Cabernet sauvignon, merlot, shiraz/syrah, petite sirah, grenache, mourvedre, alicante bouschet, charbono, zinfandel/primitivo, cabernet franc.............all of these are different varieties of grapes. This is not a complete list, BTW. Some are made into wine by themselves, others are blended with outher varietals. For example, a claret is typically a blend of cab. sauv. and merlot, sometimes with some cab. franc thrown in.

French and Italian wines are typically labeled by region - Bordeaux, Burgundy, Chianti.......they all use different varietals. For example, a Bordeaux may be a cab. suav., a merlot, a blend of the two, or a blend of the two plus cab franc. Chianti can be a sangiovese, or a merlot, or a blend.

They do all taste different, and that's what makes wine tasting so exciting.

One thing to note - the only wines that can be called champagne are those made in the Champagne region in France (Reims, Epernay and that area). All others are sparkling wine, but not champagne. That doesn't mean that they're not good, just that they're not champagne.

Hope this helps a bit.

thanks for the reply it does help a bit!! :cool:

There is 1 beside the Santis store in Yakal St. Makati.  It's probably owned by the same person.  Magnum at GB3 is owned by the Trillo's.  Wide variety to choose from.

Some other bars with a notable wine list, Kiplings at the Mandarin and Churchills at Edsa Shang.  Although both are more know to be cigar and whiskey bars.

the one beside Santi's - is that Bianca's? The Trillos have their Anthony's wine store right in front of Santi's, di ba? I didn't know that Magnum is owned by the Trillos - kaya pala puro Anthony's ang wine nila...yeah sa pangalan pa lang ng Churchills mukhang cigar bar na - Churchill was a known cigar afficionado...

the one that closed down was Shiraz Wine Bar in Perea St, I think...

maganda din yung wine list ng Chateau 1771 sa Malate...

my main beef with these restos with wine is that yung house wine nila - the one you can order by the glass - ay yung mga talagang pipitsugin na wine - think Carlo Rossi or Gato Negro. The really good wines in the list go for about 4 to 5 times the grocery price - if you can find them in groceries - and you can't order them by the glass.

how about the later vintages of Noah - '98 onwards? So they're mellowed out in stainless steel tanks? Kaya wala siguro syang trace ng vanilla flavors - winemakers sometimes mature wine to impart that vanilla taste which some wine drinkers love...

Ok some bit of wine trivia...there are two kinds of oak used to mature wine - French and American oak. The difference they say is that wine matured in French oak gives off a smoother taste while wine matured in American oak has a rougher edge to it...

For the newcomers to wine - ever wondered why some wines are more expensive than others? One factor that jacks up the cost is the oak. The premium wines are matured in NEW oak barrels - and new oak barrels cost a lot of money. The second-tier wines are matured in oak that's been used before for maturing the premium lines of a winery - so they cost less but the flavor imparted by the oak is less intense...Now the really cheapo wines are not matured in oak anymore. Sometimes oak chips are immersed in the fermenting wine to give off some semblance of oak - pero masama na din ang lumalabas na lasa nito :D

Another cost differential is the amount of time involved in oak maturation - of course, longer maturation times in new barrels would lead to more expensive wines....

Later vintages have been tamer. Not as big as the 97. Still tasty, still holding in tanks instead of barrels. I have '98 and 2000 (there were no '99s) still waiting to be opened and consumed. :D

French oak seems to impart less toast, less charcoal and smoother tannins than American oak. American oak seems to be more aggressive, but lots of American winemakers like to use a medium toast American oak barrel to get that vanilla-butter-"caramelly" toast flavor. I, for one, hate that, so I'm a charter member of the ABC (Anything But Chardonnay) club.

French oak barrels are $600/each now! For American oak, it's about $400.

yeah very true - kung lasang suka na don't use it anymore...

Unless you're making adobo! :lol:

Seriously - if you have wine that's been sitting opened for a few days and you don't like it anymore, don't throw it out! Let it continue its final trnasofrmation and end up as vinegar. Red wine vinegar is great in salad dressings or as part of a marinade for BBQ. White eine vinegar is good in adobo and other dishes that call for a bit of vinegar.

