Supplements - to Take or Not to Take?

the best supplements after work out are whey and creatine. However, you should also eat carbs to replenish the glycogen that was "used" up after your work...

the thermogenics i suggest are Hydroxycut Hardcore, Xenadrine Hardcore or Hotrox...just my suggestion...noah

what creatine brand would you suggest and how many grams of it must be taken? btw, is it also advisable to take creatine before workouts, because i've read that it enhances strength and provides more energy during workouts.

what creatine brand would you suggest and how many grams of it must be taken? btw, is it also advisable to take creatine before workouts, because i've read that it enhances strength and provides more energy during workouts.

although most brands are the pretty much the same, but some brands have higher milligrams per servings...i have tried brands such as EAS, Pinnacle and Cell-tech by Muscletech but I find them tooo expensive so I switched to Precision Engineered due to better value per serving and I still feel the same results...I take 1/2 of recommended before and the other 1/2 after working out...Yes, you can take creatine before your workouts but I also take them after working out since creatine helps in flushing in nutrients and water into your muscle cells for better growth... noah

Will it be OK if I also take WHEY though I'm more on the "trim down" program?  And I guess Amino Acid is a good muscle repair supplement to be taken after workouts?

yes, it's ok provided that you don't take more than the recommended 1 to 1.5 grams/lbs. of bodyweight since you are on the trim down program and could be used as meal replacements...if you are working out, taking it is most beneficial since it builds and repair damaged muscle cells...taking amino after work out is the same as taking whey protein since most wheys contain all the 8 BCAA (branch chain amino acids)...noah

Amino acids are the building blocks of protein. Some foods lack some amino acids which other foods have, this is one of the reasons some foods are paird together (corn and carrots)

If one is on a diet phase, the most important thing is not what supplements you take but you ensure that you burn more calories than that which you consume

Just a note...

Prior to taking a supplement for the first time, please check with your doctor and/or have him check your kidney/liver and any other organs that may be get affected...Plus, start off your dosage at 1/2 of the recommended for 3-7 days and monitor closely of any changes/reactions to your body...Reactions may include but not limited to upset stomach, diarrhea, skin itching, pimples, mood swing, etc.. Reactions depends on what kind of supplements you are taking...noah

although most brands are the  pretty much the same, but some brands have higher milligrams per servings...i have tried brands such as EAS, Pinnacle and Cell-tech by Muscletech but I find them tooo expensive so I switched to Precision Engineered due to better value per serving and I still feel the same results...I take 1/2 of recommended before and the other 1/2 after working out...Yes, you can take creatine before your workouts but I also take them after working out since creatine helps in flushing in nutrients and water into your muscle cells for better growth... noah

thanks for the infos bro. should i only drink whey protein supplement before/after workouts or i can also drink it everyday?

although most brands are the  pretty much the same, but some brands have higher milligrams per servings...i have tried brands such as EAS, Pinnacle and Cell-tech by Muscletech but I find them tooo expensive so I switched to Precision Engineered due to better value per serving and I still feel the same results...I take 1/2 of recommended before and the other 1/2 after working out...Yes, you can take creatine before your workouts but I also take them after working out since creatine helps in flushing in nutrients and water into your muscle cells for better growth... noah

btw, where do you buy your Precision Engineered creatine and how much is it? i checked at GNC and Health & Beyond if they sell Prolab or American Creatine but unfortunately they only sell Twinlab. They sell 60 capsules for P1,750 whereas over the net you can order it for $11.75 onlym equivalent to P658. any place where it's cheaper to buy? thanks

Too much protein is not good for our body.

I disagree with this. If you're in a bulking up stage, you should be worried if you're taking enough protein.

This thought has been perpetuated by doctors who suggests that the RDA for protein is 0.4 grams per pound of body weight. Well, that may be enough for sedentary individuals. But for us who are resistance-trained, we can't afford to take that RDA.

In the field of bodybuilding, the accepted RDA is 1 gram or protein per pound of body weight. More would be better.

There is no known disease that came from eating "too much" protein. However, digesting more protein requires our kidneys to work harder (hence the myth by doctors that too much protein is bad for our kidneys). You can help your kidneys carry out the work by drinking lots of water, much more than the standard 8 glasses per day. Eat more protein, drink more water, and you have nothing to worry.

There are so many articles regarding protein consumption and the debunking of "too much protein" myth at bodybuilding.com.

how about focusing on cleaning up your diet first before adding in anything?

