Fuel Saving Tips

Actually the Mazda 3 Manual states that you should avoid doing this. Also, am I supposed to brake first before I shift from N to D? But it does not have to be full stop right? Otherwise babagal ang takbo and then you have to start from the lower gears again.

ganun talaga, ok lang bumagal ang takbo. mas importante yung AT transmission hehe :)

full stop po as often as possible, siguro pag emergency lang puwede kang mag shift ng AT habang gumagalaw pa yung auto.

ganun talaga, ok lang bumagal ang takbo. mas importante yung AT transmission hehe :)

full stop po as often as possible, siguro pag emergency lang puwede kang mag shift ng AT habang gumagalaw pa yung auto.

ngyak. patay ako. lagi ko ginagawa yun e. pero la naman ako nararamdaman na parang kumakadyot siya pag nilagay ko sa drive. Smooth pa rin kasi takbo. Ang ginagawa ko pag nilagay ko from Neutral to Drive is di ko muna tinatapakan ang gas. Mga 1 second saka ako mag -gas pedal. Siguro kasi bago pa kaya ganun. Anyway, any of you guys here a car mechanic? Can I get a definite answer from a car expert? No offense to the rest who responded to my query.

ngyak. patay ako. lagi ko ginagawa yun e. pero la naman ako nararamdaman na parang kumakadyot siya pag nilagay ko sa drive. Smooth pa rin kasi takbo. Ang ginagawa ko pag nilagay ko from Neutral to Drive is di ko muna tinatapakan ang gas. Mga 1 second saka ako mag -gas pedal. Siguro kasi bago pa kaya ganun. Anyway, any of you guys here a car mechanic? Can I get a definite answer from a car expert? No offense to the rest who responded to my query.

bro sorry i dont understand tagalog but what are you doing?

Do you slide to N when in full stop at lights?

or

slide to N while coasting and then back to D without stopping?? For example u see the lights its red but ur far and u slide it to N and coast it then it goes back to green shift it back to D...

IF you are doing the second, then you are ruining ur transmission.

other tips;

-Automatic transmissions should be allowed to cool down when your car is idling at a standstill, e.g. railroad crossings, long traffic lights, etc. Place gear into neutral position. This reduces transmission strain and allows transmission to cool.

-Take the load off your engine during idle situations. Excessive idling is unavoidable especially during rush hours. You can take the load off your engine by placing the gear into neutral position when your car is idling or at a standstill. This reduces strain on the transmission. However, if you are anticipating a lengthy wait, simply turn off the engine.

Edited by luol_deng

Eto contri ko:

1. Brisk Acceleration is the key. The gasoline engine works more efficiently when running at higher RPM. So take advantage of that by getting to cruising speed quickly (but not aggressively, please drive safely).

2. Coast whenever you have the opportunity. Using the feather technique helps. By lifting your foot lightly from the accelerator-pedal. With good road conditions and a bit of practice, you'll find yourself doing this instinctively.

3. Look Ahead. If you see a light turning red in the distance, there's no reason to continue holding the accelerator-pedal.

4. Maintain your tire pressure.

5. Every 5,000 to 7,500 miles (8,000 to 12,000 km) the tires should be rotated, for best lifetime performance.

6. Efficiency drops the faster you drive on the highway. 60 MPH (96 km/h) is more efficient than 70 MPH (113 km/h). Speeding up to 75 MPH (121 km/h), you'll observe MPG drop even more. It pays to drive slower.

7. Short Trips are horribly inefficient for all vehicles. So try to run several errands at once to take advantage of an already warmed up gasoline engine.

8. Hitch Racks & Roof Carriers cause a lot of aerodynamic drag. So, expect a MPG drop when you use one.

9. Synthetic Oil - Owners have observed minor MPG improvements by switching to synthetic oil.

Plus, since it protects the engine better than real oil and makes extremely cold startups even easier, switching from real oil should be a simple choice.

