Whew! IT IS GETTING HOT IN HERE!!!!

talking about awards... make sure i get the silent reader award and the palitaw award! Silent reader award coz I am just one silent reader in this thread and i am having a hard time relating to the posts coz I am not a drinker :( Bummer! :P Palitaw...coz i am like palitaw na lulubog lilitaw in posting..bwhehehe .. CORNY! don't get me wrong ..i am not drunk yet. :P heheeheh

hmmm .. I didnt know that wine can turn fi guys to .... to.... oh men! :P hehehee i can't imagine Bods and Masi wearing skirts! :P hahahaha..with matching pink slip-ons!

yeah Ms Lipstick - too bad I wasnt able to come and meet them last friday...was down with flu. :(

oh well..to all..have a good one! ( hmmm sounds familiar! :P)

keep those posts coming! i love reading the posts! Ms Lipstick is right...ang kuleeettt nyo!!!!  :boo:

who knows, when we get to drink that single-malt, we might get to wear kilts - which is the closest thing to a skirt :lol:

welcome back!

I hope magaling ka na...

Quite right there, agxo!  I am venturing out of the box -- away from the "purist" and "monastic" ways.  I never got to taste much Italian sparkling wines except the Asti whose bubbles felt like the size of marbles in the mouth.  A bad jump start  on the learning curve.

On a side note.... I was rummaging through the pantry at my mom-in-laws house and found several unopened bottles of Hennesy Cognac, a Glenfiddich-Special Old Reserve, and 2-bottles of 1985 Perrier Jouet.  Sad to say, the Hennesy and the Perrier-Jouet didnt make the trip.  The corks overflowed.  But the Glen is still in good shape.

Bods, we have a single-malt!!!!

Oooooohhhh - too bad about the Perrier Jouet. But give the Henessey a try anyway. Since i't sbrandy it should survive a lot of abuse. And that Glenfiddich should be wonderful with a nice cigar!

pare I got so emotional reading this post that tears were running down my legs :P

pare what 23 is that? July ba yun??? I never imagined :blink:

well let me say that I opened this thread because I wanted to know more about wine and the wine world, it being a passion of mine at that moment.

but without you guys - masi, agxo, lips :* , eagleyes, magaling, sbm, hbc, ms.m, spurt, freakish, lana and everybody else (guys, my proper speech I'm still working at and will post it soon - don't say I didn't warn you hehehe), this thread would have died out like so many other threads here. It has sputtered and stumbled, but it has wonderfully picked itself up....

guys, I'm not much for attending, much less organizing, grand thingy-thingies, but seeing this thread survive, and dare I say, prosper for a whole year is reward in itself!

cheers!

thanks so much for pareng masi and agxo - I owe you so much, and ms. Lips - without you, this thread would have been dry-as-dust hehehe....

yes, pare, 23 July 2004 was the date when you ventured to the unknown of this board, not knowing what to expect, but merely a passion for wine in tow.

Congratulations...let's get together to drink to a year of learning, discoveries, friendships, irreverence, sympathies and empathy, fun and awards!!!! Quits na tayo!!! (well, only until agxo arrives!)

yup! bods and i had developed a collective fondness for the beautiful, captivating and alluring in all forms, size, color, shape, taste.... :goatee:

no bar wenches in Barcino's except maybe when bods and i start to wear skirts ;) ...and start dancing the fandango and flamenco...hmmm, must be the fat and oil in those tapas more than the alcohol in the tempranillo and shiraz ... :lol: :wacko:

in reponse to your question in my presscon... hija, i need not reply to the obvious.... B) my cousin and i come from the same vine, but i must add, i have a better vintage... :lol: :boo: (bods, this reply is not OT nor would you think i'm drunk responding to this post!!!!)

90's cabs are great, but they've gotten so expensive!

