Back To The 70's

Selecta was our family's favorite ice cream brand for 2 reasons: their ice cream, mixed with carabao milk, was indeed very good and the other reason was that the Arces were (and still are) very close family friends of ours. I grew up with Selecta ice cream at home (in their trademark metal containers) and we were frequent customers at their old restaurant on Roxas Boulevard. My favorite flavor was the Macapuno. :cool:

Yeah, me too. That and the Ube...plus, I remember that you could actually chew macapuno in almost every bite unlike the Arce ice cream of today (or is it just me?).

Dagdag ko pa po

Combat - Vic Morrow and Ric Jason

Space 1999

yup remebered that... james at 16

threes company (john ritter +)

different strokes (gary coleman)

the waltons

m.a.s.h.

gunsmoke (60s? not sure)

rat patrol (not sure if its in the late 60s or eraly 70s)

happy days (henry "the fonz" winkler, ron howard)

soap

fantasy island (ricardo montalban)

mork and mindy (robin williams)

the love boat

street of san francisco (m. douglas & karl malden)

kojak (telly savalas)

eight is enough

little house on the prairie (michael london)

bionic man (lee majors)

bionic woman (lindsay wagner)

beretta (robert blake)

thunderbirds - animated series

the wild wild west (robert conrad)

Edited by lomex32
Selecta was our family's favorite ice cream brand for 2 reasons: their ice cream, mixed with carabao milk, was indeed very good and the other reason was that the Arces were (and still are) very close family friends of ours. I grew up with Selecta ice cream at home (in their trademark metal containers) and we were frequent customers at their old restaurant on Roxas Boulevard. My favorite flavor was the Macapuno. :cool:

Pards! The Arces used to be (don't know now) one of the traditionally Bedan families. Some of them even became my batchmates in SBC. In GS, pag birthday nila, their yayas would bring gallons of ice cream for the whole class. Kilala mo si Ariel? Kaklase ko yun for many years!

Paborito ko yung mantecado (dati) saka yung avocado (ngayon).

Hmmm...pareng Storm, parang there's one on the list that seems totally out-of-place. If 'she' ever entered the movie business, I'm not aware about it. She was, however, a friend's GF in the '70's.

I know what you mean, a model among the "bold" stars. Hotdog's song "Beh Buti Nga" was playing on my mind when I posted that one.

Hello augustmoon,

I can't elaborate for obvious reasons, but is this the one that involved "raw meat"?

I also heard about this one but Pilar Pilapil is one of the sexiest and hottest babes of all time.

A lot of KP-500's were sold and installed at Roger's Roadstar stall at Autocycle. Mayroon pang mga EQ's with "reverb" pa. When you installed a Tri-axial in the rear, ok ka na (or so we thought back then)! :D

In 1979, I installed a KP 900 in our Galant. The KP 900 was the first one I remembered with separate power amplifiers and really heart pounding bass if matched with 9" woofers. Parang QUEUE Disco inside the car. Those days, I could get cassette tapes recorded in Wherelse and other Discos.

Memorable cult film "for the boys" from '74. The following year, it was "Death Race 2000". Uso ang mga films with car chases after French Connection scored big in '71. The trend wore itself out towards the end of the decade. Other films of that kind I can recall are the Seven-Ups (w/ Roy Scheider), Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry & Race with the Devil (both with Peter Fonda). Marami pa diyan, including films with Bronson or Eastwood.

In Death Race 2000, Sylvester Stallone played the villain as Machine Gun Kelly. Another favorite was Rollerblade.

And Smokey and the Bandit :D

I agree with you, pards. My 2 favorite car chase scenes are from Bullitt (1968, starred Steve McQueen) and The Seven-ups (1973) with Roy Scheider. The Seven-ups car chase scene through the streets of Manhattan was great. I never tire of watching it whenever the movie is shown on cable. I read somewhere that Roy Scheider did not use a double for these scenes. I believe it was inspired by the car chase scene in Bullitt where the chases were filmed in San Francisco. Such scenes from both movies are truly classics! :thumbsupsmiley:

I missed these 2 movies. I'll look for the DVDs.