10. Too much oil can decrease MPG. Verify the level is never above the max mark on the dipstick.

Unfortunately, overfilling is a problem commonly overlooked. Oil change services routinely pump oil from large barrels, rather than using quart-size bottles. That makes overfilling very easy to do. Taking a moment afterward to check afterward is truly beneficial.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Always check your air cleaner, many drivers doesn't know the importance of air cleaner in motor vehicles. This device is the heart of your car, it minimize all small particles that will penetrate into your internal combustion engine, in that case you are protecting the engine from overhauling.

2. Always tune up and change oil your vehicles to prolong the life of engine.

3. Perform the BLOWAG checking into your car before you use it.

B -Battery

L - Lights

O - Oil

W - Water

A - Ammeter or Alternator

G - Gasoline or dieesel

4. Never engage in emptying your fuel ( Diesel or Gasoline ) coz you are damaging the injection pump in diesel and the carburetor in gasoline.

5. If you hear a noise which is not normal let check it at once to avoid damaging the other parts of your car. Being good observer in your car makes lot of money saving and prolonging the life of your car as well as good performance of your car at all time.

• 2 weeks later...

my fuel saving tips..

1. in the freeway.. maintain your speed at 80 kph, 5th gear

2. ensure that you have the right air pressure for your tires

3. aligned wheels

4. as much as possible, tune up your engine every change oil, replace spark plugs

5. when you accelerate, don't step on the gas pedal drastically. do it gradually

• 3 months later...

i saw something about cruising in an automatic in n postion , according to most mechanics it is not good to coast in n i will damage the transmission "daw" how ever do take that advice because once i had my besta towed and the tower thought that my besta van was a matic so they towed it literally by putting it on a tow truck and then i ask do you always tow vehicles with this kind of tow trucks one you put on piggy backs he answered no because i though your besta had a matic transmission so apparently they are not joking about cruising in the N positon for matics because according to some mechanics they are not even supposed to be towed well at least if towed the driving wheels are raised. So it might be a worthwhile thing to do , not to put it in N while cruising,

I agree. Specially when getting something really light and handy.

Example: Just to buy a medicine, 4 kms away from your place

Using a car: on Gas @ 40 pesos per liter and consumption is 7.5km per liter on city

4kms will use up 0.53 liters

0.53 liters will cost 21 pesos (SA GAS PA LANG YAN) Engine wear? Parking?

Now if I ask my katuts to buy

15 pesos - balikan na

Pagmalapit lang ang pupuntahan, magkomute... (excersise din diba?)

pagmay gimik with tropa, isa lang ang gamit na kotse...

- unload unnecessary junk of your trunk. more weight means more work for your car to push/pull itself thus more fuel burned.

- uninstall overhead carrier (if u have 1 installed) when not being used as it creates aerodynamic drag.

- make sure your tires are properly inflated with manufacturer settings.

- dont put your aircon thermostat in full setting (coldest) all the time (esp at night).

- on a stop/go traffic, use the car's momentum to reach the next stop light / intersection (ex, by going to neutral/depressing clutch after ample acceleration). anticipate next stopping point to avoid abrupt stopping.

- avoid abrupt acceleration.

- the shortest distance between 2 points is a line. try to maintain a straight line while driving.

- avoid installing "fast and the furious" types of bodykits / spoilers / flairings. they add weight and aero drag and they dont really make your car faster (come to think of it, a 400hp BMW sedan doesn't have wings in it, does it?). if u insist in putting this stuff in your car (worthless junk IMO), install one that's at least light or one that was at least developed using a wind tunnel (bet u cant find one of these).

- avoid installing aftermarket wheel/tires thats: 1. to heavy 2. wrong size (2 big/2 small/2 wide). the wider the tire, the more rolling resistanse it has. it's a compromise b/w grip. IMHO, stock tire sizes are best suited for max fuel effeciency.

- dont neglect periodic maintenance (change oil, etc). a sound car is an effecient car.

- they say that when pumping in fuel, pump it slowly so that "air" would not be counted in the meter's indicator. -- not sure if this is true, just a tip i got from a taxi driver. anyway, there's no harm is practicing this.