Very true. When are these kids going to wake up to the reality that supplements, with the exception of essential vitamins and minerals, will make little, if ANY difference in their gains or losses?

BODYBUILDING AND FITNESS MAGAZINES DEPEND ON SUPPLEMENT ADVERTISING TO MAKE A PROFIT. We've even had money offered to us to carry local (overpriced) whey protein in our branches and push it on our members who trust us. I won't sell out.

Yon po yung ibig kong sabihin. Too much protein would make our kidneys work harder.

Like I said, drink more water and you'll be fine while consuming "too much" protein. Water will ease out the kidneys' task of excreting more urea, so no harm will be done to your kidneys.

I was worried that there are others reading this thread who are in "bulking up" goal and may be worried that "too much" protein can hurt them.

Yung iba po kasing nagtatanong about sa whey, ang gusto nila magpapayat. Eh pag uminom ka ng too much protein macoconvert lang sa fats.

Now this what makes me say HUH??!!. If they want to lose those unwanted fats, why they set their eyes on whey protein??!! I don't get it. If they want to lose fat, they must start with the basic. They must be in caloric deficit (calories intake less than calories used). How to do that: Get more cardio, intense cardio (sirain nyo yung treadmill at iba pang cardio equipment sa gym). Then look at your diet. You don't really have to reduce carbs (but most of the time, you have to). Choose your carbs sources. For more info on this, try researching glycemic index. Know what to eat and when Whey is not the way to lose fat!!!

Drinking too much whey would make our sweat stinking. Meron kasi yong amino acids, pero di yon nangyayari sa lahat. Nung first few months kung uminom bumaho pawis ko, ngyon ok na.

Here's the answer:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ammonia.htm

Once again, water intake can be a factor here. You don't have to wait to feel thirsty to take another gulp. How much water were you drinking then?

Pag di ka nagbubulk up, and uminom ka ng whey na mahigit sa recomended dosage, bale wala lang din.

I agree. And besides, whey cost a lot of $$$. The best time to drink whey is after workout and your first meal of the day (breakfast), the day after your workout.

Also di lahat ganon kasanay uminom ng protein so I RECOMEND na 1 up to two servings lang. Tayo sanay na , eh pano yung iba????

Asian tyo, di lahat tayo recomended uminom ng dairy products which includes whey. I forgot lang yung term sa tin kung bakit ganon.

Lactose intolerant? Thank goodness, I'm not one =)

Final word: If you're in BULKING UP, you don't have to be worried about "too much" protein. You can eat even as much as more than 1 gram per pound of bodyweight. Just make sure you're drinking MORE plain water.

Edited by jaymz

The "Pro" of Impact is that they support local athletes.

The "Con" of Impact is that they are very expensive.

Too much protein makes you fat as well. As was said earlier, everything in moderation. I have a member who was complaining that he was getting steadily fatter. I first asked him how much protein he was eating. He said, "the protein is fine..I'm eating 30-40 grams per meal, at least 5 times per day".

I told him to reduce his protein intake to 20 grams per meal. Suddenly his gas and bloated stomach went away, and he began to lose fat.

Hi guys,

I have been going to the gym for the past 2 years and lately i have reached a plateau. I would like to gain a few more pounds of lean mass and at the same time lossing a few inches of fat.

someone recommended that i take 1ml of sustanol once a week for 6-10 weeks saying this would give my workout a boost (also good for libido and stamina :P )

I would appreiate any suggestions from those in the know. Is Sustanol 'safe' at this dosage? What other steroids are available that arent harmful and dont have side effects?

b4 i used testosterone enanthate, i had 2 shot every wk 500mg/shot 4 10wks, after i had a 2wks of zma's, novaldex n clomid to bring bak ur natural testosterone level, nagstostop magrelease ng testo ur body because of the injections u have, and if u hve budget u can have a shot of growth hormone at the end of ur 10th wk

b4 i used testosterone enanthate, i had 2 shot every wk 500mg/shot 4 10wks, after i had a 2wks of zma's, novaldex n clomid to bring bak ur natural testosterone level, nagstostop magrelease ng testo ur body because of the injections u have, and if u hve budget u can have a shot of growth hormone at the end of ur 10th wk

let us please try to encourage natural training as a lot already know steroids are dangerous and the effects are not pleasurable. Besides, most people who take steroids don't really know how to properly take them and take them because they are lazy and impatient in getting results