How Do Filipinos View Balikbayans?

From a balikbayan point of view:

You think we're mayabang? I just think we're more confident in the way we act. To survive abroad, dapat malakas loob niyo to do whatever it takes....di pwedeng hiya-hiya o tatahimik ka lang....everybody will just take advantage of you.

Pasalubong and money matters. There's this expectation that we support evrybody that has been left behind.....why is that? Diba dapat when you wnat something, you should work for it? Bakit biglang, there's this sense of entitlement that I should be supporting other people...mukhang kaya naman nila trabahuin iyon......In my opinion, one of the reasons kung bakit di masyadong umaasenso Phil, is that more and more ppl are just living off the padala $$$. Just like kids, if you keep giving them allowance, they will never learn to get a job.

this guy is a f#&king genius!

cheers!

From a balikbayan point of view:

You think we're mayabang? I just think we're more confident in the way we act. To survive abroad, dapat malakas loob niyo to do whatever it takes....di pwedeng hiya-hiya o tatahimik ka lang....everybody will just take advantage of you.

Pasalubong and money matters. There's this expectation that we support evrybody that has been left behind.....why is that? Diba dapat when you wnat something, you should work for it? Bakit biglang, there's this sense of entitlement that I should be supporting other people...mukhang kaya naman nila trabahuin iyon......In my opinion, one of the reasons kung bakit di masyadong umaasenso Phil, is that more and more ppl are just living off the padala $$$. Just like kids, if you keep giving them allowance, they will never learn to get a job.

You can't deny na marami rin naman balikbayan na akala mo kung sinong hari pag-umuwi ng Pilipinas. Pagbalik naman kung saan sila galing, hirap din naman to make ends meet. Sa akin lang, kahit may pera ka o wala, you have no right to show off to your friends and relatives. You are just feeding your ego.

With regard to pasalubong and money matters, people think that since balikbayans are earning $$, they have more money to spend because of the exchange rate. You have to admit, balikbayans earn way more as compared to if you were doing the same work in the Philippines. It's just natural for people to expect some pasalubong pag-uwi. I think this is a trait common to filipinos. Tayo lang ang gumagamit ng balikbayan boxes, instead of luggage, pag-nagtra-travel pauwi. Kung kaya mo magbigay and maluwag sa loob mo, then share what you can.

I am a first class citizen here int he US pre! Even my PhD coworkers (Harvard, MIT graduate call me SIR). Hindi yabang yun ha? Fact lang po!

Well, I guess your PhD education did not teach you how not to be mata-pobre. 1st, 2nd class citizens? Wow, that's a new categorization of people. What do 1st class citizens do for any country aside from looking down at 2nd class citizens?

I am going to be a balikbayan too but I am coming back from an Asian country. I am going back because I got a better offer in the Philippines and it's an opportunity for me to maintain my family's comfortable lifestyle and at the same time help out our less fortunate countrymen - you know the so-called "2nd class citizens" by these pretending-to-be-elite idiots.

Depende kung saang bansa galing

Worked with The Filipino Channel at na met ko na ibat ibang klaseng balikbayans

so far mababait generally (or dahil sa media ako, kaya pabait effect)

and now, im an OFW na rin

kaya nkakarelate na

i want to change the impression na lahat ng balikbayans ay mayayaman,, libreng pa party gimick pasalubong at dala yung isang maletang dollars at mga ginto

may meron tlaga na maswerte na nakaka luwang at kayang pa pyesta sa buong bayan

meron naman na oki lng at kayang i treat ang pamilya lang

at meron naman na luhaan dahil hindi pinalad..

siguro filipinos who never been an OFW or worked abroad for more than a year ay magbago ang impression na lahat na nasa abroad ay mayaman

yes mlaki ang sahod pero somtimes cost of living (LIKE IN SINGAPORE)

pag coinverted sa pesos mlaki pero pag dollars na wala naman gaano mabibili...

pero ayun sa wiki 11 per cent ng mga PILIPINO ay nasa abroad, 11 million yun population!

I enjoyed reading the comments on this post, as I have observed most of these situations while either here in the US or back in Manila.

When I moved to So Calif over 25 years ago, sabi ng friends ko sa Phils, wag kang makikibarkada sa mga pinoy sa US kasi most of them are the proverbial "filipino crabs", meaning they'll backstab you and pull you down kung umaangat ang buhay mo compared to them. (likely because of "inggit").

(If you've seen crabs sa palengke, when one tries to climb out of the bucket, the rest of the crabs on the bottom tries to pull that crab down.)

I work in an office of almost 1000 employees with over 150 pinoys. A dozen of those filipinos work in supervisorial and managerial duties.

Guess what? Each of us are very supportive of each other. In fact, in the years I have been with most of them, I have not met a "filipino crab" yet. Most of them love the Phils. and in fact, bring some of our coworkers from other racial groups to vacation and party in the Phils! And each tries their best to hold up our reputation of being smart, good hardworking people.

I feel fortunate being with the group.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pre kung babasahin mo uli ang last post ko, malilinawan mo na wala akong PhD...mga co-workers ko merong PhD, pero Sir ang tawag nila sa kin.

Maybe I misspoke but my main point here--the notion that Filipino immigrants here are second class citizens in the U.S. is wrong... nasa diskarte mo lang yun pre.