Back To The 70's

OO nga...the 70's / 80's gimmick would be different kung may Cellphones na... :D  :D

Noon na uso ang CB's medyo naiba na nga rin diba? It was so easy to get a group of people together in such a short time.    I remember there were group EB's rin noon.  My brother became a CB fanatic. He put a CB base in our house.  Our neighbors kept COMPLAINING that nag-distort ang TV images nila, ay minsan pumapasok pa ang audio ng TV. And that 3 element YAGI (??) antenna ba iyon??? he put atop our house fell over our neighbors house during one of the typhoons... Ay naku!! Disaster !!!   after all the hassle that CB base caused in our neighborhood, EVEN the neighbor whose roof collapsed was happy to see that base go.   :lol:  :lol:   

I am sure lahat kayo at one point may CB handle. Ano nga ????

if you don't have a cb radio, you can use any kids' walkie-talkie and talk to anyone within a radius of 300meters. more advance cb units came with single side bands (ssb) which you can switch on to have an "exclusive" space. "eyeballs" came into fashion because of cb radios. K40 was THE antenna!!! then followed by the "rubber duck" and last of course was the "bull whip aka Sarao antennae"!

home antennae were the triple and the quad yagi!!

the AUTOMAT was a good place to go for eats -as well.

Automat was the first, honest to goodness fastfood resto! My favorite was shimp with peas and cashew served on those aluminum saucers with a cone stand. It was a liberating experience since you can buy the food you like without any waiter to get your order!

Edited by masi
Meron pan isang antennae, yung Shakespeare kung tawagin.  May magnet para dumikit sa bubong ng kotse.

Handle ko noon ay "ghostdancer".

That's a good copy big brother.  Exact 2-0 mo, nag 3-0 muna ako. Alam pa ba niyo yan?

Masi, naalala mo ang magandang boses ni "black satin"? Tapos nag EB kayo (LOL)?

d b yun yung taga kabilang subdivision, who wears a red plaid skirt? :boo: e yung kaibigan natin na walang sinasabi sa "ere" kundi " yeah! yeah! 10-4!!!!" :boo:

roger, copy that!!!! :lol: will be on 8s and 10s!!! (tama ba yon?)

Edited by masi

Still on "eat-all-you-can" places...

The first restaurant I remember that offered buffets (can't say smorgasbord, kasi walang bread) with Filipino cuisine was an establishment called Bughaw, in Cubao, near the EDSA-Aurora intersection. At the time, there was still no underpass in the area. It was close to an MP called Tarhata, which I always wanted to go to but never did. The food wasn't that great. But during those days, buffets were so rare that you took them whenever you could. And as a kid, I ate like a pig (with apologies to pigs).

My mother said that Smorgasboard cost (at D & E in Quezon Ave/Sulo/Hilton Hotel ) Php 18.00 per person in 1974. Softdrinks were P 2.00.. Usual lunch fare (1 viand, veggie and rice) then was P 4.00 and softdrink which depending on the brand would cost .25 to .35 centavos in the office canteens. Comparing it now with the prices of hotel buffets - Php 1,200up and softdrinks at Php 80.00 ang laki na talaga ng itinaas !!! Lunch in office canteens - 1 viand and rice range from 55.00 - 65.00 per, softdrinks in can at 20.00

Ang minimum salary in 1974 - entry level was Php 600.00 per month in 2005 - Php 7,800++ per month. Just correlate it with the Smorgas/Buffet prices alam mong hindi na umasenso ang bayan natin. :(

My first Smorgasboard meal was in RINO's nite club in Roxas Blvd in 1973. This was also the time I first heard CIRCUS BAND playing. I was in grade school then. I was a chaperone to my cousin who was in College. Her admirer/date was a friend of ATEK JACINTO (the manager of the band then) who gave me the autographs of all the band members...He is now a in(famous) Congressman and even if i don't like current political affiliations and the causes he espouses, I forgive him...only because..he made TILLIE MORENO sing my favorite song ..."Touch me in the Morning". :) :)

Uy, it worked! :D

Here's another one...I hope posting it here isn't illegal. I got this from another website kasi eh. The name of the photo's ower is emblazoned on it. Paki-delete na lang dear Mods if posting it here is a no-no.

Anyway, on with it....an old pic of Rizal theatre...sitting where the Shang is now.

post-79658-1129036445.jpg

CAFE RIZAL was where I first tasted CLUB SANDWICH with Potato chips on the side. I was in second grade then.

I also remember watching SCHOOL-initiated field/movie trip in Rizal theater (OLIVER). As a young child I was in awe of the LOBBY of the theater. It looked so big then. Before it was demolished I went there and saw how much it deteriiorated. Sayang.

CAFE RIZAL was where I first tasted CLUB SANDWICH with Potato chips on the side.  I was in second grade then.

I also remember watching SCHOOL-initiated field/movie trip in Rizal theater (OLIVER).  As a young child I was in awe of the LOBBY of the theater. It looked so big then.  Before it was demolished I went there and saw how much it deteriiorated.  Sayang.

Wala nang Cafe Rizal. :(

I remember naman sa Glorietta Park yung the best burger na pantapat sa Jack's --- Great American Disaster na naging 3M Pizza tapos across naman ay ang Ling Nam.

Meron pan isang antennae, yung Shakespeare kung tawagin.  May magnet para dumikit sa bubong ng kotse.

Handle ko noon ay "ghostdancer".

That's a good copy big brother.  Exact 2-0 mo, nag 3-0 muna ako. Alam pa ba niyo yan?

Masi, naalala mo ang magandang boses ni "black satin"? Tapos nag EB kayo (LOL)?

hahaha buking!

basta kami nun, ginagamit lang namin ang CB kung mag-ba-brown bottles kami :P

That CB craze was in part due to the Smokey And The Bandit film, starring Burt Reynolds and that fat guy - I forgot the name hehehe.....There was also this song that hit it big in the Top 40 - I think it was called Convoy - where it had mostly a guy doing CB-talk instead of singing, but it was good....

One of the coolest guys I ever saw on screen was the immortal Steve McQueen. From the Marnificent 7 to Bullit, McQueen tore up the screen with his presence.

I cam across this site :

http://members.tripod.com/~stvmcqueen/

and saw that his image was taken by FORD to promote the new 2005 Mustang. Go to the site and click the Mustang Ad on the right. Not so sure --but I think the clip was taken from Bullit.

Regards! :D

ehehehe.....Steve Mcqueen na naman!

Isang taon na naming pinagtatalunan ni bos jt kung nakatakas nga o hindi si Steve Mcqueen dun sa The Great Escape :lol:

Steve Mcqueen was one of the original cool guys - not too handsome but dashing nevertheless and his films speak of daring and living on edge - which he really was in real life. Sayang nga, he passed away quite young. He could have been some sort of an icon now, like Clint Eastwood, maturing into a serious filmmaker and much-respected everywhere, despite the humbleness of his film beginnings....

hahaha buking!

basta kami nun, ginagamit lang namin ang CB kung mag-ba-brown bottles kami :P

That CB craze was in part due to the Smokey And The Bandit film, starring Burt Reynolds and that fat guy - I forgot the name hehehe.....There was also this song that hit it big in the Top 40 - I think it was called Convoy - where it had mostly a guy doing CB-talk instead of singing, but it was good....

If I remember correctly, "Convoy" starred Kris Kristoferson. I believe he was the also the voice in the song. One TV series that really contributed to the CB craze was "BJ and the Bear." The "bear," of course, wasn't a bear but a chimpanzee.

Speaking of Kris Kristoferson, remember the 1970s version of "A Star is Born"?

Speaking of Kris Kristoferson, remember the 1970s version of "A Star is Born"?

I watched that movie in CIRCLE THEATER mga 1977 yata yon. His leading lady was BARBRA STREISAND. I have the OST album of that movies. My favorite song (I don't know the title) went ..."Love soft as an easy chair, Love fresh as the morning air...One Love that is share by two...."" Kris Kristofferson dies in that movie :cry: :cry: :cry:

JT what are you doing so late.. a 3:00 am post ?????? Ikaw rin Bods...???? :huh: :huh:

Good Morning to all. :)

Heheh!

Heheh! Ganun ba?

In any case, pasali na din! :) Steve McQueen did not manage to escape as he was caught again by the Germans-after he fell in along the barbed wire fence. The last scene of the movie had him being locked up in Solitary with only his baseball glove and a baseball which he tossed and bounced against the wall of his cell.

Remember some McQueen Movies?

1. Papillon

2. Great Escape

3. Bullit

4. The Getaway

5. The Thomas Crown Affair

6. Sand Pebbles

7. Towering Inferno

BTW, was he the lead star on "Wanted-Dead or alive" on TV?

ehehehe.....Steve Mcqueen na naman!

Isang taon na naming pinagtatalunan ni bos jt kung nakatakas nga o hindi si Steve Mcqueen dun sa The Great Escape :lol: 

Steve Mcqueen was one of the original cool guys - not too handsome but dashing nevertheless and his films speak of daring and living on edge - which he really was in real life. Sayang nga, he passed away quite young. He could have been some sort of an icon now, like Clint Eastwood, maturing into a serious filmmaker and much-respected everywhere, despite the humbleness of his film beginnings....

Steve McQueen's Great Escape was best known for the motorcycle jumping scene in one of his numerous attempts to escape. Trivia on that movie: SM was such an excellent rider, he actually did all his riding scenes himself. In fact, there are fleeting scenes where he played the part of a German rider. Of course his face was obscured by goggles and that ubiquitous german helmet so he is almost un-recognizable...but that's him. 16track is right, he was re-captured at the end of the movie.

My most memorable SM movie is Bullit with the famous SFO car chase. The villain was in a Dodge Charger and SM was in a Mustang. Back then the Mustang (pronounced "Moos-Tang" here in the PI) was the most desired car of them all. My Dad bought a fast back then and I was so proud to be seen in it when they took me to school. Alas, several years later, it was a nightmare to get spare parts and it became one monumental headache to sell.

Augustmoon, I think the song you are referring to is "Evergreen".

Hahahaha

Kami ngang mga taga UP pati Tuesdays may party kasi walang pasok ng wednesdays. Anyway, sa dami ng night out na pinupuntahan namin, nagrequire ang mom ko na hindi pwedeng mag night-out kung walang invites. Hindi pa rin nabawasan kasi dami naman talagang parties noon at uso ang invites..

:cool:

Hey! For all we know, we might have bumped into each other in one of those many parties. May mga barkada rin kami from UP and we went to a couple of parties with a UP crowd. :cool:

Anyway, on with it....an old pic of Rizal theatre...sitting where the Shang is now.

Di ko makakalimutan iyang Rizal Theatre. I made a perspective and isometric study of that building in one of my earlier Drawing classes. Kaya maraming oras din ang ginugol ko para titigan lamang ang gusaling iyan at tantiyahin ang sukat so I can draw it to scale! In both cases, the last detail I would work on would be the "Rizal" signature. After working on the signature, that means the drawing is done. :)

Too bad, we don't have a good track record for preserving our landmarks. The Rizal Theatre truly was a landmark building.

sa amin naman sa Pasig - sa sementeryo as our school was located right beside a church and a cemetery.

Pareng bods!

Since you're a self-confessed Pasig kumbento boy, I'm sure marami kang kilala from Buen Consejo? Hanggang diyan kasi, umaabot kami nung araw. Dami rin mga OK na chicks dun diba? One of these days we have to exchange notes about chickababes we know from that school. :cool:

In any case, pasali na din!  :)  Steve McQueen did not manage to escape as he was caught again by the Germans-after he fell in along the barbed wire fence.  The last scene of the movie had him being locked up in Solitary with only his baseball glove and a baseball which he tossed and bounced against the wall of his cell.

BTW, was he the lead star on "Wanted-Dead or alive" on TV?

Oo nga, pareng 16track. Talagang hindi nakatakas si Steve McQueen (Si James Coburn, oo). Kaya may utang si pareng Bods sa akin ng 4 beers. Pero dahil hindi ako in circulation ngayon, puede niya ibigay sa iba nating kaibigan sa mga dadating na EB. And yes, Steve mcQueen starred in "Wanted: Dead or Alive." In glorious black-and-white. I believe he played a bounty hunter in the series.

I watched that movie in CIRCLE THEATER mga 1977 yata yon.  His leading lady was BARBRA STREISAND.  I have the OST album of that movies.  My favorite song (I don't know the title) went ..."Love soft as an easy chair, Love fresh as the morning air...One Love that is share by two....""  Kris Kristofferson dies in that movie  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

There were at least two previous "A Star is Born" films, the more popular being the one with Judy Garland. There's a classic line from those films: "This is Mrs. Norman Maine!" I can't recall if this was ever said in the 1970s version, but that Streisand film had a twist...with all those people raising lighted candles in the final scene.

By the way, the lyrics from the song you quoted come from "Evergreen." The lyrics themselves were written by Paul Williams. I don't know who composed the music.

There were at least two previous "A Star is Born" films, the more popular being the one with Judy Garland.  There's a classic line from those films: "This is Mrs. Norman Maine!"  I can't recall if this was ever said in the 1970s version, but that Streisand film had a twist...with all those people raising lighted candles in the final scene. 

By the way, the lyrics from the song you quoted come from "Evergreen."  The lyrics themselves were written by Paul Williams.  I don't know who composed the music.

Tama ka dyan. The character in the '30s movie also died. He was an alcoholic, a has-been star whose wife's career took off while he took to drinking and eventually died.

Fast fact on Steve Mcqueen: Did you know his first starring role was in the movie called "The Blob" a sci- fi movie about this mass of jello that ate everything in its path- 1961 yata ito. Steve played a teenager and main character who was able to find a way to defeat the blob. I watched the movie a few years back courtesy of an old VHS tape.