he owns an old vehicle and refuses to buy an SUV since he says he doesn't need it. there are still gems in congress, even if majority are worthless pieces of s@%t...er....stones, i mean.

i normally serve wine in my airconditioned formal dining room which is usually the venue for dinner parties so i guess this "rush" is not a problem? but i'm glad to be able to learn something new each day, thanks!

i hope you gentlemen don't mind if i pass by time to time with some questions. :)

you could have the bottle "sit" in the room at least 30minutes before opening it, then another 10 minutes to allow it to breathe, unless you prefer to decant.

letting the bottle "sit" allows the wine to "equalize" with the room's temperature.

I don't know if this is off topic but I want to share this.

I've been drinking Jinro Soju (Korean Potato Wine) for more than a year now.

The small bottle version is only 19.8% to 20.1% alcohol (P 80 to 100) and the big bottle is 24% alcohol (P 200)

It is indeed cheap but what I enjoyed with this is when I let the ladies drink it. I mix Mirinda or Royal Tru-Orange.

The alcohol content is really low if we compare it to Gin or Vodka.

However, I find that the ladies get drunk easily with this and made them hot that led to sex on some of them.

I tried to research on this on the internet but I can't find a logical explanation.

I experimented this on my wife, my office mates, my friends, and other acquantances and got almost similar result.

I told my daughter not to drink it with other people except in the family as it is "dangerous".

One of my staff even whispered to my ear that she was safe after 4 shots of this. She can't remember what she whispered to me when she's not drunk anymore. I did not take advantage of her as she was my staff and I don't want any scandal.

There was another drinking session w/ 2 (P 200) Jinro = P 400 with 5 ladies and me. 3 of them also became hot after the 2nd bottle.

Maybe it's the chemical mixture of the softdrink or maybe it's really Jinro.

The rest of you guys can experiment with it and share the results.

Enjoy!

B.T.W. Try the yellow label than the light green label. The yellow label is more effective.

Edited by rayt64
he owns an old vehicle and refuses to buy an SUV since he says he doesn't need it. there are still gems in congress, even if majority are worthless pieces of s@%t...er....stones, i mean.

i normally serve wine in my airconditioned formal dining room which is usually the venue for dinner parties so i guess this "rush" is not a problem? but i'm glad to be able to learn something new each day, thanks!

i hope you gentlemen don't mind if i pass by time to time with some questions. :)

Hi!

Just to add to Masi's comments, "room temperature" for wines would be the room temperature in Europe. That would range from 15 to 18C. When the temperature reaches 25C over there, people declare a heat wave and just stay home. hehehe

Most refrigerators will maintain temp at 5 to 10C, same as a European wine cellar (10C). So storing the reds in the ref, then bringing them out, opening them, and letting it "sit" for a while in the air-conditioned room will be ideal.

BTW, would that congressman belong to a district just south of Metro Manila?

For Masi,

Yes am importing my wines and distributing it as well, I used to have a showroom before in polaris infront of la-tienda in makati, but am just maintaining my temperatured controlled warehouse, I usuallu caters to private individuals and some corporate accounts. we do delivery as well, but my wines are more into French, Portuguese, Italian... more on the high end, last night I had a tasting at Alliance Francais De Manille, we tasted 2001 vintage; Les Fiefs de Lagrange, Les haut de Pontet, Ch. Lanessan 2004. very promising wines and my guests enjoyed it. I collect older vintage also, my oldest is a 1907 Cos d" Estournel. my company is Gran Vin Exchange, it is very nice to know thata lot are into wines already.

The small bottle version is only 19.8% to 20.1% alcohol (P 80 to 100) and the big bottle is 24% alcohol (P 200)

It is indeed cheap but what I enjoyed with this is when I let the ladies drink it. I mix Mirinda or Royal Tru-Orange.

However, I find that the ladies get drunk easily with this and made them hot that led to sex on some of them.

I tried to research on this on the internet but I can't find a logical explanation.

I experimented this on my wife, my office mates, my friends, and other acquantances and got almost similar result.

I told my daughter not to drink it with other people except in the family as it is "dangerous".

One of my staff even whispered to my ear that she was safe after 4 shots of this. She can't remember what she whispered to me when she's not drunk anymore. I did not take advantage of her as she was my staff and I don't want any scandal.

There was another drinking session w/ 2 (P 200) Jinro = P 400 with 5 ladies and me. 3 of them also became hot after the 2nd bottle.

Enjoy!

B.T.W. Try the yellow label than the light green label. The yellow label is more effective.

Very interesting inputs, rayt. If Jinro is potato, wheat or barley based, this would be the equivalent of a gin or a vodka. Funny though how alcohol affects women, or maybe it's your appeal rather than the alcohol!

Hi!

Just to add to Masi's comments, "room temperature" for wines would be the room temperature in Europe. That would range from 15 to 18C. When the temperature reaches 25C over there, people declare a heat wave and just stay home. hehehe

Most refrigerators will maintain temp at 5 to 10C, same as a European wine cellar (10C). So storing the reds in the ref, then bringing them out, opening them, and letting it "sit" for a while in the air-conditioned room will be ideal.

