Jodie Foster

Shirley Maclaine

Julie Andrews

Melanie Griffith

Vilma Santos

Maricel Soriano

Gina Alajar

Rio Locsin

Gloria Romero - walang kupas kasi mula pa nung 50s?

Remember:

Santana's "Sambapati, Oye Como Va, etc."

Paul Jabarra's "Trapped in a Stairway" (from the movie TGIF)

The Temptation's "Psychedelic Shack"

The Ritchie Family's "Best Disco In Town," "Brazil," "Frenesi"

The Ides of March's "Vehicle" w/c was performed in American Idol last year

Jethro Tull's "Aqualung" and "Cross-eyed Mary"

Isley Brother's "Highways of My Life"

Grand Funk Railroad's "We're an American Band"

Frankie Vallie's "Swearin' to God"

The Blackbyrd's "Walkin' In Rhythm"

Edgar Winter Group's "Free Ride"

The Doobie Brothers' "Jesus is Just Alright," "Listen to the Music," "Long Train Running," "Without Love"

Bachman Turner Overdrive's "Taking Care of Business"

Allman Brothers Band's "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed," "Statesboro Blues"

Steppenwolf's "Born to be Wild"

Dennis Lambert's "Of all the things"

Rupert Holmes' "Terminal"

Jose Feliciano's "It Doesn't Matter Anyhow"

Chuck Mangione's "Hill Where the Lord Hides"

Firefly's "Hey There Little Firefly" (plus they have another hit song that escapes my memory, yung

parang scat lang, walang lyrics)

The Commodores' "Machine Gun"

Ronnie Dyson's "I Just Don't Wanna Be Lonely" with a local version by Boy Camarra

Gilbert O Sullivan's "Alone Again Naturally"

Heatwave's "Heatwave," "All You Do is Dial"

Tavares' "Hardcore Poetry," "She's Gone"

The Miracles' "Love Machine," "City of Angels"

Silver Convention's "San Francisco Hustle"

Seventh Avenue's "Midnight in Manhattan," and "From Chicago to the Sky" (70's ba 'to?)

Yup it was funnyman Ariel Ureta. Incidentally, he has a show at the ANC Channel entitled "My Favorite Show."

Martial Law was formally announced on September 23, 1972.

I agree with you on the circa 70-72 before Martial Law. Uso noon ang sobrang long hair. From the Beatles to Alice Cooper. I have cousins who lost their minds due to drugs. Sayang sila.

I started attending typars in 1973. I saw a Circus band concert that year. Si Pabs Dadivas and Tillie Moreno ang lead vocals nila. Backup lang noon sina Hajji Alejandro and Basil Valdez pero nang magdisband, unang sumikat si Basil for Ngayon at Kailanman then sinundan ni Hajji with Panakip Butas.

Favorites namin sa mga typars noon (circa 73-76) ay:

Tower of Power

Led Zeppelin, particularly - Stairway to Heaven

MFSB

Three Degrees

Barry White

Diana Ross

Blue Magic

The Stylistics

The Temptations

BeeGees

Sergio Mendez

Gino Vanelli

Lani Hall

Astrud Gilberto

Deodato

KC & the Sunshine band

Seals and Crofts

The Doobie Brothers

Maureen McGovern

Friends of distinction

The Main Ingredient

Chicago

Aveage White Band

Sige na nga si Barry Mannilow

HotDog

Paul Williams

Olivia Newton-John

Wings

Chuck Mangione

Ramsey Lewis

Bob James

Major Harris

Cerrone

Biddu Orchestra

The Commodores

Earth Wind and Fire

among others

Remember:

Santana's "Sambapati, Oye Como Va, etc."

