Ok I think I deserve to receive an award for being the Monologue Queen! :lol:  I have the lousiest timing ever!  When everyone is here am often stuck somewhere in U.N. attending to my amba duties!  And this sucks like cheap wine! Ha ha ha ha.

oh!!! we have a diplomat on board... on behalf of the board, we would like to express our highest esteem for Her Royal Highness' gracious presence. :rolleyes:

by the time you read this post, i have done my share of monologues... :blink:

Bods, we have a single-malt!!!!

Hephep! Did I hear single malt????? :D

Henny Penny, Chicken Licken, Foxy Loxy, Turkey Lurkey.... yup...these were characters in pre-school books which i read for my daughter, which speaks much of the literature i perused. ;)

i would recommend that you buy the tempranillo (i finally got it right, bods!) at Barcino's.  in fact get at least 2 so you could take 1 to our next WEB!!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  if you didn't hear our earlier request for cuban cigars hija, senorita...you heard this one!...if not, sayang maganda ka pa naman... :upside:  :upside:

drink faster than i could talk ... you better believe it!!! B)

Hahahaha well pare I have read the same books too twice over because of my two daughters!

2? Di naman kaya ako parang wine-aholic nyan? :blink:

:lol:

Waitamonumento.... parang am losing my hearing again. :upside: Sanay naman akong pangit tingin sa akin.

:lol: AWARD!!!! ha ha ha

oh!!! we have a diplomat on board...  and on behalf of the board, we would like to express our highest esteem for Her Royal Highness' gracious  presence. :rolleyes:

by the time you read this post, i have done my share of monologues... :blink:

Wahahahahahaha. HEH! And now you truly deserve an AWARD Senyorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

:thumbsupsmiley:

yup! bods and i had developed a collective fondness for the beautiful, captivating and alluring in all forms, size, color, shape, taste.... :goatee:

no bar wenches in Barcino's except maybe when bods and i start to wear skirts ;) ...and start dancing the fandango and flamenco...hmmm, must be the fat and oil in those tapas more than the alcohol in the tempranillo and shiraz ... :lol:  :wacko:

in reponse to your question in my presscon... hija, i need not reply to the obvious....  B) my cousin and i come from the same vine, but i must add, i have a better vintage... :lol:  :boo:  (bods, this reply is not OT nor would you think i'm drunk responding to this post!!!!)

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee don't make suot skirts!!! You boys might attract more men than I ever will! Maawa ka sa mga katulad ko!!! :lol:

I have to agree SENYORrrrrrrr ..... you definitely have better vintage. Three cheers to vintaged men. :rolleyes:

Hephep!  Did I hear single malt????? :D

Hahahaha well pare I have read the same books too twice over because of my two daughters! 

2?  Di naman kaya ako parang wine-aholic nyan? :blink:

:lol:

Waitamonumento.... parang am losing my hearing again. :upside:  Sanay naman akong pangit tingin sa akin.

:lol:  AWARD!!!! ha ha ha

buenas dias, senorita!!! you're up and about early today...

the 2 bottles of tempranillo are just right.. you can tell the lady that you are buying it for those 2 guys who drank the same the other night...i'm sure she'll remember us for consuming her stock and filling up the store with cigar smoke... not to mention, the cash register ringing. B)

astig, talaga! it seems that your hearing won't budge... gee, i wonder what would? :)

walang pangit sa mundo! I know coz, aside from wines and pens, I collect art and I see beauty in everything. Remember, we all come from the same vine :hypocritesmiley: (that was truly an award winning spiel!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: )

buenas dias, senorita!!! you're up and about early today...

the 2 bottles of tempranillo are just right.. you can tell the lady that you are buying it for those 2 guys who drank the same the other night...i'm sure she'll remember us for consuming her stock and filling up the store with cigar smoke... not to mention, the cash register ringing. B)

astig, talaga!  it seems that your hearing won't budge... gee, i wonder what would? :) 

walang pangit sa mundo!  I know coz, aside from wines and pens, I collect art and I see beauty in everything.  Remember, we all come from the same vine  :hypocritesmiley:  (that was truly an award winning spiel!!!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol: )

Yup am up early for a Saturday! Am starting to pack..... lurd hilp mi dahil Queen of Overpacking ako!

