Back To The 70's

as a kid, i joined a coloring contest on a variety show for children. there was a Milo-drinking contest, too, and the host was this bushy-haired guy. but i cannot, for the life of me, remember the name of the show.

You must have been referring to Bob Stewart, more popularly known as Uncle Bob. He was one of GMA's original owners and had a children's show called Uncle Bob's Lucky 7 Club aired every Saturday morning at around 10:30AM. I don't know if Bob Stewart can be described as "bushy-haired" as his hair was thinning though - so it may have been a different guy altogether.

Growing up as a kid in the 70's wasn't exactly the most exciting times, especially if you compare to the iPad and gadget-holding kids of today. You either play outside - basketball, tumbang preso, patintero, taguan, cops and robbers - or you watch TV. The problem was there were only 5 TV stations to choose from. NMPC (GTV 4) can't exactly be described as an entertainment network so we're limited with 4. IBC 13 mostly airs local shows - I remember "Piling Piling Pelikula" every Mondays at 8:30PM featuring recent blockbuster movies, Seeing Stars with JQ (Sundays, 9PM), TODAS (Wednesdays, 7:30PM), Iskul Bukol (Tuesdays, 7:30PM) both produced by Our Own Little Way Productions, among many others. Unfortunately, the shows you see on IBC 13 in the morning and afternoons were mostly documentaries on topics like "how Japan rose from the ashes of WW2" or "how to make an origami." Not exactly palatable to kids.

Who can forget Newswatch's featured headlines shown on letter graphics in white font on blue background? It was not uncommon to see headlines like these: "FL leaves for the US" or "FM to meet with WB officials." GMA has always been the network to watch when it came to the weather because of the very popular Amado Pineda of Pag-Asa. Pineda wasn't exactly a sight for sore eyes but he delivered the weather news as effectively as anyone else.

si koji parang ibon

sa tubig parang isda

ang makalaban nagsisisi

sintigas ng bakal ang buo niyang katawan

ipinagtatanggol niya ang bawat naaapi

kapag siya'y nagalit talo pa ang lintik

may apoy sa dibdib ang mundo'y nanginginig

mazing go mazing go mazinger z

mazinger z by the voltes gang released via wea records.

I remember I only watched the news back then for our current events assignment.

The cartoons in the early 70s were mostly Hanna-Barbera

Might Thor

Moby Dick

The Adventures of Gulliver

The New Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

Shazzan

Wacky Races

Actually if you go to YouTube, you'll be able to find some of these old cartoons. It's almost like being transported back in time.

Something I just remembered from the '70s was the term "party line." Back then, you shared your phone line with another person in a different location. The person was called a party line. Sometimes I'd need to make a call but when I lift the phone receiver, I'd hear two people talking. I'd have to interrupt their conversation and tell them I needed to make an important call. Sometimes they'd give into my request, other times they wouldn't.

That's one memory of the '70s that I'm glad is gone forever.

• Like (+1) 1

Something I just remembered from the '70s was the term "party line." Back then, you shared your phone line with another person in a different location. The person was called a party line. Sometimes I'd need to make a call but when I lift the phone receiver, I'd hear two people talking. I'd have to interrupt their conversation and tell them I needed to make an important call. Sometimes they'd give into my request, other times they wouldn't.

Yes, the party line. One of the more unusual things that a person living in the 70's had to go through. It was like the two of you sharing the phone - yet paying separate bills. My dad was running an Early Warning Device (EWD) business back then and it was a good thing he decided to apply for another line - this time, a single line.

Our party line back then was the guy allegedly shot by now Senate candidate Jacky Enrile (or his bodyguards) at the Stargazer Disco in Silahis Hotel along Roxas Boulevard. While we had our frequent skirmishes with our party line back then, his tragic death galvanized us and made us understand each other better...

You must have been referring to Bob Stewart, more popularly known as Uncle Bob. He was one of GMA's original owners and had a children's show called Uncle Bob's Lucky 7 Club aired every Saturday morning at around 10:30AM. I don't know if Bob Stewart can be described as "bushy-haired" as his hair was thinning though - so it may have been a different guy altogether.

Growing up as a kid in the 70's wasn't exactly the most exciting times, especially if you compare to the iPad and gadget-holding kids of today. You either play outside - basketball, tumbang preso, patintero, taguan, cops and robbers - or you watch TV.

Pretty certain it wasn't Uncle Bob. Did Ariel Ureta have a show?

Anyway, I'm not sure about the iPad vs. taguan/patintero contest. Kids today might be more sophisticated but I sure loved playing outside - getting cut up sneaking into neighbors' gardens, falling off our bikes outracing askals, fighting off the neighborhood bullies who hung out at the sari-sari store - we had to entertain ourselves and we were never, ever bored. Our taguan was pretty exciting as hiding places stretched the whole street and we played well into the night until we had to be coaxed home with stories of kapre and tikbalang. A fave game at school was agawan base, with absolutely no favor shown to girls. I watch my young nephews today engrossed in their gadgets, but give them a top and their eyes come alive.

what a far cry from today's technology huh. just to dial someone's number took forever, especially if your fingers were tiny and slipped out of that rotary thingy easily.

Our party line back then was the guy allegedly shot by now Senate candidate Jacky Enrile (or his bodyguards) at the Stargazer Disco in Silahis Hotel along Roxas Boulevard. While we had our frequent skirmishes with our party line back then, his tragic death galvanized us and made us understand each other better...

wow.

Edited by dungeonbaby

Pretty certain it wasn't Uncle Bob. Did Ariel Ureta have a show?

Anyway, I'm not sure about the iPad vs. taguan/patintero contest. Kids today might be more sophisticated but I sure loved playing outside - getting cut up sneaking into neighbors' gardens, falling off our bikes outracing askals, fighting off the neighborhood bullies who hung out at the sari-sari store - we had to entertain ourselves and we were never, ever bored. Our taguan was pretty exciting as hiding places stretched the whole street and we played well into the night until we had to be coaxed home with stories of kapre and tikbalang. A fave game at school was agawan base, with absolutely no favor shown to girls. I watch my young nephews today engrossed in their gadgets, but give them a top and their eyes come alive.

what a far cry from today's technology huh. just to dial someone's number took forever, especially if your fingers were tiny and slipped out of that rotary thingy easily.

Might be Tito Pepe?. He hosted Clubhouse 9.

We also played agawan base in school in the early 70s, plus shato, jolens, overhead sipa, luksong tinik, luksong baka (viola kamatis), piko, bending, tanshing, touch ball and tumbang preso.

Yes, Ariel Ureta had several shows back then. He hosted several shows back then - most notably "Patok na Patok" on Channel 4 and was the lead in the sitcom "Four The Boys." I remember watching his movie "Zoom Zoom Superman" on Channel 9 (?).

I made a mistake of describing the games of the 70's compared to today. It was definitely more fun and the last thing in the world that can be described to our generation was "socially-challenged." During summer, we normally would go out around 4PM to play with friends and neighbors when the weather is much cooler. But from morning to around 3PM, TV was our prime entertainment back then. Of course, we also had gadgets on hand - "Game and Watch," (Popeye, Octopus) and Atari (remember the default "Combat" being given out free as part of the Atari package?) but the latter was more of the early 80's already.

Disc-O-Rama was a hit every Saturdays back then at 5:30PM. Hosted by the late Bobby Ledesma, we saw the latest dance steps from top dancers. GMA also had Penthouse 7, where we saw the terpsichordean skills of Mike Monserrat and former Circus Band member Ray-An Fuentes. Monserrat went on to participate in Deney Terio's "Dance Fever" shown every Saturdays in the early 80's and placed first runner-up in the Grand Finals. I'm trying to recall if Monserrat and his partner (I forgot her name) danced to the tune of Dan Hartman's "Instant Replay" where the song started with a countdown from 10 to 1.

I learned how to dance through SOUL TRAIN.

I used to dance before in the 70s. Mike Monserrat and Sandy Hontiveros placed 2nd in Playboy Disco Derby held at Silahis International Hotel in 1979. The son or daughter (?) of Elizabeth Ramsey and partner went on to win the championship.

Before Playboy, there was the Circuit dance competition held every Tuesday in Hyatt Regency where Princess Misa and Eric Edralin won first place. But the real dance showdown place was WHERE ELSE! No prize money, only bragging rights.

Yes, Ariel Ureta had several shows back then. He hosted several shows back then - most notably "Patok na Patok" on Channel 4 and was the lead in the sitcom "Four The Boys." I remember watching his movie "Zoom Zoom Superman" on Channel 9 (?).

I made a mistake of describing the games of the 70's compared to today. It was definitely more fun and the last thing in the world that can be described to our generation was "socially-challenged." During summer, we normally would go out around 4PM to play with friends and neighbors when the weather is much cooler. But from morning to around 3PM, TV was our prime entertainment back then. Of course, we also had gadgets on hand - "Game and Watch," (Popeye, Octopus) and Atari (remember the default "Combat" being given out free as part of the Atari package?) but the latter was more of the early 80's already.

Disc-O-Rama was a hit every Saturdays back then at 5:30PM. Hosted by the late Bobby Ledesma, we saw the latest dance steps from top dancers. GMA also had Penthouse 7, where we saw the terpsichordean skills of Mike Monserrat and former Circus Band member Ray-An Fuentes. Monserrat went on to participate in Deney Terio's "Dance Fever" shown every Saturdays in the early 80's and placed first runner-up in the Grand Finals. I'm trying to recall if Monserrat and his partner (I forgot her name) danced to the tune of Dan Hartman's "Instant Replay" where the song started with a countdown from 10 to 1.

Ariel Ureta. The guy got a good dose of martial law when he came up with the statement "sa ikauunlad ng bayan, bisikleta ang kailangan." I think he was picked up by Marcos' henchmen who made him do community service as I recall. One thing about Ariel Ureta, his on-screen persona is the complete opposite of his personality. On tv, he was a comedian and yet I've seen him in real life. He's serious, quiet and very reserved in his decorum. I don't know if he still comes out on television.

As for Game and Watch, I had the Popeye game. Used to spend hours on that gadget. Makes me wonder why I sometimes complain about kids who spend so much time on computer games. Thanks for reminding me that I was once a kid too...

Edited by maxiev

I only remember her and Harry Gasser of Channel 9. I have no recollection of the BBC 2 newscasters. Of course, Sesame Street and the Electric Company were staples for kids but I hardly watched them. I was more interested in GMA 7's Fabulous Five of robot cartoons. Mekanda, Daimos, Mazinger Z , Grendaizer, and Voltes V.

Does anyone recall the name of the newscaster who always ended his report with the phrase "and that's the way it is."

Does anyone recall the name of the newscaster who always ended his report with the phrase "and that's the way it is."

Hmmm...not sure about this but the likely answers would be:

1. Bon Vibar

2. Angelo Castro, Jr. (although this was post-Edsa already)

3. Jomari Velez (also post-Edsa as well)

4. Frankie Abao, Jr. (he with the long ears)

I had Octopus and a sibling had Popeye. Game B was more difficult than Game A. I believe Game and Watch became a fad in the early 80s and not the 70s.

There's another game when you move horizontally from one end to another - both ends representing a door. This, while trying to avoid the falling hammers, pots, pans, etc. I forgot the name of this game - "Hammer" was it?

Yes, this could be somewhere in the early 80's already. Back in the late 70's, apart from playing outside or watching TV, I was fascinated with The Hardy Boys and collected these zealously. I still have these - all 58 hardbound copies and still try to read it once in a while when I'm not doing anything. With the advent of E-Books though, one can get hold of these and read through iPad. I didn't find the tv show Hardy Boys (shown Tuesdays at 7:30PM on GMA7) that interesting though. I did find Pamela Sue Martin, the Nancy Drew, attractive and cute. Frank Hardy was of course, Parker Stevenson (who later appeared in Baywatch in the 90's as one of the pioneer stars of that worldwide hit show) while Shaun Cassidy was Joe Hardy. Cassidy came from a singing family, his elder brother David, also a performer himself. Shaun did a cover of "Surfin' USA" by the Beach Boys but became famous because of his track "De Do Run Run."

Taxicab rates (no aircon cabs back then) were at P0.40 flagdown and P0.20 per 400 meters, if I'm not mistaken. Jeepney rates were at P0.30. I remember when our yaya would pick me up and my younger sibling from school. She was given P1.00 by my mother so we can go home. If we took the jeep, it'll cost us P0.90 but we're still to walk around 300 meters going home. If we took the cab, we get to be dropped off in front of the house, and we pay only P0.80. Most famous taxicab company back then was Golden Taxi.

Snacks included a soda (Royal Lem-O-Lime, Teem, Fress Gusto) which cost P0.15 - you pay P0.25 but when you return the bottle, you get the P0.10 back. Normal snacks in school back then were famous local choco bars "Wafrets" and "Manor House" made by CFC (now Universal Robina), Barbecue Chips (by Jack & Jill), Choco-Vim, Sunkist in the triangular pack, among others. Tarzan was the gum you bought if you want to make a bubble while Juicy Fruit and Chiclets were there to freshen one's breath.

School field trips were often held at the PAEC in Diliman, Fort Santiago and Luneta, Magnolia Flavor House along Aurora Boulevard, Planetarium, Ayala Museum, among many others. Popular steakhouses were Luigi's (owned by the family of Agot Isidro) and Alfredo's, both along Tomas Morato in QC.

I didn't find the tv show Hardy Boys (shown Tuesdays at 7:30PM on GMA7) that interesting though. I did find Pamela Sue Martin, the Nancy Drew, attractive and cute. Frank Hardy was of course, Parker Stevenson (who later appeared in Baywatch in the 90's as one of the pioneer stars of that worldwide hit show) while Shaun Cassidy was Joe Hardy. Cassidy came from a singing family, his elder brother David, also a performer himself. Shaun did a cover of "Surfin' USA" by the Beach Boys but became famous because of his track "De Do Run Run."

i remember that song - da doo ron ron ron, da doo ron ron. and the hardy boys tv series, which weren't as exciting as the books as you say. i read the bobbsey twins, too, and wish i could get a copy of The Bobbsey Twins' Red White and Blue Mystery set in Colonial Williamsburg.

remember when Magnolia milk and chocolait came in bottles and topped with paper caps? those were so good.

I think that Game and Watch game was Chef. I definitely remember the Ayala Museum and its dioramas. That's where we had our grade school field trips. It is currently a part of Greenbelt 5. Magnolia Ice Cream House was there as far as I can remember. The area, I believe, has diminished as it is now part of Robinson's Magnolia but it still packs them in. It is, indeed, a legendary ice cream house.

There you go! Chef it is! Thanks NF for the recall...

Some board games we used to play in the 70's - Game of the Generals - where a Spy beats a 5-Star General but will lose to a Private. Ingenious game invented by a Filipino.

Another game was Masterminds. Four different colored pins (green, yellow, red, blue) - you secretly hide four pins and let your opponent guess (10x) what the pins are and its proper position. Of course, for each guess, you have to state what pins were correct and what pins were not. Great for deductive reasoning.

remember when Magnolia milk and chocolait came in bottles and topped with paper caps? those were so good.

What was even more phenomenal back then was that the Magnolia Chocolait was actually delivered literally at your doorstep...Of course, it's not like in the US when the bottled milk was left outside your gate - it'll be gone two seconds after it has been placed. But the delivery guy would ring the doorbell and leave you with the milk every morning. You get it chilled as well, making it a perfect breakfast companion.

Thereafter, the one liter bottle will now be used to store cold water for drinking...

There's no cable tv yet so a popular past time was listening to dramas on AM radio. I remember our lavandera listening to Shimatar, Ito ang inyong Tiya Dely, Mr Lonely, kuya Cezar and there's Gabi ng Lagim at night. Popular radio commentators were Johnny De leon , Ric Radam , Paeng Yabut and the other Guy with puffy cheeks who is active till now. There's also TITA Betty a childen's program. And before manga there was The Komiks. Aliwan, TSS Romance and the Liwayway which started mga 1929 pa. Magazines were MOD. Panorama and TV times .

I don't know about that. It still takes forever sometimes to dial someone's number on my cellphone. There have been so many times I just kept waiting and waiting for the call to connect. And then all of a sudden, the call in progress just ends. At least back then, dropped calls weren't a reality like they are today on cell phones. And the signal quality....it makes me just as furious today to engage in garbled/choppy conversations. It's a good think I'm on a post-paid unli plan...if the call is dropped, I simply call back. I feel sorry for the people who are charged P6.50 a minute only to have their call dropped after only 10 seconds into the call. And those who have to contend with choppy calls because the signal is weak are being shortchanged by the telecom networks.

• Like (+1) 1

Oh and another thing. I find P6.50 a minute expensive compared to about P1.30 a minute if you call a Hong Kong number using a HK SIM card while visiting HK. The load really goes a long way. And I think the load of a HK SIM card expires after 6 months...not 75 days as is the case with Globe and Smart SIM cards. And the quality of the calls...there's just no comparing the quality between the HK telecoms and the Philippine telecoms. Conversations are extremely crisp and sharp...no dropped calls, signal is available even in the MTR underground. Over here, right in the heart of Makati, the home base of Globe Telecom, I make and receive garbled calls wherever I go. More often than not, the calls are dropped. I can't even use my mobile phone where I live.....a Makati village. Signal is virtually non-existent. Text messages sometimes are delayed several hours....truly horrible service.

And the quality of the complaints department.... OMG that's under thing altogether. It's like they're reading from a script. Once you deviate from the script, they just give inane answers.

On a scale of 1-10 with ten being a perfect score, I'd rate Globe a 3. And to think they keep on bragging about their LTE service.

JUST GIVE ME A DAMNED SIGNAL!!!!

I'm sorry for the ranting. I know I'm off topic but I just couldn't help compare the frustrations I feel today between "modern telecoms" with the old rotary, fixed line phones of PLDT....Even with the irritating party lines.

Edited by sonnyt111
  • Like (+1) 1

What was even more phenomenal back then was that the Magnolia Chocolait was actually delivered literally at your doorstep...Of course, it's not like in the US when the bottled milk was left outside your gate - it'll be gone two seconds after it has been placed. But the delivery guy would ring the doorbell and leave you with the milk every morning. You get it chilled as well, making it a perfect breakfast companion.

Thereafter, the one liter bottle will now be used to store cold water for drinking...

Do any of you remember these really old guys pushing a yellow colored magnolia cart while ringing his bell as hard as he could. The second I heard the bell, I knew there was someone outside selling popcycles , ice crean sandwiches, etc. One of the best ememories as I was growing up in San Lorenzo Village. I wish they would revive this mode of sales so the kids today would have enjoy the taste of home delivered ice cream and what it was like growing up in the

60's and 70's. Imagine the ice cream dealers come to you. So there's no need to even go to the supermarket.

post-355512-0-05025100-1367264381.jpg

I actually got to see Jack Lord, James MacArthur and the other cast members shooting an episode at the Hilton Hawaiian Village in 1978. Was lucky enough to get this close to snap his picture. Crowds were trying to get close and police and security were trying to create a "cordon sanitaire" for the crew. I happened to be behind the police and the guards who didn't notice me. He he he...post-355512-0-41683400-1362057356.jpg