How Do Filipinos View Balikbayans?

can someone please educate me... how in the heck do they know if a remittance is from an OFW or from someone who migrated permanently to another country. when we used to send money to my lola nobody asked if we were immigrants or on a working visa. and now that my aunts and uncles send money to my cousins nowhere there is it indicated if it came from a OFW or emmigrant. also, in the school i used to teach in, every other student was being put through by a relative who migrated to another country and their tutuion is paid for when their relative comes back as balikbayan. does that count? it's an honest question and i'm clueless.

Incoming $ to the Philippines per se is being tracked by the BSP ... it could be direct or indirect portfolio investments or via Remittances from abroad. I don't think there is such specific monitoring for "OFW Remittance". The item Remittances from abroad gnerally would include the money sent by Filipino overseas through "duly documented channels" such as Banks &/or remittance companies. This figure does not include those sent through the "underground" (ie. money sent to a relative through someone who will be home for a vacation).

Remittance from abroad is often associated with OFW Remittance since bulk of it are from OFWs working abroad rather than Immigrants. On the other hand , since the law now allows dual citizenship for Filipino Immigrants, then technically they could probrobly be still considered "OFW" since they are acknowledged as Filipinos that works abroad and remits the money back home (Philippines) despite their visa status is not on working visa but rather an Immigrant.

Just got back from a long business trip in Macau and HK, whenever there's a chance i interview kababayans there for the other segment of our business. For some they feel that people that they support back here in the Philippines doesn't value the hardship in earning that money they spend. Nowadays its easy to communicate with them or shall i say its easy to ask them to send money. There's this Pinay DH, who even let me read the text of his son saying that the Nike shoes he wanted to buy is worth 6K and he wanted a new mobile phone.

Please if you'll be asking them for something, try to ask first how do they do, mangamusta muna, then saka manghingi. hehe! seriously we should value their hardship, it doesnt mean that they're in other country - they're just picking apples, they have been sacrificing a lot for us.

peace :)

Ang tingin ng mga taong nasa Pinas pag balikbayan ka dapat may pasalubong ka sa kanila,..kailangan may dala ka para sa kanila or else ang tingin nila sa iyo yumabang na at mapag malaki na dahil may pera ka na...WTF ni hindi nila maalalang itext si OFW eh. Maalala lang pag uutang, pag may papabili...

MAHIYA KAYO SA BALAT NIYO...kung isa ka sa kanila, I try mong itext iyan at ipadama mo sa kanyang naalala mo siya. for sure kahit hindi ka mag sabi may dala iyan pag uwi niya para sa iyo.

Hirap rin kasi sa ibang mga Pinoy na umaalis, inuuna yabang. Instead of having a goal, yabang pinaiiral.

I am starting on my first of three years as OFW. I already computed that if I just save and save, I can push my total savings to Php1M for the 3-year stint. So, my goal pagbalik Pinas is to use that to buy my dream SUV. For sure, ubos yan Php1M na yan, medyo kulang pa nga, pero at least I accomplished one of my goals - and that is to have my own brand new sparkling chromed SUV more or less fully paid.

Ung mga iba nag-OFW pulos maliliit na bagay binibili kaya mabilis rin mawala. They go strutting their hundres of pesos and giving it away in the false notion that this makes them one of the rich. In 6 months time, ung 5 years na pinaghirapan nila, ubos na or nakasangla.

ayus na sana eh...kaya lang pambibili mo lang pala ng SUV ang kikitain mo at iipunin mo...well bro isa ka rin sa mga pinaparatangan mong "mayabang" no offense pero since sinabi mong mayabang ang iba, ganun ka na rin...

tignan lang natin kung hindi mo rin ibenta yang SUV mo after six months kung mag sstay ka lang sa Pinas.. Dude FYI hindi investment ang sasakyan...Mas maigi pa yung mga bumibili ng alahas kasi pwedeng maibenta nila ng mahal ang alahas nila, pero ang SUV mo, hinding hindi mo mabebenta ng mas mahal pa kesa sa original price mo na pinagbilhan mo,...

Tsaka bro i would suggest dagdagan mo ang savings mo, in 3 years 1M lang pala target mo? kasi after 3 years malang yung SUV na dream mo eh 1.25M na..

Peace out men.

Just got back from a long business trip in Macau and HK, whenever there's a chance i interview kababayans there for the other segment of our business. For some they feel that people that they support back here in the Philippines doesn't value the hardship in earning that money they spend. Nowadays its easy to communicate with them or shall i say its easy to ask them to send money. There's this Pinay DH, who even let me read the text of his son saying that the Nike shoes he wanted to buy is worth 6K and he wanted a new mobile phone.

Please if you'll be asking them for something, try to ask first how do they do, mangamusta muna, then saka manghingi. hehe! seriously we should value their hardship, it doesnt mean that they're in other country - they're just picking apples, they have been sacrificing a lot for us.

peace :)

bingo!

ayus na sana eh...kaya lang pambibili mo lang pala ng SUV ang kikitain mo at iipunin mo...well bro isa ka rin sa mga pinaparatangan mong "mayabang" no offense pero since sinabi mong mayabang ang iba, ganun ka na rin...

tignan lang natin kung hindi mo rin ibenta yang SUV mo after six months kung mag sstay ka lang sa Pinas.. Dude FYI hindi investment ang sasakyan...Mas maigi pa yung mga bumibili ng alahas kasi pwedeng maibenta nila ng mahal ang alahas nila, pero ang SUV mo, hinding hindi mo mabebenta ng mas mahal pa kesa sa original price mo na pinagbilhan mo,...

Tsaka bro i would suggest dagdagan mo ang savings mo, in 3 years 1M lang pala target mo? kasi after 3 years malang yung SUV na dream mo eh 1.25M na..

Peace out men.

Hi there.

Owning a vehicle does NOT equate to "yabang". Yabang is a state of showing off.

It is an investment, but not in the traditional sense as in one buys low, sells high. It is an investment because I will use it for work, family travel, and gimmicks and I could very well place a high value on such convenience and sense of vehicle ownership, thus getting more in return from the cost.

Will I sell it after 6 months? Only God can tell. Barring unforseen events (knock on wood), I highly doubt it. But no one can really knows the future so I'll leave it at that.

Add more savings ? Haha. Thanks for the suggestion but it is what I can save based on my salary. Anyway, I did mention that the amount could just "more or less" pay for the full amount, didn't I?

In the end, I really sense your genuine, main concern bro and I know you mean well. I am appreciative of the warning.

• 4 weeks later...

Peace out men.

I think everyone is entitled to their own dreams. If that new SUV is what allows him to work hard and remain away from his home and loved one, that I'd say it's good enough motivation. Now having said that, I'm a big proponent of living within one's means. Act your wage sabi nga daw. I too wouldn't spend most of my current savings on any singular purchase, except maybe to buy a pacemaker or drug, whatever to save a loved one's life.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
awww, the fob flip just flipped.

go ask your girlfriend to suck that long turd that drops below your knees. i'm not touching that s**t.

check out your paycheck? why should i bother with such a pedestrian thing? I haven't seen a paycheck in years. I like dividends. You think you earn enough to buy an island like mine? Because that is where i am as i write this. and yes, our broadband is wireless. even in northern palawan.

so you're a pilot? great profession. sort of like a truck driver with wings right? breaker, breaker pinoy leatherneck crash and burns!

BAKIT MO KASI PINAPATULAN YUNG MGA IGNORANTENG KLASE GAYA NUNG UNGGOY NA YUN?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...