Back To The 70's

Siyempre favorite dating place ko noon for the food & the ambience, Italian Village. Sayang, wala na ngayon.... :(

Kami hanggang sa Italian Gilid lang nakakarating!

I remember my first date. Since I didn't have any older brothers to teach me the logistical side of dating and was too embarassed to tell my barkada that I will be dating this chick, I went for it entirely on my own volition. That was my first time to go out without my parents around me so had no clue how much the whole thing would cost.

All I had was twenty pesos in my pocket. For a grade 6 kid at that time, I thought that was big money already. After paying for the bus fare from my house to the meeting place, our bus fare from the meeting place to Quad in Makati, then paying for the movie tickets, matapos ang lahat, siyempre kailangan, ayain ko naman siya kumain. So I invited her to the only restaurant that I knew in the area. The one beside Rustans supermarket where my parents would take us for snacks after doing our groceries.

That was the first time in my life I stared at a menu with attention to the price list. I knew I didn't have enough money anymore. How was I to know how much a hamburger would cost? My dad always paid for it diba? Ngayon, napasubo na. :blush: But somehow, I had gathered enough guts to tell her I didn't have enough money anymore. Buti na lang mabait siya. After I took her home, pinautang nya pa ako ng pamasahe pauwi. :D :D :D

She became my first GF. :blush:

Favorite rin namin ang Italian Village pero mas favorite namin ang Mother's (wala na rin) along EDSA near the Quezon Rotunda. Yes, uso pa noon ang rotunda. Now, Welcome Rotonda na lang ang natira :(

Speaking of Mother's, does anyone here remember the Mothers bag? It's a knapsack made from denim cloth with a rope tied up around it. The rope also serves as the shoulder strap. The old Sta. Mesa market (now SM Centerpoint) and Cartimar was where you can buy it. Sumikat ito noong araw sa UB area among the jeps. Of course, kung "s" ka naman, you would use an Ace leather bag.

I hope you could also find the time to attend my exhibit.

Saan ba yan at kailan?

Edited by Magaling
Kadalasan, nagsisimula sa tuksuhan.  Tapos, yung mga miron will say stuff like "Sige nga, kung matapang ka, hawakan mo nga sa tenga!".  If either kid actually gets  prodded to hold the other's ear, ayan na.  Mauuwi na sa suntukan.  Pag hindi naghawakan sa tenga,  yung mga miron will say stuff like "Duwag ka naman pala eh!".  Come to think of it, it really was a no-win situation....

Those fights would end up with both parties shaking hands and no hard feelings. Pag nanalo ka, parang "no big deal". Somehow you end up apologizing to the other party for beating him up! The other party would also apologize to the other for landing a punch or two.

Guys, since kayo rin ang nagpatuloy ng usapan suntukan....

There was this one line back then: "Aaahhhhhh...."

Everyone said this when one party crossed the line, so to speak. It was really a dare. Suntukan na, in other words. Of course, hindi naman lahat ng alitan noon nauwi sa suntukan.

How sweeeeet!!!  Kinikilig pa rin ako when I hear stories like these! 

Somehow we never really outgrow our nature to reminisce the good old days and appreciate the simple things in life.    :)

Here's to the memories!!

Liberty...iba talaga ang mga babae... Hopeless romantic :) :)

I was also almost moved to tears by Magaling's story. :blink: :blink: No Joke :) Buti na lang my frist boyfriend always had enough money to pay for both of us...but at times, he would ask us to go dutch, at least may pasintabi...so i come prepared.

Magaling..I'm sure you will never forget your first GF. If only for the fare you owe her. :)

Magaling..I'm sure you will never forget your first GF.  If only for the fare you owe her.  :)

How can I ever forget her???? I experienced a lot of my "firsts" with her. Plus, sa lahat ng babaeng nakilala ko, siya ang (by far) pinakamatagal kong niligawan. Imagine, from grade 5 (pinopormahan ko na siya nun, believe it or not) pa eh first year high school na nung naging GF ko siya formally (as in may physical contact na!). Hehehe! :D

And of course, I still owe her the bus fare. That's P1.50 yata plus interest so . . . :D :D :D

Kadalasan, nagsisimula sa tuksuhan. Tapos, yung mga miron will say stuff like "Sige nga, kung matapang ka, hawakan mo nga sa tenga!". 

