year (is it enough?) or at least how many more years? I just want to know how long can I hold the money i will invest,,,,

it's up to you to decide how long you can stay invested in a certain product, then you find a product that suits you and your investment horizon. you can always check with asset management companies like sunlife, philam ,etc. ( as dr. pepper stated above) or the banks' trust departments. i'm sure there are marketing people who will be very happy to assist you.

and i'm not a sir, sir. :)

• 5 months later...
paging Dr_PepPeR:

doc, how is the mutual fund different from uitf?

thanks! B)

These are the differences between UITFs and Mutual Funds:

1. Prerequisites to issuance of authority to sell.

Mutual Fund - Registration under Investment Company Act (ICA) of 1960; Registration of shares to be sold to the public as required by the Revised Securities Act; Filing of a Registration Statement & Prospectus of the Fund.

UITF - Only institutions authorized to engage in trust business are allowed to operate a UITF; UITF operate under a written Declaration of Trust approved by the board of directors of the trustee and a copy submitted to BSP.

2. Supervisory/ Regulatory Agency.

Mutual Fund - Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)

UITF - Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP)

3. Participants in the Fund.

Mutual Fund - Stockholder with rights and obligations as provided in the Corporation Code

UITF - Trustor whose rights and obligations are defined in the Trust Agreement.

4. Documents Issued.

Mutual Fund - Depository Receipt for Payments/ Stock Certificates.

UITF - Written Trust Agreements / Certificate of Participation

5. Handling of Operations/ Management of the Funds.

Mutual Fund - Independent Fund Manager as required by SEC.

UITF - Trust Department of banks and other authorized Non-Bank Financial Institutions.

6. Purchase Price

Mutual Fund - Based on Net Asset Value Per Share (NAVPS) at time of subscription.

UITF - Determined by a formal method of participation valuation established in the DOT of the UITF.

7. Withdrawability.

Mutual Fund - Shares in the mutual fund are redeemable anytime; Although redemption is available at anytime, the mutual fund has up to 7 banking days to make payment on redemptions.

UITF - Terms of withdrawal provided in the trust agreement. Banks may pay within 1, 2 up to 7 days or more after notice of redemption.

8. Fees.

Mutual Fund - management fee ranging from 0.5% to 2% p.a; Sales charge ranging from 0 to 5%

UITF - Trust Fees 0.5% to 1.5% plus Other Expenses

• 2 months later...

magkano ba ang example na kita sa mutual funds,,,? kase ako SDA sa ngayon,, me extra money naman ako ,,,, SDA around 5% kita nya per month,,, so ang for example 1m ko 5 thou kita nya,, mas mganda ba pag mutual funds,, kasi nde inoofer ng banko sa akin,, ung sda ang inoffer,,, TIA sa advise mga masters!!

magkano ba ang example na kita sa mutual funds,,,? kase ako SDA sa ngayon,, me extra money naman ako ,,,, SDA around 5% kita nya per month,,, so ang for example 1m ko 5 thou kita nya,, mas mganda ba pag mutual funds,, kasi nde inoofer ng banko sa akin,, ung sda ang inoffer,,, TIA sa advise mga masters!!

I dont think you make 5% per month. You are actually making 0.5% per month or a total of 6% per annum.

I think you can make more on a stock/equity fund considering expectations of a recovery in the global market looking forward

I dont think you make 5% per month. You are actually making 0.5% per month or a total of 6% per annum.

I think you can make more on a stock/equity fund considering expectations of a recovery in the global market looking forward

Noted bro,,, tama ka 0.5 percent lang,,, pero mejo malaki na rin 6% per annum,,, mejo bago pa kasi ako sa mutual fund kaya mejo takot kasi mas risky di ba,, ? anyway will look into it,, thanks ...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Sir!! Tanong ko lang. Me 5 UITF dollar account ako sa BDO. Lately medyo d ako masaya sa nakukuha kong interest pero mas malaki pa rin eto compared as nakukuha kong interest sa money market time deposit account ko sa PNB. Is there any alternative way na pwede kong ilipat dollar account ko where I can get more interest or dividends? Thank you much.

Hi there. I'm actually a Mutual Fund Representative from Sunlife -

RE: question kung di ba matatalo ang 5k mo, straight answer is pwede. Altho the chances are very small. With mutual funds kc, for example equity fund. The fund is invested in companies composing or around 10 companies or more like PLDT, Ayala, SM, BPI, Metrobank etc.

For you to loose 100% of your investment, it will only mean that all of these companies have closed down which is very unlikely, maliban na lang in cases of war or armageddon.

Re: is it risky to invest in mutual funds? Answer is depends on your risk appetite. There are less risky mutual funds like Bond Funds where your money is invested in the Republic of the Philippines. Bale utang ng RP un, and will always have the capability to pay, not unless RP declares bankruptcy. Downside lang is, xempre lower potential income but definitely higher than banks. With risk kc, always follow the rule - ' the higher the risk, the higher the potential earnings'. Always ask, are you after the growth of your money - go for equity funds. After the security of your money - go for bond funds or money market funds.

Re: magkano ba ang kita sa mutual funds? Answer is, there is no guaranteed interest unlike banks. Naka dependent kasi xa sa market. As with Sun Life, equity funds performance in the last 5 years is around 93%, balance funds - 74%, bond funds - 35%. Definitely better than banks kung natutulog lang din money mo.

Should you have other questions, I'm very much willing to answer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

i have sunlife MF.. ok naman sya.. if you want pede din naman ikaw na mismo mag invest sa stocks or sa bonds directly prob lang medyo hassle pa.. even though i have MF i still do online stock trading.. turns out mas malaki pag ikaw mismo mag handle..

actually it depends. if you're a good trader/investor then you can outperform. but for some who have no idea on how to do this on their own it is still better to entrust your investible funds to professional fund managers.

• Downvote 1