Paul Jabarra's "Trapped in a Stairway" (from the movie TGIF)

The Temptation's "Psychedelic Shack"

The Ritchie Family's "Best Disco In Town," "Brazil," "Frenesi"

The Ides of March's "Vehicle" w/c was performed in American Idol last year

Jethro Tull's "Aqualung" and "Cross-eyed Mary"

Isley Brother's "Highways of My Life"

Grand Funk Railroad's "We're an American Band"

Frankie Vallie's "Swearin' to God"

The Blackbyrd's "Walkin' In Rhythm"

Edgar Winter Group's "Free Ride"

The Doobie Brothers' "Jesus is Just Alright," "Listen to the Music," "Long Train Running," "Without Love"

Bachman Turner Overdrive's "Taking Care of Business"

Allman Brothers Band's "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed," "Statesboro Blues"

Steppenwolf's "Born to be Wild"

Dennis Lambert's "Of all the things"

Rupert Holmes' "Terminal"

Jose Feliciano's "It Doesn't Matter Anyhow"

Chuck Mangione's "Hill Where the Lord Hides"

Firefly's "Hey There Little Firefly" (plus they have another hit song that escapes my memory, yung

parang scat lang, walang lyrics)

The Commodores' "Machine Gun"

Ronnie Dyson's "I Just Don't Wanna Be Lonely" with a local version by Boy Camarra

Gilbert O Sullivan's "Alone Again Naturally"

Heatwave's "Heatwave," "All You Do is Dial"

Tavares' "Hardcore Poetry," "She's Gone"

The Miracles' "Love Machine," "City of Angels"

Silver Convention's "San Francisco Hustle"

Seventh Avenue's "Midnight in Manhattan," and "From Chicago to the Sky" (70's ba 'to?)

I remember most of them. :cool:

Yup 70s yung Seventh Avenue (1979). Kasabay niya yung Pouzzez.

Blue Magic has another version of Ronnie Dyson's "I Just Don't Wanna Be Lonely"

Tavares' Heaven Must Be Missing an Angel was featured in the remake of Charlie's Angel :thumbsupsmiley:

The Miracles' "City of Angels" was also a high school sweet dance favorite, I remembered how I used to tell my ka-sweet that the song was about LA falling into the seas just in case a strong earthquake hit LA because of the san Andrea's fault, and my ka-sweet would reply "masyado palang morbid yang kantang iyan" :D

Yeah. he was indeed the unidsputed Jukebox King.  I just don't know kung saan iyong mga jukebox na they were referring to.   :)

How about Rey Valera at ang kanyang romantikong awiting "Superman"?  (Sa totoo lang, ok sa 'kin 'tong kanta niyang ito. Hehe   :D   Baduy rin pala 'ko 'no?)

Idagdag na kaya natin ang prinsipe ng mga boses lata--EDDIE PEREGRINA. :P

If i remember right, he and Victor Wood had an intense rivalry as Jukebox King

until Peregrina's untimely death as a result of a car accident in the late 70s.

Edited by Mandrake
Idagdag na kaya natin ang prinsipe ng mga boses lata--EDDIE PEREGRINA. :P

If i remember right, he and Victor Wood had an intense rivalry as Jukebox King

until Peregrina's untimely death as a result of a car accident in the late 70s.

Yeah, Eddie Peregrina was killed at the intersection of Shaw Boulevard and EDSA during the pre-EDSA Crossing underpass days. I think it was 1974 when he died in that car accident.

Sayang classic pa naman iyong kanta niyang "My Pledge of Love". :lol:

Yeah, Eddie Peregrina was killed at the intersection of Shaw Boulevard and EDSA during the pre-EDSA Crossing underpass days.  I think it was 1974 when he died in that car accident. 

Sayang classic pa naman iyong kanta niyang "My Pledge of Love".   :lol:

...at kung gusto mong mainis ng todo, ang walang kamatayang "TOGETHER AAAAGAAAAAINN!"

Paborito ng lola ko yan kasi kaya no choice ako pag nasa radyo ang matanda.

And speaking of AM Radio during that era, who can ever forget the soap dramas of "Ito ang Inyong Tiya Dely" and "Kahapon Lamang ni Kuya Eddie". Sheeessh...as if these were not enough to torture me, my lola would shift to the deadman's voice of Kuya Cesar as he begins to tell the story behind a f***ing love song. :lol: :P

Edited by Mandrake
...at kung gusto mong mainis ng todo, ang walang kamatayang "TOGETHER AAAAGAAAAAINN!"