...and don't forget to shake well before opening. :D

Magnolia still ruled with the popular dairy products, although Selecta (when the Arce's still ran it) kinda maintained cult status where people were willing to drive to Roxas Blvd. to have that good ol' ice cream made from carabao milk. They had expanded into a resto for awhile, but the times caught up with them eventually.

...and new ice-cream "players" like Coney Island started coming in.

(pahabol) :P

Before Coney Island, there's Silver Bells and Presto Ice Cream which manufactured Coney Island if I'm not mistaken.

and how about dairy queen along buendia ave. palaging pila nuon dun.

Favorite tambayan namin ito to look for cute mestisa girls.

Ako rin!

Tsaka yung cheese and macapuno. Tsaka yung buko or buco-lychee sherbet. :thumbsupsmiley:

bell bottoms pants

syete style haircut

all star converse/ chuck taylor rubber shoes

rota itallia mags (banana type, mini-lites, stratos, europa...etc.)

di pa uso lawlaw na basketball jersey uniform. masikip at maikli ang shorts tapos ang socks mahaba ala samboy lim

drag racing sa whiteplains, nagkikita at nagpopormahan muna sa tapat ng greenhills theater

sanrio products

action transfer stickers

chocovim (chocolate drink in a bottle, my favorite)

Welcome to the thread acl

You forgot American Racing matched with BF Goodrich Radial TA

There's drag racing in Quezon Ave. Pormahan naman sa Aberdeen Court.

Voltes 5 and GI Joes

My favorite then and even up to now are adidas and puma

Lacoste and Fred Perry shirts

street of san francisco (m. douglas & karl malden)

kojak (telly savalas)

eight is enough

little house on the prairie (michael london)

bionic man (lee majors)

bionic woman (lindsay wagner)

beretta (robert blake)

thunderbirds - animated series

the wild wild west (robert conrad)

Dagdag ko yung My Favorite Martian

Hawaii 5-O

Starsky and Hutch

6 Million Dollar Man

Mission Impossible

Fantastic Voyage

The Benny Hill Show

The Mod Squad

and Charlie's Angels :thumbsupsmiley:

Hi augustmoon :)

Yup, it's quieted down a notch, but also better time management is the key. I try to work more hours offline.

One thing that hasn't changed at all since the 70s are our so-called local variety shows. It's ironic they call them such when the format is basially the same for the past 40 years. Oh well, if it sells....

Jingle magazines eventually became Twinkle, di ba? Dun ako natuto mag guitara. Speaking of guitars, hows pareng eight-track doing? Pareng Masi and Mareng Liberty?

Hi Pareng Slide, thread starter Pareng Storm, my kumare Ms. Augustmoon, and the old and new regulars of the 70's thread! Yes, I'm somewhere around just lurking, enjoying all your kwentos! It's fun reminiscing our good ol' days, makes us feel young (er).

You're right Slide, my iPod has 60s, 70s, 80s music as well, mga national anthems natin na walang kakupas-kupas... oooooh, the harder i try, the bluer i get... hey, that's not the way we planned it... i love you more today than yesterday, but not as much as tomorrow...

Parang ganun lang ka-simple ang buhay noh?

So, do I hear EB, EB, EB??? :cool:

mga national anthems natin na walang kakupas-kupas... oooooh, the harder i try, the bluer i get... hey, that's not the way we planned it... i love you more today than yesterday, but not as much as tomorrow...

Akala ko ang national anthem natin yung "May bagong silang...may bago nang diwa...bagong galaw...bagong sigla...sa bagong..." :boo: :evil: :boo: Ok! Ok! I guess not.... :D :D :D

mga national anthems natin na walang kakupas-kupas... oooooh, the harder i try, the bluer i get... hey, that's not the way we planned it... i love you more today than yesterday, but not as much as tomorrow...

Speaking of The Harder I Try: Very memorable sa aking yang kantang yan. I sang that song once during a school program in HS. Syempre invited yung GF ko who's from a neighboring school. Marami rin ibang girls na invited from other schools (all boys kasi kami eh) and they all seem to be happy kasi popular kilig song yan nung araw eh kahit medyo oldies na nung time namin. Pagkatapos ng program, lapit ako sa GF ko proud pa ko eh syempre ngiting-ngiti ako tapos tinanong ko sya. "Ano? Ayos ba yung number? Ayos naman diba?" Biglang sumimangot ba naman tapos ayaw ba naman ako kibuin. Iniirapan lang ako. So kinulit ko. "Ano ba problema?". Bandang huli, sumagot din. "Eh kasi panay pa pa-cute mo habang kumakanta eh!" Hanep ah! :blink: :blink: :blink:

Hi Pareng Slide, thread starter Pareng Storm, my kumare Ms. Augustmoon, and the old and new regulars of the 70's thread! Yes, I'm somewhere around just lurking, enjoying all your kwentos! It's fun reminiscing our good ol' days, makes us feel young (er).

You're right Slide, my iPod has 60s, 70s, 80s music as well, mga national anthems natin na walang kakupas-kupas... oooooh, the harder i try, the bluer i get... hey, that's not the way we planned it... i love you more today than yesterday, but not as much as tomorrow...

Hi mareng Liberty :boo:

Yes, yes, yes sa EB. When kayo pwede? Pwede ako tomorrow evening. :thumbsupsmiley:

Akala ko ang national anthem natin yung "May bagong silang...may bago nang diwa...bagong galaw...bagong sigla...sa bagong..." :boo: :evil: :boo: Ok! Ok! I guess not.... :D :D :D

Speaking of The Harder I Try: Very memorable sa aking yang kantang yan. I sang that song once during a school program in HS. Syempre invited yung GF ko who's from a neighboring school. Marami rin ibang girls na invited from other schools (all boys kasi kami eh) and they all seem to be happy kasi popular kilig song yan nung araw eh kahit medyo oldies na nung time namin. Pagkatapos ng program, lapit ako sa GF ko proud pa ko eh syempre ngiting-ngiti ako tapos tinanong ko sya. "Ano? Ayos ba yung number? Ayos naman diba?" Biglang sumimangot ba naman tapos ayaw ba naman ako kibuin. Iniirapan lang ako. So kinulit ko. "Ano ba problema?". Bandang huli, sumagot din. "Eh kasi panay pa pa-cute mo habang kumakanta eh!" Hanep ah! :blink: :blink: :blink:

Natawa ako rito. Relate na relate. :P

In 1979, I decided not to have a gf para walang nagagalit. :D Pero may mga nagagalit pa rin. :angry:

Welcome din kay Lomex.

I'm not fond of chinitas but I guess I have to make an exception. I find the girl in your avatar gorgeous. Dangerously sweet and innocent. :cool:

Thank you.

I tried my best to backread a lot of posts reminiscing the era

Remember :

Coney Island Ice cream? They sell @ half price every 4th of July

In Quiapo upon crossing Quezon bridge going to Lawton, there is a huge Magnolia Ice Cream neon sign

Everyone remembers Good Earth Emporium

Arthur's the maker of quality barongs - its signage ... very familiar

Recall these street names:

Azcarraga

Morayta

Avenida

Echague

Dewey Blvd

Highway 54

Welcome din kay Lomex.

I'm not fond of chinitas but I guess I have to make an exception. I find the girl in your avatar gorgeous. Dangerously sweet and innocent. :cool:

Interesting topic I often passed.....

I remember the red, lawanit-walled JD buses that ply the Andalucia-Quiapo-Ayala Route. Fare then was P0.75 one way. Taxicab's flag down rate was P0.15 and each drop of the meter is P0.10.

Welcome to the thread bro.

Metro-Manila buses then

California Bus Line

De Dios

DM

Metro-Manila Transit and Love Bus - Push the button when get off

and the yellow minibuses plying Highway 54 or EDSA.

I know what you mean, a model among the "bold" stars. Hotdog's song "Beh Buti Nga" was playing on my mind when I posted that one.

Ako naman, what popped into my head was that Sesame Street game where one points out which "one of these things doesn't belong here"..... :D

Edited by starbuck911

I remember the red, lawanit-walled JD buses that ply the Andalucia-Quiapo-Ayala Route. Fare then was P0.75 one way. Taxicab's flag down rate was P0.15 and each drop of the meter is P0.10.

ang mga jeep nuon animan lang magkabila. mahaba na ang jeep nuon kung pituhan ang upo magkabila.

before national bookstore became a big chain as it is now, there was Alemar's. i used to frequent their store at the fiesta carnival facing rustan's after coming from school to browse on their latest u.s. mags especially the ones about bikes. dito ko unang nakita nang lumabas ang kawasaki ninja gpz1100. hindi ako makapaniwala at that engine size. oops medyo OT na. but these mags were seemingly not available at nbs.

Pards! The Arces used to be (don't know now) one of the traditionally Bedan families. Some of them even became my batchmates in SBC. In GS, pag birthday nila, their yayas would bring gallons of ice cream for the whole class. Kilala mo si Ariel? Kaklase ko yun for many years!

You're right, pards. They are a true Bedan family. It's a huge clan and the different branches are now engaged in various businesses such as animal feeds, dairy, gas stations, distribution, etc. Anyway, I met Ariel only once and that was many years ago when one of his uncles got married. I doubt if he remembers me. From what I know, he is currently involved in their animal feeds business where they still use the Selecta brand. In fact, Ariel's branch of the family is the one who's behind the Arce Dairy brand.

Para hindi OT, an actor from the 70s, Roel Vergel De Dios, is Ariel's uncle. Roel is his dad's first cousin. Roel migrated to Canada and has been there for at least 20 years now.

Edited by willow_boy

During that time, there were a number of major taxicab companies that served the Metro Manila area. These were like brand names familiar to regular commuters due to the sheer number of cabs each one had:

1) Golden Taxicab (the words "Golden Taxicab" were painted in gold with a black background)

2) Sincere (the word "Sincere" was in black painted on a light yellow background)

3) Flor-Al (the name was in yellow painted on a green background)

just to name a few.

Edited by willow_boy
you guys remembered the movie SILENT MOVIE (mel brooks)?

I was a kid in the '70's but I do remember that movie. All-star cast because of all the cameos. Here's a spin: do you remember a local movie that practically ripped off the SILENT MOVIE? Clue: It starred the late Bert "Tawa" Marcelo.

I was a kid in the '70's but I do remember that movie. All-star cast because of all the cameos. Here's a spin: do you remember a local movie that practically ripped off the SILENT MOVIE? Clue: It starred the late Bert "Tawa" Marcelo.

i think the title is "wa ako say" or something like that :D

Welcome to the thread brawler 201 and cheers to Mang Bert "Tawa" Marcelo. The best spokesman for San Miguel Pale Pilsen and one of our very best comedians.

"San Miguel Beer. Isang tunay na kaibigan. Hindi mo man mautangan, pwede namang utangin." :D

Earth Wind & Fire: "Reasons"

"September"

"Let's Groove Tonight"

My GF gave her yes to me while dancing sweet to "Reasons".

Also one of our all time favorite kiskis or sweet party music. I have the 2 versions of reasons before. The one is the long and live version included in the Gratitude album. :thumbsupsmiley:

One of the bands in Tiendesitas can do a mean Reasons number ala Philip Bailey.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) Hola! Hola! Liberty. Good you're back!!! We really need to feel younger...remember its AUGUST again next month and you know what THAT means to us eh? :cry: Catch you at Y.

Slide di na kita naabutan sa Y -_-