In hindsight, dapat yung mga miron ang unang sinusuntok eh :-D

There was a time when Friday pa lang, may party na.  Tapos, Sabado, ibang party naman.  When we learned how to drive and became mobile, my barkada got invited to so many parties that sometimes, we'd be hopping from one party to another on the same night! My mom got so pissed that I'm out of the house all the time... :huh:

Imagine yourself 20 years ago, out having a good time, things are just beginning to get interesting with your date....tapos mag ri-ring yung cellphone mo...si MAMA! "Bakit hindi ka pa umuuwi?!?" Lagot! wheew...mabuti na lang walang cellphone nung araw. Opening the gate and entering the house without being reprimanded was always a challenge. I must have used the "study group excuse" a million times...study group kuno pero amoy chiko...

In hindsight, dapat yung mga miron ang unang sinusuntok eh :-D

Imagine yourself 20 years ago, out having a good time, things are just beginning to get interesting with your date....tapos mag ri-ring yung cellphone mo...si MAMA! "Bakit hindi ka pa umuuwi?!?" Lagot! wheew...mabuti na lang walang cellphone nung araw. Opening the gate and entering the house without being reprimanded was always a challenge. I must have used the "study group excuse" a million times...study group kuno pero amoy chiko...

OO nga...the 70's / 80's gimmick would be different kung may Cellphones na... :D :D

Noon na uso ang CB's medyo naiba na nga rin diba? It was so easy to get a group of people together in such a short time. I remember there were group EB's rin noon. My brother became a CB fanatic. He put a CB base in our house. Our neighbors kept COMPLAINING that nag-distort ang TV images nila, ay minsan pumapasok pa ang audio ng TV. And that 3 element YAGI (??) antenna ba iyon??? he put atop our house fell over our neighbors house during one of the typhoons... Ay naku!! Disaster !!! after all the hassle that CB base caused in our neighborhood, EVEN the neighbor whose roof collapsed was happy to see that base go. :lol: :lol:

I am sure lahat kayo at one point may CB handle. Ano nga ????

OO nga...the 70's / 80's gimmick would be different kung may Cellphones na... :D  :D

Noon na uso ang CB's medyo naiba na nga rin diba? It was so easy to get a group of people together in such a short time.    I remember there were group EB's rin noon.  My brother became a CB fanatic. He put a CB base in our house.  Our neighbors kept COMPLAINING that nag-distort ang TV images nila, ay minsan pumapasok pa ang audio ng TV. And that 3 element YAGI (??) antenna ba iyon??? he put atop our house fell over our neighbors house during one of the typhoons... Ay naku!! Disaster !!!  after all the hassle that CB base caused in our neighborhood, EVEN the neighbor whose roof collapsed was happy to see that base go.  :lol:  :lol:   

I am sure lahat kayo at one point may CB handle. Ano nga ????

Kung may lurker ngayon dito sa MTC, lurker naman ako nung CD radio days...

Bsta ang alam ko lang na CB lingo were:

"apak" - drowning out another by way of a stronger signal

"sierra" - sorry

"35"s - confidential (tama ba?)

"26"s - may nakikinig/asungot (mali yata)

Pareng bods, I think there's a difference between "paka" and "pokpok."  Paka was the short term for "pakawala."  A paka was never paid.  She did it because she wanted to. A pokpok, on the other hand (someone correct me here) is what we used to refer to as a pick-up...in other words, a professional.

By the way, I never actually met a paka.  And if I had, she probably found me uninteresting.

so there's a fine distinction between the two.

I stand corrected, as I seldom was exposed to any of the two genres, having been nurtured in a kumbento hehehehe :hypocritesmiley:

Bods..ganyan yata talaga ang default mode ng mga babae.  Mas cruel kami.  :evil:

JT..Tama ka the term PokPok was already used then..difference is Paka was free while Pokpok was for pay.  I know that the present day term Pokpok means  the same, with the term PILYA replacing Paka.  :)

I wish I would never encounter you in one of your default modes :P

Now speaking of old terms, I don't see "smorgasbord" being used in eating places now. In the 70's it was the term for "eat-all-you-can"...........

There was a time when Friday pa lang, may party na.  Tapos, Sabado, ibang party naman.  When we learned how to drive and became mobile, my barkada got invited to so many parties that sometimes, we'd be hopping from one party to another on the same night!  Pag walang aksyon dito, doon naman kami.  B)  My mom got so pissed that I'm out of the house all the time... :huh:

These days, weekends are for running errands.  Kulang pa nga kung minsan.  In the service of the family... :huh:

Sabi nila, for men ( with due apologies to the women here), the first half of your life is ruined by your mother, the next half is ruined by your wife.  I'm not saying this is true hah! (Defensive  :blush:  kaagad) Sabi lang nila . . .  :)

Peace to the ladies!  :)

Hahahaha

Kami ngang mga taga UP pati Tuesdays may party kasi walang pasok ng wednesdays. Anyway, sa dami ng night out na pinupuntahan namin, nagrequire ang mom ko na hindi pwedeng mag night-out kung walang invites. Hindi pa rin nabawasan kasi dami naman talagang parties noon at uso ang invites..

:cool:

Now speaking of old terms, I don't see "smorgasbord" being used in eating places now. In the 70's it was the term for "eat-all-you-can"...........

Yup, we used to call them smorgasbords (a Swedish term). No one says smorgasbord these days. Everyone says "buffet." The best I experienced was the smorgarbord in the now-gone El Castellano at the top floor of the Intercon during the days before martial law.

In one Discovery program, though, I learned something about the term as it originated in Sweden. We used it rather loosely during the 70s, because a smorgasbord usually offered mostly bread dishes. Smorgasbord means a bread and butter table. Of course, its definition has expanded since. Perhaps that's why smorgasbord isn't used anymore in our lovely PI. After all, how can you have a smorgasbord without bread (as in, say, Chinese, Japanese and Filipino restaurants that offer buffets)?

as it was buffet or an eat-all-you-can binge, in those days we used to call it smorgasm :P

As for smorgasms, I remember once how the family had a difficult time fitting into the car after a real feast. Tawanan tuloy lahat. Ang sarap kasi ng smorgasbord sa El Castellano. Instant taba lahat (o kaya, instant bagal ng galaw). It was really unbelievable. The buffets in today's restaurants and hotels can't even come close to that El Castellano smorgasbord.

so there's a fine distinction between the two.

I stand corrected, as I seldom was exposed to any of the two genres, having been nurtured in a kumbento hehehehe :hypocritesmiley:

I wish I would never encounter you in one of your default modes :P

hey bods, what has smorgasbord have to do with pokpok and paka... sabagay may similarities yung 2!!!! :lol:

was it miyako along pasay road who started the first eat all you can japanese resto? i remember you have to finish everything on your plate before the waiter serves you your next serving of mixed tempura.

MIYAKO's along Pasay Road!

I loved going there and getting stuffed on eat all you can Yakiniku -- not to mention that you do the grilling yourself. :D

Though earlier than Miyako's, the AUTOMAT was a good place to go for eats -as well.

hey bods, what has smorgasbord have to do with pokpok and paka... sabagay may similarities yung 2!!!! :lol:

was it miyako along pasay road who started the first eat all you can japanese resto?  i remember you have to finish everything on your plate before the waiter serves you your next serving  of mixed tempura.

Edited by 16track

was it miyako along pasay road who started the first eat all you can japanese resto?  i remember you have to finish everything on your plate before the waiter serves you your next serving  of mixed tempura.

Yup MIYAKO nga. They also served Yakiniku eat-all-you-can din.

One of the coolest guys I ever saw on screen was the immortal Steve McQueen. From the Marnificent 7 to Bullit, McQueen tore up the screen with his presence.

I cam across this site :

http://members.tripod.com/~stvmcqueen/

and saw that his image was taken by FORD to promote the new 2005 Mustang. Go to the site and click the Mustang Ad on the right. Not so sure --but I think the clip was taken from Bullit.

Regards! :D