How Do Filipinos View Balikbayans?

When I was a kid i thought super rich at sarap ng buhay ng mga balikbayan kong relatives because they have cars, high tech gadgets , nice houses complete with appliances and vacations to famous landmarks like Disneyland and Las Vegas which i only read about and see on tv. But when i lived there myself I found out that they work their ass off having double jobs or else they wouldn't be able to pay off the 15 to 20 yrs to pay mortgage on houses, cars and credit cards. Wala sila maid , yaya, and lavandera. And kaya sila naka vacation sa Disneyland its because its 15 minutes away from their house.

When I was a kid i thought super rich at sarap ng buhay ng mga balikbayan kong relatives because they have cars, high tech gadgets , nice houses complete with appliances and vacations to famous landmarks like Disneyland and Las Vegas which i only read about and see on tv. But when i lived there myself I found out that they work their ass off having double jobs or else they wouldn't be able to pay off the 15 to 20 yrs to pay mortgage on houses, cars and credit cards. Wala sila maid , yaya, and lavandera. And kaya sila naka vacation sa Disneyland its because its 15 minutes away from their house.

A bit disillusioning isn't it? ^_^ Actually I think a lot of middle class and upper class pinoys living here have a better quality of life than their counterparts living abroad. Like you said, many work their ass off with with more than one job just to pay off the mortgage and to make ends meet. They have no maids to help with daily chores, and they have to live in a society that's culturally different from theirs. If they can adapt to the culture well and good. If not, they will always long for home and may be unhappy. One thing I noticed whenever I visit the US, is how talkative many pinoys are. I normally just listen to them talk and complain about how life is like over there. I also conclude that many are just lonely so whenever they get the opportunity to meet a visiting kababayan, they talk relentlessly. I've even been in conversations with complete strangers on planes who are returning home to the US who talk like we were long lost friends. They talk about their jobs, their children, almost about anything, forgetting that I am a stranger. That in itself makes me realize how lonely these balikbayans really are. The chance just to talk to someone from the Philippines is probably very rare that they grab the opportunity to talk. Even about things that one shouldn't talk about with strangers.

A bit disillusioning isn't it? ^_^ Actually I think a lot of middle class and upper class pinoys living here have a better quality of life than their counterparts living abroad. Like you said, many work their ass off with with more than one job just to pay off the mortgage and to make ends meet. They have no maids to help with daily chores, and they have to live in a society that's culturally different from theirs. If they can adapt to the culture well and good. If not, they will always long for home and may be unhappy. One thing I noticed whenever I visit the US, is how talkative many pinoys are. I normally just listen to them talk and complain about how life is like over there. I also conclude that many are just lonely so whenever they get the opportunity to meet a visiting kababayan, they talk relentlessly. I've even been in conversations with complete strangers on planes who are returning home to the US who talk like we were long lost friends. They talk about their jobs, their children, almost about anything, forgetting that I am a stranger. That in itself makes me realize how lonely these balikbayans really are. The chance just to talk to someone from the Philippines is probably very rare that they grab the opportunity to talk. Even about things that one shouldn't talk about with strangers.

So true.Funny to see that even abroad we still brought the Pinoy attitude of pulong pulong specially older citizens who converge and talk of what life is. They even have their own chapters like Bulakenyo , Kapampangan, Ilonggo association or from wherever province they came from. Balikbayans are full of kwento and upon their return this kwentuhan can lead to reunions,dining out and drinking sprees that they pay for.

I think the attitude of balikbayans are dependent on their life experiences, values and lessons learned living in a foreign country . And dont forget the expectations of their relatives and friends back here.

I think, generally speaking, Filipinos look up to balikbayans. Especially those who have dreams of leaving the country for a better life abroad.

Just wanted to find out from people what exactly is the accurate definition of a balikbayan.

I personally define a balikbayan as someone who left the Philippines long ago when they were younger and settled in a western nation such as the United States, Canada, Australia, or one of the other 1st world countries in Europe. Then as they grew older, with their kids living on their own, these people return to the Philippines and stay here for long periods at a time, if not retiring here altogether.

