How Do Filipinos View Balikbayans?

Some view us ofw/balikbayans as milking cows, walking atm machines and overall tagabayad ng kung ano-ano. and that is sad. I have worked in the phils before and i never contemplated going abroad, not until i was faced with the reality that what i earn on the job that i loved doing in the philippines is never gonna be enough to enable me to provide the comfortable life that i wanted for my family. I have been on a plane that landed in manila on the 23rd of december, it full of ofw's and balikbayans from all around the world. Some of them have not been home for several years and you can see the anticipation in their eyes. The minute the landing gears touched down, the whole plane burst into cheers, shouts of jubilation and murmurs of " sa wakas, naka uwi din". These are people, real people who gave sweat and blood to fulfil the "Filipino Dream" .... and that is to be able to buy imported goods for their children. It's a sad thing that these men and women are sometimes stripped of humanity and reduced to being cash machines for the family and the extended family.

How do I view balik bayans? HUMANS. They are also humans. They injure abuse, insults and a whole lot of injustice. They are just HUMANS like all of us.

Sad to say, the efforts of most OFW's are negated by the dependence on them by their lazy relatives back home. "Walking cash machines" is a very apt adjective. I know of several OFW's relatives who stopped working because a sister/brother/parent was working overseas and sending home money. A UP study in the late 1990's bears this out: the average savings rate of OFW's was below 7% overall.

• 1 month later...

I've posted the opinion I am about to make years ago and got flamed for it. Apparently, the point has once again been lost to a lot of people.

1. OFWs ARE NOT Balikbayans. Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) are Filipino citizens who for reasons of higher economic demand for their skills in foreign countries—or if you are a glass-half-empty kind of person, a lack of economic opportunity in the Philippines, end up working outside the country leaving their family in the Philippines. OFWs are those who have intentions of returning to the Philippines when the conditions suit them. "For good" is the term and it denotes when an OFW finally returns home, never to return to his overseas job.
  2. Balikbayans are immigrant Filipinos who have returned to the Philippines for a temporary visit. They have uprooted themselves and usually their entire families with the intention of living in another country and integrating into that country's society.

There is a big difference between OFWs and Balikbayans. OFWs are continuing contributors to their family incomes AND the Philippine economy. Balikbayans are only sporadic contributors to our economy much like any other tourist except that a few do send a few dollars back to remaining family.

Balikbayans like to continue to refer to their ethnic origins to label themselves. There is nothing wrong with that but Filipino-Americans are more American-Filipinos—Americans of Filipino descent. There is a difference. Once they leave these islands and stay illegally, gain residency, or even citizenship, they lose the right to call themselves Filipinos–as someone of Philippine nationality. They become people of Philippine ethnicity or people who come from the Philippines, or people of Filipino descent. But not a Filipino.

By this definition, an OFW is a Filipino. A Balikbayan is simply someone who can claim to have descended from a Filipino-even if sometimes he once was a Filipino. For now, Balikbayans are tourists visiting the Philippines, nothing more.

ikaw ang pinakamabait na anak, kaibigan, kapatid, bf, gf, asawa, pinsan, kapitbahay, o magulang dahil:

taga libre ng pagkain ng lahat, taga bayad sa pinang duty free, taga libre sa gimik, taga painom.

dapat may dalang pasalubong para sa lahat. pwede kang arboran ng damit, gamit o sapatos na wala kang reklamo. ano pa ba?

walking atm. hingian ng pamalengke. taga bayad ng utang. taga salba ng pamilya.

been f#&kin there and done that. ive learned my lesson.

^^ sapol mo. at sa loob ng ilang taon nagising na rin and learned my lesson this past 2 years na bakasyon wala ko nabiyayaan. at sa last vacation wala na dumalaw sa bahay :rolleyes: nwala na mga kaibigan o kamag anak mayabang na raw kasi ako nagkapera lang ang masama pa makakrinig ka ng babagsak ka din di lahat ng oras sa iyo. hahahahaha :lol:

sabi ko thanks for the comments.

^^ sapol mo. at sa loob ng ilang taon nagising na rin and learned my lesson this past 2 years na bakasyon wala ko nabiyayaan. at sa last vacation wala na dumalaw sa bahay :rolleyes: nwala na mga kaibigan o kamag anak mayabang na raw kasi ako nagkapera lang ang masama pa makakrinig ka ng babagsak ka din di lahat ng oras sa iyo. hahahahaha :lol:

sabi ko thanks for the comments.

Sad to say, there Filipino families who think that you owe them for the good fortune they think you have working abroad Balikbayan or OFW. These are the kind of families who deserve to be abandoned and ignored by their relatives who live and work in other countries. This parasitic attitude has to stop and the only way to stop it is to put your foot down and say, enough.

