How Do Filipinos View Balikbayans?

akala ng pinoy pag galing sa abroad ang isang tao pinupulot

lang ang pera kahit ako ganyan din ang attitude dati

ngayon ako naman nasa abroad anak ng putakte

sobrang hirap pala..at tama lang ang sweldo mo para mabuhay

kelangan mo pa ng part time job para kumita ng ipapadala

Yup, kurog21 is right. Those pinoys who haven't been abroad don't know how hard it is. Pag umuwi ka and di mo naabutan ng pera, madamot ka na or kuripot ka. Di lang nila alam na you're working 14 hours a day to para may maipadala sa Pinas.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been going to Manila at least once a year ever since I graduated from College and started working in the US. Each time I go home,, I am welcomed by a huge celebration by friends and far relatives who by most standards are struggling financially and are living difficult lives. Naturally I would always bring them pasalubongs and cash handouts regularly to help them out and show my gratitude. Eventually, I started to feel that they're only happy to see me because of the money and the goods I bring them, like they're seeing me, a balikbayan as a money tree. I could not have been more wrong.

Sadly, I haven't escaped the recent financial downturn and have lost large amounts of money due to failed investments. I still decided to go back to Manila for a badly needed vacation. This time though, I brought back no pasalubongs and just enough cash for my needs. I told everyone in advance of my situation and that I can't bring them back anything. To my surprise, I still got the same huge welcome celebration I've been accustomed to. Afraid that people didn't understand what I had said earlier and that I had brought nothing for them, I eventually started apologizing. The response I got was something I would have never expected and was truly heartwarming.

Someone sensed my unease and proceeded to lecture me on why they've been welcoming me to the Philippines every time I go home. It wasn't because of the money and goods that I brought back. They were happy because through me, through my accomplishments, and through my relative success in life, they saw hope - that someone from their family, someone who they grew up with can achieve so much in life. It's true what they say that when you put others before yourself, then their well being is your well being, and their happiness is yours. I never really understood what that meant until that time.

I've been going to Manila at least once a year ever since I graduated from College and started working in the US. Each time I go home,, I am welcomed by a huge celebration by friends and far relatives who by most standards are struggling financially and are living difficult lives. Naturally I would always bring them pasalubongs and cash handouts regularly to help them out and show my gratitude. Eventually, I started to feel that they're only happy to see me because of the money and the goods I bring them, like they're seeing me, a balikbayan as a money tree. I could not have been more wrong.

Sadly, I haven't escaped the recent financial downturn and have lost large amounts of money due to failed investments. I still decided to go back to Manila for a badly needed vacation. This time though, I brought back no pasalubongs and just enough cash for my needs. I told everyone in advance of my situation and that I can't bring them back anything. To my surprise, I still got the same huge welcome celebration I've been accustomed to. Afraid that people didn't understand what I had said earlier and that I had brought nothing for them, I eventually started apologizing. The response I got was something I would have never expected and was truly heartwarming.

Someone sensed my unease and proceeded to lecture me on why they've been welcoming me to the Philippines every time I go home. It wasn't because of the money and goods that I brought back. They were happy because through me, through my accomplishments, and through my relative success in life, they saw hope - that someone from their family, someone who they grew up with can achieve so much in life. It's true what they say that when you put others before yourself, then their well being is your well being, and their happiness is yours. I never really understood what that meant until that time.

Nice one, bro! Very well said!

As for my opinion, i think the government should stop TELLING them that they are "mga bagong bayani" and start TREATING them as one. t** ang treatment ng gobyerno sa mga OFWs eh, especially yung mga DH and factory workers lang. Saka dapat may sustainable livelihood programs sa Pinas para mabawasan naman yung mga umaalis. After all, halos lahat ng umaalis have one thing in mind: mag-ipon ng pera tapos magnegosyo na lang sa Pinas...

as an ofw working here in the middle east, it's kindda sad that whenever i go home, most of the time it'll go unannounced - for a good reason actually. the first time i went home for a vacay, i was greeted with the same fanfare as most of the balikbayans would receive. however, i couldn't help but notice that even the people you knew who disappeared from obscurity would somehow manifest themselves only to find out that they are either selling you something or ask for a dole out. it's kindda pathetic since the occurring mentality at this point would be: you're rich and as if money grows in trees.

little do they know about the sacrifice we have to endure for the promise of a better standard of living. it's not easy working far away from your motherland, far away from the people you love and care about, far away from your comfort zone. and yet, all do they ever think about are the material possessions you've accumulated while working overseas. unfortunately, not everyone will be happy for your success. i have seen people who would be green with envy for your achievements. even to the point of putting you down for it. crab mentality surely knows no bounds, i say.

i know i maybe cynical about this issue. but reality bites.

as an ofw working here in the middle east, it's kindda sad that whenever i go home, most of the time it'll go unannounced - for a good reason actually. the first time i went home for a vacay, i was greeted with the same fanfare as most of the balikbayans would receive. however, i couldn't help but notice that even the people you knew who disappeared from obscurity would somehow manifest themselves only to find out that they are either selling you something or ask for a dole out. it's kindda pathetic since the occurring mentality at this point would be: you're rich and as if money grows in trees.

little do they know about the sacrifice we have to endure for the promise of a better standard of living. it's not easy working far away from your motherland, far away from the people you love and care about, far away from your comfort zone. and yet, all do they ever think about are the material possessions you've accumulated while working overseas. unfortunately, not everyone will be happy for your success. i have seen people who would be green with envy for your achievements. even to the point of putting you down for it. crab mentality surely knows no bounds, i say.

i know i maybe cynical about this issue. but reality bites.

i loathe the government for encouraging our creme dela creme to work outside the country in the hopes of bringing back some greens in order to stabilize the economy. without a doubt ofw's have greatly contributed to the economy by remitting billions of dollars back home. however, this is too steep of a price to pay by our kababayans back home. since most of the best and the brightest filipinos are elsewhere, its the foreigners who greatly benefit from our skills and talents. and only people left are either novices or newbies. this is especially true in the healthcare profession. brain drain indeed.

Filipinos think that all balikbayans are rich bitches and that they never had to undergo back-breaking jobs to come up with the cold cash that they have with them. This is such an unfortunate reality. Some Pinoys are clueless as to how difficult it is for our fellow kababayans to struggle and earn enough in a foreign land!

• 6 months later...

From my point of view (who has been there only for business trips):

These guys are cool who are able to are coming home after a successful venture abroad.

From one of my friend's view (who is a balikbayan):

Balikbayans are losers who can't 'make it' in the States.

Sino ang tama sa amin?

Pareho kayong tama. Filipinos/Pilipinos in the US ay successful and not successful.

But the not successful are the TNT's.

ikaw ang pinakamabait na anak, kaibigan, kapatid, bf, gf, asawa, pinsan, kapitbahay, o magulang dahil:

taga libre ng pagkain ng lahat, taga bayad sa pinang duty free, taga libre sa gimik, taga painom.

dapat may dalang pasalubong para sa lahat. pwede kang arboran ng damit, gamit o sapatos na wala kang reklamo. ano pa ba?

walking atm. hingian ng pamalengke. taga bayad ng utang. taga salba ng pamilya.

been f#&kin there and done that. ive learned my lesson.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Pareho kayong tama. Filipinos/Pilipinos in the US ay successful and not successful.

But the not successful are the TNT's.

"But the not successful are the TNT's."

well, it depends on you're definition of success. Yes, they are not successful in getting legal status, but they are making more $$$ when compared to stayin gin the Phil and are able to send $$$ home to educate their kids, etc., etc.etc. This price, however steep, is a choice they made.

• 2 weeks later...