Can Fil-Americans, born and raised here but now living in the US or other 1st world country, be considered as balikbayans if they visit the land of their birth 2 weeks out of the year? Even if their intention is just a short visit?

How about Fil-Americans who were born and raised in the US or other 1st world country and who have never even been to the Philippines? Can these people be considered balikbayans?

Or how about OFWs temporarily working overseas?

Filipinos living here, visit the US for 3 months and then return to the Philippines? Can these people be considered as balikbayans?

So what exactly is the proper definition of a balikbayan? I'm confused and would love to hear the opinions of people on this thread regarding this.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hmmm I see marami dito ang inaakala na basta nakapagabroad may pera.

Totoo may pera abroad kaya nga lumilipad dun eh. Pero hindi naman pinupulot lang ng basta pera dun. Kelangan kayod kalabaw ka talaga para kitain bawat sentimo. Lalo pa kung yung pinasukan mong bansa ay ibang klase ang work ethics. Sad to say, sa personal kong karanasan, medyo tamad nga talaga tayong mga pilipino kaya di tayo nagiging progresibo. Halimbawa na lang satin, pag break time, di ka pwede gambalain kasi karapatan mo yun. Dito kung may trabaho pa, hindi ka talaga magbre-break muna. Kasi mas importante magawa mo trabaho mo bago ka kumain. Kaya naman maganda ang costumer service nila dito kesa satin.

Isa pa, isa kasing maling akala ng marami kapag sinabi mong 1 dollar = 40 pesos, na yung nabibili ng 40 persos sa pilipinas mabibili mo ng one dollar sa US. Sa pilipinas may 100 pesos ka lang makakakain ka na ng burger combo, eh dito 5x halos yung katumbas.

Dapat talaga sa nagtratrabaho abroad may maayus na pinaglalaanan yung perang pinapadala. Hanap dapat ng investment para kung di marenew kontrata o kelangan ng umuwi, may magagamit

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to USA

Dear Diary,

Dec 14

Finally arrived in America for the first time. News about the possibility of White Christmas!!!

Dec 15

Wife and I sat by the window all day watching the snowflakes gently drifting down, covering the trees and the ground. Like the Christmas card my sister sent me. Oh, how beautiful!!!! (Nicer than the ash fall of Mt. Pinatubo).

Dec 16

Awoke to a lovely blanket of crystal white snow covering the landscape. What a fantastic sight! I really enjoyed shoveling my sister’s driveway. It was really FUN!!! A snowplow accidentally covered up the driveway. He waved. He reminded me of Santa Claus. I waved back to this nice citizen and shoveled again…. no problem.

Dec 17

Wow! 5 more inches of snow! The temperature dropped down to 5 degrees. The snowplow covered the driveway again with a compacted snow. I guess I’ll have to shovel again. It’s quite fun though. But it is really cold out!!!! BRRRRRR………..

Dec 18

The temp went up a little and the snow on the street turned into a slush mixed with dirt and became brownish-gray. Then at night, the temp went down again and became icy. A tree limb snapped and fell on my sister’s new car. WOW, HASTLE!!!!

More snow and ice predicted. Sho-shovel na namn ako?!! Ah leche, suma-sakit na ang likod ko!!!! Whew…. I miss my houseboy so much!!!

Dec 19

Putang-ina, and lamig!!! The snowplow came by twice today. First, he covered the street with “sand”, then came back and pushed the snow and ice mixed with dirty sand on the driveway again. Eh, tang-ina, ako NA NAMAN and mag-sho-shovel noon eh!!!!!! Ang hirap pala kung araw-araw mong ginagawa!!! Kung nasa Pilipinas ito pinag-mumura ko na yung tang-inang driver na yon!!!! LECHE!!!

Dec 20

Power went off due to weather and cold. Sinisipon na kaming lahat dito. Used kerosene heater which tipped over. Putaragis, nasunog yung mga kilay at pilik mata ko. Hindot!!!! Buwisit na bansa ito!!!

Dec 21

More snow predicted. Wind chill –7 degrees!!! Nag li-leak na yung bubong ng utol ko. All the plumbing pipes are frozen. Naku hindot, wala pang katulong! Mukhang ako na naman ang gagawa!!! Tang-ina, ang hirap ng buhay na walang maid!!! Pagbumalik pa yung hayop na snowplow na yon, sa-salubungin ko na siya ng pala at palakol!!!!