Agree with you dude. Just to add couple of things,

- Plan your trip (so to avoid unnecessary trip that will definitely eat up alot of your gasoline; to get better direction with shorter distance and thus having more gasoline mileage

- Car pool

- Maintain a reasonable speed when driving

• 2 weeks later...

as to using the car's momentum.....it is called gliding.

when you have reached enough momentum between two points, let's say between p. faura and quirino along roxas blvd, and you anticipate that by the time you reach quirino, the stop light would be on, you can let go of the accelarator, and/or switch to neutral and let your car just glide through the road. this reduces your gasoline consumption in the long run..

Guest buru_tus

50liters/1,301KMs

26KM/liter

I think this should fall under false advertising

Is this possible to achieved under normal driving conditions????

Honda Civic beats fuel efficiency record

The new Civic 1.8S MT of "Team Honda" tested its limits and produced a new fuel efficiency record during the recent "Petron Xtra Mile Challenge," proving its claims to an engine that gives "2.0-li power with 1.5-li fuel consumption."

During the contest organized by Petron Corp., the Civic, which ran on "test-drive status," joined the competing teams to answer the challenge to travel the farthest distance (in kms) on one-full tank of gas, and ultimately beat the record of 1,114 kms (Pagudpud to Sorsogon) set by Philippine racing legend, Pocholo Ramirez.

The New Civic 1.8S MT

Six official teams of two members each participated aboard varied Hondas – Jazz and City. "Team Honda" was a guest participant, setting its own challenge run side-by-side Honda’s own fuel misers.

The contest started in Pagudpud to run out presumably somewhere in Sorsogon or Matnog at best – amounting to 1,170 kms.

Prediction for the 1.8 Civic ranged: For the skeptics, the car will stop at Lucena (699 kms); for the optimists, it shall breathe its last in Naga (957 kms). Reaching the city of Sorsogon and beating 1,114 kms was a tall challenge.

The day before the official start of the competition, the Civic’s 50-liter fuel tank was topped-up at Petron Bangui in Pagudpud.

Day 1: Pagudpud to Tarlac, 437 kms. Setting out at 5 a.m., the Civic took Laoag and Vigan with ease keeping rpm levels constant. Uphill climbs and overtaking slow vehicles remained a bliss at 1,500 rpm even in higher gears. The trip was uneventful until Team Honda dealt with a rush hour traffic at Urdaneta, Pangasinan, which consumed more gas as reckoned.

Day 2: Tarlac to Naga, 520 kms. NLEX, EDSA and SLEX were effectively traversed at a steady pace. The co-efficient of drag had to be minimized by running within the slipstream of the bigger support vehicle (CR-V) in front. Key here was to accelerate until 2000 rpm, shift to top gear and cruise steadily at 70 kph. With the new Civic’s organ-type pedal compared to the conventional hanging-type, the foot could remain nailed to the accelerator with nary a complaint.

With a total of 583 kms traveled until Petron SLEX, the Civic’s digital fuel meter indicated that only 40 percent of fuel was spent. Stakes went up as the goal of beating 1,114 kms became a near possibility. However, mingling with slow cargo trucks along the uphills of Quezon Province and poor road conditions en route Camarines Sur, overtaking and stop-and-go movement consumed more fuel as expected.

Day 3: Naga to Legazpi/Matnog, run-out (138 kms). With less than a fourth of fuel in the tank, the Civic’s 1.8li VTEC engine was put into the ultimate test in an effort to beat the 1,114 km record. The technique was to climb steep uphills/hairpin curves at 1,500 rpm at 5th gear to minimize shifting, which might cause the rpm needle to cross ranges. Steep downhills were negotiated using the engine brake so as not to lose the much needed power upon recovery; not to mention safety considerations.

The 1.8-li VTEC engine shamelessly displayed torque when the Civic negotiated sharp uphill bends at 5th gear with nary a knock or drag. They finally made it to 1,115 kms passing the spot where the Honda Jazz driven by Pocholo Ramirez ran dry.

