Masi,

There is an image of you I have....please do not miscontrue and look at the obvious association...If the Phil. would have its version of the "Queer Eye for the straight Guy"...I think you would fit the gourmand role in it...I don't know why, but something feels right ????

Maybe the costly PEN you have in your avatar is andication of your finer tastes...My guess too, would be your handle MASI would be a brand of something expensive???  Let me try and find out. :-)

The images of you an Bods 1000 and maybe the rest of the guys here at this forum is that of Metrosexuals... please... not to be taken as anything derogatory, but more as a compliment.  Or maybe...I just know too many beer-guzzling, burping men.

ugh!

I'm as jologs as jologs can be...

As Celine Lopez said - will anybody please strike off metrosexuals from the vocabulary? It's such a ludicrous word. The guy who coined that grossness should be mixed in in a vat fermenting Carlo Rossi :sick: :wacko:

:)  Hehe and part of today's discovery is that some of the boys have some small crush on me. I wonder why???? :rolleyes:  :lol: 

*back read ulit*

how come this comment comes to me with the same expectation i would have for any shiraz or a cabernet sauvignon.... *strikers ... no surprise, senorita!!!!

Edited by masi
Masi,

There is an image of you I have....please do not miscontrue and look at the obvious association...If the Phil. would have its version of the "Queer Eye for the straight Guy"...I think you would fit the gourmand role in it...I don't know why, but something feels right ????

Maybe the costly PEN you have in your avatar is andication of your finer tastes...My guess too, would be your handle MASI would be a brand of something expensive???  Let me try and find out. :-)

The images of you an Bods 1000 and maybe the rest of the guys here at this forum is that of Metrosexuals... please... not to be taken as anything derogatory, but more as a compliment.  Or maybe...I just know too many beer-guzzling, burping men.

HAHAHAHAHA!!! :boo: :boo: Never thought of it that way, though I like to cook. It's a passion that goes hand-in-hand with my liking for wine (which agxo and bods are helping me expand) and cigars (bods, I think you ought to open a thread on cigars, pipes and single malts!!! call it the tinder box!). I do not have fine taste rather, I have acquired things purposely as I go through life. MASI, is an open secret ! It's a brand of an Italian racing bike frame named after the the builder,Maximilliano Masi, which I owned before I took up a different sport. There is also a wine label known as Masi. Good thing you tagged me with the gourmand and not the fashion consultant!!!!! :sick: But, I would rather be my own. Hmmm, seems like you are an experienced profiler?

Metrosexuals?!!! Please, no branding. As far as I know, the love for wine drives this thread and we are all here to share experiences, from green apple to wine expert. We chose to drink wine more than beer, albeit we, well I, could still drink it.

Edited by masi
good morning, folks!

ok before we pop the first cork for the day, let me share with you this bit of a downright amusing news.

Ever heard of a talking wine label? :P

Seems an Italian firm has patented a microchip embedded ( I love that word!) in a wine label. It comes in its usual square or rectangular form and the plastic label can be removed and "read" in a special Walkman-like device ( which you also have to buy). The manufacturer or a person then tells you details about the wine - like vintage, region, the origin of the grapes in the wine, the winery, etc.

Kinda stupefying, would you agree? hehehe

It says this is the ultimate safeguard against fraud and counterfeit wines, which seems so rampant these days....

Of course this would appear only on high-end brands....

cheers!

this is good reading bods!  Good morning!  I guess as long as there are quality products in the market, trust that there are  counterfeits shadowing it.

I would still like to see traditional labelling.  Maybe the "purist" in me.  I hope those tags will be hidden and away from the labels.  A good place to put them would be between the cork and the foil.  Better yet, come up  that technology to make flex circuits where the circuit is imbedded in the foil already.

Wine label information:

1. Name of winery

2. Appellation - Name of the winegrowing region. 

3. Name of the vineyard(s)

4. Varietal name - If there is no varietal name, the wine is probably a blend (cuvee).  To be able to call a wine by the varietal name, it must contain at least 75% of wine from that grape. Traditional wines from France, Italy, and Spain, use the place of origin instead of the varietal.

5. Vintage - The year the grapes were grown. If there is no vintage, it is probably a mixture of wines made in different years. 

Some labels have other technical data such as percentage of varietals if it is a blend, residual sugar, percentage alcohol, etc. 

