• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

been reading about these old guys from Sardinia...good ole mountain wine is part of their diet...

seems like some scientist have discovered that grapes grown from high-altitude vineyards have higher polyphenols - this is the stuff in grape skins that give wines their big anti-oxidant whomp...

because of the increased UV content in sunlight in mountainous regions, grapes grown there have adapted by developing thicker skins - thereby developing higher concentrations of polyphenols....

Rifling through Magnum's winelist, masi and I nearly dropped off our seats when we saw the price per bottle of two California wines. Well, they are what is labelled in the wine world as boutique wines, but then again - P164,000 for a 1997 Screaming Eagle Cabernet Sauvignon? What the f**k!!! And then what's that, pareng masi - P149,000 for a Harlan Estate? :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

Wow!

That's my wine money for a year - A single bottle of Screaming Eagle is equivalent to me drinking a P500 wine everyday for a year! :boo:

Hahahaha! So you finally got some Screaming Eagle and Harlan Estates there! Those are not bad prices at all! I've seen them up to $5,000 here. At the Napa Valley Auction a few years back, a case went for over $70,000! Go looking for a Helen Turley or a Kathryn Kennedy as well. Not as expensive, and for my money, just a good, making them a better deal.

'97 was a great year for Napa Valley cabs, but '99 is supposedly the best of the decades. I prefer the '95s, but that's just me, I guess. '95 was also a great year for Napa Valley zins. So for Napa Valley cabs - look for (in descending order, my rankings) - '95, '99, '97/'93, '92, '96''91, '94/'90. I'd rank the '00s right up there with the '99s. Skip the '98s - with very few exceptions that was not a great year. Passable, but why drink a '98 when a '97 will do?

Been off the boards for a while - too much work, not enough time.

Hi Bods! Good to see that wine EB finally came off! Sounds like you had a good time! Too bad I missed it, but maybe next time I'm there. I'll be in Taiwan next week, but no time to head over to Manila this time around. And I'm conserving cash - we're starting a kitchen remodel very, very soon and that's going to run me over $50,000 by the time I'm done!

I did start the buying for that remodel, though, with something very appropriate - a TransTherm wine storage cabinet! Holds 208 bottles - almost enough to hold my not-so-cheap wine. The cheap swill remains in cases in my spare bedroom closet, getting warmer by the day. ;( But the good stuff will finally be resting in a nice, cool, properly humidified "cave". It gets delivered tomorrow, I hope!

I got my latest Neibaum-Coppola wine club shipment a couple of weeks back, and have opened a 2001 zin and a 2002 pinot noir (Director's Reserve). Both very, very nice! Definitely keepers. Gotta go buy a few more of those.

Hahahaha! So you finally got some Screaming Eagle and Harlan Estates there! Those are not bad prices at all! I've seen them up to $5,000 here. At the Napa Valley Auction a few years back, a case went for over $70,000! Go looking for a Helen Turley or a Kathryn Kennedy as well. Not as expensive, and for my money, just a good, making them a better deal.

'97 was a great year for Napa Valley cabs, but '99 is supposedly the best of the decades. I prefer the '95s, but that's just me, I guess. '95 was also a great year for Napa Valley zins. So for Napa Valley cabs - look for (in descending order, my rankings) - '95, '99, '97/'93, '92, '96''91, '94/'90. I'd rank the '00s right up there with the '99s. Skip the '98s - with very few exceptions that was not a great year. Passable, but why drink a '98 when a '97 will do?

Been off the boards for a while - too much work, not enough time.

Hi Bods! Good to see that wine EB finally came off! Sounds like you had a good time! Too bad I missed it, but maybe next time I'm there. I'll be in Taiwan next week, but no time to head over to Manila this time around. And I'm conserving cash - we're starting a kitchen remodel very, very soon and that's going to run me over $50,000 by the time I'm done!

I did start the buying for that remodel, though, with something very appropriate - a TransTherm wine storage cabinet! Holds 208 bottles - almost enough to hold my not-so-cheap wine. The cheap swill remains in cases in my spare bedroom closet, getting warmer by the day. ;( But the good stuff will finally be resting in a nice, cool, properly humidified "cave". It gets delivered tomorrow, I hope!

I got my latest Neibaum-Coppola wine club shipment a couple of weeks back, and have opened a 2001 zin and a 2002 pinot noir (Director's Reserve). Both very, very nice! Definitely keepers. Gotta go buy a few more of those.

pare, welcome back!

yeah that's how I guessed it - auction prices have driven the retail prices of these wines skyhigh...

I don't have any idea who distributes Screaming Eagle and Harlan Estate here ...could be Anthony's themselves....I know Bacchus has Stag's Leap and Rutherford among other wines....

If 99 is supposed to be better than the 97's, imagine how much a 99 Screaming Eagle will cost :blink:

pare the EB would have been better if you were around. As it was, it was a great and auspicious start.

Just as I thought - the first thing you would think of in a kitchen remodel is a wine cooler :P

pare, welcome back!

yeah that's how I guessed it - auction prices have driven the retail prices of these wines skyhigh...

I don't have any idea who distributes Screaming Eagle and Harlan Estate here ...could be Anthony's themselves....I know Bacchus has Stag's Leap and Rutherford among other wines....

If 99 is supposed to be better than the 97's, imagine how much a 99 Screaming Eagle will cost :blink:

pare the EB would have been better if you were around. As it was, it was a great and auspicious start.

Just as I thought - the first thing you would think of in a kitchen remodel is a wine cooler :P

I'm trying to get out that way later in the year, but I think I'll wait until after typhoon season has passed, since I can't make it this time around. So that makes it - what? October/November?

Hey - that's not just any wine cooler! It both cools AND heats, not that heating will be necessary where it will be placed. AND it manages humidity as well. Supposedly one of the best. We'll see. I left work early since I am getting on a plane just after midnight tonight and wanted to do some stuff here before heading out - like getting the wine into the cooler, which I will get to as soon as I finish backing up my laptop and setting up the Web access for my work email.

Stags Leap is really good, as is Rutherford, although I like Chimney Rock over the Rutherford. Too many wineries, too many good wines, not enough time......

I'm trying to get out that way later in the year, but I think I'll wait until after typhoon season has passed, since I can't make it this time around. So that makes it - what? October/November?

Hey - that's not just any wine cooler! It both cools AND heats, not that heating will be necessary where it will be placed. AND it manages humidity as well. Supposedly one of the best. We'll see. I left work early since I am getting on a plane just after midnight tonight and wanted to do some stuff here before heading out - like getting the wine into the cooler, which I will get to as soon as I finish backing up my laptop and setting up the Web access for my work email.

Stags Leap is really good, as is Rutherford, although I like Chimney Rock over the Rutherford. Too many wineries, too many good wines, not enough time......

Stag's Leap is cool, but it's way over my budget :P

there's still some typhoon in Nov I think..best bet is early December..

been silently reading the posts here..grabe! i admire you guys. i just cant take wine like you do..i have allergies with alcohol. how i'd wish i can enjoy it the way you do.

tito masi - how can i join you in the next eb...eh been reading the post i cant even relate :( i might be out of place if i join...whatchatink?

for me, you're so much welcome to join the next gig :)

been silently reading the posts here..grabe! i admire you guys. i just cant take wine like you do..i have allergies with alcohol. how i'd wish i can enjoy it the way you do.

tito masi - how can i join you in the next eb...eh been reading the post i cant even relate :( i might be out of place if i join...whatchatink?

well, as bods have said you are always welcome to join our activities.... you may even want to pay for what we drink.. :) .... just kidding.

i am sure we would graciously accept the pleasure of your company :upside:

well, as bods have said you are always welcome to join our activities.... you may even want to pay for what we drink.. :) .... just kidding.

i am sure we would graciously accept the pleasure of your company :upside:

as what happened during the first EB, our get-together is not in any way intimidating, as in puro technical talk...of course not - we talk about anything and everything under the sun - wine is just the vehicle to get us talking :P

hey, I was able to buy a Gran Trillo - pare, ok pala siya - real yummy for THAT price!

Dalawa na ngayon ang choices ko for everyday drinking..

as what happened during the first EB, our get-together is not in any way intimidating, as in puro technical talk...of course not - we talk about anything and everything under the sun - wine is just the vehicle to get us talking :P

hey, I was able to buy a Gran Trillo - pare, ok pala siya - real yummy for THAT price!

Dalawa na ngayon ang choices ko for everyday drinking..

told you so... and which reminds me ... i must get a couple of those myself ...

told you so... and which reminds me ... i must get a couple of those myself ...

I got it at Landmark....surprised to see it there :P

I'm now drinking an Argentine malbec - really quite thin.......the only reason I bought it was that I was looking for a high-altitude wine - it was from the Mendoza region in Argentina...I guess that's it for experimentation :P

It was even more expensive than the Gran Trillo or a Butterfly Ridge but heck I'd choose those two anytime...

I got it at Landmark....surprised to see it there :P

I'm now drinking an Argentine malbec - really quite thin.......the only reason I bought it was that I was looking for a high-altitude wine - it was from the Mendoza region in Argentina...I guess that's it for experimentation :P

It was even more expensive than the Gran Trillo or a Butterfly Ridge but heck I'd choose those two anytime...

i am sure high altitude wine would have effect on the fruitness of the grape and the fermentation process. i havent tried high altitude wines... although i'v tried the "mit pradikat" german wine which i think are the equivalent of late harvest.

so much to try....

miss manners et al... have not replied to the notion of another eb... i'm just waiting....

Ola Winos! :D I was at Nuvo the other night with 20+ colleagues from work celebrating some industry awards we won and as I walked through the door, I pictured Bods and Masi in my mind sitting at a secluded corner enjoying their wine. :)

Anyway I have no effing idea what we drank that night just that there was champagne, white and red wine overflowing. After the first 30mins of drinking, I think my tastebuds just got numb and I couldn't taste a thing anymore except feel the alcohol go to my head. :blink: Such a waste of good wine. :lol:

I'm joinster for the next Wine and Cheese socials, hopefully that happens soon? :D

Cheers big ears! :thumbsupsmiley:

i am sure high altitude wine would have effect on the fruitness of the grape and the fermentation process.  i havent tried high altitude wines... although i'v tried the "mit pradikat" german wine which i think are the equivalent of late harvest.

so much to try.... 

miss manners et al... have not replied to the notion of another eb... i'm just waiting....

I'm sure there's some high-alti wines that are good - must do some research before buying the next one...after all, the one I had was a real cheapo :P