Families lose sight of the fact that no matter how high your salary abroad is, this is money that you have earned and worked for and which you deserve to conserve in your own way. Sharing comes from the heart and who would not want to share spare cash just to see how a relative's face lights up in delight? But being put in the position of a milking cow is not fair.

Visiting relatives from abroad should take the time and trouble to explain their way of life to their local relatives. Until you do that, you cannot insist that they be able to understand your position. Usually, you earn more in foreign countries because you have to spend more to live. And you have to buy nice things because you have to maintain a standard of living in order to be taken seriously. You visit the Philippines to renew your connections here and you try to minimize the inconvenience that your presence makes. This means, will mean picking up the bills for out-of-town trips, the restaurant meals, and at your option, if you wish to revisit nightlife.

This does not mean that you will have to take on everyday family obligations and responsibilities such as paying the tuition fees of some relative or his/her child. Or bailing out a relative from debt that he made but was unable to pay be it mortgaged property, or credit card bill. Neither should you give away the shoes on your feet or the shirt off your back no matter how old or cheap they are because by doing so, you are showing that your personal property has become community property. You may take out a senior member of the family to buy clothes but you must always define the boundaries before you start off. Your budget, who gets what, and everyone else who wants to come can at best only expect a free meal or merienda.

Never be passive about direct or indirect references to you being a tightwad, or selfish, or unwilling to help. You must confront the person in a nice way, invite him or her to a drink or a quiet meal somewhere so that you can explain that you have limits and these prevent you from being able to satisfy everyone. By ignoring instnces like this, you in effect affirm their accusations.

Staying in control while visiting relatives in the old country is not easy especially if you spent your early years here. The urge to show everyone that you have become successful is very strong and it is very easy to show this by being very lose with your hard-earned money. Believe me, there is a limit to this. By being loose and over generous, you are only enabling the greed of your relatives which will always be more than what you can provide.

The rule-of-thumb I give to visiting friends is to spend s if they were a tourist in another country where they are very happy with the services they receive so they can be generous with tips. But that is as far as it goes. No one should expect a handout from you but they can look forward to an appreciative gesture if they provide you a service.

I agree to bm and allow me to reiterate that we all must put to an end "The Parasitic Attitude"

There are several research done in universities, sadly nobody wrote a book about this and we all know why

Thank you for your agreement, but this is just one side of the coin.

Unfortunately, there are UGLY balikbayans and OFWs too. These are the ones who like to create a perception that they have been successful in their new life abroad by flaunting affluence no matter if this was the result of hard work or possession of several credit cards. Perhaps they were psychologically scarred by family and friends before they left–the result of friends and relatives being cynical about his or her ability to make it anywhere. Now they want to create a different image. Perhaps they lucked into a way of life that worked for them–something that they believe they would not have found by the Philippines and this has given them a reason to look down on our 'native' lifestyle. They'd see pinoys who preferred to stay as unambitious dilletantes easily satisfied with what life throws at them. Or perhaps they are just trying to find justification for leaving.

I've had a few balikbayans like these in my home. Most of the time, the ones who left the Philippines in their early adulthood were the ones with the biggest chips on their shoulders. They refer to the Philippines s the "P-I" as if they are one of the American colonial masters of the islands. They make constant comparisons like: "sa America, ganito…" Most of the time, they get away with these stunts because they are also usually the ones who like to spend the most and so they are able to buy the attention and tolerance of their audience. They speak tagalog with that funny Americn twang as if they only learned it recently. And they flaunt every stateside item of clothing they have as something special "because there is no Wal-Mart in Manila." Then they have that face that is half-amazed and half-disappointed when you tell them that yes, there are Starbucks coffee shops all over the city and no, the best coffee in town is Japanese and not American—UCC coffee. They look at my coffee machine in the kitchen and ask which US-based relative gave it to me and then make that stuttering mumble about how expensive it must have been after he is told that it was purchased locally.

These are the same guys who ask about the possibility of hiring a maid locally to work in their stateside homes. They think that just because the monthly wages of a Manila-based domestic worker of decent competence is about P5,000 or just about $100, they can just hire a few of them and pay them the same rate in the US. They get puzzled and flabbergasted when they are told that they cannot exploit people like that and that they must pay the rates mandated by the US government as well as provide the basic necessities.

Packing for the trip bck to the US is always a source of amusement for me. There they go, buying stuff left and right because it is so 'cheap' in US dollars. There's the one-quarter scale woodcarving of a water buffalo, the bulky round capiz lamps, dozens of the igorot barrel man with the spring-loaded dong, and the wooden salad bowls. Packing time is time to pay the piper time. How these people can worry about excess baggage charges and oversized boxes is just amazing. In the end, the poor wooden carabao gets left behind as too heavy, the same goes for the two dozen capiz lamps with the 220 volt light bulbs. I pity the next local guy who decides to visit the US because he will be expected to schlep all or a few of the left items back. And I'm not setting foot on American soil while I still see that darn 'kalabaw' in my basement closet.

last paragraph...so true and funny![

quote name=boomouse' date='13 November 2010 - 05:32 AM' timestamp='1289644375' post='7651173]

Thank you for your agreement, but this is just one side of the coin.