--- Other Information Found on Wine Labels ---

"Cellared and Bottled By" means that the winery bought the wine and bottled it.

"Made and Bottled By" means that the winery made at least 10% of the wine.

"Produced and Bottled By" means that the winery made at least 75% of the wine.

"Estate Bottled" means that the winery not only made 100% of the wine but also grew the grapes on land owned by the winery.

"Vintner's Reserve," "Estate Reserve" or "Select" etc. - Terms like these have no set (or legal) meaning, although within certain wineries these terms may have specific meaning.  Labeling laws and requirements will vary between countries.

Yup, all that IS on the label, and if someone wanted to counterfeit something badly enough, and if it were lucrative enough, why then even that chip could be faked!

But, it would make the counterfeiting MORE difficult - kinda like having a burglar alarm. It does NOt stop crime, but it does encourage the criminal to go ply his trade elsewhere.

AND - more important, it could expand on what's on the label, and give you much more detail, such as date of harvest, brix at harvest, any notes on fermentation or aging, wine tasting notes, some pictures of the winery, vineyards and winemaker, and on and on.

All the technology required to make this exists, down to making the silicon chip flexible - all you have to do is shave the silicon down a bit and voila! - flexible chips! These chips are already embedded in may applications, from SIM cards to the credit cards to the Octopus Cards used on Hongkong's public transportation system.

Masi,

Hey! That sounds just like me!!! I'm as far from the dreaded "metrosexual" as you can get. Maong every day, even to work. I don't bother to make sure my shirts are pressed. I'm not the most refined individual around. Nothing fancy or fashionable for me!

Now Paris and Nicole - este, Masi and Bods, pala! - that's another matter altogether. I have visions of them in the latest silk shirts and soft Italian loafers, racy shades on even at night, puffing away on those fragrant cigars and sipping their wine from nothing but the finest Reidels, pinkies in the air as they lift their goblets daintily to their lips. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey! That sounds just like me!!! I'm as far from the dreaded "metrosexual" as you can get. Maong every day, even to work. I don't bother to make sure my shirts are pressed. I'm not the most refined individual around. Nothing fancy or fashionable for me!

Now Paris and Nicole - este, Masi and Bods, pala! - that's another matter altogether. I have visions of them in the latest silk shirts and soft Italian loafers, racy shades on even at night, puffing away on those fragrant cigars and sipping their wine from nothing but the finest Reidels, pinkies in the air as they lift their goblets daintily to their lips.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

nope.. not even in your imagination, agxo... no loafers, no silk shirts, no racy shades, not even reidels just 2 good, experienced guys discovering the wines that are available this side of the world. as for the cigars, local brands... though we might venture into some cubans and dominicans, everytime time the moon turns blue... :lol:

that was a good one.... :D

yes, pare, 23 July 2004 was the date when you ventured to the unknown of this board, not knowing what to expect, but merely a passion for wine in tow.

Congratulations...let's get together to drink to a year of learning, discoveries, friendships, irreverence, sympathies and empathy, fun and awards!!!!  Quits na tayo!!!  (well, only until agxo arrives!)

thanks, pare, I didn't know if anybody would bite when I opened the thread almost a year ago, but it has surprisingly become a vehicle to get to know wine-derful people like you and lips and agxo (whom we wish to meet someday) and eagleyes and spurt and everybody....

And now for a whole weekend's worth of replies, posts and assorted non-sequiturs...........

Wow!  A year! AND 1500 posts!

More! More! What a thread - it's got EVERYTHING! Wine, women and ....song??? Wait - who' singing Happy Birthday to the thread? Not me - I can't sing worth a damn.  :wacko:

Ha! Bolero ka talaga.  :thumbsupsmiley: No wonder you're so popular with the ladies. You've contributed many a memorable review to this thread. I don't see as many Aussie and Kiwi wines here as you guys do, so reading about those fills a huge void in my knowledge of the fruits of the vine.