Maybe if you gifted me with some cottonbuds? :lol:

Nyahahahahahaha Senyorrrrrrrrrrr you are learning fast from Bods and myself. Between the three of us eh we can really really form and award giving body. Promise when I attend a WEB eh we shall draft the list of nominees and categories!

Am going to go have to search for an Opus One ..... have you seen one in Manila? I might get some luck finding one in Bangkok or the DFS. Just wanted to do something nice for my special constant date :blush:

oh yeah!  the cigars...I brought a 5-pack Don Juan Urquijo Robusto Vintage Blend 1993 to the eb with my smoking paraphenlia, a Savinelli scissor cutter, and matches.  DJU's are the premium cigars of our very own, Tabacalera, with the binder, filler and wrapper coming from Ecuador, Guatemala and Dominican Republic, not necessarily in that order and aged solera-style in a humidity and temperature controlled bodega for 10-years minimum.  DJU was rated 89 by Cigar Aficionado.

I gave bods the basic cigar smoking 101, a "bad" habit I started way back in 1995.  Aside from the basic blend, i also told bods a cigar's basic parts, the butt (the open, thick portion of the cigar which is lit), the shoulder, the point where it tapers and the head or cap, or the sealed part.

It started with "nosing" the cigar and capturing its flavors.  The DJU is characteristically rich earthy, leather musk with a mild hint of cinnamon and cedar wood.

Then we came to "cutting" the cap.  The amount of cut rests on the smoker depending the on draw he/she prefers (yes, women smoke cigars, no one should get any crazy idea with this line :grr: ).  There are basically 2 ways of opening the head either by cutting or punching.  In cutting you can either use a pair of cigar scissors or a guillotine.  Never bite it off ala, Clint "Go ahead punk make my day" Eastwood.  A no-no.

After the cigar has been cut (a non-sexist comment, i hasten to add), we proceeded to drawing the flavors of the unlit DJU.  The initial experience would be a dry, spicy tangy sensation, on the lips and rich earthly leather musk, cinnamon and cedar as in the "nosing".

The lighting, which is the pinnacle of the entire ceremony, using matches, not lighters as fumes of butane can contaminate such a natural product.  A staccato of short draws while you rotate the  cigar around the flame.  Let the phosphorus ignite before touching the cigar to the flame.

... and the rest is history... I will let bods post his personal views on this experience. B)

It was truly a captivating night,  more than what bods and i could merge our thoughts on this thread.  bods and i hold secrets which we vowed not to tell while sober... :upside:  :blush:

that's the end of this post, I may now take a few questions.... (bigla naging press conference) :D

as I told you before, it was the capriccios (did I spell it right) from that wonderful Cypriot couple that I've had the pleasure of smoking so putting a thick robusto in my mouth took some getting used to. Also, as you've noticed, the flame died out maybe 4 or 5 times and I spilled cigar ash on my shirt a good 2 or 3 times :P Luckily nobody else was present as it would definitely have been embarassing. :rolleyes:

pare how come I can't recall you telling me that Cigar 101 - either that or I really did get drunk not to remember it this time :P

It was a great experience with the cigar - that earthy musky flavor is something you can't get out of anything else, except wine of course...

so the scissors were yours - I thought it was Barcino's and it just occurred to me - nadala mo ba pauwi yung cigars - o naiwan natin?

I do look forward to the next cigar smoking session. You bring the cigars and I'll bring the matches, fair enough pare? :lol:

Wahahahahahahahahahaha.  And another award for me! :boo:  We really should come up with a list of awards to give out in this thread Pareng Bods and Masi.  Parang Best Vintage MTC Member ..... Most Promising Grape Member ...  Best Sour Grape Member ..... etc .... hahaha.  This would be a good discussion when I finally get to attend a WEB! :rolleyes:  Why do I hear another award coming..... :lol:

Lemme backread ..... my head has been filled with so much wine that it hasn't been able to think straight.  :lol:

hehehe I like that SourGrape Award....hmmm......Most Tannic Member....Tart Award :lol: ...Noble Rot Award....saka nga yung mga dati di ba? The Clueless Award, The Drunken Stupor Award :lol: :lol: :lol:

:P

Hall of fame!!!!!!!!  False advertising daw on your part :P

I have been enchanted for 4nights in a row!  Wot a superb batting average!  :D  Hehe.  Trust you too have been enchanted this week aside from that night with the pixie dust casualty. :lol:

:upside:

Oh dear Ms. HBC, I am definitely NOT the First Lady of the Thread ... I am the bar wench and no more than that. :D  You should've gone to the WEB and kept those two depraved men company ..... imagine ang tingin nila sa wine bottle eh babae na? :lol:

it's Truth Well-Told, ok? :P

it has also been an enchanting two nights in a row for me.... last night of which even went to extended innings - my Depravity Meter of which went up a notch or two :P

Bakit nga ba walang ladies na sumasama sa mga WEB namin???? :angry: We are the epitome of two perfect gentlemen, except for those rare occasions when I spill cigar ash on my shirt and not be aware of it :P

Bods pare, sasama na rin kita sa press con ..... eto medyo malalim ang tanong so take your time --- could you liken the important women in your life to the many good drops you have had?  With matching description plus vintage and variety hah?!  Game! :D

hehehe parang unfair ah - bakit ganyan ang tanong mo sa akin....

I refuse to incriminate myself and, like you, I feign temporary deafness :P

One reason I will never move too far from this area is the wine!!! Yup - I have been lucky enough to be here through the 90s - perhaps the best decade ever for cabs from the Napa Valley. I've had Caymus (pre-Screaming Eagle) and Heinz (the 97 Martha's Vineyards cab  is superb!), Neibaum-Coppola and Merryvale, Beaulieu Vineyards and Mondavi, Opus One and V. Sattui, Plumpjack, Chimney Rock (95! 95! 95!), Stags Leap, Louis Martini, Hess Collection and many, many more! And all I can say is - wow! What a blast! The 90s were truly a wine conversion decade for me. That's when I really got into reds of all flavors, led by the Napa Valley cabs.

I still have those 93 Retzlaff cabs to pop open.......those are from Livermore, just over the hill from Fremont where I live. Back when Noah was still the winemaker there. Now of course, it's Bob who's the winemaker and I still think (despite the success of the 2000 New vines) that he's better at whites than at reds. He disagrees, of course. Noah is feeling unloved, I think. I haven't gone to Yountville to see him in over a year. I should go this summer, but I'm afraid of coming back with yet more wine, and my new wine cabinet is already overflowing!

I also found a wierd little place just south of St. Helena called Praeger Port Place. As the name denots, they specialize in port-style wines of various varietals. Really a funkly place. Unusual.

Nope, no screams yet - but I'm not opening a bottle of that port until this weekend some time. Stay tuned - keep listening!  :lol:

90's cabs are great, but they've gotten so expensive!

I wonder if they still have a 90's cab at Wine Depot.....what can you say about Simi, pare? Wine Depot carries it....Beringer is also available here though I'm not sure if the vintages here are any good...

Hey Rain! Still in Cebu, I see! Hopefully, you'll get your permits soon and not miss the all-too-short Icelandic summer! In the meantime, I would gladly take you up on your offer - but being as I'm 8,000 miles away I will just have to live vicariously.

So guys - what are you waiting for? That was an offer one cannot refuse, if I ever heard one! :evil:  :evil:

we're still too dumbstruck to decide, pare hehehe...

si masi nananahimik - siguro nandun na yun :lol:

Just goes to show what evil lurks in the hearts of men ALL OVER the globe! I loooove pinots and the wines from Burgundy remain the gold standard for these wines. But when things like this are exposed, it tends to cast doubt over ALL the product. That's why I now don't buy too many Burgundies and stick to the Oregon and Russian River pinots. Oh - and the Paso Robles pinots. Now THOSE are beginning to develop into some really fine, fine wines! Time for a road trip!!

yes, it seems even in the hearts of winemakers, evil lurks - all along I thought that it is only in the hearts of winedrinkers that misdeeds reside :lol:

sayang nga about the Burgundies - but how can we be sure that there are no hanky-pankies even in Oregon? :blink:

If you recall what Gallo did to build its empire, you shudder at what American winemakers are capable of...