I wonder if they still have a 90's cab at Wine Depot.....what can you say about Simi, pare? Wine Depot carries it....Beringer is also available here though I'm not sure if the vintages here are any good...

yes, it seems even in the hearts of winemakers, evil lurks - all along I thought that it is only in the hearts of winedrinkers that misdeeds reside :lol:

sayang nga about the Burgundies - but how can we be sure that there are no hanky-pankies even in Oregon? :blink:

If you recall what Gallo did to build its empire, you shudder at what American winemakers are capable of...

Had to do some research on the Opus One and found out that it's from the Rothschild/Mondavi JV. Well, I guess you have to get it from Anthony's/Yakal Street or Magnum/GB2 or Cork/Rockwell since they are exclusive importers of both brands. Anthony's has an outlet at the NAIA-1 Duty Free. If not try getting it when you get back at their big shop beside NAIA1. Good luck...

An overpacked suitcase doesn't surprise me abit. It's the reason that my golfbag gets left behind whenever we go on holiday. Have a safe trip.

Actually the three of you! Nagmumukhang trapo mga review namin compared to the (un)holy triumvirate of Bods, Agxo3 and Masi!

:thumbsupsmiley:

Masi,

I PM'd you just now. Can you post my message in this thread?

Class act kayo ni Bods 1000. Not to be offensive...you and Bods are the oinologist counterpart of Paris Hillton and Nicole Richie fashionistas.

Pour More!!!! Wonderful insights.

And where the hell is Bods?????? :blink: Took the last flight out to Cebu perhaps? :rolleyes:

And where the hell is Bods?????? :blink: Took the last flight out to Cebu perhaps? :rolleyes:

And now for a whole weekend's worth of replies, posts and assorted non-sequiturs...........

yes, and to AGXO, Magaling, Pinoy and all the others...

here's to more post, more corks and infinite discoveries

SALUTE!!! KAMPAI!!! CHEERS!!!

and i hope i got the #1500 post....

Wow! A year! AND 1500 posts!

More! More! What a thread - it's got EVERYTHING! Wine, women and ....song??? Wait - who' singing Happy Birthday to the thread? Not me - I can't sing worth a damn. :wacko:

excuse me, I am unholy, but I hate to admit that I am not as eloquent as the two gentlemen when describing a wine....when sipping great wine my prose falls short, much like I fear my words might be inadequate when I finally get to meet you... :rolleyes:

Ha! Bolero ka talaga. :thumbsupsmiley: No wonder you're so popular with the ladies. You've contributed many a memorable review to this thread. I don't see as many Aussie and Kiwi wines here as you guys do, so reading about those fills a huge void in my knowledge of the fruits of the vine.

Guess who is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :boo:

Am in my hotel room.... not a drop of alcohol for me despite the flowing wine and alak at the company sponsored cocktails. I've been having a bad tummy since yesterday and it sorta escalated to day. The flight was hell, the food on PAL CRAPPY ... and now I have a fever. All alone in the room. I need someone to take care of me. :cry: I feel so kawawa.

:lol:

Ayan ang mga linyang dapat bigyan ng award!!!!!

*backread muna*

Oh, sorry to hear that. And doubly sorry that I can't recommend drinking wine as an antidote to your ailment. Would have made a great way to recover!!! :lol: Hope you're feeling better......

Wow - I really did screw that one up - and I haven't had my wine tonight yet!!! :lol: :lol:

Here's to all - and to the juice that's brought us all together!

Let's trty that again.......and hope the quotes work better this time. And maybe I'll get ALL the stuff i wanted to reply to this time as well!!!

yup! bods and i had developed a collective fondness for the beautiful, captivating and alluring in all forms, size, color, shape, taste.... 

no bar wenches in Barcino's except maybe when bods and i start to wear skirts  ...and start dancing the fandango and flamenco...hmmm, must be the fat and oil in those tapas more than the alcohol in the tempranillo and shiraz ... 

in reponse to your question in my presscon... hija, i need not reply to the obvious....  my cousin and i come from the same vine, but i must add, i have a better vintage...  (bods, this reply is not OT nor would you think i'm drunk responding to this post!!!!)