Later vintages have been tamer. Not as big as the 97. Still tasty, still holding in tanks instead of barrels. I have '98 and 2000 (there were no '99s) still waiting to be opened and consumed.  :D

French oak seems to impart less toast, less charcoal and smoother tannins than American oak. American oak seems to be more aggressive, but lots of American winemakers like to use a medium toast American oak barrel to get that vanilla-butter-"caramelly" toast flavor. I, for one, hate that, so I'm a charter member of the ABC (Anything But Chardonnay) club.

French oak barrels are $600/each now! For American oak, it's about $400.

wow ang mahal na pala talaga ng oak barrels....

there's the unwooded chardonnay - not matured in oak - but I still prefer sauvignon blancs and semillons from Western Australia....but then again I have not been that exposed to rieslings...

sometimes it's the style the winemaker wants that dictates what oak to use - if he wants a big tannins he uses American; if he wants it to have some finesse, he goes French...

Edited by bods1000
Unless you're making adobo!  :lol:

Seriously - if you have wine that's been sitting opened for a few days and you don't like it anymore, don't throw it out! Let it continue its final trnasofrmation and end up as vinegar. Red wine vinegar is great in salad dressings or as part of a marinade for BBQ. White eine vinegar is good in adobo and other dishes that call for a bit of vinegar.

nakatikim ako ng red wine vinegar when I happened to be abroad one time and I fell in love with it - masarap when you drizzle it with olive oil over some salad greens...when I went home I brought along some red wine vinegar along with some red wines...I gotta try yung sinabi mong white wine vinegar sa adobo - I may let some of my whites go to "ruin" :D

Just have to rave a bit.......

Just finished dinner. Wifey cooked up some ravioli she picked up in Berkeley - procini mushsroom ravioli. Had it with extra virgin oilve oit drizzled over it, and fresh ground parmigianno reggiano cheese. Wow....but I opened up a bottle of......

a J 1997 Nicole's Vineyard pinot noir. Bright cheeries on the nose. Along with some raspberries and a bit of smoke. On the palate - bright red cherries, raspberries, a bit of leather, a hint of black pepper. Wow - now THAT's what pinot noir should be like. Smooth. Restrained tannins. Lots of fruit. A hint of coffee. And no "barnyard". I have a couple more 97's and a couple of 98's. Those are going to get buried deep in the "cellar" and are not going to see th3 lgiht of day for another 3 years! If that was this good now, imagine what it will be like then!!

Was a part of their wine club for a couple of years, and they make some damn good pinot noirs. Their sparkling wines are pretty good, too!

Just have to rave a bit.......

Just finished dinner. Wifey cooked up some ravioli she picked up in Berkeley - procini mushsroom ravioli. Had it with extra virgin oilve oit drizzled over it, and fresh ground parmigianno reggiano cheese. Wow....but  I opened up a bottle of......

a J 1997 Nicole's Vineyard pinot noir. Bright cheeries on the nose. Along with some raspberries and a bit of smoke. On the palate - bright red cherries, raspberries, a bit of leather, a hint of black pepper. Wow - now THAT's what pinot noir should be like. Smooth. Restrained tannins. Lots of fruit. A hint of coffee. And no "barnyard". I have a couple more 97's and a couple of 98's. Those are going to get buried deep in the "cellar" and are not going to see th3 lgiht of day for another 3 years! If that was this good now, imagine what it will be like then!!

Was a part of their wine club for a couple of years, and they make some damn good pinot noirs. Their sparkling wines are pretty good, too!

Now I have to rant here because we don't get those wines you're having there :D

Ang dami din talagang mga wines na kung tutuusin mo mga obscure pero champion ang dating....there's not a lot of pinot noirs here, btw...

Now I have to rant here because we don't get those wines you're having there :D

Ang dami din talagang mga wines na kung tutuusin mo mga obscure pero champion ang dating....there's not a lot of pinot noirs here, btw...

I guess I really got to work on that, huh? This week will be better, I hope, and the game of phone tag will end. :D

California has over 2,000 wineries! Most of them only sell wines at the winery or tasting room, or via phone/Internet. On rare occassions, you will find them at a local liquor store or small grocery.

Only the big guys (50,000+ cases a year) are distributed state-wide, and beyond. What I've found is that the small wineries have a higher percentage of goooooood wines, compared to the big guys.