BTW, would that congressman belong to a district just south of Metro Manila?

Hi Floppy, has your doctor given you the greenlight to drink? Let me know, it's a cause for celebration!

For Masi,

Yes am importing my wines and distributing it as well, I used to have a showroom before in polaris infront of la-tienda in makati, but am just maintaining my temperatured controlled warehouse, I usuallu caters to private individuals and some corporate accounts. we do delivery as well, but my wines are more into French, Portuguese, Italian... more on the high end, last night I had a tasting at Alliance Francais De Manille, we tasted 2001 vintage; Les Fiefs de Lagrange, Les haut de Pontet, Ch. Lanessan 2004. very promising wines and my guests enjoyed it. I collect older vintage also, my oldest is a 1907 Cos d" Estournel. my company is Gran Vin Exchange, it is very nice to know thata lot are into wines already.

Hi Nikki, Thanks for your inputs. Perhaps you could invite us to your next wine tasting. We do hold wine tasting and I hope we could invite you to our next event.

I agree that price alone cannot indicate the quality of the wine. And in addition, "delicious" is a relative term that is highly subjective and depends on each person's palate and preferences. So yes, the only really "bad" wines are those that are spoiled, cooked, corked, or otherwise damaged. I personally find wines that are inadvertently (or accidentally) sweet - not ports or dessert wines or late harvest wines - unpalatable. But that's me! I like red wines with good structure (that's driven by well-integrated tannins) and a healthy dose of robust fruit.

BUT - price is and indication to the extent that the percentage of wines in a given price bracket that would be generally considered withing the wine world as "good" would tend to be higher in a higher priced bracket. It is indeed possible to find good, reasonably priced wines. It's just the as your definition of "reasonably priced" extends into the higer price brackets, it gets easier to find "good" wines.

I just bought a case at a Livermore winery for $4/btl. What a bargain! A 2002 Reserve Syrah! Great tanins that round out with just 15 or so minutes of air, bountiful fruit, hints of leather and smoke, and a spiciness to balance the "sweetness" of the fruit. I've had less "good" $20 syrahs! What wonderful luck!

On another topic - more budget cuts at work mean this upcoming trip to Taiwan may very well be my last for the year! :cry: That means no Manila stop for me if that's true! Stay tuned for the next episode in this continuing drama.........

quite early for the year to have your last trip to Asia but we'll wait for you...

yes, more exquisite wines are to be found in the higher-price bracket simply because of the more expensive winemaking methods used. A wine fermented in new French oak would be more expensive than a wine done in used oak simply because a new French oak costs a fortune, and so on. The affordable grocery wines can be sold cheap because sometimes they are just steeped in oak chips.

What is lamentable is the way some distributors increase the price of some affordable wine not because it has gone up in quality, but because it has somewhat become famous and sellable. Yes, increased taxes would have something to do with it but the dollar has depreciated against the peso for sometime now. I mean a P200 to P300 peso increase in some wines is just too much.

thanks for the welcome :) a french kiss might be bad for your health, too, depending on who's giving it! :upside: but i'm starting to learn more about wines and have decided to introduce wines from other countries to my "French-biased" relatives.

i have another question if you don't mind - they insist that i chill the red wines before i serve but i learned that red wine should be served at room temperature. is it ok to chill it , according to preference?

well to each his own I guess. I don't keep my wines chilled because I don't have the time to let it "sit" for half an hour before drinking. For me, the time it takes to put a wine on the table, open it, pouring it to a glass, and drinking it is, in scientific jargon, infinitesimal. :lol:

I just store the wine in a cool and dark location in the house (under the bed in the coolest room), or at least in a place where there would be no wild temperature swings. Yes, don't go by room temp here because room temp as indicated in the wine bottle refers to temperature in the temperate zones so that would be around 16 to 18 deg. C. I don't keep a wine in the fridge because it's colder than that. Sometimes with a cold bottle you will have difficulty extracting the cork (not that it matters now with all those screw caps around) and with cheaper wines having it chilled results in an unnatural tannic taste.

But that's just me hehehe. So masi - you can always serve me wine straight from your sofa hehehe....

Enjoy!

hmmm I won't declare your post as off-topic if you divulge what the percentage mix is of Mirinda to Jinro :evil:

thanks for your inputs, pare.

Keep on posting!

Guest lustfortravel
you could have the bottle "sit" in the room at least 30minutes before opening it, then another 10 minutes to allow it to breathe, unless you prefer to decant.

letting the bottle "sit" allows the wine to "equalize" with the room's temperature.

Hi!

I just store the wine in a cool and dark location in the house (under the bed in the coolest room), or at least in a place where there would be no wild temperature swings. Yes, don't go by room temp here because room temp as indicated in the wine bottle refers to temperature in the temperate zones so that would be around 16 to 18 deg. C. I don't keep a wine in the fridge because it's colder than that. Sometimes with a cold bottle you will have difficulty extracting the cork (not that it matters now with all those screw caps around) and with cheaper wines having it chilled results in an unnatural tannic taste.

