Fuel Saving Tips

Tanung lang po... nakakasira ba ng makina ang palaging paggamit ng nuetral habang umaandar... kasi di ba nakakatipid sya ng gas.. meron bang implications or downside ng palagiang gamit ng neutral..

Kung manual transmission ang kotse, wala naman masama pag neutral ka habang umaandar. Ang masama lang kapag extreme downhill ang takbo mo at naka neutral ka palagi. Baka mag-overheat ang brakes mo dahil hindi sya nasusuportahan ng engine braking.

Kung automatic naman ang transmission, masama kapag nililipat mo from Drive-to-Neutral and vice versa kapag in motion ang sasakyan. Makakatipid ka nga sa gasolina ng konti kapag nililipat mo sa neutral pero nalalaspag naman ang transmission. Saka mo na lang ilipat sa neutral kapag naka stop ka sa traffic or stoplight.

I agree with you guys....

US consumer reports does not have any single reputable fuel saving device that works!!

though i bought a khaos already when i found that out..... too bad

just a suggestion though.... increasing the tire pressure by 2 psi from the recommended tire pressure will save gas by at least 3%........

Do fuel saving devices like Khaos or Vortex really work? Some have said that they really do save fuel, at the same time make your engine more powerful. But some also say that the long-term effects can be bad for the engine. Enlighten me, guys and gals! Thanks!

It is in the car manufacturers' best interests for them to come up with fuel saving schemes without compromising the product vehicle's reliability. A car's fuel consumption rating is a major selling point, though maybe more so in some economies than in others. Granted a car manufacturer's R&D department will have much more than a car's fuel economy to focus on, the amount of liberty and convenience at which they conduct their data mining and experimentation far exceeds that of an independent, largely unestablished individual, seeking the same ends albeit at a much lesser technologically intensive level.

The Khaos product claims to improve fuel economy by leaning out the fuel mixture. This may work in a carburetted vehicle (though not without risks--i.e., detonation), but would be almost always useless on a fuel-injected car. The Vortex product, on the other hand, if I'm to understand what it's supposed to do, attempts to achieve a more complete mixing of the fuel and the air, thus enhancing combustion. Granted the theory is sound, but how much more "swirling" can you do to the intake air of, say, a Honda (particularly the D-series which is advertised as employing the "tumble port" technology), of which company came the much acclaimed CVCC (controlled vortex combustion chamber) or stratified charge engine way back in the 70s?

Sounds like reinventing the wheel.

Low cost fuel additives, however, are more reasonable in my opinion. Oil companies have a vested interest in keeping the benefits of acetone out of public scrutiny. I haven't tried it myself, but I have good reason to believe it is unlikely to have damaging effects to both the fuel system and the engine itself. I had a friend who allegedly mixed what he estimates as a 60/40 cocktail of gasoline to acetone because he was pissed no commercially available fuel injector cleaner could clear his car's misfiring. Turns out he had an air intake leak around a couple of fuel injectors, but nonetheless, the car is still running and has not sustained any tangible decrease in its integrity and/or performance after that.

It may save little fuel but I dont believe it will increase the horses of our cars. More horses = More Energy Requirement = More Fuel thats just the way it is. If ever you will save on fuel its really insignificant. It really depends on your driving style and maintenance of your car and also load factor.

Not necessarily true, sir. By deduction, a car that uses less fuel per given distance, should in effect take you faster (i.e., will produce more power) if forced to use more fuel for the same given distance. Simply said, if a car travelled 10 Kms on a liter of gas, and then improved it's mileage so that now it would travel 13 Kms on a liter, it can therefore be concluded that the car would travel faster, if forced to consume that 1 liter in a lesser distance of 10 kms--the same rate of fuel consumption it had before.

This method of increasing HP is seldom applied, however, because the HP gains are derived solely from increasing the engine's efficiency. As of today's level of engine sophistication, piston engines are about as efficient as they can ever be and have very little room for improvement in that regard, hence the minimal gains. Usually, if anyone wanted more power from their engine, they would almost completely disregard efficiency, and go for the maximum power output available, regardless of the amount of energy from the fuel is wasted to the cooling system, internal friction, and exhaust systems.

maybe we could specify and compare car models/ driving conditions/ gas used to be more specific with observed effieciency/effectivity of these products

That's reasonable, but, what might work great for one car could make little if any difference on another. For instance, a Khaos "turbocharger" works by leaning the intake charge by diverting air around the throttle valve. While this may improve mileage on a maladjusted carb engine running too rich for its specifications to begin with, it would have no effect other than increase the idle rpm of an EFI-equipped car using a MAP sensor. Same thing with one fitted with a MAF sensor, so long as the air is diverted downstream from the sensor.

I've seen one "fuel-saving" device in the form of metallic alloy balls placed into the gasoline tank itself. This was proven to be a bogus. Even Khaos, as explained in the previous reply just "leans" the A/F mixture to "save" on gasoline. But take note that lean fuel has a negative impact on the lifespan of your sparkplugs and cylinder itself. Khaos actually has a variant for motorcycles called "Cyclos". The marketer for the product was asking for an endorsement from a prominent motorcycling site. The site admins answered by saying that they will do a "test run" against an identical motorcycle running on gasoline. The marketer never called back coz they knew that it was as simple as adjusting the A/F screw on the motorcylce carb. :)

Fuel saving devices works by improving the air circulation in your engine... i believe they can save fuel and add soem ponies in your ride, eh yun nga lang mag palit ka ng after market air filter can give you additional horse power and save fuel din diba??? but heres the catch in my opinion those increases is so small, its insignificant... if you want to save on fuel you have to change your driving style, wala munang baon sa pedal :)

• 1 month later...

i read somewhere the following:

2000rpm at 60-80kph on 5th gear (or top gear) is optimal. More than that, you'll burn more fuel to compensate for wind resistance. Less than that, i think it's also not optimal as you'll be running slower (therefore will take more time to get to your destinaton, thereby extending the running time of your engine).

Also I read that a clean, waxed car can also reduce wind resistance and therefore save fuel.