Cost is not always indicative of quality, but as the cost goes up the chances that the wine is good also go up. As a percentage, there are more good wines over $20 than in the $10-20 range, and yet more than in the sub-$10 range. That J Nicole's Vineyard pinot noir sells for $35/btl at full retail.

I did hear that Ravenswood (a Sonoma county winery famous for its zins) is now selling a Shiraz from Australia for $10/btl. That means that at the discount stores it will go for less. If you can find this wine there, I would say it's worth a try. Ravenswood is a good winery.

I guess I really got to work on that, huh? This week will be better, I hope, and the game of phone tag will end. :D

California has over 2,000 wineries! Most of them only sell wines at the winery or tasting room, or via phone/Internet. On rare occassions, you will find them at a local liquor store or small grocery.

Only the big guys (50,000+ cases a year) are distributed state-wide, and beyond. What I've found is that the small wineries have a higher percentage of goooooood wines, compared to the big guys.

Cost is not always indicative of quality, but as the cost goes up the chances that the wine is good also go up. As a percentage, there are more good wines over $20 than in the $10-20 range, and yet more than in the sub-$10 range. That J Nicole's Vineyard pinot noir sells for $35/btl at full retail.

I did hear that Ravenswood (a Sonoma county winery famous for its zins) is now selling a Shiraz from Australia for $10/btl. That means that at the discount stores it will go for less. If you can find this wine there, I would say it's worth a try. Ravenswood is a good winery.

yeah Ravenswood is one of the big guns over there...if they're selling an Aussie shiraz it must be under another name...I'll check...mahal pala yang Nicole's kaya pala ganyan kasarap and cellar-worthy....

I just opened my 2001 shiraz because I have no wine to drink last night and nanghinayang ako kasi it's good for 5 years or more...pero it was still worth it...

what I'm saving up is the 2000 - it's the best I've tasted so far and...

Pare don't get pressured by your wine search - ok lang naman :D

yeah Ravenswood is one of the big guns over there...if they're selling an Aussie shiraz it must be under another name...I'll check...mahal pala yang Nicole's kaya pala ganyan kasarap and cellar-worthy....

I just opened my 2001 shiraz because I have no wine to drink last night and nanghinayang ako kasi it's good for 5 years or more...pero it was still worth it...

what I'm saving up is the 2000 - it's the best I've tasted so far and...

Pare don't get pressured by your wine search - ok lang naman :D

The Ravenswood shiraz seems like it's under the Ravenswood label. Apparently Ravenswood bought some land in Australia (and I thought the news article said in the Barossa Valley?) and gets the grapes from that area. How they ship over, I don't know yet. I would expect that they'd make the wine and bottle it there and then send it ove the big pond to here, but I could be wrong!

A few years ago, Mondai started selling "Mediterranean" wine under the Vichon label. Turns out they were shipping the grape juice from Italy, making the wine here and bottling, which resulted in not-so-good wines. Vichon used to be a well-respected small label in the Napa Valley until Mondavi bought them and turned them into a schlock label.

What was that shiraz you opened up? If I can find it here, I want to give it a try!

The Ravenswood shiraz seems like it's under the Ravenswood label. Apparently Ravenswood bought some land in Australia (and I thought the news article said in the Barossa Valley?) and gets the grapes from that area. How they ship over, I don't know yet. I would expect that they'd make the wine and bottle it there and then send it ove the big pond to here, but I could be wrong!

A few years ago, Mondai started selling "Mediterranean" wine under the Vichon label. Turns out they were shipping the grape juice from Italy, making the wine here and bottling, which resulted in not-so-good wines. Vichon used to be a well-respected small label in the Napa Valley until Mondavi bought them and turned them into a schlock label.

What was that shiraz you opened up? If I can find it here, I want to give it a try!

speaking of Mondavi, pare they were bought now by Constellation Brands for something like $2 billion. Robert Mondavi becomes some sort of a figurehead na lang pero talagang nagkaproblema yata ang Mondavi kaya nagpabenta....

It's an obscure winery in the Margaret River in Western Australia called Moss Brothers - hindi pa yata siya masyadong widely-distributed dyan pero it's good - a bloody ripper of a wine - especially the 2000....