:sick: No offense, guys, but guys in drag - that's just NOT my cup o' red, if ya know what I mean! Now, Ms. Lips, Ms. HBC or Ms. LNPM in ANY skirt (the shorter the better) - now THAT's a sight I wouldn't want to miss!

90's cabs are great, but they've gotten so expensive!

I wonder if they still have a 90's cab at Wine Depot.....what can you say about Simi, pare? Wine Depot carries it....Beringer is also available here though I'm not sure if the vintages here are any good...

Simi? I don't know much about them. Not on my list of faves. Yet. But now that you ask, i will do my best to remember to pick one up and give it a try!! As for Beringer - uneven quality, unfortunately. the make some really fine, fine swill, but some of what they put out is really and truly deserving of the the literal meaning of the term.

yes, it seems even in the hearts of winemakers, evil lurks - all along I thought that it is only in the hearts of winedrinkers that misdeeds reside 

sayang nga about the Burgundies - but how can we be sure that there are no hanky-pankies even in Oregon? 

If you recall what Gallo did to build its empire, you shudder at what American winemakers are capable of...

Yup - but there's a lot more transparency now, and most, if not all, of these wineries are open to the public for tours and tasting. they're truly proud of their product, have no tradition to uphold, and are scrapping for every bit of good publicity the can get. So would guess that any nefarious doings would be severly curtailed, or at least, a dirty deed done in the dead of night.

Had to do some research on the Opus One and found out that it's from the Rothschild/Mondavi JV. Well, I guess you have to get it from Anthony's/Yakal Street or Magnum/GB2 or Cork/Rockwell since they are exclusive importers of both brands. Anthony's has an outlet at the NAIA-1 Duty Free. If not try getting it when you get back at their big shop beside NAIA1. Good luck...

An overpacked suitcase doesn't surprise me abit. It's the reason that my golfbag gets left behind whenever we go on holiday. Have a safe trip.

Opus One is indeed the Rothschild/Mondavi collaboration. A fine wine, and a lovely winery, but methinks they're a bit full of themselves. $25 bot a SMALL taste??? And you don't even get to keep the glass??? Well, it's not a logo glass anyway - but that's yet another strike agains them! If you are hell bent on an Opus One, try to pick up a 92 or 93. Not as desirable as the 99 but every bit as good as the 95 and 94 and perhaps easier to find. Or, go for a 97. 2001 was also good, and 2002.

But if you want a wine with a similar rep*tation and perhaps easier to find, look for a Heitz Martha's Vineyard (97 should be good!). Or maybe a Merryvale 99. Hess Collection - anything from 92 to 97. that N-C Cask 97 that we opened was a tremendous wine. Full bodied and a really full mouthfeel. Lots of rich, dark berries and black cherries. Nice, round tannins. And a finish full of smoke and leather. Not a hint of tar nor green-ness.

Actually the three of you! Nagmumukhang trapo mga review namin compared to the (un)holy triumvirate of Bods, Agxo3 and Masi!

Moi? I am but a humble wino, raving about the nectar of the gods. It's the wine talking!!! :lol:

Masi,

I PM'd you just now. Can you post my message in this thread?

Class act kayo ni Bods 1000. Not to be offensive...you and Bods are the oinologist counterpart of Paris Hillton and Nicole Richie fashionistas.

Pour More!!!! Wonderful insights.

Welcome, Ms. LNPM! And yes, the two are definitely the entertainers of the group. but which one is Paris and which one is Nicole?

And where the hell is Bods??????  Took the last flight out to Cebu perhaps?

Hahahah! And without Masi by his side? Hmmmmmmmm........

yes, and to AGXO, Magaling, Pinoy and all the others...

here's to more post, more corks and infinite discoveries

SALUTE!!! KAMPAI!!! CHEERS!!!

and i hope i got the #1500 post....

