Fuel Saving Tips

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
it's better kung sa highway ka dadadaan yung walang masyadong traffic lights or stops

ive been consistently getting 9+km/li, i can get a 10+km but that would be a bit of a squeeze

when i almost hit 11+km/li, it is attributed that there were less (minimal) traffic on the road

i also find shifting at 2k rpm gives better mileage. if your on cai, try @ 3k rpm. see if it applies on you

you can also try using the car's torque to move you around. did this on megamall's ramp from 4/f til exit

do not do this if you are not comfortable at all. don't risk of having an accident with another motorist

i haven't compared though if there were any fuel savings by turning off the airconditioning

if you can, always put a full tank of gas everytime you make a trip to a gasoline station rather than loading gas bit by bit....

if your weekly gas consumption is 1400 pesos, load the 1400 of gas at one time rather than putting 200 pesos a day....especially on diesel...

i dont know if this make sense to anyone but based on my experience it lasts longer when i do it this way..

I think i can explain this...if you have a full tank of gas, then there's not much air in the fuel tank meaning, evaporation is limited thus fuel is saved, dba lesser fuel will have a greater surface area sa fuel tank therefore chances of evaporation is greater whereas a full tank will have lesser surface area therefore evaporation is less...I noticed na mas nakakatipid pag full tank parati, so half full palang nagkakarga na ako ng gas...im no Einstein so correct me if im wrong, this is just my hypothesis

the gas tank is sealed when its closed so if ever the liquid fuel is transformed into gaseous form it stays in the tank, it does not evaporate into the air unless you have a leak somewhere in the fuel system of your car. You will experience a loss of gas due to evaporation only when you open the gas tank to fill up more fuel especially in a hot time of the day, if you fill up SLOW on a hot day the more chances gas evaporation loss will set in

since this process gets reversed the volume of gas that went inside your gas tank would remain the same unless your engine burn the fuel or you open the seal of your gas tank

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The most important consideration is that you bought the right vehicle - small (or at least, not SUV-sized) and preferably a diesel. Manual transmission is the best. If mercedes ever came out with a 7-speed stick shift, 1 liter turbodiesel mini car, I'd bite instantly.

But assuming you are stuck with whatever heavy lump of metal you got, the next consideration is road cruising speed. The speed has to be as low as possible and still let the engine (barely) run clean. For most cars, this means 60 - 70 km/h at top gear, where the revs are at just 2000 RPM or so - a little lower revs and the engine start to run rough and efficiency drops.

I will not go into the usual details about smooth starts and such. For one I mostly do distance driving where I cruise at speed for hours.

Last consideration is car mechanical condition - engine tune, tirepressure, and air filters (ETA).

So maximum fuel efficiency boils down to (in order of importance):

1. smart enough to get the right vehicle

2. disciplined enough to drive slow

3. experienced enough to understand car mechanics.

LC

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Tornado Fuel Saver.

It came out a few years back in Canada and US.

i bought this for my E46 a few years ago... basically, its a turbine-looking cylinder that fits into your air intake.

check out ebay.... there's a hundred other brands and types now.

personally, i didnt notice a difference.

but others have nothing but good to say about it.

Accelerate with care

Jack-rabbit starts are an obvious fuel-waster -- but that doesn't mean you should crawl away from every light. If you drive an automatic, accelerate moderately so the transmission can shift up into the higher gears. Stick-shifters should shift early to keep the revs down, but don't lug the engine -- downshift if you need to accelerate. Keep an eye well down the road for potential slowdowns. If you accelerate to speed then have to brake right away, that's wasted fuel.