How Do Filipinos View Balikbayans?

Naalala ko tuloy ung isang kaibigan ko na taga Carson, CA. Nung nagbakasyon siya sa Pinas 6 years ago ung baon niyang $3000 halos naubos. Nilapitan ng nilapitan siya ng mga kamaganak. As for kayabangan sakit na ng Pinoy yan kahit sa bansa natin maraming mayabang. Part na ata ng culture natin yan. Basta ako wala akong pakialam pagka nauwi ako.

I think everyone is entitled to their own dreams. If that new SUV is what allows him to work hard and remain away from his home and loved one, that I'd say it's good enough motivation. Now having said that, I'm a big proponent of living within one's means. Act your wage sabi nga daw. I too wouldn't spend most of my current savings on any singular purchase, except maybe to buy a pacemaker or drug, whatever to save a loved one's life.

It's your money do what you want to do with it. Hindi naman porket bumili ka ng SUV eh mayabang ka na. Yan lang ayaw ko sa ibang kababayan natin lumalabas ang pagka inggit.

• 3 weeks later...

From a balikbayan point of view:

You think we're mayabang? I just think we're more confident in the way we act. To survive abroad, dapat malakas loob niyo to do whatever it takes....di pwedeng hiya-hiya o tatahimik ka lang....everybody will just take advantage of you.

Pasalubong and money matters. There's this expectation that we support evrybody that has been left behind.....why is that? Diba dapat when you wnat something, you should work for it? Bakit biglang, there's this sense of entitlement that I should be supporting other people...mukhang kaya naman nila trabahuin iyon......In my opinion, one of the reasons kung bakit di masyadong umaasenso Phil, is that more and more ppl are just living off the padala $$$. Just like kids, if you keep giving them allowance, they will never learn to get a job.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, the shoe just went into the other foot today as I got a call from an uncle doctor practicing in the US. Time was, he was the most critical balikbayan I have ever met--always comparing how we live in the Philippines to how things are in the US. Well, the poor guy just had to call this pinoy to ask for a loan to keep the bank off his back and save his house from foreclosure.

Tulungan na lang. Kamaganak eh.

I live here in the Philippines at ako pa ang nagpapadala ng dollars sa aking daughter na nasa U.S. hehe

most of my in-laws now live in the u.s., pagumuwi sila dito katakot takot na hangin ang dala nila, masyadong ma ere hehe, they even will suggest to me that i should work over there instead of here in the philippines which to me, by indirect suggestion, that they are well off there than here. pagbigyan ko nalang at pa smile smile na lang ako hehe at baka bagyo pa ang dumating lol

• 2 weeks later...

From my point of view (who has been there only for business trips):

These guys are cool who are able to are coming home after a successful venture abroad.

From one of my friend's view (who is a balikbayan):

Balikbayans are losers who can't 'make it' in the States.

Sino ang tama sa amin?

From my point of view (who has been there only for business trips):

These guys are cool who are able to are coming home after a successful venture abroad.

From one of my friend's view (who is a balikbayan):

Balikbayans are losers who can't 'make it' in the States.

Sino ang tama sa amin?

that statement is so unfair! living and working in the states, as anywhere else does not guarantee succes. it will all depend on the person.

other balikbayans, mga nakaipon alng sila and wanna retire back here, or come visit. yung may sipag, tyaga and pure will succeed. ask balikbayans, most held two jobs to tide their kids thru college.

nataon lang na 48:1 ang forex kaya malaki rin pera nila, mind you, pag nasa states ka 1:1 ang dollar.

I live here in the Philippines at ako pa ang nagpapadala ng dollars sa aking daughter na nasa U.S. hehe

most of my in-laws now live in the u.s., pagumuwi sila dito katakot takot na hangin ang dala nila, masyadong ma ere hehe, they even will suggest to me that i should work over there instead of here in the philippines which to me, by indirect suggestion, that they are well off there than here. pagbigyan ko nalang at pa smile smile na lang ako hehe at baka bagyo pa ang dumating lol

cguro kapang pangan ka.

alam mo na ibig kong sabihin.

Tinatapat lang talaga ang bagyo sa bagyo.

Kuripot mga balikbayan.

• 1 month later...