Dec 22

Anak ng p#ta, ang ginaw! Inabangan ko yung snowplow, hinabol ko ng itak at ina-tempt kong saksakin yung driver, pero nakataas ang kupal. Hindi ko mahabol dahil and sakit ng mga daliri, toes, at likod ko, at luma-labo and paningin ko. Nabubulag na yata ako!

Dec 23

Lumalamig na naman!!! Dumami na naman ang SNOW. Sabi sa tv na a-abot hanggang Abril daw ang winter season!!!

Ano?!!! Ayoko na!!!! Inyo na!!!

BUWAKA-NG-INA! KAYO NA LANG DITO.

UUWI NA AKO SA PILIPINAS!

LECHE NA BANSA ITO!!!

Welcome to USA

Dear Diary,

Dec 14

Finally arrived in America for the first time. News about the possibility of White Christmas!!!

Dec 15

Wife and I sat by the window all day watching the snowflakes gently drifting down, covering the trees and the ground. Like the Christmas card my sister sent me. Oh, how beautiful!!!! (Nicer than the ash fall of Mt. Pinatubo).

Dec 16

Awoke to a lovely blanket of crystal white snow covering the landscape. What a fantastic sight! I really enjoyed shoveling my sister's driveway. It was really FUN!!! A snowplow accidentally covered up the driveway. He waved. He reminded me of Santa Claus. I waved back to this nice citizen and shoveled again…. no problem.

Dec 17

Wow! 5 more inches of snow! The temperature dropped down to 5 degrees. The snowplow covered the driveway again with a compacted snow. I guess I'll have to shovel again. It's quite fun though. But it is really cold out!!!! BRRRRRR………..

Dec 18

The temp went up a little and the snow on the street turned into a slush mixed with dirt and became brownish-gray. Then at night, the temp went down again and became icy. A tree limb snapped and fell on my sister's new car. WOW, HASTLE!!!!

More snow and ice predicted. Sho-shovel na namn ako?!! Ah leche, suma-sakit na ang likod ko!!!! Whew…. I miss my houseboy so much!!!

Dec 19

Putang-ina, and lamig!!! The snowplow came by twice today. First, he covered the street with "sand", then came back and pushed the snow and ice mixed with dirty sand on the driveway again. Eh, tang-ina, ako NA NAMAN and mag-sho-shovel noon eh!!!!!! Ang hirap pala kung araw-araw mong ginagawa!!! Kung nasa Pilipinas ito pinag-mumura ko na yung tang-inang driver na yon!!!! LECHE!!!

Dec 20

Power went off due to weather and cold. Sinisipon na kaming lahat dito. Used kerosene heater which tipped over. Putaragis, nasunog yung mga kilay at pilik mata ko. Hindot!!!! Buwisit na bansa ito!!!

Dec 21

More snow predicted. Wind chill –7 degrees!!! Nag li-leak na yung bubong ng utol ko. All the plumbing pipes are frozen. Naku hindot, wala pang katulong! Mukhang ako na naman ang gagawa!!! Tang-ina, ang hirap ng buhay na walang maid!!! Pagbumalik pa yung hayop na snowplow na yon, sa-salubungin ko na siya ng pala at palakol!!!!

Dec 22

Anak ng p#ta, ang ginaw! Inabangan ko yung snowplow, hinabol ko ng itak at ina-tempt kong saksakin yung driver, pero nakataas ang kupal. Hindi ko mahabol dahil and sakit ng mga daliri, toes, at likod ko, at luma-labo and paningin ko. Nabubulag na yata ako!

Dec 23

Lumalamig na naman!!! Dumami na naman ang SNOW. Sabi sa tv na a-abot hanggang Abril daw ang winter season!!!

Ano?!!! Ayoko na!!!! Inyo na!!!

BUWAKA-NG-INA! KAYO NA LANG DITO.

UUWI NA AKO SA PILIPINAS!

LECHE NA BANSA ITO!!!

:lol::lol: