Back To The 70's

Fast fact on Steve Mcqueen:  Did you know his first starring role was in the movie called "The Blob" a sci- fi movie about this mass of jello that ate everything in its path- 1961 yata ito.  Steve played a teenager and main character who was able to find a way to defeat the blob.  I watched the movie a few years back courtesy of an old VHS tape.

The BLOB was also shown on CHANNEL 5 - Million Dollar Movies when I was about Grade 1 / 2. I remember MDM starts at 9:00 pm kaya pag Fridays lang ako nakakapanood noon. Medyo OT na ito..60's kasi MDM.

Pareng Masi 60s din yan - US version ng James Bond. May sequel pa iyan na "In Like Flint".

Isang cult favorite namin noon ay "Gone in 60 Seconds" with the yellow shelby (moostang ba iyon?)

Wow malapit na exhibit ko. See you all sa opening night on the 17th. :cool:

Edited by storm

Agree! James Coburn was a cool cat as Flint. This was the period when James Bond Types were popular such as Dean Martin playing Matt Helm and Robert Vaughn playing Napoleon Solo.

Although they were from the 60's, it was real cool to watch them come out with "THE GADGETS" of that time. I remember Matt Helm rolling out an inflatable Bed right out of his trunk that sort of reminds me of the inflatable they sell on TV now.

Napoloen Solo had that special gun that was converted from a pistol into a rifle in seconds.

In the 70's James Coburn also played the lead part in the movie about pickpockets titled--"HARRY IN YOUR POCKET" with Michael Sarazin-- and also the chief rider in "SKY RIDERS".

Our generation might recognize James Coburn as the Carlsberg spokesman in the late 80's.

Ma-iba naman.  Did you guys watch "Our man Flint!"  starring James Coburn.  He was my idol!  Cool type like James Bond and Die Hard.  And best of all, he gets all the girls!!!!!

Darn... am in my movie mode again... heheh! :D

70's films and characters I always was eager to see:

1. Clint Eastwood as the street boxer, Philo Bedoe (Every Which You Can)

2. Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry (You got to ask yourself if you feel lucky.. well do yah? punk?!!)

3. The Sean Connery and Roger Moore James Bond Era

4. Bruce Lee in all the pioneering Kung Fu flicks

5. John Wayne in his later Western moments -- funny how not a single one of my 20 something year

old staff in the office have never heard of John Wayne. I hated Bruce Dern for shooting John Wayne

at the back in "The Cowboys"

6. Charles Bronson in the Death Wish, StreetFighter, The Mechanic, Valdez is Coming

7. Sylvester Stallone in Rocky!

8. Al Pacino in Godfather(s) and Serpico and Dog Day Afternoon

9. Robert De Niro in Taxi Driver

10. Terence Hill and Bud Spencer ( A bit on the cheeky side --but entertaining none the less )

Some memorable movie lines in the 70's:

Jack Smith: How long was I out? (after getting knocked out in the street fight)

Philo Bedoe: Long enuff.. ( then offers his good arm to lift Smith up on his feet )

Dirty Harry: We're not just going to let you our of here.

Thug : Who'se we, sucker?

Dirty Harry: Well, Smith, Wesson ... and me.

Rocky : Adriannnnne!!!!! (twisted lips and all)

Thug : We're looking for Tang Lung

Bruce Lee : Points his thumb to his nose and says... "Tang Lung!"

Charles Bronson: Pointing to the cross pendant on the thug. "So you believe in Jesus, eh?"

Thug : Nervously holding his hands up..."ye.. yess, I du .. du. do"

Bronson : Good, Cause you're going to meet him!" then shoots the jerk.

Rubber Duck : (Speaking on the CB)--Looks like we got ourselves a Convoy!

Tony Manero : He hits my hair (motioning toward his father in the dining table). I spend a long time

fixing my hair and he hits it!

Danny Zukko : Well, its greased Lightning!

Don Corleone : If I was your friend... then people will fear you.

Bonasera : Don Corleone, please be my friend?

Can you add more?

:upside:

Some memorable movie lines in the 70's:

Don Corleone  : If I was your friend... then people will fear you.

Bonasera        : Don Corleone, please be my friend?

Can you add more?

In the above exchange in The Godfather, Don Vito shows his utter distaste

for the baker Buonasera by saying : " Buonasera, Buonasera. What have I ever

done to make you treat me so disrespectfully? "

My favorite line from the movie. Parang tatay rebuking an erring son.

In the above exchange in The Godfather, Don Vito shows his utter distaste

for the baker Buonasera by saying : " Buonasera, Buonasera. What have I ever

done to make you treat me so disrespectfully? "

My favorite line from the movie. Parang tatay rebuking an erring son.

I believe that Buonasera was an undertaker. It was in a later scene with Buonasera that Vito Corleone said, "Look what they did to my boy."

I believe that Buonasera was an undertaker.  It was in a later scene with Buonasera that Vito Corleone said, "Look what they did to my boy."

Oo nga pala. I stand corrected. BTW, did you know that Coppola's original choice for

Don Vito was Sir Laurence Olivier? But Brando coveted the role so much that he invited

Coppola to his house one day and met him at the front door in full Don Vito get-up, tux,

cotton in his mouth, and all. Right then, Coppola was said to have decided the role

was Brando's.

From Taxi Driver ( The great De Niro ) :

"You talking to me?"

Since my exhibit is entitled "The Dancer", here are my list of 70s movies that somehow inspire me:

1. Saturday Night Fever

2. Cabaret

3. Turning Point

4. Grease

5. All That Jazz

Pero para ma - OT :D

Here are my other favorites:

1. Singing in the Rain

2. An American in Paris

3. Can Can

4. Gigi

5. Funny Face - this is where Michael Jackson got or stole his moves and get-up (from the great Audrey Hepburn)

6. West Side Story

7. Chicago

8. Flashdance

9. Dirty Dancing (lambada)

10. Footloose

:thumbsupsmiley:

Darn... am in my movie mode again... heheh! :D

Danny Zukko  : Well, its greased Lightning!

Don Corleone  : If I was your friend... then people will fear you.

Bonasera        : Don Corleone, please be my friend?

Can you add more?

Ahhh Godfather fans in the house!

In "The Godfather", Mikey Corleone was surprised to learn there were no guards in the hospital where the mortally wounded Don Corleone was recuperating. So he had a nurse help him wheel his father to another room lest assassins try to finish him off. As they were moving his bed, footsteps are heard across the hallway.....that scene gives me goosebumps every time I see it.

I watched that movie in CIRCLE THEATER mga 1977 yata yon.  His leading lady was BARBRA STREISAND.  I have the OST album of that movies.  My favorite song (I don't know the title) went ..."Love soft as an easy chair, Love fresh as the morning air...One Love that is share by two....""  Kris Kristofferson dies in that movie  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

JT what are you doing so late.. a 3:00 am post ?????? Ikaw rin Bods...????  :huh:  :huh:

Good Morning to all.  :)

It's not late - it's too early pa nga eh :P It's good to answer posts at that hour because you have the luxury of silence, and therefore complete introspection, all around you hehehe....

A Star Is Born was, I believe, a remake of a Judy Garland movie? :unsure: , and yes, tama si pareng slide - it's Evergreen....

Heheh!

Heheh! Ganun ba?

In any case, pasali na din!  :)  Steve McQueen did not manage to escape as he was caught again by the Germans-after he fell in along the barbed wire fence.  The last scene of the movie had him being locked up in Solitary with only his baseball glove and a baseball which he tossed and bounced against the wall of his cell.

Remember some McQueen Movies?

1. Papillon

2. Great Escape

3. Bullit

4. The Getaway

5. The Thomas Crown Affair

6. Sand Pebbles

7. Towering Inferno

BTW, was he the lead star on "Wanted-Dead or alive" on TV?

wow! great movies all! Steve Mcqueen had the honor of having some of the most beautiful women at that time as co-stars. The Thomas Crown Affair (with that sizzling bedscene and most unforgettable song, The Windmills of Your Mind) had Faye Dunaway. The Getaway had Ali Mcgraw. The Sand Pebbles had a most beauteous and very young Candice Bergen....

Steve McQueen's Great Escape was best known for the motorcycle jumping scene in one of his numerous attempts to escape. Trivia on that movie: SM was such an excellent rider, he actually did all his riding scenes himself. In fact, there are fleeting scenes where he played the part of a German rider. Of course his face was obscured by goggles and that ubiquitous german helmet so he is almost un-recognizable...but that's him. 16track is right, he was re-captured at the end of the movie.

My most memorable SM movie is Bullit with the famous SFO car chase. The villain was in a Dodge Charger and SM was in a Mustang. Back then the Mustang (pronounced "Moos-Tang" here in the PI) was the most desired car of them all. My Dad bought a fast back then and I was so proud to be seen in it when they took me to school. Alas, several years later, it was a nightmare to get spare parts and it became one monumental headache to sell.

Augustmoon, I think the song you are referring to is "Evergreen".

pare you have a great eye and a greater memory to remember and know these trivia! :P

So it was a Mustang that was used in Bullitt - I thought it was a Corvette...those cars jumping off at highspeed on the hills of San Francisco was the original - it was copied ad nauseum in countless other movies...and yes, I do admit now that SM was recaptured in The Great Escape :P

Pareng bods!

Since you're a self-confessed Pasig kumbento boy,  I'm sure marami kang kilala from Buen Consejo?  Hanggang diyan kasi, umaabot kami nung araw.  Dami rin mga OK na chicks dun diba?  One of these days we have to exchange notes about chickababes we know from that school. :cool:

hehehe of course, pare! who can forget CBC? A lot of graduates there went on with us to UP so parang hindi din kami nagkahiwahiwalay after high-school, the only difference being that you can be more comfy-comfy with them - college na eh, unlike nung highschool may bantay kang pari sila may bantay na mga madre although magkaharap lang sa kalsada yung dalawang school namin :P

Sure pare I hope we do get to finally meet you one of these days!

Oo nga, pareng 16track.  Talagang hindi nakatakas si Steve McQueen (Si James Coburn, oo). Kaya may utang si pareng Bods sa akin ng 4 beers.  Pero dahil hindi ako in circulation ngayon, puede niya ibigay sa iba nating kaibigan sa mga dadating na EB.  And yes, Steve mcQueen starred in "Wanted: Dead or Alive."  In glorious black-and-white.  I believe he played a bounty hunter in the series.

Those 4 beers can always wait until after you get back in circulation pare - with matching interest na yun :P When 16track mentioned that bouncing ball scene in solitary confinement it all suddenly became clear again to me hahahaha...

ok, I don't know the answer to this, but what was the last film of Steve Mcqueen before he died?

pareng 16track, how were you able to remember all those lines? The only line I can remember in The Godfather was I will make him an offer he can't refuse. I think it's time to go look for a DVD of the Godfathers 1 and 2....

Some other films I would like to get hold of now:

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

MIdnight Cowboy

Deliverance

Dog Day Afternoon

Annie Hall

Taxi Driver

In "Dog Day Afternoon," Al Pacino and John Casale were teamed up once more (They played brothers in "The Godfather"... "You broke my heart, Fredo! You broke my heart!"). One unforgettable scene was how Pacino (or was it Casale?) struggled with a package to bring out his gun. Then there was that scene in the airport when Casale was shot by an FBI agent. Before that, there was Pacino shouting, "Attica! Attica!"

Another unforgettable scene was when they were both described by the TV new crews as gays. Casale turned to Pacino and said, "But I'm not gay."

In "Dog Day Afternoon," one of the FBI agents was played by an actor who also played the father in the 1970s series "Family." Sorry, can't remember his name.

ok, I don't know the answer to this, but what was the last film of Steve Mcqueen before he died?

As far as starring roles are concerned, it was possibly "The Towering Inferno." That's the last starring role of Steve McQueen that I remember. What followed may have been cameos. Of course, I could be very wrong on this.

Speaking of those great disaster movies from the 70s, I saw on HBO that they're remaking (or already have remade) "The Poseidon Adventure." Gene Hackman, playing a priest (or its equivalent), was great. There was this scene where he confronted the cynical Ernest Borgnine and said, "I said I'm going to get everyone out, and by God I'm going to do it!"

Edited by jt2003
In "Dog Day Afternoon," Al Pacino and John Casale were teamed up once more (They played brothers in "The Godfather"... "You broke my heart, Fredo!  You broke my heart!").  One unforgettable scene was how Pacino (or was it Casale?) struggled with a package to bring out his gun.  Then there was that scene in the airport when Casale was shot by an FBI agent.  Before that, there was Pacino shouting, "Attica! Attica!"

Another unforgettable scene was when they were both described by the TV new crews as gays.  Casale turned to Pacino and said, "But I'm not gay."

In "Dog Day Afternoon," one of the FBI agents was played by an actor who also played the father in the 1970s series "Family."  Sorry, can't remember his name.

The gay lover of Al Pacino in that film was Chris Sarandon, who I believe was the first husband of Susan Sarandon. The late John Cazale on the other hand was the first husband of Meryl Streep, back when she was just an unknown actress.

sliderule!

Yep,, GODFATHER FANATIC OVER HERE! heheh! :boo:

The scene you just described was a memorable one. The footsteps belonged not to a thug but to a recent immigrant who was assisted by DOn Corleone in getting a decent job.

Michael : Who are you? ( rather nervously )

Immigrant : (in a very thick Italian accent and quite proudly) I am Enzo... the baker.. the baker!

This movie rules!

No wonder critics had the Godfather series as being the all time best series [in competition with the LOTR trilogy] It's just good to remind people of how excellent this movie was!

Remember this scene?: The Corleone staff opens a package wrapped in newspaper. Inside was a fish..and Clemenza states:

It means, Luca Brassi sleeps with the fishes! [referring to the Corleone hitman who was missing for some days. "Sleeping with the fishes" menat that the person's body was now under the sea.

Cheers!

Ahhh Godfather fans in the house!

In "The Godfather", Mikey Corleone was surprised to learn there were no guards in the hospital where the mortally wounded Don Corleone was recuperating. So he had a nurse help him wheel his father to another room lest assassins try to finish him off. As they were moving his bed, footsteps are heard across the hallway.....that scene gives me goosebumps every time I see it.

Edited by 16track

Bods!

I was a huge Godfather fan! ( still is, it seems :D ) I read the book and I was hooked on the mafia.. or as Don Corleone would put.. "La Cosa Nostra"

After reading that book, I felt that nothing was impossible when crime was involved. Matter of fact, Mario Puzo opens the the novel with the foreword: "BEHIND EVERY GREAT WEALTH, THERE IS A GREAT CRIME". Creepy!

From your list, Deliverance was a frightening movie for me. Despite the fact that it featured one of the best ever Guitar and Banjo playing scenes filmed, the plot and the dastardly deeds committed in the movie scared off many people from visiting the hillbilly country!

pareng 16track, how were you able to remember all those lines? The only line I can remember in The Godfather was  I will make him an offer he can't refuse. I think it's time to go look for a DVD of the Godfathers 1 and 2....

Some other films I would like to get hold of now:

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

MIdnight Cowboy

Deliverance

Dog Day Afternoon

Annie Hall

Taxi Driver

Edited by 16track

SOme movies I liked then, aside from those you guys mentioned:

The Shootist - John Wayne's last movie. Nice scenes.

The French Connection

Jaws 1

Star Wars 1

The seven-ups

Electra Glide in Blue (Fave ko noon ito sa HS)

A Clockwork Orange

The Exorcist

China Crisis

Deer Hunter

The Sting

Chinatown

MASH

Close encounters of the third kind

Animal House

at marami pang iba.

SOme movies I liked then, aside from those you guys mentioned:

The Shootist - John Wayne's last movie. Nice scenes.

Electra Glide in Blue (Fave ko noon ito sa HS)

China Crisis

One thing about "The Shootist" is that it featured a gunman who was dying. At that time, John Wayne had already been diagnosed with the Big C. Remember when he accepted his Oscar for "True Grit"? He already looked rather thin. I believe "The Shootist" also starred Lauren Becall.

Electra Glide in Blue starred Robert Blake of "Baretta" fame. The ending was unforgettable, with Blake dying on the highway, seated.

As for China Crisis, did you actually mean The China Syndrome, which starred Jack Lemmon, Jane Fonda, and Michael Douglas?

Edited by jt2003
Oo nga ano. Sorry po.  China Crisis pala new wave band.  hehe.  China Syndrome pala.

haha!! you got your generations all mixed up, my man!!!!

remember the clint eastwood lines in Dirty Harry, "A man has got to know his limitations."

hello, augustmoon, liberty... it seems like the ladies are not in tune since the topic is about movie lines of our action idols!!!!

was original thomas crown affair done in the 70s ?

Edited by masi
sliderule!

Yep,, GODFATHER FANATIC OVER HERE! heheh!  :boo:

The scene you just described was a memorable one. The footsteps belonged not to a thug but to a recent immigrant who was assisted by DOn Corleone in getting a decent job.

Michael      : Who are you? ( rather nervously )

Immigrant  :  (in a very thick Italian accent and quite proudly) I am Enzo... the baker.. the baker!

This movie rules!

No wonder critics had the Godfather series as being the all time best series [in competition with the LOTR trilogy] It's just good to remind people of how excellent this movie was!

Remember this  scene?:  The Corleone staff opens a package wrapped in newspaper. Inside was a fish..and Clemenza states: 

It means, Luca Brassi sleeps with the fishes!  [referring to the Corleone hitman who was missing for some days. "Sleeping with the fishes" menat that the person's body was now under the sea.

Cheers!

There are rumors that the character of Johnny Fontaine is actually Frank Sinatra.

Apparently ole blue eyes had one too many links with the Mafia. Totoo ba ito?