But that's just me hehehe. So masi - you can always serve me wine straight from your sofa hehehe....

thanks for all your tips, gentlemen. i will definitely keep everything in mind the next time i serve wine. :) which will be tomorrow pala since i'm having one of my perennial dinner parties. ;)

Edited by lustfortravel

if you're into SUTTERHOME wines i finally found the distributor, its Bestworld Beverage Brand..they will delivery for minimum of 6 bottles...direct prices are 10-15% off the retail price..baka bawal mag post ng numbers dito so PM me na lang for the contact number...i dont work for them, addict lang ako sa moscato nila..

Hi Floppy, has your doctor given you the greenlight to drink? Let me know, it's a cause for celebration!

Not yet, but what he doesn't know ..... Hehehe

Reasons are more due to economics rather than health these days. Business ain't so good lately. Work keeps on increasing but the earnings are dwindling. So less time to enjoy.

Hangang basa na lang sa WRs ninyo, specially Agxo's!

Very interesting inputs, rayt. If Jinro is potato, wheat or barley based, this would be the equivalent of a gin or a vodka. Funny though how alcohol affects women, or maybe it's your appeal rather than the alcohol!

Hi Sir Masi! I tried Antonov Vodka, Gilbeys Gin, and Ginebra San Miguel on the same procedure. The result is not like that on Jinro.

I'm not in the good looks department so appeal is not a factor.

Thanks for the compliment!

hmmm I won't declare your post as off-topic if you divulge what the percentage mix is of Mirinda to Jinro :evil:

thanks for your inputs, pare.

Keep on posting!

Sir Bods1000 the mix of Mirinda is 1 family size to 1 big Jinro (yellow label).

Hi Sir Masi! I tried Antonov Vodka, Gilbeys Gin, and Ginebra San Miguel on the same procedure. The result is not like that on Jinro.

thanks Masi, for the invite, sure will let you know when is my next tasting, please let me know when you'll be having a tasting will be happy for that.

ah! thanks for the info - now I will just have to work on my sex appeal :lol:

BlackStone Pinot Noir 2006 - This is a staple because of its elegant yet subtle complexity.

Gregorio Sangiovese - This is a China made wine. A far cry from the typical "cough syrup" type wines I tasted some years back. This wine is obviously made from very young grape vines. Mostly alcohol and minerals. I would like to taste the product 5-years from now, when the vines have matured and hopefully turn out a more elegant body.

Torbreck Woodcutters Shiraz 2006- A very deep and complex wine starting out with it deep purple color. Elaborate nose and palate of mix ripe berries, cocoa and subtle spice.

Edited by masi

yes that Blackstone is the only black stone that's a gem :thumbsupsmiley: panalo!

the Torbreck transcends it lowly woodcutter's name - more fit for a gemcutter...

the Gregorio lacks some structure, but hey, the ladies seemed to love it!

thanks again, masi and missus, for your hospitality and the great time we had!

cheers!

Enjoy!

i first had soju in the late 70s in korea (shows you how old i am); perhaps in '78. it's cheap wine. at the time we were all speculating it had formaldehyde. as for an american counterpart, think boone's farm :blush:

i first had soju in the late 70s in korea (shows you how old i am); perhaps in '78. it's cheap wine. at the time we were all speculating it had formaldehyde. as for an american counterpart, think boone's farm :blush:

Oh, no! Boone's Farm is positively genteel compared to soju. Think Ripple or Thunderbird - with a healthy dash of Everclear!

Oh, no! Boone's Farm is positively genteel compared to soju. Think Ripple or Thunderbird - with a healthy dash of Everclear!

Boone's Farm was sold in PX stores in Nepo Mart and Dau in Pampanga. This was in the late 70s to 80s.

I remember, for the New Year, my father would "pop" the plastic stopper of Andre Cold Duck! This was the sparkling wine of choice before "Asti".

Boone's Farm was sold in PX stores in Nepo Mart and Dau in Pampanga. This was in the late 70s to 80s.

I remember, for the New Year, my father would "pop" the plastic stopper of Andre Cold Duck! This was the sparkling wine of choice before "Asti".

Hehehe. Andre! I vaguely remember that.

What I do recall is the jug of Spanada. Semi-sweet wine, but way better than Novelino.

Hehehe. Andre! I vaguely remember that.

What I do recall is the jug of Spanada. Semi-sweet wine, but way better than Novelino.

Yeah I recember Spanada, the label has a Spanish Galleon.

There is another US wine which was popular during those day of Boone's Farm, Andre. The bottle shape was like that of Welch Grape juice. The label just skips me.

Yeah I recember Spanada, the label has a Spanish Galleon.

There is another US wine which was popular during those day of Boone's Farm, Andre. The bottle shape was like that of Welch Grape juice. The label just skips me.

Hey! I also remember that! Is that the one that has a screw-cap and comes with a free plastic wine glass?