Oh, sorry to hear that. And doubly sorry that I can't recommend drinking wine as an antidote to your ailment. Would have made a great way to recover!!!  :lol:  Hope you're feeling better......

now what was that?!!! :blink: :P

pare you might have messed up your quotes but the sentiment is there!

wine, women and song....what more can you ask for? never imagined the lyrics of Carly Simon and Carole King would get posted in a thread like this :P

pare, fyi, I might be flirtatious but never was I bolero and never will I be popular with the ladies...either you are misreading the posts or you've had one drop too many :P

I can't review wines properly like you and masi - it seems I have a problem articulating what I smell, feel and taste - but if you had read any good review of mine, thanks a lot for your appreciation.

cheers!

Merryvale is available here I think through Bacchus - i gotta check on your recommendation. Thanks!

on the minis, ahem,  :) bods and i have to work very hard and check the merchandise one by one, inch by inch... hey, it's a dirty job,  :hypocritesmiley: but somebody has to do it!!!! :evil: so by the time you're here... it's quality assured!!! B)

hmmmm :wacko:  how come no one is taking credit for the success of this thread.... common guys and gals, let's just all say, we made it happen!!!... individual and collective... none of this success would have happened if one or the entire wine drinking machinery was not  in order... so we all deserve it!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

I don't have the faintest idea what was on LNPM's mind when she thought of comparing us to Paris and Nicole. :blink:  Before any of you get those funny ideas,  stuff :lol:  it with a cork!!! <_<

you don't sing?  well, i'm sure you can belt a line of  Ol' Blue Eyes with a wine goblet in hand...  Bods, seems like we'll have "karay-oki" night when agxo's here!!!! :lol:

well a sing-along sounds like a great idea! But I do hope to get plastered first before I sing....Days of Wine and Roses :P

ok pare you check the skirts while I check what's behind them ooopsss :hypocritesmiley:

Just a quick one to say hello because the internet connection here in Bangkok is fookin' unstable!

Been sober all day and am thinking if I wanna be brazen and grab some alcohol with the Truth Well Told crew.  It has been a day with a lonngggggggggggggg finish like wine that is immensely enjoyable.  Am actually having fun at this revenue creation workshop -- I love learning. :)  Hehe and part of today's discovery is that some of the boys have some small crush on me. I wonder why???? :rolleyes: Could it be the cussing? :lol: 

*back read ulit*

well, has the small crush turned to a monumental something today? :P

or did you stay sober?

let me brazenly state on everyone's behalf that we miss you here!

cheers!

Thanks..I am well na! but...still have this bad cough...

anyways..anyhows....grabe! it is great to read the posts talaga though I cant contribute much on the wine thingy...

wow..don't you think the group should celebrate more! Let's plan for an anniv party. In the party..we will have the awards night too! whatchatink..that sounds fun..aight?

who will sing the HAPPY BIRTHDAY song...hmm since I cannot contribute much on the wine info... I can volunteer to sing the BIRTHDAY song!!! :P heheheh..yun nga lang..make sure you are not too intoxicated ha..baka you'll throw the bottles sa akin! :P

LET's CELEBRATE!!!!!!!

eh how will you sing, hindi ka naman punta sa mga WEB? :rolleyes:

Awards night? hmmmm....but we are so few here, there may not be that many choices - baka magkaroon pa ng scam!!!

sige we'll keep you posted as your tito masi will arrange some sort of a party hehehe

Masi,

Being compared to Paris and Nicole (of the fashionista fame) is a compliment....Iconic status yan!!! Better than Beavis and Butthead.

But seriously..you guys really know what you are talking about. Mo doubt.  I guess it takes time and money to get to that level of appreciation.

Cheers!!!

I prefer Beavis and Butthead - I'm really crass and crude and ill-mannered.

masi is my polar opposite because he has the time and money :lol:

now that you mention it, I miss those two idiots - teka mahalungkat nga yung video nila.

watching their inanities is akin to drinking bad wine in an already inebriated state :P

hi cutie... glad to know you are feeling well.  ok when you attend our sessions,  i will bring a bottle of sparking grape juice!!!!  well, visually it could pass for sparkling wine.

yeah, have a good 1!

YAHOO..bait talaga TITO MASI!!!! :P You are really so sweet...sige that is nice then I can pretend na lang na wine drinker ako..hehehe..who knows i might be posting my views on sparkling wines..as if! :P thanks Tito Masi... ;) and by the way...sabay mo na din ako papuntang EB...hehehehe :P

ugh!

I'm as jologs as jologs can be...

