How Do Filipinos View Balikbayans?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

they are okey, deserves recognition for doing anything to uphold the family financial needs..

but some are pathetic, wearing 5 gold necklaces at the same time and 3 rings in one hand... they dont understand the "literal" meaning of financial wealth.

Edited by France08
  • 5 months later...

Awash with money, but it's not always true.

There are many factors that determine whether balikbayans are really awash with money. I suppose some want to show off that they have it made in Europe or the US and will make an effort to pay for everything. It may be all an act. But there may also be some really well to do balikbayans who struck it rich overseas. With the problems facing the European and US economies, I think many balikbayans are now feeling the pinch.

• 4 weeks later...

Mayabang yung iba!

Pa-english english slang pa... Eh pwede naman magtagalog kasi tagalog yung usapan dito sa pinas... Dapat sana eh ilagay sa lugar..

I don't think it's wrong to speak English in the Philippines, let that balikbayan express in the best language he/she feels. Speaking in English doesn't mean one is already "mayabang." Unless you make yourself feel inferior simply because someone is speaking in English. Ugh, this is so colonial mentality.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think it's wrong to speak English in the Philippines, let that balikbayan express in the best language he/she feels. Speaking in English doesn't mean one is already "mayabang." Unless you make yourself feel inferior simply because someone is speaking in English. Ugh, this is so colonial mentality.

^_^ I agree...

pag ofw daming pera!

Not all OFWs are able to save enough. Especially those working in war-torn middle east countries. Some are repatriated back to the Philippines with nothing but the shirt on their back. I feel sorry for these people who invested so much time and effort seeking greener pastures overseas only to come home empty-handed.

Those who manage to save and remit money back to their families in the Philippines are the lucky ones. But not without some very high social costs. These Pinoys have to contend with loneliness, being without their loved ones, and at times, hostile employers.

We should wish our kababayans toiling abroad only the best. Whatever prosperity they manage to attain, they deserve it.

Haha these were true back in the mid-2000s, when peso was still Php55 to a dollar. Now it's Php40 to a dollar and one can easily find himself/herself abroad unable to save because of this.

Indeed, this has hurt the economic status of many Filipinos who rely on their relatives' remittances because their dollars can now buy less pesos. When the peso is strong, exports including manpower exports take a beating.