Paborito ng lola ko yan kasi kaya no choice ako pag nasa radyo ang matanda.

And speaking of AM Radio during that era, who can ever forget the soap dramas of "Ito ang Inyong Tiya Dely" and "Kahapon Lamang ni Kuya Eddie".  Sheeessh...as if these were not enough to torture me, my lola would shift to the deadman's voice of Kuya Cesar as he begins to tell the story behind a f***ing love song. :lol:  :P

Speaking of AM Radio, sikat din sa umaga noon si Johnny De Leon at ang kanyang dakilang sidekick na si Ngongo. :D I think sa DWWW yata iyon. It was part-news and part-entertainment. Too bad na Johnny De Leon died at an early age. Heart attack yata and it was around 1976. Rod Navarro took over not long after that.

Speaking of AM Radio, sikat din sa umaga noon si Johnny De Leon at ang kanyang dakilang sidekick na si Ngongo.  :D  I think sa DWWW yata iyon.  It was part-news and part-entertainment.  Too bad na Johnny De Leon died at an early age.  Heart attack yata and it was around 1976.  Rod Navarro took over not long after that.

sa bahay naman, DZRH ang istasyon ni ermats kung saan namamayagpag tuwing umaga si Rod Navarro. mga bandang mid to late 70s ito where Rod's sidekick on the air was Joe Taruc. at that time umi-extra pa lang si Noli Boy De Castro every sunday lang with his "noli linggo balita". joe taruc's and veep noli's fortune turned brighter when rod navarro abruptly left the country with the marcoses in the aftermath of edsa I.

And speaking of AM Radio during that era, who can ever forget the soap dramas of "Ito ang Inyong Tiya Dely" and "Kahapon Lamang ni Kuya Eddie". 

Napakasakit Kuya Eddie.... :sick:

Sheeessh...as if these were not enough to torture me, my lola would shift to the deadman's voice of Kuya Cesar as he begins to tell the story behind a f***ing love song. :lol:  :P

Tawagin niyo na lamang po ako sa nagtatagong pangalan na....Mr. Lonely. (Sabay tugtog yung kanta "Lonely...I'm Mr. Lonely...I have nobody...) Or some other crappy name like "Capricorn" or "Taurus" etc.

Hahahahaha!

:D :D :D :D :D

Edited by Magaling
Speaking of AM Radio, sikat din sa umaga noon si Johnny De Leon at ang kanyang dakilang sidekick na si Ngongo.  :D  I think sa DWWW yata iyon.  It was part-news and part-entertainment.  Too bad na Johnny De Leon died at an early age.  Heart attack yata and it was around 1976.  Rod Navarro took over not long after that.

Honga pre! Ito sing NGONGO ang sumisigaw ng punchline nyang--" Bataaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang Maamis!!!" :lol: :D :thumbsupsmiley:

if I'm not mistaken kasabayan ni Johnny de Leon dati si Rafael Yabut -he with the silky voice too manning the newscasts...

sa bahay naman, DZRH ang istasyon ni ermats kung saan namamayagpag tuwing umaga si Rod Navarro. mga bandang mid to late 70s ito where Rod's sidekick on the air was Joe Taruc. at that time umi-extra pa lang si Noli Boy De Castro every sunday lang with his "noli linggo balita". joe taruc's and veep noli's fortune turned brighter when rod navarro abruptly left the country with the marcoses in the aftermath of edsa I.

did Rod Navarro leave? I remember always seeing him na nakatambay sa Pasig during the 70's. Ilang beses pa ngang kumandidato itong mayor lagi namang talo kay Caruncho :D Kahit dun sa amin lumaban din itong barangay captain talo din...

if I'm not mistaken kasabayan ni Johnny de Leon dati si Rafael Yabut -he with the silky voice too manning the newscasts...

did Rod Navarro leave? I remember always seeing him na nakatambay sa Pasig during the 70's. Ilang beses pa ngang kumandidato itong mayor lagi namang talo kay Caruncho :D  Kahit dun sa amin lumaban din itong barangay captain talo din...

If memory serves me right, Rod Navarro did not leave the country. However, his close association to the Marcoses made him so unpopular that he was forced to leave DWWW and move to the radio station run by the Iglesia ni Cristo. I just can't recall the station's name and call ID.

He's gone now. I think he passed away about 2 or 3 years ago from cancer yata.

Ilang beses nang niratrat si Paeng Yabut pro may taglay daw na agimat. Ngiwi na nga yan pero banat pa rin sa radyo at telebisyon hanggang sa namatay siya due to natural causes.

Si Rod Navarro naman ang tinaguriang King of Commercials nung kasikatan nya ng dekadang 70s. Isang umaga nakita namin ng pinsang kong sundalo at nataong nakatabi namin ang maneho nyang BMW sa kalagitnaan ng trapik sa West Ave. Sinaluduhan niya si pinsan (dati raw kasing PC Ranger yan at magaling daw tlagang gumamit ng .45 bago siya naging artista). Kahit saksakan ng hangin si Mr. Navaroo, maginoo yan at hindi nya nakakalimot sa pinanggalingan nya. Pag pinagsama mo yan, si Eddie Garcia at Vic Pacia---umaatikabong riot na comedy. :cool:

Paborito kong comedy show nung mga 70s ---BALTIC & CO. at BUHAY ARTISTA (nawala na sina Ading Fernando, Bayani Casimiro, Panchito, Vic Pacia, Babalu pero si Pidol na lang ang matibay hanggang ngayon.) :mtc:

Si Rod Navarro naman ang tinaguriang King of Commercials nung kasikatan nya ng dekadang 70s. Isang umaga nakita namin ng pinsang kong sundalo at nataong nakatabi namin ang maneho nyang BMW sa kalagitnaan ng trapik sa West Ave. Sinaluduhan niya si pinsan (dati raw kasing PC Ranger  yan at magaling daw tlagang gumamit ng .45 bago siya naging artista). Kahit saksakan ng hangin si Mr. Navaroo, maginoo yan at hindi nya nakakalimot sa pinanggalingan nya. Pag pinagsama mo yan, si Eddie Garcia at Vic Pacia---umaatikabong riot na comedy. :cool:

Paborito kong comedy show nung mga 70s ---BALTIC & CO. at BUHAY ARTISTA (nawala na sina Ading Fernando, Bayani Casimiro, Panchito, Vic Pacia, Babalu pero si Pidol na lang ang matibay hanggang ngayon.) :mtc:

Mr. Lychee,

Tama ka about Rod Navarro. Miyembro siya ng CIS (Criminal Investigation Service) branch ng Philippine Constabulary bago naging artista iyan. I remember a story told by a family friend na nagalit daw kay Rod Navarro si Pancho Magalona (another matinee idol from the 1950s and early 60s) due to the fact na Rod Navarro led a team of PC agents on a raid sa bahay ni Pancho on tips that illegal gambling was taking place in the Magalona residence.

As for favorite comedy shows, ang paborito ko noon were John and Marsha, Kuwentong Kutsero (a political satire), and Baltic & Co. :thumbsupsmiley: Unfortunately, a lot of those people are gone now. :(

And speaking of some memorable comedians of the 70s who have passed away:

Apeng Daldal - famous for his protruding teeth in Super Laff-In and Tangtarangtang

Cachupoy - our version of Charlie Chaplain, sidekick of Pancho Magalona in Magandang Tanghali

Chichay- of Nida-Nestor Show and Mrs. Milyonarya

Bentot - the eternal child of Tangtarangtang in the 60s and 70s

Tange - funndy houseboy in My Son, My Son also one of the cast in Super Laff-In

And speaking of some memorable comedians of the 70s who have passed away:

Apeng Daldal - famous for his protruding teeth in Super Laff-In and Tangtarangtang

Cachupoy - our version of Charlie Chaplain, sidekick of Pancho Magalona in Magandang Tanghali

Chichay- of Nida-Nestor Show and Mrs. Milyonarya

Bentot - the eternal child of Tangtarangtang in the 60s and 70s

Tange - funndy houseboy in My Son, My Son also one of the cast in Super Laff-In

Mga sidekick ni Dolphy na namaalam na:

Bayani Casimiro

Babalu

Ading Fernando

and Panchito

Iba pang mga comedians of the 70s na namaalam na rin

Pugo

Nida Blanca

Dely Atay-atayan

Dencio Padilla

Double-post.

Mga retired na?

Teroy de Guzman

Boy Alano

Pareng Storm,

Minor correction lang. Si Teroy de Guzman died siguro either during the late 80s or early 90s.

Idagdag na rin natin sina Patsy at Bert "Tawa" Marcelo to the list of comedians who are no longer with us.

I used to see Chichay in my elementary years. May mga anak siya who attended the same elementary and high school as I did.

Edited by willow_boy

Let's switch topics for a moment....

Mga pare and mare,

The 1970s saw a rivalry in the annals of Philippine sports history that has never been equalled to this day. This sports rivalry was of such intensity that it threatened to split Philippine society into 2. It pitted parent against child, grandparent against grandchild, sibling against sibling, kumpare against kumpare, kumare against kumare, kumpare against kumare (oops... teka ibang usapan na 'to), etc.. :)

Anyway, hardly any Filipino (except the mentally retarded) remained in a neutral camp in the storied rivalry that defined the 1970s Philippines. The rivalry that was ..... CRISPA vs. TOYOTA!!!

Panahon na para magka-alaman in these pages kung kanino kayo kumampe during that glorious time! "Let's re-ignite the passions!", wika nga but within the spirit of fun and good old reminiscing. Let's Go!! :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley:

Edited by willow_boy
Let's switch topics for a moment....

Mga pare and mare,

The 1970s saw a rivalry in the annals of Philippine sports history that has never been equalled to this day.  This sports rivalry was of such intensity that it threatened to split Philippine society into 2.  It pitted parent against child, grandparent against grandchild, sibling against sibling, kumpare against kumpare, kumare against kumare, kumpare against kumare (oops... teka ibang usapan na 'to), etc..  :) 

Anyway, hardly any Filipino (except the mentally retarded) remained in a neutral camp in the storied rivalry that defined the 1970s Philippines.  The rivalry that was .....  CRISPA vs. TOYOTA!!!

Panahon na para magka-alaman in these pages kung kanino kayo kumampe during that glorious time!  "Let's re-ignite the passions!", wika nga but within the spirit of fun and good old reminiscing.  Let's Go!!  :thumbsupsmiley:  :thumbsupsmiley:

i started a thread like that...in the sports section, yun lang naging inactive for some time kaya inalis ng mga mods... :grr: :thumbsdownsmiley: sayang...

anyways....DIE-HARD TOYOTA FANATIC HERE!!! ;) Jawo RULES!!! :boo: :thumbsupsmiley: especially the last reunion game..." Jaworskiiii....threeee poooints!!!" Panalo!!! :D

i started a thread like that...in the sports section, yun lang naging inactive for some time kaya inalis ng mga mods... :grr: :thumbsdownsmiley:  sayang...

anyways....DIE-HARD TOYOTA FANATIC HERE!!!  ;)  Jawo RULES!!! :boo:  :thumbsupsmiley: especially the last reunion game..." Jaworskiiii....threeee poooints!!!" Panalo!!! :D

Hahahaha.... CRISPA FAN HERE!!! REDMANIZERS ALL THE WAY!!! :D

2 Grand Slams! (Although hindi yata 70s iyong pangalawa under Tommy "gulo utak" Manotoc. Hehe...)