Kung sa Barossa yang Ravenswood malamang mga big, bruising shiraz yung gagawin nila...the shiraz in Margaret River has a lot of finesse because the climate there is Mediterranean-like...

speaking of Mondavi, pare they were bought now by Constellation Brands for something like $2 billion. Robert Mondavi becomes some sort of a figurehead na lang pero talagang nagkaproblema yata ang Mondavi kaya nagpabenta....

It's an obscure winery in the Margaret River in Western Australia called Moss Brothers - hindi pa yata siya masyadong widely-distributed dyan pero it's good - a bloody ripper of a wine - especially the 2000....

Kung sa Barossa yang Ravenswood malamang mga big, bruising shiraz yung gagawin nila...the shiraz in Margaret River has a lot of finesse because the climate there is Mediterranean-like...

Yup - big news here that Mondavi got bought out by Constellation. Not yet sure if that's good or bad. The original plan was to split the company into the high-end labels and the mass-market labels, and sell off the mass-market side. Constellation apparently made it a rquirement that it was all or nothing.

Robert Mondavi has had a history of family in-fighting, which from all reports, is what started the company down this path. The other Mondavi brothers, Peter among them, still own Krug. Many years ago, Robert and Peter who at that time jointly ran Krug had a big fight that turned into real family feud. The result was that Robert left the family business to start Mondavi Winery. That was 30+ years ago. Krug is still a family business, while Mondavi just got sold to a conglomerate. The Rothschilds must be pretty unhappy! Opus One, which is a joint venture between the Rothschileds of Chateaux Lafite fame and Mondavi, and produces a really high end wine ($105/btl at Costco last weekend), is part of the sale.

I'll look around for the Moss Brothers shiraz. Maybe I'll go looking for the Ravenswood to see what it's like as well.

Hi Bods and wine afficionados! I've been back in Sydney and have gulped over 10 bottles of red and 5 bottles of white. I say gulp because I can't taste a thing and can't even recall what I drank. Since my hubby passed away everything has just lost it's taste.

Sorry to be morose but what I meant to write is I'm going to be able to share my vino experiences in the days to come as I spend more time in Syd and my taste buds come back.

Hi Bods and wine afficionados!  I've been back in Sydney and have gulped over 10 bottles of red and 5 bottles of white.  I say gulp because I can't taste a thing and can't even recall what I drank.  Since my hubby passed away everything has just lost it's taste.

Sorry to be morose but what I meant to write is I'm going to be able to share my vino experiences in the days to come as I spend more time in Syd and my taste buds come back.

Lipstick, sorry to hear about your loss. Not surprising that nothing registers right now. It takes a while, then slowly you work your way out of the fog.

If it helps, we're all here for support, even if we're miles and miles apart physically.

Yup - big news here that Mondavi got bought out by Constellation. Not yet sure if that's good or bad. The original plan was to split the company into the high-end labels and the mass-market labels, and sell off the mass-market side. Constellation apparently made it a rquirement that it was all or nothing.

Robert Mondavi has had a history of family in-fighting, which from all reports, is what started the company down this path. The other Mondavi brothers, Peter among them, still own Krug. Many years ago, Robert and Peter who at that time jointly ran Krug had a big fight that turned into real family feud. The result was that Robert left the family business to start Mondavi Winery. That was 30+ years ago. Krug is still a family business, while Mondavi just got sold to a conglomerate. The Rothschilds must be pretty unhappy! Opus One, which is a joint venture between the Rothschileds of Chateaux Lafite fame and Mondavi, and produces a really high end wine ($105/btl at Costco last weekend), is part of the sale.

I'll look around for the Moss Brothers shiraz. Maybe I'll go looking for the Ravenswood to see what it's like as well.

I don't have any skinny on their latest vintage (MB Shiraz) - haven't tasted it myself. Their best was the 2000, then the 2001 turned out as less superior although 5 cases din ang kinuha sa akin ng German expat na yun. Try looking for their Cabernet Sauvignon-Merlot - the best was the 1998 - if you can get your hands on it...

pards what wines does Constellation Brands carry? Isn't it that Mondavi also jointly-ventured with the Chilean Errazuriz? Caliterra ba yung ginawa nila?