More! More! What a thread - it's got EVERYTHING! Wine, women and ....song??? Wait - who' singing Happy Birthday to the thread? Not me - I can't sing worth a damn.

excuse me, I am unholy, but I hate to admit that I am not as eloquent as the two gentlemen when describing a wine....when sipping great wine my prose falls short, much like I fear my words might be inadequate when I finally get to meet you...

Ha! Bolero ka talaga. No wonder you're so popular with the ladies. You've contributed many a memorable review to this thread. I don't see as many Aussie and Kiwi wines here as you guys do, so reading about those fills a huge void in my knowledge of the fruits of the vine.

Guess who is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Am in my hotel room.... not a drop of alcohol for me despite the flowing wine and alak at the company sponsored cocktails. I've been having a bad tummy since yesterday and it sorta escalated to day. The flight was hell, the food on PAL CRAPPY ... and now I have a fever. All alone in the room. I need someone to take care of me.  I feel so kawawa.

Ayan ang mga linyang dapat bigyan ng award!!!!!

*backread muna*

Oh, sorry to hear that. And doubly sorry that I can't recommend drinking wine as an antidote to your ailment. Would have made a great way to recover!!! Hope you're feeling better......

Now, Ms. Lips, Ms. HBC or Ms. LNPM in ANY skirt (the shorter the better) - now THAT's a sight I wouldn't want to miss!

Moi? I am but a humble wino, raving about the nectar of the gods. It's the wine talking!!! :lol:

Welcome, Ms. LNPM! And yes, the two are definitely the entertainers of the group. but which one is

Paris and which one is Nicole?

More! More! What a thread - it's got EVERYTHING! Wine, women and ....song??? Wait - who' singing Happy Birthday to the thread? Not me - I can't sing worth a damn. 

on the minis, ahem, :) bods and i have to work very hard and check the merchandise one by one, inch by inch... hey, it's a dirty job, :hypocritesmiley: but somebody has to do it!!!! :evil: so by the time you're here... it's quality assured!!! B)

hmmmm :wacko: how come no one is taking credit for the success of this thread.... common guys and gals, let's just all say, we made it happen!!!... individual and collective... none of this success would have happened if one or the entire wine drinking machinery was not in order... so we all deserve it!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

I don't have the faintest idea what was on LNPM's mind when she thought of comparing us to Paris and Nicole. :blink: Before any of you get those funny ideas, stuff :lol: it with a cork!!! <_<

you don't sing? well, i'm sure you can belt a line of Ol' Blue Eyes with a wine goblet in hand... Bods, seems like we'll have "karay-oki" night when agxo's here!!!! :lol:

it was masi who kept the thread alive by his constant presence and equally eloquent reviews which never in my wild dreams would match...

and, dyaaaraaaan!, <cymbals clashing and applause deafening>, it was ms. Lipstick who, as masi said, animated the thread with her down-to-earth, honest, and really really heartwarming presence :)

AWARD! :lol:

ok, bods, i finally got it!!!! i will bring the glen and the cigar!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lipstick, too, has been getting her share of AWARDS!!! (i'll drink to that, courtesy of Ms. Lipstick!!!, :lol: )

seems, like i've been drinking to everything and anything these days :D is there an AA thread on board? :wacko:

Edited by masi

Just a quick one to say hello because the internet connection here in Bangkok is fookin' unstable!

Been sober all day and am thinking if I wanna be brazen and grab some alcohol with the Truth Well Told crew. It has been a day with a lonngggggggggggggg finish like wine that is immensely enjoyable. Am actually having fun at this revenue creation workshop -- I love learning. :) Hehe and part of today's discovery is that some of the boys have some small crush on me. I wonder why???? :rolleyes: Could it be the cussing? :lol:

*back read ulit*

who knows, when we get to drink that single-malt, we might get to wear kilts - which is the closest thing to a skirt :lol:

welcome back!

I hope magaling ka na...

