Fuel Saving Tips

If your aircon is working just fine, always make sure its turned on and windows closed because the air drag caused by open windows makes the engine work harder because of additional friction and drag, thus more fuel consumption.

yep, it does cause drag, pero it only affects if your running fast, tulad ng sa palabas na myth busters, around 80kph and above better ung close windows or else u'll end up consuming more fuel..

I definitely agree on this... Notice how a softdrink bottle when open makes that hissing sound! This is the escape of the carbonated water as it has expanded inside the bottle. Our fuel tanks are pretty much the same. Less volume space for the fuel vapors to expand, the less it will. Notice also the sound of "pfffttt" everytime you open your tank. this is the fuel vapor escaping. The more often times you do this, the more you give a bigger volume of space for the fuel to vaporize inside your tank and again, as the cycle continues, the more it expands the more it vaporizes, the more it escapes everytime you open you gas tank to fill in a few liters worth.

I don't think that for opening your gas tank for a couple of minutes or even 10min will evaporate 1 liter of fuel, try filling up a 1.5L bottle with fuel and don't cover it for 10min, or even a 500ml beaker, see if it will evaporate and mauubos lahat ng un.. you dont need 10min to fill up your car.. while carrying extra weight could cost you 1km/L or even more pag slow traffic..

as for the "pfffttt" sound it makes everytime you refuel, here is a picture explaining the sound it makes..

1. just filled up the tank..

2. as the engine runs the fuel pump sucks fuel from the tank, since fuel tanks are air tight sealed as designed to prevent leaks and accidents, air can't get in to replace the space needed thus resulting a vacum inside the tank..

3. as the fuel cap is removed for refueling, the vacum sucks air rushing into the tank making a pop sound...

have you ever played with a soda bottle before when you were a kid? sucking the air then making it "pfffttt"?

try doing this, 1.5L bottle filled with 500cc fuel, mark it and seal it shut, then leave it over night o 2 in a controlled environment to prevent accidents.. that's 60% air and only 30% fuel, see if it creates that sound and if nabawasan ung fuel.. hindi mababawasan yan, i know, coz i've done it, i buy unleaded fuel instead of kerosene for grilling, and based on experience, masnakakatipid ako up to 1.5km/L if i only put 500 peso worth of fuel than 1000 in city driving o basta mabagal ang takbo.. basta i make sure na sobra ung gas ko at may madadanan along the way na gas station.. exemption lang for me ang long driving lalo na express ways since mabilis naman ang takbo..

post-133290-1196611529.jpg

post-133290-1196613730.jpg

Since this month of December is the season for traffic. We just have to plan ahead of schedule to save on travel time. Speeding is the main cause of excessive fuel consumption and abrupt braking. Being caught up in a major traffic jam is unavoidable sometimes which even more consumes fuel since it's all stop, go and swerve to make it to your destination.

Basically the best way in saving fuel w/o modifications is to maximizing your speed by avoid loosing much speed and gradual acceleration.. don't open the throttle too much and refrain from pumping the gas pedal.. if there's traffic ahead, don't be in a hurry because if you notice the cars around you wont be that far from you at the end of road.. and if you're planning to buy a car for everyday use, get the one with the best power to weight ratio of the same car class you want. too much power and too little power will do no good.. bigger is better for comfort, but consider this, more weight = more fuel.. So as much as possible get the lighter one..

Tips on getting the most out of filling up your gas tank:

1. Fill up your car or truck in the morning when the temperature is still cool. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground; and the colder the ground, the denser the gasoline. When it gets warmer gasoline expands, so if you're filling up in the afternoon or in the evening, what should be a gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and temperature of the fuel (gasoline,diesel, jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products) are significant. Every truckload that we load is temperature-compensated so that the indicated gallon gage is actually the amount pumped. A one-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for businesses, but service stations don't have temperature compensation at their pumps.

2. If a tanker truck is filling the station's tank at the time you want to buy gas, do not fill up; most likely dirt and sludge in the tank is being stirred up when gas is being delivered, and you might be transferring that dirt from the bottom of their tank into your car's tank.

3. Fill up when your gas tank is half-full (or half-empty), because the more gas you have in your tank the less air there is and gasoline evaporates rapidly, especially when it's warm. (Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating 'roof'membrane to act as a barrier between the gas and the atmosphere, thereby minimizing evaporation.)

4. If you look at the trigger you'll see that it has three delivery settings: slow, medium and high. When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to the high setting. You should be pumping at the slow setting,thereby minimizing vapors created while you are pumping. Hoses at the pump are corrugated; the corrugations act as a return path for vapor recovery from gas that already has been metered. If you are pumping at the high setting, the agitated gasoline contains more vapor, which is being sucked back into the underground tank, so you're getting less gas for your money. Hope this will help ease your 'pain at the pump

I installed both gas saving gadgets in my x trail, but apparently same comsumption, walang kwenta, waste of money, my milage only 5 to 5.2 something like that for the x trail. I think if you want to save gas, just keep you rpm below 2000 most ot the time. :blink:

If base model Xtrail mo, 2.0L FWD A/T, medyo matakaw yan, kasi sakin around 5.5-6km/L sakin sa city driving, sometimes umaabot ng 6.5.. gas saving devices ay hindi advisable sa modern cars ngayon because of the sensors and computer management system ng engine, so kahit anong gawin mo, the computer is still the one deciding.. gas saving devices helps sa carburetor type engines, pero not worth it, you can basically attain same result with minor tunning of the engine..

post-133290-1197014756.jpg

• 2 months later...
Yung "fuel miser' invention nang isang pinoy, kinakabit sa part nang engine (valve?), anyone had this gadget on their car? Nakakatipid ba talaga? May scientific data ba nito?

a physicist friend of mine told me na walang difference at all. no theoretical explanation tho. I believe her still

• 4 months later...
I installed both gas saving gadgets in my x trail, but apparently same comsumption, walang kwenta, waste of money, my milage only 5 to 5.2 something like that for the x trail. I think if you want to save gas, just keep you rpm below 2000 most ot the time. :blink:

I agree, quite slow but who cares. I've been doing this and it really increased my mileage.

Hi, I don't know if there's a thread already for this, but has anyone tried using "X-1R" or "Motor Up" as an engine treatment for a vehicle 5 years old and up? I have an older model CRV which I've been using sparingly in favor of an Altis.

Can the above engine treatments make the engine "efficient," thus leading to better fuel economy? They even quote NASA as a user of these products.

Hi, I don't know if there's a thread already for this, but has anyone tried using "X-1R" or "Motor Up" as an engine treatment for a vehicle 5 years old and up? I have an older model CRV which I've been using sparingly in favor of an Altis.

Can the above engine treatments make the engine "efficient," thus leading to better fuel economy? They even quote NASA as a user of these products.

Don't believe that crap on TV. it doesn't work. just follow your car's manual. change oil religiously and use the recommended viscosity. on most cars its 10w30.

Isa way to save gas.. is to clean your Trothel body at EGR ports using Carb cleaner also. every change oil or at least every 10,000 klm. Kung carburator naman makina mo..ganun din, meron carburator cleaner na pwede apply.. this way mas maganda yung breathing ng makina kasi malinis at walang carbon deposits..so more klm run per liter.

A long-running TV show suggests maintaining speed at around 80-90 kph, since this is supposed to be the most "fuel-efficient" speed. However, this can only be practical on long stretches of the highway.

When the A/C cools the cabin enough, I just switch the A/C button off, and just leave the fan on. Or, going home at night, I turn the A/C off and leave a 2-inch gap on my window. Pauwi na rin naman e.

By the way, at what rpm do you shift gears?