i consider myself a wine snob. but was surprised to find that some supermarket-grade wines are ok. JUST OK. not fabulous or anything. drinkable at best.

when beggars can't be choosers, grocery fare can satisfy.

I do not know enough about wines, but there was a small grocery store in Kalayaan Rd (near QC Hall) that used to have a good collection and I experimented with a dozen or so. I remember missing the international bazaar that year, so I had to look for inexpensive sources. Mind, this was a couple of years ago.

Room temperature is ok in my experience. I opened some bottles left in the kitchen rack a few weeks ago, some were 1997-98. This is the warmest place in my house. A few were bad. Some bottles were really good even though they are just ordinary red wine (vin de table, vin de pays). Very smooth with long finish and better than some very expensive wine I have tried. I just leave the cheap wine, mostly gifts, in the kitchen. Good wine I keep in a cool place where they keep for years. I read that room temperature (vs. refrigerated) accelerates aging, so I think it works if you only want to keep for 2-3 years.

i consider myself a wine snob. but was surprised to find that some supermarket-grade wines are ok. JUST OK. not fabulous or anything. drinkable at best.

when beggars can't be choosers, grocery fare can satisfy.

That's really true. I used to buy regularly wine at 2-5k/bottle, but sometimes not worth it to try to keep up with your friends. I decided I like whites and lighter reds, vs very powerful sosyal bordeaux's. I find better cheap wine at Santi's, than at grocery stores. Maybe because the storage is better.

I love RED WINE!...That's my fave!....I also like white wine and Champaigne. No particular brand....I would like to experiment and try something new every time... ;)

you can try experimenting with different varietals each time...say, Cabernet Sauvignon, then Shiraz, then merlot, then pinot noir, etc to see how they match up with one another and so that you can pick your favorite grape :)

next week's fine with me :)

same venue, I presume?

say, are those your lips in your avatar?  :blush:

I've been wondering what shiraz you had during the Neruda reading...............

Visit the Neruda thread Bods! :P I think Z is offering his place as the venue.

Oui, c'est moi. :blush: Do you think an eye shot would be better? :lol:

I actually wanted to drink Zin but since they didn't have it at the shop, I was offered a Gnangara Shiraz 2000 (aussie, i luvvvv aussie shiraz! :lol:). It did not have that oaky/spicy hint of the other shirazes I have tried, it was actually fruity and chocolatey and I could hardly taste the tannin. Apparently Gnangara is the 2nd tier label of Evans & Tate (yes Margaret River!) and it's surprisingly good quality commercial wine. Lush (don't you just love the way that word rolls of your tongue?!!! :lol:) and not overblown is how one critic describes their reds.

Visit the Neruda thread Bods!  :P  I think Z is offering his place as the venue. 

Oui, c'est moi. :blush:  Do you think an eye shot would be better? :lol:

I actually wanted to drink Zin but since they didn't have it at the shop, I was offered a Gnangara Shiraz 2000 (aussie, i luvvvv aussie shiraz! :lol:).  It did not have that oaky/spicy hint of the other shirazes I have tried, it was actually fruity and chocolatey and I could hardly taste the tannin.  Apparently Gnangara is the 2nd tier label of Evans & Tate (yes Margaret River!) and it's surprisingly good quality commercial wine.  Lush (don't you just love the way that word rolls of your tongue?!!! :lol:) and not overblown is how one critic describes their reds.