Thanks..I am well na! but...still have this bad cough...

anyways..anyhows....grabe! it is great to read the posts talaga though I cant contribute much on the wine thingy...

wow..don't you think the group should celebrate more! Let's plan for an anniv party. In the party..we will have the awards night too! whatchatink..that sounds fun..aight?

who will sing the HAPPY BIRTHDAY song...hmm since I cannot contribute much on the wine info... I can volunteer to sing the BIRTHDAY song!!! :P heheheh..yun nga lang..make sure you are not too intoxicated ha..baka you'll throw the bottles sa akin! :P

LET's CELEBRATE!!!!!!!

hi cutie,  i hope you are feeling better now.  keep on reading and hoping to see you in our forthcoming ebs.

yeah, you too... have a good one...(familiar nga!)

i am feeling better now..thanks. :) will do..will make sure i am updated on what is happening..see you hopefully in the forthcoming wine session....ebs doesnt sound good huh...yah? :P

hehehe..have a good one ...too (i agree! as what pinoys would say... sounds family! :P wbehehehe)

Masi,

Being compared to Paris and Nicole (of the fashionista fame) is a compliment....Iconic status yan!!! Better than Beavis and Butthead.

But seriously..you guys really know what you are talking about. Mo doubt. I guess it takes time and money to get to that level of appreciation.

Cheers!!!

good morning, folks!

ok before we pop the first cork for the day, let me share with you this bit of a downright amusing news.

Ever heard of a talking wine label? :P

Seems an Italian firm has patented a microchip embedded ( I love that word!) in a wine label. It comes in its usual square or rectangular form and the plastic label can be removed and "read" in a special Walkman-like device ( which you also have to buy). The manufacturer or a person then tells you details about the wine - like vintage, region, the origin of the grapes in the wine, the winery, etc.

Kinda stupefying, would you agree? hehehe

It says this is the ultimate safeguard against fraud and counterfeit wines, which seems so rampant these days....

Of course this would appear only on high-end brands....

cheers!

Masi,

Being compared to Paris and Nicole (of the fashionista fame) is a compliment....Iconic status yan!!! Better than Beavis and Butthead.

But seriously..you guys really know what you are talking about. Mo doubt.  I guess it takes time and money to get to that level of appreciation.

Cheers!!!

Hi LNPM,

Great to hear from you again! I have to correct your impression on the appreciation and knowledge that we hold on wine. Frankly, I don't have much info except for what bods and agxo and the rest of the crew post as well as, the private research I do. Well, if you call reading magazine articles research :wacko: ?

The time and moolah spent in appreciating wine are determined by the passion you have for it. It is perhaps no different from girls wanting to have the latest in bags, shoes, clothes. I my case, just as everyone here, if I maybe allowed to speak for them, would be wines and (plus, a few other things).

Thanks for the "Paris and Nicole" branding, altho watching them leaves really strong tannins, but still better than Beavis and Butthead :angry: which I would like to compare to really bad Chinese wines! I wonder what you would be calling the group if the group regulars have reached 5? Do you tag us the "Fab 5"? :lol: (Boy, I better learn a thing or 2 about branding, brand equity and advertising? Any teacher in the house?)

good morning, folks!

ok before we pop the first cork for the day, let me share with you this bit of a downright amusing news.

Ever heard of a talking wine label? :P

Seems an Italian firm has patented a microchip embedded ( I love that word!) in a wine label. It comes in its usual square or rectangular form and the plastic label can be removed and "read" in a special Walkman-like device ( which you also have to buy). The manufacturer or a person then tells you details about the wine - like vintage, region, the origin of the grapes in the wine, the winery, etc.

Kinda stupefying, would you agree? hehehe

It says this is the ultimate safeguard against fraud and counterfeit wines, which seems so rampant these days....

cheers!

this is good reading bods! Good morning! I guess as long as there are quality products in the market, trust that there are counterfeits shadowing it.

I would still like to see traditional labelling. Maybe the "purist" in me. I hope those tags will be hidden and away from the labels. A good place to put them would be between the cork and the foil. Better yet, come up that technology to make flex circuits where the circuit is imbedded in the foil already.