Quite right there, agxo!  I am venturing out of the box -- away from the "purist" and "monastic" ways.  I never got to taste much Italian sparkling wines except the Asti whose bubbles felt like the size of marbles in the mouth.  A bad jump start  on the learning curve.

On a side note.... I was rummaging through the pantry at my mom-in-laws house and found several unopened bottles of Hennesy Cognac, a Glenfiddich-Special Old Reserve, and 2-bottles of 1985 Perrier Jouet.  Sad to say, the Hennesy and the Perrier-Jouet didnt make the trip.  The corks overflowed.  But the Glen is still in good shape.

Bods, we have a single-malt!!!!

hehe very good news on this otherwise drab weekend...

so when pare? where? :boo:

would you want my help in ransacking, I mean rummaging, there?

baka madami pa tayong makuha hehehe....

Yup am up early for a Saturday!  Am starting to pack..... lurd hilp mi dahil Queen of Overpacking ako! 

Maybe if you gifted me with some cottonbuds? :lol:

Nyahahahahahaha Senyorrrrrrrrrrr you are learning fast from Bods and myself.  Between the three of us eh we can really really form and award giving body.  Promise when I attend a WEB eh we shall draft the list of nominees and categories!

Am going to go have to search for an Opus One ..... have you seen one in Manila?  I might get some luck finding one in Bangkok or the DFS.  Just wanted to do something nice for my special constant date :blush:

Had to do some research on the Opus One and found out that it's from the Rothschild/Mondavi JV. Well, I guess you have to get it from Anthony's/Yakal Street or Magnum/GB2 or Cork/Rockwell since they are exclusive importers of both brands. Anthony's has an outlet at the NAIA-1 Duty Free. If not try getting it when you get back at their big shop beside NAIA1. Good luck...

An overpacked suitcase doesn't surprise me abit. It's the reason that my golfbag gets left behind whenever we go on holiday. Have a safe trip.

Henny Penny, Chicken Licken, Foxy Loxy, Turkey Lurkey.... yup...these were characters in pre-school books which i read for my daughter, which speaks much of the literature i perused. ;)

i would recommend that you buy the tempranillo (i finally got it right, bods!) at Barcino's.  in fact get at least 2 so you could take 1 to our next WEB!!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  if you didn't hear our earlier request for cuban cigars hija, senorita...you heard this one!...if not, sayang maganda ka pa naman... :upside:  :upside:

drink faster than i could talk ... you better believe it!!! B)

hehe you sure rule the ROOST with regards to children's literature :P

I think she's hearing you this time, pare hehehe

and before she flies the COOP, we better make sure she remembers the cigars :lol:

so the scissors were yours - I thought it was Barcino's and it just occurred to me - nadala mo ba pauwi yung cigars - o naiwan natin?

I do look forward to the next cigar smoking session. You bring the cigars and I'll bring the matches, fair enough pare? :lol:

i brought them all (extra cigars, scissors and the match) :) which makes me want to believe that i was quite sober after 2 bottles. sure, no problem with the cigars... i might even be able to throw you a surprise, one of these day! B) Don't get any funny ideas with this comment, Lipstick! :grr:

Had to do some research on the Opus One and found out that it's from the Rothschild/Mondavi JV.  Well, I guess you have to get it from Anthony's/Yakal Street or Magnum/GB2 or Cork/Rockwell since they are exclusive importers of both brands.  Anthony's has an outlet at the NAIA-1 Duty Free.  If not try getting it when you get back at their big shop beside NAIA1.  Good luck...

An overpacked suitcase doesn't surprise me abit.  It's the reason that my golfbag gets left behind whenever we go on holiday.  Have a safe trip.

yes pare, now that you mention it - Opus One is by Mondavi and it should be available here, ms.L :)

i brought them all (extra cigars, scissors and the match)  :)  which makes me want to believe that i was quite sober after 2 bottles.  sure, no problem with the cigars... i might even be able to throw you a surprise, one of these day!  B)    Don't get any funny ideas with this comment, Lipstick! :grr:

hehehe ano yun? parang kinakabahan ako dyan ah :goatee:

Bakit nga ba walang ladies na sumasama sa mga WEB namin???? :angry: We are the epitome of two perfect gentlemen, except for those rare occasions when I spill cigar ash on my shirt and not be aware of it  :P

No regrets from my end bods, i make the most of my evenings without gender bias!!!! As true gentlemen, we have to respect the time and space they keep. we should toast to them for prosperity and good health. You would have to agree with me on this one. ;)

You might consider a purchase of a smoking jacket to keep the ashes off your shirt. :goatee: I haven't gotten one and we would look odd wearing one. I've burnt a few shirts before but that didn't stop me.