If it's Z's place (hey I think that's just in Valle Verde), we can bring our own wines :boo:

I'd bring a Margaret River wine - aren't they delicious! I think that's a good occasion to trundle out that shiraz I've been hiding since 2000 hehehe...

you sound like a seasoned wine reviewer, and lush, yeah...you couldn't lisp on that....that's an interesting wine you had - never heard of it till now....

no, a deeper shot of your lush mouth is I think better :blush:

If it's Z's place (hey I think that's just in Valle Verde), we can bring our own wines :boo:

I'd bring a Margaret River wine - aren't they delicious! I think that's a good occasion to trundle out that  shiraz I've been hiding since 2000 hehehe...

you sound like a seasoned wine reviewer, and lush, yeah...you couldn't lisp on that....that's an interesting wine you had - never heard of it till now....

no, a deeper shot of your lush mouth is I think better :blush:

Hahahaha Bods, yes itago natin kung saang village nakatira si Z sa pangalang Valle Verde Ek. :lol:

I wonder if Z still has that bottle of Margaret River wine he promised me a 6 months ago :blink: Failing that, yes let's drink your drop! :lol: Haha a seasoned wine reviewer I am not, I think I just know what I like in my wines and am just describing it based on the texture and taste in my mouth. :P But I do love the word lush ... without the lisp. ;)

Wine and Neruda go very well together. :)

p.s. if the shot was any deeper, you would see what i had for brekkie! :lol: Cheers!

Hahahaha Bods, yes itago natin kung saang village nakatira si Z sa pangalang Valle Verde Ek. :lol:

I wonder if Z still has that bottle of Margaret River wine he promised me a 6 months ago :blink:  Failing that, yes let's drink your drop! :lol:  Haha a seasoned wine reviewer I am not, I think I just know what I like in my wines and am just describing it based on the texture and taste in my mouth. :P  But I do love the word lush ... without the lisp. ;)

Wine and Neruda go very well together.  :) 

p.s. if the shot was any deeper, you would see what i had for brekkie! :lol:  Cheers!

somehow the way you string together the words texture, taste and mouth gives your post a different coloration to me - let's say purple, as in purple cabernet :P

Lush will give me, not just a lisp, but a stutter :blush:

I'm looking forward to that next Neruda thingie....

p.s. I was hoping the shot would go beyond that :P

somehow the way you string together the words texture, taste and mouth gives your post a different coloration to me - let's say purple, as in purple cabernet  :P

Lush will give me, not just a lisp, but a stutter :blush:

I'm looking forward to that next Neruda thingie....

p.s. I was hoping the shot would go beyond that :P

Purple ... like the color of ripe berries bursting with juice ;) I'll bring 2 bottles of that Gnangara Shiraz at the next reading so you can have a taste. :) Am not sure if you will like it but I kinda reckon you will :unsure:

p.s. beyond the current ... errr you want to see my tonsils???? :blink:

:lol:

Purple ... like the color of ripe berries bursting with juice ;)  I'll bring 2 bottles of that Gnangara Shiraz at the next reading so you can have a taste. :)  Am not sure if you will like it but I kinda reckon you will :unsure:

p.s. beyond the current ... errr you want to see my tonsils???? :blink:

:lol:

for a while there I thought I was reading some purple prose :P

Ikaw naman, except for the usual suspects (like Franzia, Carlo Rossi, Florillon, etc) I will drink almost anything lalo na if it comes from the fruit of the vineyard...I will try anything new :rolleyes:

2 bottles? so magnanimous of you...siguro I'll also bring 2 - that makes 4 bottles plus maybe they'll also bring theirs - it will be a lush evening :P

p.s. the confluence of the mole, lips and tongue might have been something to inspire Neruda.... :blush:

Hello guys and gals. Just curious if anyone has tried the Ice Wine from Canada?

" Grapes are left on the vine well into the winter months. The resulting freezing and thawing of the grapes dehydrates the fruit, and concentrates the sugars, acids, and extracts in the berries, thereby intensifying the flavours and adding complexity to the wine made from it."

http://www.inniskillin.com/en/images/ice/imageRight5.jpg

LINK

for a while there I thought I was reading some purple prose :P

Ikaw naman, except for the usual suspects (like Franzia, Carlo Rossi, Florillon, etc) I will drink almost anything lalo na if it comes from the fruit of the vineyard...I will try anything new :rolleyes:

2 bottles? so magnanimous of you...siguro I'll also bring 2 - that makes 4 bottles plus maybe they'll also bring theirs - it will be a lush evening :P 

p.s. the confluence of the mole, lips and tongue might have been something to inspire Neruda.... :blush:

Haha I think that must be the effect of Neruda on my wine :lol: Hey, have you had an interesting drop lately that you reckon I might enjoy as well?

Am bringing 2 bottles because akin yung isang bote! :lol: They bloody better make sure they bring a bottle each!!!! And I do so love the word Lush ... lush as the berry liquid that flows from the canticle, lush as the lips that laces itself with the liquid of love ... lusciously ... lush. ;)

p.s. haha you flatter me too much! I would've loved to have Neruda make mad love to my lips with his words. :blush:

Edited by Lipstick
Haha I think that must be the effect of Neruda on my wine :lol:  Hey, have you had an interesting drop lately that you reckon I might enjoy as well?

Am bringing 2 bottles because akin yung isang bote! :lol:  They bloody better make sure they bring a bottle each!!!!  And I do so love the word Lush ... lush as the berry liquid that flows from the canticle, lush as the lips that laces itself with the liquid of love ... lusciously ... lush. ;)

p.s.  haha you flatter me too much!  I would've loved to have Neruda make mad love to my lips with his words.  :blush:

hahaha....

it's quite wonderful how lush rhymes with gush, and how very near it is to gash......lush....lips......lace.....liquid....gush........gash........alliterat

on that dances on the pinhead of impure visions :blush:

I am partial to Aussie wine, particularly shiraz, so my wines of choice rarely veer away from these.

Try the Brookland Valley (Margaret River din ito) and if you want something from the hotter climes in Oz, the Grant Burge is a safe bet.

p.s. simple flattery would not have done justice to the image in your avatar, maybe not even Neruda's magical words :blush:

Bods, congrats...this thread has prospered and evolved from mere exchanges of views about the tastes and tannins of an infinite variety of wines to dissections and discussions of Neruda's lines. I hope to be joining your wine EBs soon, pare...I am wondering what bottle I should get here...

pare it's because there's a Neruda thread here somewhere and it kinda seeped somehow into this thread...something like the wine seeping through the cork :P

there's been no wine EB yet - what they had was a Neruda reading-cum-wine sipping thingy...I guess that would interest you more....

welcome back, pare - I hope to see you soon...

I wonder if Z still has that bottle of Margaret River wine he promised me a 6 months ago :blink:  Failing that, yes let's drink your drop! :lol:  Haha a seasoned wine reviewer I am not, I think I just know what I like in my wines and am just describing it based on the texture and taste in my mouth. :P  But I do love the word lush ... without the lisp. ;)

Wine and Neruda go very well together.  :) 

p.s. if the shot was any deeper, you would see what i had for brekkie! :lol:  Cheers!

Yeah, I live in some green valley :lol:

Sorry folks but there is definitely no Margaret River wine left and an uncertain future supply given that I resigned from my company. I'm unavailable on May 11 but am good for the 12th. I'm just a sms away.

Yeah, I live in some green valley  :lol: 

Sorry folks but there is definitely no Margaret River wine left and an uncertain future supply given that I resigned from my company.  I'm unavailable on May 11 but am good for the 12th.  I'm just a sms away.

sayang pare, I miss that Watervale :P

anyway, the bottle I'd be bringing is from Margaret River - remember that wine we drank before?

hey guys - read this just now...

a new device has been invented by 2 French wine experts in the Burgundy region to treat corked wines.

It acts as some sort of magnet whose electrostatic charge is used to draw away the molecule that causes the unpleasant taste in corked wine.

It consists of a synthetic material over which you pour the damaged wine in a carafe.

Within an hour, it is claimed that the unpleasant taste disappears and the wine can be drank as normal.

However the kit costs 40 euros (51 dollars) and it comes with two free filters. Replacement filters cost 5 euros each.

So the news article ends by saying "Cheaper bottles (corked ones) - in other words - will continue to be poured down the sink." :P