Unfortunately, there are UGLY balikbayans and OFWs too. These are the ones who like to create a perception that they have been successful in their new life abroad by flaunting affluence no matter if this was the result of hard work or possession of several credit cards. Perhaps they were psychologically scarred by family and friends before they left–the result of friends and relatives being cynical about his or her ability to make it anywhere. Now they want to create a different image. Perhaps they lucked into a way of life that worked for them–something that they believe they would not have found by the Philippines and this has given them a reason to look down on our 'native' lifestyle. They'd see pinoys who preferred to stay as unambitious dilletantes easily satisfied with what life throws at them. Or perhaps they are just trying to find justification for leaving.

I've had a few balikbayans like these in my home. Most of the time, the ones who left the Philippines in their early adulthood were the ones with the biggest chips on their shoulders. They refer to the Philippines s the "P-I" as if they are one of the American colonial masters of the islands. They make constant comparisons like: "sa America, ganito…" Most of the time, they get away with these stunts because they are also usually the ones who like to spend the most and so they are able to buy the attention and tolerance of their audience. They speak tagalog with that funny Americn twang as if they only learned it recently. And they flaunt every stateside item of clothing they have as something special "because there is no Wal-Mart in Manila." Then they have that face that is half-amazed and half-disappointed when you tell them that yes, there are Starbucks coffee shops all over the city and no, the best coffee in town is Japanese and not American—UCC coffee. They look at my coffee machine in the kitchen and ask which US-based relative gave it to me and then make that stuttering mumble about how expensive it must have been after he is told that it was purchased locally.

These are the same guys who ask about the possibility of hiring a maid locally to work in their stateside homes. They think that just because the monthly wages of a Manila-based domestic worker of decent competence is about P5,000 or just about $100, they can just hire a few of them and pay them the same rate in the US. They get puzzled and flabbergasted when they are told that they cannot exploit people like that and that they must pay the rates mandated by the US government as well as provide the basic necessities.

Packing for the trip bck to the US is always a source of amusement for me. There they go, buying stuff left and right because it is so 'cheap' in US dollars. There's the one-quarter scale woodcarving of a water buffalo, the bulky round capiz lamps, dozens of the igorot barrel man with the spring-loaded dong, and the wooden salad bowls. Packing time is time to pay the piper time. How these people can worry about excess baggage charges and oversized boxes is just amazing. In the end, the poor wooden carabao gets left behind as too heavy, the same goes for the two dozen capiz lamps with the 220 volt light bulbs. I pity the next local guy who decides to visit the US because he will be expected to schlep all or a few of the left items back. And I'm not setting foot on American soil while I still see that darn 'kalabaw' in my basement closet.

• 8 months later...

When you live in a foreign country you tend to compare the lifestyle you had back in the Philippines and were you are currently living. Different strokes for different folks. I in the other hand like it here in the U.S. You get to be more independent, you get to be more agressive(since you are the "different person"), and more hard working. No doubt i love the Philippines, but with the way things are goin' on right now you gotta wake up. Corruption? Poverty? s**t the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer.. Whats gonna happen to the Philippines in 10 years? How are your kids gonna survive? I took the chance here in the U.S. and thank god I'm doin' ok. You see here it doesnt matter what you do for a living, as long as its a decent job and it feeds you. so what if you work as a waiter or janitor or whatever kinda job you diss back in P.I. its still gives you a home to live at and food on the table. You work minimum in the Philippines how could you survive? 3 kids? milk, rent, food, kulang pa sweldo mo.. Sayang ang Pilipinas sa mga KURAKOT nating gobyerno. You get what im saying? well to each is own.. this is just my opinion.

Amen to that.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Riveria

Yung iba ang yabang parang lahat ng bago meron sila eh meron din naman dito ng meron sila. Pero one thing is for sure they are happy to be back to be with their loved ones.

Rather than viewing balikbayans with contempt and stereotype, I think it's important to remember that the only difference is "opportunity".

As filipino-australians, we have been given that opportunity to make something of ourselves but nobody said it would be easy.

We work 40+ hour weeks to put food on the table just like everybody else. If given the same opportunity I believe the locals would do exactly the same.

We're no different; we eat rice, adobo, sinigang, tuyo and all that stuff. We complain about how much things costs, we worry about school fees and worry about our sick kids.

We save what we can to afford that 4 week holiday in Manila and shopping sprees in Makati, not everyone is fortunate enough to be born with a silver spoon in their mouths.

We certainly do not live an everyday life of luxury, we work just as hard if not harder to have the things that we have...at the end of the day, we just have that opportunity and that doesn't make us better or worse people than those back home.