Back To The 70's

Pag pumunta ka sa games -- lalo na pag La Salle -Ateneo, hindi mo alam kung uuwi ka ng buhay.

Now, we can even bring our children and enjoy ourselves totally.

That's actually a pretty good and welcome development as the culture of both schools have really changed towards a greater acceptance of each other's existence.

The last game La Salle played in the NCAA, there was a rumble also. Letran naman ang kalaban. The day after, the newspapers showed pictures of the Rizal Coliseum with the seats ripped off. There were reports that said it was Danding's hired goons who started the brawl. I don't remember what came of the investigation.

I do remember that SBC back then always took the side of La Salle and never jeered against the green side (schools took sides too. Kampi-kampihan). Maybe because we had a common perception of Ateneo being THE "enemy"? (Maybe that's also why during my time, there were more Bedan HS grads transferring to DLSU than ADMU for college?)

(My sons go to ADMU btw. So that means I respect the school. And to think I'm a 2nd gen Bedan!)

im here in cbtl gateway, ANG DAMING CONO!!!

parang kelan lang tambayan ito ng mga baklitang naghahanap ng hada sa chubibo ng fiesta carnival.

wahh!! inggit ako. sila pumapasok sa loob para manood, ako pinanonood lang sila pumasok!!!

10k ang asking ng scalper for genadmin tickets.

GO, ATENEO!! ONE BIG FIGHT!!

Doing well bro!

Wow! Steve Miller and the Joker! Haven't heard that one in a long long time.

I have a copy of that album but it's in LP form pa. heheh.

Yup! Still planning ion goin for the biz. So far, on schedule pa naman ako as I wanted to get rid of all my Credit Card payments first in order to start fresh. If al falls right, then it will happen 2009.

When you're free, let's have lunch? We're in the same area, right?

Cheers!

Uy, kumusta ka na? You still planning on setting up the biz? Good luck!

Good luck din sa 2 team mamaya.

Para di OT: LSS ko ngayon Steve Miller Band - The Joker -1973. I remember we were in the school bus and it was playing on DZRJ.

Magaling:

I certainly understand how you feel!

heheh!

I am 3rd Generation Archer but my daughter has chosen to go to ADMU.

Not all is lost as my son is still Green.

As for the NCAA in the 70's, the alliance between some schools certainly existed.

I can not recall a single fight with San Beda during those years as both schools were always respectful of each other.

As for the Cojuangco boys-- that is true as well as Danding ( an alumni ) became involved with the basketball program and thus started bringing with him his bodyguards. Those bodyguards all had Blue Capped Ball pens inside their shirt pockets as some sort of ID for them.

At that game, there was some tussle and one thing led to another. Danding stayed with supporting La Salle for the early periods of the UAAP years where the basketball program was developed in the manner following the programs of the main colleges in the USA. After Danding, many alumnae have been tapped for the support the way Manny Pangilinan does for ADMU now.

:D

The last game La Salle played in the NCAA, there was a rumble also. Letran naman ang kalaban. The day after, the newspapers showed pictures of the Rizal Coliseum with the seats ripped off. There were reports that said it was Danding's hired goons who started the brawl. I don't remember what came of the investigation.

I do remember that SBC back then always took the side of La Salle and never jeered against the green side (schools took sides too. Kampi-kampihan). Maybe because we had a common perception of Ateneo being THE "enemy"? (Maybe that's also why during my time, there were more Bedan HS grads transferring to DLSU than ADMU for college?)

(My sons go to ADMU btw. So that means I respect the school. And to think I'm a 2nd gen Bedan!)

Edited by 16track
Pls check: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_...tball_champions

Mas maraming championships ang Ateneo Seniors in the NCAA vs, La Salle (14 vs. 5). Pero sa UAAP, mas marami ang Lasalle, 7 vs. 3.

Total championships in both NCAA and UAAP: ADMU - 17, DLSU - 12.

Difference lang ng rivalry nung 70s, may chain-link fence between the fans of the two opposing teams di ba?

Tapos grabe ang batuhan, rumble at basagan ng windhsield ng mga kotse.

Di ba SBM and 16track?

Kumusta na kayo dyan? Long time no post ako sa 70s.

Naalala ko kayong lahat nung nakita ko isang USB turntable na ikakabit sa PC tapos automatic conversion to MP3 files ang LP while u are playing the LP. Medyo mahal nga lang $200+.

Mabuhay kayong LAHAT, mga teenagers nung 70s na tanders na ngayon! :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley:

Okay iyanng turntable na iyan ah! Musta na pareng Pinoy? Saan kayo ngayon? Regards to Augustmoon.

As for the Cojuangco boys-- that is true as well as Danding ( an alumni ) became involved with the basketball program and thus started bringing with him his bodyguards. Those bodyguards all had Blue Capped Ball pens inside their shirt pockets as some sort of ID for them.

Danding, of course, was also part-Bedan (GS) although he is without doubt more green than red. Actually, the Cojuangco clan is divided. The Cojuancos of PLDT (Tonyboy, Choy and Mikey) are Ateneans.

Anyway, that's why Rizal Coliseum installed those chicken wire fences to separate the crowds. But outside the venue, the Metrocom just had to do their best. You remember "What shall we do when we all go out?...." usually chanted just before the games end?

Doing well bro!

Wow! Steve Miller and the Joker! Haven't heard that one in a long long time.

I have a copy of that album but it's in LP form pa. heheh.

Yup! Still planning ion goin for the biz. So far, on schedule pa naman ako as I wanted to get rid of all my Credit Card payments first in order to start fresh. If al falls right, then it will happen 2009.

When you're free, let's have lunch? We're in the same area, right?

Cheers!

"Some people call me Maurice- cuz I speak of the pompatous of love." - Hanep yung invented word nya di ba?

I am doing fine, however I'm in Canada now, drumming up some biz for our recruitment agency. I'll be back this December before Chhristmas. So lunch tayo pagdating ko. Kita tayo for sure. Uy malapit na ang 2009. Hope you set up your biz and it becomes successful. :thumbsupsmiley:

Okay iyanng turntable na iyan ah! Musta na pareng Pinoy? Saan kayo ngayon? Regards to Augustmoon.

Paeng Storm, nasa Saskatoon, Canada ako ngayon- magtatatlong buwan na. Si Mareng Augustmoon nandyan pa rin. Hehehe buhay binata ako dito. Gumiginaw na nga eh. Walang kaakap. pero alam mo naman :hypocritesmiley: tayo dito. EB tayo pag uwi ko. masarp mag EB ng December.

LSS today.

Heard this one while driving to work this morning:

I always thought the girl in that movie was quite pretty.

=======================================

What would they say if we up and ran away

From the roaring crowd

And the worn out city faces

Would they carry on and on

When they found out we were gone

Or would they let us go

Would they tag along or would they just...

Leave us alone, wed live in the country

Leave us alone, wed make it just fine

Happy in a one-room shack

And wed not look back

Now would we

What would they do if they found out we were through

With the little lies and the downtown aggravations

That we traded them away for a quiet country day

That we had hoped to share

Would they try to find out where we were, or...

:D

these "bodyguards" were actually farm boys & men (sacadas) bussed all the way fr tarlac to rizal memorial on that fateful day sometime aug 1980 (if i recall)...they are easy to spot because most if not all of them wore sandals in addition to their blue ballpens on their ragged shirts.. tagged as the "ballpen brigade", they occupied most of the bleacher section of la salle...when the rumble started my old man and i at the box section of la salle waited for more than 2hrs before we left for home...dat memory of a letranista in the reserved section being mugged by these sacadas still lingers in our minds whenever we talkd about it...if i see that photo again in the internet ill post it here...but that happend in the 80s.

:goatee:

Edited by LYCHEE
"Some people call me Maurice- cuz I speak of the pompatous of love." - Hanep yung invented word nya di ba?

I am doing fine, however I'm in Canada now, drumming up some biz for our recruitment agency. I'll be back this December before Chhristmas. So lunch tayo pagdating ko. Kita tayo for sure. Uy malapit na ang 2009. Hope you set up your biz and it becomes successful. :thumbsupsmiley:

Paeng Storm, nasa Saskatoon, Canada ako ngayon- magtatatlong buwan na. Si Mareng Augustmoon nandyan pa rin. Hehehe buhay binata ako dito. Gumiginaw na nga eh. Walang kaakap. pero alam mo naman :hypocritesmiley: tayo dito. EB tayo pag uwi ko. masarp mag EB ng December.

Kung buhay binata ka e di buhay dalaga naman si mareng augustmoon. :boo: Hehehe. Parang mahirap yata yung magkalayo kayu lalo na't papalamig nang papalamig diyan. Dito wet-wet pa rin sa ulan and bagyo. Sige pre EB tayo pagbalik mo!

LSS today.

From the roaring crowd

Or would they let us go

And wed not look back

Now would we

Theme from the Boy in the Plastic Bubble sung by Paul Williams. :thumbsupsmiley:

Kami nagchampion din sa UAAP - twice in a row pa! UP PEP squad!

these "bodyguards" were actually farm boys & men (sacadas) bussed all the way fr tarlac to rizal memorial on that fateful day sometime aug 1980 (if i recall)...they are easy to spot because most if not all of them wore sandals in addition to their blue ballpens on their ragged shirts.. tagged as the "ballpen brigade", they occupied most of the bleacher section of la salle...when the rumble started my old man and i at the box section of la salle waited for more than 2hrs before we left for home...dat memory of a letranista in the reserved section being mugged by these sacadas still lingers in our minds whenever we talkd about it...if i see that photo again in the internet ill post it here...but that happend in the 80s.

i remember my older cousins where there. letranista kami. bumawi sila sa parking lot ng la salle. tinira daw mga auto dun.

LSS today.

From the roaring crowd

Or would they let us go

And wed not look back

Now would we

bata pa ni john travolta noon. puidi na ring i-replay ang movie today as he story is about a kid who was born with a disease very much like AIDS

post-20752-1222449738.jpg

bata pa ni john travolta noon. puidi na ring i-replay ang movie today as he story is about a kid who was born with a disease very much like AIDS

saw that movie sevral times sa tv back in late 70s pa.

madalas magpalabas rpn 9 ng mga made-for-tv movies and this was one of them.

nice story.

sa ending eventually John one morning risked going out of his bubble and try to see what its like to live a normal life, outside his artificial environment. doctors said that he wouldn't live for a few seconds outside that bubble.

he survived

A couple of days back I was in Cubao to watch the San Beda JRU Finals at the Araneta. As per usual custom I would park in Gateway with some time to spare so I took the extra time to stroll around my old 70s stomping grounds and see how it has evolved.

I went to Aurora Blvd to see if my favorite theatres were still there. I refer to Remar, Diamond and Coronet (hindi Coronet Inn ha, iba yun). In the old days, if there was a cool movie to watch (anything with Charlton Heston in it), chances are it would be showing in any of theose 3 moviehouses. Alas, all three were gone.

A lot of the old familiar places are gone (except for New Frontier). No more Nation theatre, Quezon theatre, Fiesta Carnical, C.O.D. One thing I noticed though. Even if most of the familiar facades are gone, regardless of where I was standing, I had an instinctive awareness of exactly where I was. Maybe it was all those years spent hanging out there that permanently etched a geographical awareness in my psych (same thing with Greenhills).

Alas I had to cut my memory stroll short because walking around is hell on the lungs. The diesel fumes were simply too over-powering.

the boy in the plastic bubble,,that was the title of that movie

a lit'l bit of trivia: the actress who played john's mom was actually his real-life girlfriend..who eventually died of cancer

saw that movie sevral times sa tv back in late 70s pa.

madalas magpalabas rpn 9 ng mga made-for-tv movies and this was one of them.

nice story.

sa ending eventually John one morning risked going out of his bubble and try to see what its like to live a normal life, outside his artificial environment. doctors said that he wouldn't live for a few seconds outside that bubble.

he survived

Edited by gumshoe

@sliderule

Nandun ka? Di tayo nagkita? I was wearing red.... (Yeh right, like that helps! Hahaha)

The one thing that hasn't changed about Cubao is the Araneta Coliseum. Exactly how it was and how I remember it to be the first time I saw it... even Farmers Market is no longer the same (parang lumiit?). Pati yung mga tindahan ng mga halaman sa tabi ng Farmers parang kumonti na rin.

Matagal na rin wala yung Spice of Life....

@sliderule

Nandun ka? Di tayo nagkita? I was wearing red.... (Yeh right, like that helps! Hahaha)

The one thing that hasn't changed about Cubao is the Araneta Coliseum. Exactly how it was and how I remember it to be the first time I saw it... even Farmers Market is no longer the same (parang lumiit?). Pati yung mga tindahan ng mga halaman sa tabi ng Farmers parang kumonti na rin.

Matagal na rin wala yung Spice of Life....

Game 1 sa ilalim ng goal, and I'm pretty sure nadinig ni Wilson yung mga expletives ko hehe, Game 3 sa likod ng Beda bench, katabi namin si Sudan...cant wait for Season85 man ! Nasa Mendiola ka after? 2AM and the party was still on, so the cops arrived....hala....pina shot ng Beda boys, nakisali sa inuman ang mga pulis ! Whatta' night.

Yung New Frontier actually ang walang pagbabago. Bulok pa rin. If I'm not mistaken, the very first McDonald's was there. Mga 1981 my then GF forced me to watch Dina Bonnevie's first movie "Katorse" in New Frontier. Nation theater naman was where I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey. Having watched it many times as an adult, I still don't understand that movie until now. Can you imagine my confusion watching it in 1969? Meron dun Funhouse dati, the ancestor ng mga Time Zone. The Towering Inferno, sa Quezon theater. The original Death Race : 2000, sa Coronet ko sana papanuorin, bwisit - For Adults Only, d ako pinapasok ! Wala naman akong sedula. :grr:

Well, Araneta isn't exactly the same anymore what with Gateway now protruding from its side. Reminds me of Seth Brundle fused to the Transporter Pod (I am of course referring to "The Fly" 1986 version). At saka wala na yung original National Book Store sa ground floor.

post-79658-1222954126.jpg

Game 1 sa ilalim ng goal, and I'm pretty sure nadinig ni Wilson yung mga expletives ko hehe, Game 3 sa likod ng Beda bench, katabi namin si Sudan...cant wait for Season85 man ! Nasa Mendiola ka after? 2AM and the party was still on, so the cops arrived....hala....pina shot ng Beda boys, nakisali sa inuman ang mga pulis ! Whatta' night.

This is the first time in the Finals na for all three games, the best seats I could get were lower box. Mabuti pa nung '06 and '07 parating patron. Anyway, basta manalo. No, I didn't go to Mendiola because I have a 7am meeting the next day and wanted to avoid staying up late. If you've been watching the games regularly, then there's a good chance we've actually seen each other. Baka nga magkakilala pa tayo! Hahaha!

SM Cubao, ganun pa rin. Ali Mall, iba na rin.

Favorite naming tambayan noon yung Coronado Lanes sa taas ng dating Rustan's at tsaka yung Shakey's sa Ali Mall.

Geez! It must have been more than a decade since I've been inside Ali Mall! These days, ang madalas ko na lang napupuntahan sa Cubao (aside from Araneta of course) is AutoCentro for car accessories and P.Tuazon for mags and tires.

Alam ko since magsimula ako mapahilig sa kotse nung '80s, may Auto Centro na. At ang P.Tuazon, bilihan na talaga ng gulong at mags. Ganun na rin ba nung '70s? (Sorry, I was still too young to drive back then ala pa ko kotse nun. Hehehe)