The fuel indicator signaled warning at 1,078 kms while traversing uphill/downhill zigzags. The lights in the digital fuel meter went kaput at 1,154 kms. Sixteen kms away from Matnog, the members and support group to Team Honda braced themselves for the eventual end.

"Welcome to Matnog Ferry Terminal. You are leaving the island of Luzon." The 1.8 Civic finally made it to the last town of Luzon Island – establishing a whooping record of 1,199 kms, defying all predictions and challenging the rest of the competing teams. Pushing luck and running on reserve, the 1.8 Civic crossed over Allen, Samar and backtracked Bicol Region.

Day 4: Matnog to run-out. Team Honda’s adventure ended at 1,301 kms., finally stopping at Bgy. Del Rosario, Pilar, Sorsogon.

The national auto club, Automobile Association Philippines (AAP) and the Car Awards Group, Inc. (CAGI) observed the entire run to ensure that the teams performed according to the contest rules and conditions drawn by the organizers. For the record, Team Zayco Hermanos (Emilio and Emmanuel) of Bacolod City won the Petron Xtra Mile Challenge posting 1,400 kms from one full tank aboard their Honda Jazz CVT. Second place was Team Asuncion (Michael and Grace) of Nueva Ecija posting 1,390 kms, while third place was earned by Team AR (Ron de los Reyes and Julienne Cruz).

as to using the car's momentum.....it is called gliding.

when you have reached enough momentum between two points, let's say between p. faura and quirino along roxas blvd, and you anticipate that by the time you reach quirino, the stop light would be on, you can let go of the accelarator, and/or switch to neutral and let your car just glide through the road. this reduces your gasoline consumption in the long run..

I don't recommend disengaging gears by shifting to neutral. Your tires lose traction and if there's a need for emergency stopping, there's no engine braking. Safety outweighs other considerations, including saving on fuel, long run or not.

I once read an article in a broadsheet sometime ago saying you should even switch off the engine when all you have ahead of you is open road - just to conserve gasoline. Nothing could've been more harebrained.

I don't recommend disengaging gears by shifting to neutral. Your tires lose traction and if there's a need for emergency stopping, there's no engine braking. Safety outweighs other considerations, including saving on fuel, long run or not.

I once read an article in a broadsheet sometime ago saying you should even switch off the engine when all you have ahead of you is open road - just to conserve gasoline. Nothing could've been more harebrained.

Kaninong article yan at anong broadsheet yan? Patay na siguro sumulat nung article na yan :D

50liters/1,301KMs

26KM/liter

I think this should fall under false advertising

Is this possible to achieved under normal driving conditions????

Honda Civic beats fuel efficiency record

palagay ko hindi normal driving conditions yan.

malamang they have to make the car as light as possible (walang spare tire, tools, etc.)

di pinagana ang aircon (baka nga tinangal pa)

there was no mention kasi about the condition of the car they tested

tsaka maintaining speed at 70kph parang nababagalan ako dyan

para matipid haluan mo ng .50 liter na kerosene ang every 2liters na gasoline mo. sigurado matipid at safe pa makina ninyo.

I don't think it is a good idea since kerosene melts rubber parts in your carburetor (o-rings and seals). This practice is being done on deisel engines only to add more power on steep climbs. Injection pumps for deisel engines has less rubber parts.

Baka ehto pa

- Tinanggal bumbers

- Tinaggal back seats, tinangal passenger seat

- ung driver seat, monobloc chair na lang

- Tinaggal stereo, speakers, antenna

- No tools, not even ewd

- Driver is a midget or a malnourised geek under 100lbs at bawal kumain during the trip,

peeing or taking a dump pwede, inahit pa ung buhok to the scalp, wala na teeth, hubo't hubad, no shoes

palagay ko hindi normal driving conditions yan.

malamang they have to make the car as light as possible (walang spare tire, tools, etc.)

di pinagana ang aircon (baka nga tinangal pa)

there was no mention kasi about the condition of the car they tested

tsaka maintaining speed at 70kph parang nababagalan ako dyan

Edited by lomex32