Had to do some research on the Opus One and found out that it's from the Rothschild/Mondavi JV.  Well, I guess you have to get it from Anthony's/Yakal Street or Magnum/GB2 or Cork/Rockwell since they are exclusive importers of both brands.  Anthony's has an outlet at the NAIA-1 Duty Free.  If not try getting it when you get back at their big shop beside NAIA1.  Good luck...

An overpacked suitcase doesn't surprise me abit.  It's the reason that my golfbag gets left behind whenever we go on holiday.  Have a safe trip.

Hehe yes I knew it was from Rothschild-Mondavi :) Nada at Anthony's. Haven't tried Magnum and Cork yet. Am hoping to find one at DFS or perhaps in Bkk.

Thanks Masi pare ... kung kasya pa ang cigars sa maleta ko eh magdadala ako. :lol: Ayan di na ako bingi. ha ha ha.

*backreading*

hehehe parang unfair ah - bakit ganyan ang tanong mo sa akin....

I refuse to incriminate myself and, like you, I feign temporary deafness :P

Bods, may I remind you that you are not subject of a Congressional inquiry or that you have not called your right to defend yourself from self incrimination. So please answer the question or I will declare you in contempt of this thread!!! B)

Punishment for contempt is for you to drink 1 bottle of Chinese and Indian wine in succession as we take our tempranillos and pinots... :thumbsupsmiley:

on a side note... seems like everyone is hard of hearing these days.. is it the wine or too much posting and lack of drinking!!!!! :wacko:

Hehe yes I knew it was from Rothschild-Mondavi :)  Nada at Anthony's.  Haven't tried Magnum and Cork yet.  Am hoping to find one at DFS or perhaps in Bkk.

Thanks Masi pare ... kung kasya pa ang cigars sa maleta ko eh magdadala ako. :lol:  Ayan di na ako bingi. ha ha ha.

*backreading*

I was just kidding on the cigars... don't get any! I was giving you an audition if you can play a mute/deaf role in this tele nobela serye I may be directing. (Teka ang gulo na ata.)

I do hope you find the Opus One, if not I am sure there is an equivalent alt!

as I told you before, it was the capriccios (did I spell it right) from that wonderful Cypriot couple that I've had the pleasure of smoking so putting a thick robusto in my mouth took some getting used to. Also, as you've noticed, the flame died out maybe 4 or 5 times and I spilled cigar ash on my shirt a good 2 or 3 times :P Luckily nobody else was present as it would definitely have been embarassing. :rolleyes:

pare how come I can't recall you telling me that Cigar 101 - either that or I really did get drunk not to remember it this time :P

Di naman siguro nakakahiya. :rolleyes A bib would be a good alternative to a smoking jacket dontcha think? :lol:

hehehe I like that SourGrape Award....hmmm......Most Tannic Member....Tart Award :lol: ...Noble Rot Award....saka nga yung mga dati di ba? The Clueless Award, The Drunken Stupor Award :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Hahahaha naisip ko Tannin Ina Mo Award. Wahahahahahahahahaha.

it's Truth Well-Told, ok? :P

it has also been an enchanting two nights in a row for me.... last night of which even went to extended innings - my Depravity Meter of which went up a notch or two :P

Bakit nga ba walang ladies na sumasama sa mga WEB namin???? :angry: We are the epitome of two perfect gentlemen, except for those rare occasions when I spill cigar ash on my shirt and not be aware of it  :P

Wehehehehe truth well told nga naman. :lol: Why does that phrase sound so very familiar to me. :rolleyes:

The bar wench will spank the ladies for not attending! Asaan na ba si Ms. HBC and Manners? :lol:

"Hey, whadaya know - this wine has got legs!" :P

I like this one! :lol: