Fuel Saving Tips

A long-running TV show suggests maintaining speed at around 80-90 kph, since this is supposed to be the most "fuel-efficient" speed. However, this can only be practical on long stretches of the highway.

When the A/C cools the cabin enough, I just switch the A/C button off, and just leave the fan on. Or, going home at night, I turn the A/C off and leave a 2-inch gap on my window. Pauwi na rin naman e.

By the way, at what rpm do you shift gears?

ako i'm shifting at 2k RPM or 1.5RPM, so far i'm getting 13.988 Km / L combined highway and city driving on my 1.3 Vios, in this way mas makakatipid daw sa gas. thermostat 4-5 clicks. fan naman 1,2,3, or 4 depende sa init. i'm also maintaining my tire pressure, weekly ang visit sa gas stations para magpa hangin ng gulong.

Hi, I don't know if there's a thread already for this, but has anyone tried using "X-1R" or "Motor Up" as an engine treatment for a vehicle 5 years old and up? I have an older model CRV which I've been using sparingly in favor of an Altis.

Can the above engine treatments make the engine "efficient," thus leading to better fuel economy? They even quote NASA as a user of these products.

I've tried that crap. Someone left me 3 bots of that stuff cause he needed money and i ended up using it cause its paid for. All i can say is that its the most expensive liter of crap i used in my engine. No effect at all, totally useless!

ako i'm shifting at 2k RPM or 1.5RPM, so far i'm getting 13.988 Km / L combined highway and city driving on my 1.3 Vios, in this way mas makakatipid daw sa gas. thermostat 4-5 clicks. fan naman 1,2,3, or 4 depende sa init. i'm also maintaining my tire pressure, weekly ang visit sa gas stations para magpa hangin ng gulong.

isn't 1.5k or 2k rpm too low? di ba nagsha-shake engine mo upon shifting? might be bad for both transmission and engine.

isn't 1.5k or 2k rpm too low? di ba nagsha-shake engine mo upon shifting? might be bad for both transmission and engine.

hi poloman888, hindi naman siya nag sha shake kapag 1.5k RPM shift lalo na sa 2k RPM shift.... minsan minsan nag 2.5K RPM shift ako... pero madalang lang iyon...

im not just sure kung applicable yung practice ko for older engines/cars or other cars??

As much as possible maintain speed at 80 kph (probably the most efficient speed for most cars) lalo na kung hindi naman nagmamadali.

Watch your tachometer. Avoid 3000 rpm and above (depende sa car). In my case, I always maintain my rpm below 2000.

When you see traffic ahead of you, don't step on the gas. Your car's momentum maybe enough for you to reach the traffic jam. :rolleyes:

Regularly check your tire pressure (this is very important).

Regular maintenance of your vehicle is a must.

When using a car with an automatic transmission, sometimes you don't have to wait for the transmission to shift to a higher gear especially kung feeling mo kayang kaya ng car mo ang next higher gear sa current road condition. You can actually override this by depressing your accelerator and the transmission will automatically shift to a higher gear. Of course, this depends on the car and size of engine.

When driving at night and its not that hot, I don't use my AC. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Avoid rush hours. On the way home I usually stay parked at places with free or flat rate parking when I see heavy traffic. Get some coffee, do some reading, fiddle with your laptop/pda/psp. You'll feel a whole lot better driving home when the traffic is lighter.

Or you could ride shotgun in your friend's car. Heheh

try to put a very small glass bottle (with a small thread) hanging on your rear view mirror. this will serve a reminder not to abruptly press on the gas and regulate, measure your brake.

if you abruptly press on the gas pedal and brake fast the small glass bottle might break/broken to pieces due to clash on the windshield.

try to put a very small glass bottle (with a small thread) hanging on your rear view mirror. this will serve a reminder not to abruptly press on the gas and regulate, measure your brake.

if you abruptly press on the gas pedal and brake fast the small glass bottle might break/broken to pieces due to clash on the windshield.

i suggest that we avoid abrupt acceleration and stoppages. then when on the go, try to monitor ur rpm, not to exceed the 2000rpm mark. when on the downhill, shift to neutral and just let ur vehicle roll. but take note to be ready with ur brakes. :)

meron akong ginagawa sa NLEX. pag ung last kilometer mark na papunta sa exit ko, nilalagay ko na lang sa neutral. namemreno pa ako pag akyat sa tollgate. napakaliit lang na savings, pero parang ang saya ko sa natipid ko. ginagwa ko lang 'yun pag wala sa gilid o likod ko na ibang sasakyan.