As Celine Lopez said - will anybody please strike off metrosexuals from the vocabulary? It's such a ludicrous word. The guy who coined that grossness should be mixed in in a vat fermenting Carlo Rossi :sick:  :wacko:

Ay...I can attest to that! kaya lang ikaw..jologs with taste! naks!

eh how will you sing, hindi ka naman punta sa mga WEB? :rolleyes:

Awards night? hmmmm....but we are so few here, there may not be that many choices - baka magkaroon pa ng scam!!!

sige we'll keep you posted as your tito masi will arrange some sort of a party hehehe

what do you mean di ako punta sa mga WEB? eh kaya nga kung mag anniv party..sama ako! :P dala pa Tito Masi ng sparkling wine for me. Ok lang few...we will make the most out of it..hehehee....as if I am good in events.. :P will do best ;) hehehehehe kaso you are right..attendance will be low..but we will see..we will play it by ear..but if the group plans to..will help in the planning and coordination!

Edited by heavygatin_but_cutie
Hi LNPM,

Great to hear from you again!  I have to correct your impression on the appreciation and knowledge that we hold on wine.  Frankly, I don't have much info except for what bods and agxo and the rest of the crew post as well as, the private research I do.  Well, if you call reading magazine articles research :wacko: ?

The time and moolah spent in appreciating wine are determined by the passion you have for it.  It is perhaps no different from girls wanting to have the latest in bags, shoes, clothes.  I my case, just as everyone here, if I maybe allowed to speak for them, would be wines and (plus, a few other things).

Thanks for the "Paris and Nicole" branding, altho watching them leaves really strong tannins, but still better than Beavis and Butthead :angry: which I would like to compare to really bad Chinese wines! I wonder what you would be calling the group if the group regulars have reached 5? Do you tag us the "Fab 5"? :lol: (Boy, I better learn a thing or 2 about branding, brand equity and advertising?  Any teacher in the house?)

you said it well, pare...

as for me, I try to share what I read - I think this is the whole point of the thread - not just to review wines but also to share information and try to learn as much as you can from each other (about wines, I mean, hehehe)

hehehe pare, Fab 5 doesn't sound fab at all :P

I read this news where members of the wine community in London did a Full Monty infront of an all-female crowd in a charity to raise money for I think prostate cancer research. They called themselves the Semillons and the event was a rousing success.

nope.. not even in your imagination, agxo... no loafers, no silk shirts, no racy shades, not even reidels  just 2 good, experienced guys discovering the wines that are available this side of the world.  as for the cigars, local brands... though we might venture into some cubans and dominicans, everytime time the moon turns blue... :lol:

that was a good one.... :D

Do I get an award for that one? :lol: :cool:

now what was that?!!! :blink:  :P

pare you might have messed up your quotes but the sentiment is there!

wine, women and song....what more can you ask for? never imagined the lyrics of Carly Simon and Carole King would get posted in a thread like this :P

pare, fyi, I might be flirtatious but never was I bolero and never will I be popular with the ladies...either you are misreading the posts or you've had one drop too many :P

I can't review wines properly like you and masi - it seems I have a problem articulating what I smell, feel and taste - but if you had read any good review of mine, thanks a lot for your appreciation.

cheers!

Merryvale is available here I think through Bacchus - i gotta check on your recommendation. Thanks!

Bods, you are way, way, way too modest! You deserve to be taking a bow :cool: for bringing this group together!

well a sing-along sounds like a great idea! But I do hope to get plastered  first before I sing....Days of Wine and Roses :P

ok pare you check the skirts while I check what's behind them ooopsss :hypocritesmiley:

And after you check behind the skirts, can I check under them? :cool:

It's going to take more than a few drinks to get me to the point where I'll sing......I KNOW how bad I am! :sick: But I am more than willing to listen and applaud! :cool:

this is good reading bods!  Good morning!  I guess as long as there are quality products in the market, trust that there are  counterfeits shadowing it.

I would still like to see traditional labelling.  Maybe the "purist" in me.  I hope those tags will be hidden and away from the labels.  A good place to put them would be between the cork and the foil.  Better yet, come up  that technology to make flex circuits where the circuit is imbedded in the foil already.

yeah pare, a microchip in a wine bottle somehow diminishes the romance in it...

but inventing a "talking label" to counteract fraud is similar to using an ax to k*ll a fly - way too over! :D