How Do Filipinos View Balikbayans?

I hate how Pinoys view people na nakapagabroad

Laging sinasabi "nakapagabroad ka lang yumabang ka na". Makikita mo talaga crab mentality ng Pinoy.

First of all, I worked my ass off to earn the opportunity I had outside ng Pinas. I keep working my ass off to stay here. Di ko naman kasalanan kung wala sa Pilipinas yung industry ko. At para bang lagi ko kelangan ibaba sarili ko sa kanila, komo sila itong walang napuntahan sa buhay nila.

OO talagang nagiiba ang ugali ng nakakatira sa abroad. nae-expose kasi sa ibang kultura. Wala naman masama dun kung yung babaunin na impluwensya ay yung magaganda. Tsaka talaga, pag nakikita mo ibang progresibong bansa, hindi mo talaga maiiwasang sabihin na sana ganito din satin.

I have a story to share. I have a friend who worked overseas. He visited the Philippines around 8 years ago and he was loaded, so obviously he had a lot of "friends". Last year, he visited the country again but this time he was broke because he got laid off and was unemployed for over a year because of a certain life event. He had less "friends" during his last visit, when he was telling people that he is in the Philippines they would always say "Libre kana!" which is really disappointing. I found it as an opportunity to pay him back on how he spent money on us 8 years ago. Anyway, the most disappointing part, he went back overseas after a few months and no one was there to accompany him. Even his family did not have the Amor to bring him to the airport for his flight. So di lahat ng balikbayan laging madami pera may mga umuuwi na may pinagdadaanan.

I hate how Pinoys view people na nakapagabroad

Laging sinasabi "nakapagabroad ka lang yumabang ka na". Makikita mo talaga crab mentality ng Pinoy.

First of all, I worked my ass off to earn the opportunity I had outside ng Pinas. I keep working my ass off to stay here. Di ko naman kasalanan kung wala sa Pilipinas yung industry ko. At para bang lagi ko kelangan ibaba sarili ko sa kanila, komo sila itong walang napuntahan sa buhay nila.

OO talagang nagiiba ang ugali ng nakakatira sa abroad. nae-expose kasi sa ibang kultura. Wala naman masama dun kung yung babaunin na impluwensya ay yung magaganda. Tsaka talaga, pag nakikita mo ibang progresibong bansa, hindi mo talaga maiiwasang sabihin na sana ganito din satin.

I used to hate people who thinks like that too - especially the freeloaders pero the more you think about it the more amusing it becomes. It's all just born out of plain insecurity and that's about it. Ever wonder bakit laging nakasimangot ang mga immigration officer at parating matataray? it's bec inggit na inggit sila sa mga taong lumalagpas sa counter nila na nakapag abroad habang sila hanggang dun na lang sa airport haha... kaya malas na lang ng traveller kung napunta sila sa moody na officer :P

When I was a kid i thought super rich at sarap ng buhay ng mga balikbayan kong relatives because they have cars, high tech gadgets , nice houses complete with appliances and vacations to famous landmarks like Disneyland and Las Vegas which i only read about and see on tv. But when i lived there myself I found out that they work their ass off having double jobs or else they wouldn't be able to pay off the 15 to 20 yrs to pay mortgage on houses, cars and credit cards. Wala sila maid , yaya, and lavandera. And kaya sila naka vacation sa Disneyland its because its 15 minutes away from their house.

so true.bawal ang tamad sa murica :rolleyes:

I have a story to share. I have a friend who worked overseas. He visited the Philippines around 8 years ago and he was loaded, so obviously he had a lot of "friends". Last year, he visited the country again but this time he was broke because he got laid off and was unemployed for over a year because of a certain life event. He had less "friends" during his last visit, when he was telling people that he is in the Philippines they would always say "Libre kana!" which is really disappointing. I found it as an opportunity to pay him back on how he spent money on us 8 years ago. Anyway, the most disappointing part, he went back overseas after a few months and no one was there to accompany him. Even his family did not have the Amor to bring him to the airport for his flight. So di lahat ng balikbayan laging madami pera may mga umuuwi na may pinagdadaanan.

Reminds me of the parable of the prodigal son....

that may probably be a blessing in disguise for him. At least he now knows who his real friends are. Being broke is by no means a good thing (we'd always prefer to be wealthy pag natikman mo na yung pera) but if there's one positive thing about being poor, it's that you're more or less sure that your friends are genuine. (wala naman kasi silang makukuhang materyal na benepisyo sayo).

bakit ba pag ang isang kapamilya na nag abroad e dapat siya na ang gumastos sa lahat ng gastos sa pilipinas. pati lampin at gatas ng pamangkin e problema mo pa. bakit ganyan ang mentality natin? hindi naman masarap ang buhay sa abroad.dollar nga ang kita, pero dollar din ang gastos. tapos makikita mo na bago ang cellphone e wala naman trabaho. haayyyy NAKU!

• 3 weeks later...