Hi Bods and wine afficionados!  I've been back in Sydney and have gulped over 10 bottles of red and 5 bottles of white.  I say gulp because I can't taste a thing and can't even recall what I drank.  Since my hubby passed away everything has just lost it's taste.

I've been reading your posts in the MailBox and we commiserate with your loss....

we highly appreciate your passing by the Thread...do hang on - wounds heal and taste buds return :)

Ola Agxo3 and Bods, thank you for your very kind words and thoughts. :) 

Tomorrow este tonight pala (it's already quarter to 2am here) am going to do some serious wine drinking (I think), should have an amateur's report over the weekend.  Hehe.  Cheers!

cheers, too!

Hey, there's a Wine Festival there in Sydney this Nov. 25 - read it's gonna be a mammoth event....sure wish we were there!

Hang on, mamaLips - we love you here!

ok I read something about Constellation Brands:

It turns out that Constellation, which is based in NY, is the world's biggest wine producer - they passed Gallo a year or so ago. They grew big mainly by acquisition but they are known for their hands-off approach to the wineries they buy.

Agxo, get this - among their labels is Ravenswood - so it makes sense that Ravenswood is venturing into the Aussie bush because Constellation also owns the Aussie labels BRL Hardy and Banrock Station. Their other labels are Almaden, Inglenook, Vendange, Talus, Turner Road, Covey Run, Ste Chappelle, Alice White, Cribari, Paul Masson, Dunnewood (!), Farrallon, Franciscan Oakville Estate, Estancia, Mt Veeder and Simi and some others..............

Here are the other behemoths in the wne world and the labels they carry:

E&J Gallo:

Anapamu, Frei Brothers, Louis Martini, Mirassou, Rancho Zabaco, Turning Leaf, Ecco Domani, Redwood Creek, Livingston Cellars, Carlo Rossi, Wild Vines, Copperridge, Ballatore Spumante, etc...

Bronco Wines:

Charles Shaw (Two-Buck Chuck :D ), Forest Glen, Montpellier, Grand CRu, Silver Ridge, Rutherford, Crane Lake, Napa Ridge, etc....

The Wine Group:

Franzia Boxed wine, Concannon, Glen Ellen, Corbett Canyon, Austin Vale, Costa Verde, Morassuti, etc.....

Interesting how many well-respected labels are owned by comglomerates, eh? You're right - Constellation does have a good repurtation for being pretty hands off and giving the labels leeway to manage themselves. Given the internal feud between the low-end and high-end parts of the business, however, how they strike the balance will signal the fate of the different labels.

Interesting also that Constellation now owns the Inglenook brand. The old Inglenook winery was bought by Heublein in the 70's after which it degenerated from being a premium wine outfit to a schlock, mass-produced, low quality, box-wine label. They've got quite a mix ranging from high-end "good" wines to mass market supermarket labels.

Francis Ford Coppola (of Apocalypse Now and Godfather fame) bought the old estate and vineyards back in the 80s. He's slowly bought up the properties around the estate, re-assembling just about all, if not all, of the original vineyards as established by Swedish sea captain Gustav Neibaum, who established the winery that came to be known as Inglenook. Hence the name Neibaum-Coppola.

Which reminds me - I have a couple of '95 Mondavi zins (and at least one '92 and '93!) hiding under the house somewhere. The '95 vintage is considered the best of the '90s for Napa Valley zins. Time to open and savor them! Those and the '95 BV zin I bought on the same wine tasting trip.Well, the holidays are here and what better way to celebrate and engender good cheer than to open and share a good bottle of wine?

Thanksgiving is coming, and we're having dinner at my brother's place - so let's see what we're bringing to the table....... for the turkey - Champalou Vouvray (an off-dry petillant would have been good, but I couldn't find one so the off-dry still wine will have to do) for the white drinkers, J Nicole's Vineyard pinot noir for the red winos. A bottle of J bubbly to start (with appetizers). A full syrah (Fenestra '98? Neibaum-Coppola '99?) after dinner (with cigars). A nice Passito de Pantelleria (which one? choices, choices!) with the cheese or the pumpkin pie........my wife will be driving me home!!! :D Zins don't go too well with turkey. Too bad.