Edited by masi
i am feeling better now..thanks. :) will do..will make sure i am updated on what is happening..see you hopefully in the forthcoming wine session....ebs doesnt sound good huh...yah? :P

hehehe..have a good one ...too (i agree! as what pinoys would say... sounds family! :P wbehehehe)

hi cutie... glad to know you are feeling well. ok when you attend our sessions, i will bring a bottle of sparking grape juice!!!! well, visually it could pass for sparkling wine.

yeah, have a good 1!

...tells you details about the wine - like vintage, region, the origin of the grapes in the wine, the winery, etc.

cheers!

but most of that information is already on the label... :wacko:

Wine label information:

1. Name of winery

2. Appellation - Name of the winegrowing region.

3. Name of the vineyard(s)

4. Varietal name - If there is no varietal name, the wine is probably a blend (cuvee). To be able to call a wine by the varietal name, it must contain at least 75% of wine from that grape. Traditional wines from France, Italy, and Spain, use the place of origin instead of the varietal.

5. Vintage - The year the grapes were grown. If there is no vintage, it is probably a mixture of wines made in different years.

Some labels have other technical data such as percentage of varietals if it is a blend, residual sugar, percentage alcohol, etc.

--- Other Information Found on Wine Labels ---

"Cellared and Bottled By" means that the winery bought the wine and bottled it.

"Made and Bottled By" means that the winery made at least 10% of the wine.

"Produced and Bottled By" means that the winery made at least 75% of the wine.

"Estate Bottled" means that the winery not only made 100% of the wine but also grew the grapes on land owned by the winery.

"Vintner's Reserve," "Estate Reserve" or "Select" etc. - Terms like these have no set (or legal) meaning, although within certain wineries these terms may have specific meaning. Labeling laws and requirements will vary between countries.

but most of that information is already on the label... :wacko:

yes but the point is that labels can be counterfeited - there's a lot of them now. Chances of coming up with a fake "talking label" is almost nil...

remember the fake Moet Et Chandon made in Cuba - with fake labels, corks and all but with swill inside the bottle? Labels can be printed or obtained illegally and put on a bottle with swill inside.

speaking of fraud, 3 managers of Champagne Esterlin were recently indicted of fraud for labelling their wines under FALSE VINTAGES!!!

could you imagine that! The investigation revealed that this has been going on at that Champagne house now for several years. :wacko:

as pareng agxo would say - What evil lurks behind the hearts of winemakers? :P

speaking of fraud, 3 managers of Champagne Esterlin were recently indicted of fraud for labelling their wines under FALSE VINTAGES!!!

could you imagine that! The investigation revealed that this has been going on at that Champagne house now for several years. :wacko:

as pareng agxo would say - What evil lurks behind the hearts of winemakers? :P

this is the lowest form of counterfeiting... imagine a winery misdeclaring vintage ... what for? beef up the profit and loss statement? come on... :thumbsdownsmiley:

Masi,

There is an image of you I have....please do not miscontrue and look at the obvious association...If the Phil. would have its version of the "Queer Eye for the straight Guy"...I think you would fit the gourmand role in it...I don't know why, but something feels right ????

Maybe the costly PEN you have in your avatar is andication of your finer tastes...My guess too, would be your handle MASI would be a brand of something expensive??? Let me try and find out. :-)

The images of you an Bods 1000 and maybe the rest of the guys here at this forum is that of Metrosexuals... please... not to be taken as anything derogatory, but more as a compliment. Or maybe...I just know too many beer-guzzling, burping men.

this is the lowest form of counterfeiting... imagine a winery misdeclaring vintage ... what for?  beef up the profit and loss statement?  come on... :thumbsdownsmiley:

it could be that if they had a wonderful vintage - say 1998 - then succeeding vintages would be also declared as 1998 knowing that people would buy it - that year being such a hit!

Evil!!!

...and I thought only us winedrinkers were evil :evil: