• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

guys, get a load of this:

Apparently, even in wine, sex sells. There's a wine called Marilyn Merlot and their new Velvet Collection brand features the famous "Red Velvet" nude photo of Marilyn Monroe on a peek-a-boo label - a first for the wine industry.

The actress' figure is covered with iridescent sparkles and to see all of her you have to simply peel away the overlay. :D

just to add... 

on reviews.... reviews are ok but be wary as taste buds of every reviewer are unique to the reviewer... i usually ask for the tasting notes... a good wine store would have an "official"  book for notes of the wines they sell.  the notes provide a general guide to the character of the wine...body, boquet, etc.  so when you taste it you know what to look for and what you are getting. i recently got a 2002 cab sauv rostchild -chilean from magnum.  it was good, little tannins, smooth, body was alright but i expected it to be fuller... this wine needs to be kept for about a year.

on artificial corks ... this is to keep the cost of the wine lower.  the demand for corks have put the supply at critical levels.  so to keep the cost of corks in check the artificial cork was created.  Its good to as an alternative for your drinking wines but not for collection.  Todate, most topend wines still use cork.

thanks, pare.

I also ask for the full tasting notes of the wines i bring over - every vintage has a different tasting note because every year varies and I also fax a copy of these notes to my customers to get them interested....it's a good way to sell wine..

but I ask a question - isn't it that the tannic wines are the ones that need to be matured, in order to round-out the rough edges...if the wine is not tannic, then hanggang dun na lang yata talaga yun - no cellaring/maturation will improve the wine...correct me if I'm wrong....

not yet, but planning to....but somebody whom I trust said it tastes of cough syrup....

i agree... the reds are simply a waste of cash. but if you are referring to the xao xing or shao shing (chinese rice wine)... this is good....

if you are in a japanese restaurant... try the shocho (i think it is their version of gin) iso sake... shocho or sometimes known as shochu is taken with hot water and either a plum preserve or a dash of calamansi juice. it is good in yakitori.

thanks, pare.

I also ask for the full tasting notes of the wines i bring over - every vintage has a different tasting note because every year varies and I also fax a copy of these notes to my customers to get them interested....it's a good way to sell wine..

but I ask a question - isn't it that the tannic wines are the ones that need to be matured, in order to round-out the rough edges...if the wine is not tannic, then hanggang dun na lang yata talaga yun - no cellaring/maturation will improve the wine...correct me if I'm wrong....

yes. i could not agree with you more... in my previous comments, i was referring to the lack of body of the cab sauv i drank which could improve thru time.... but may be not, since it was an artificial cork. maturing may not occur in this case, i stand corrected.

i suggest that if you are getting that wine, you get the reserve which has a cork stopper.

thanks

guys, get a load of this:

Apparently, even in wine, sex sells. There's a wine called Marilyn Merlot and their new Velvet Collection brand features the famous "Red Velvet" nude photo of Marilyn Monroe on a peek-a-boo label - a first for the wine industry.

The actress' figure is covered with iridescent sparkles and to see all of her you have to simply peel away the overlay. :D

Great label, mediocre wine........lots of people buy it for the label but never drink it!

just to add... 

on reviews.... reviews are ok but be wary as taste buds of every reviewer are unique to the reviewer... i usually ask for the tasting notes... a good wine store would have an "official"  book for notes of the wines they sell.  the notes provide a general guide to the character of the wine...body, boquet, etc.  so when you taste it you know what to look for and what you are getting. i recently got a 2002 cab sauv rostchild -chilean from magnum.  it was good, little tannins, smooth, body was alright but i expected it to be fuller... this wine needs to be kept for about a year.

on artificial corks ... this is to keep the cost of the wine lower.  the demand for corks have put the supply at critical levels.  so to keep the cost of corks in check the artificial cork was created.  Its good to as an alternative for your drinking wines but not for collection.  Todate, most topend wines still use cork.

The Chilean cabs I've had tended to the light side and seem to be made in the "drink me now!" style. Even Montes Alpha, which some consider the best Chilean cab producer, has some cabs like that. And I've found that reds taht start out light remain so, even after a few years under my house. (I store a lot of wine in my crawl space, since it tends to remain relatively consistent in temperature through the seasons.)

You're absolutely right about reviews - we're all different and we all taste different things in the wine. However, if you know someone (directly or indirectly) whose taste in wines is close to yours, then you can use his/her notes as a guide to what you might like. Still, no guarantees! I found that the Wine Spectator is about 75% reliable for me when it comes to pinot noirs from CA and WA, but not so much so for cabs. A good resource may be Robert Parker's Wine Buyers Guide. New editions every year to note latest wines and tasting notes.

Bods, I am not sure that a wine with a synthetic stopper will NOT age, since I tend not to age those wines, at least not deliberately! It may, since aging is supposed to be a function of no contact with air and time, both of which are true for synthetic stoppers. The fact that wineries that produce premium wines - Plumpjack and Bonny Doon are just a couple - are beginning to go to synthetics or to screwtops indicates that aging is expected to occur.

yes.  i could not agree with you more... in my previous comments, i was referring to the lack of body of the cab sauv i drank which could improve thru time.... but may be not, since it was an artificial cork.  maturing may not occur in this case, i stand corrected.

i suggest that if you are getting that wine, you get the reserve which has a cork stopper.

thanks

thanks too!

are you referring to the Lindemann's Reserve here? I used to buy Lindemann's back when Jackie Chan was endorsing it :D

Any other celebrities endorsing wine?

The Chilean cabs I've had tended to the light side and seem to be made in the "drink me now!" style. Even Montes Alpha, which some consider the best Chilean cab producer, has some cabs like that. And I've found that reds taht start out light remain so, even after a few years under my house. (I store a lot of wine in my crawl space, since it tends to remain relatively consistent in temperature through the seasons.)

You're absolutely right about reviews - we're all different and we all taste different things in the wine. However, if you know someone (directly or indirectly) whose taste in wines is close to yours, then you can use his/her notes as a guide to what you might like. Still, no guarantees! I found that the Wine Spectator is about 75% reliable for me when it comes to pinot noirs from CA and WA, but not so much so for cabs. A good resource may be Robert Parker's Wine Buyers Guide. New editions every year to note latest wines and tasting notes.

Bods, I am not sure that a wine with a synthetic stopper will NOT age, since I tend not to age those wines, at least not deliberately! It may, since aging is supposed to be a function of no contact with air and time, both of which are true for synthetic stoppers. The fact that wineries that produce premium wines - Plumpjack and Bonny Doon are just a couple - are beginning to go to synthetics or to screwtops indicates that aging is expected to occur.

yes you're right...a cork or a stopper is just a closure to prevent oxidation. Maturation is a function of the composition of the wine...Some winemakers deliberately make their best wines massively tannic for purposes of aging.....I personally haven't tried out my wines which were recommended for up to 10 yrs aging. It should be fun - taste a bottle upon buying, open another one a year later, another one 5 years later, then 10 years after - just to see how the wine progresses. Have anyone here tried that?

Ako kasi nauubos kaagad - di na nagtatagal :D

Edited by bods1000

talking about labels on wines, i've seen one written by hand from bourdeux a 1957 cabernet franc, wow, imagine the price, hehehe

california wines and australian wines have modern labels but french wines & italian stick to the old designs, peter lehmans own southcorp right? I got a 91pts Parker wines ( Chateau Angelique Monbousquet), a red bourdeux, nice, hey bods this wine is sold by bacchus?

bods, tasting wines a years after may let you forget the taste even a year ago, hehehe. and certainly its hard to trust wine experts unless they are recognized globally. tried once using a famous chef from a local resto in MNL, magaling daw, ngee, what we did, we combined wines like carlos rossi, welsch & other, then have him tried it, wow and sarap daw, hehehe

talking about labels on wines, i've seen one written by hand from bourdeux a 1957 cabernet franc, wow, imagine the price, hehehe

california wines and australian wines have modern labels but french wines & italian stick to the old designs, peter lehmans own southcorp right? I got a 91pts Parker wines ( Chateau Angelique Monbousquet), a red bourdeux, nice, hey bods this wine is sold by bacchus?

I'm not familiar with the French wines sold by Bacchus. Ang tanda ko lang yung mga California nila like Rutherford, Stag's leap....I don't think Peter Lehmann owns or is owned by Southcorp. Ang Southcorp yata yung Rosemount...

Pards yung mga natitikman mong wines - patikim din. Hwag mong solohin :D

Are you here na ba?

Saturday pwede ako...

yes, I'll share it with you. hehehe my mistake hindi nga pala connected si peter lehman with southcorp. it a different vineyard, i've seen some of their wines, did you know that they have a case worth US$500.00 sobrang mahal at exagerated na ang price nyan sa manila.

i'd be here until the second week tas SIN naman, wala sobrang peak season kc. anyway, hope to see you when i get back.

bods, tasting wines a years after may let you forget the taste even a year ago, hehehe. and certainly its hard to trust wine experts unless they are recognized globally. tried once using a famous chef from a local resto in MNL, magaling daw, ngee, what we did, we combined wines like carlos rossi, welsch & other, then have him tried it, wow and sarap daw, hehehe

hehehe loko ka ah...

don't try that on our regulars here or else puro Chinese wine ang paiinom namin sa iyo pag wine tasting natin....

I don't know pero yung mga connoisseur siguro recall nila lasa kahit matagal na...